• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
It's done! I'm done!
After around 850 deaths and about 40 hours of playtime I finally managed to finish the game with 200 %, beating every boss on Expert with an S-rank, getting a Pacifist-rank in every run and gun level and collecting all the achievements.
I can say that it was still a very fair experience, but holy shit sometimes it just made my blood boil. I got to admit that most of the time I was playing with the 2 hearts-amulet, since with the charge shot I could still defeat most enemies on time and it was just too useful being able to get hit once or twice. I'd say the plane levels were the most difficult ones: Dr. Kahl's Robot and Wally Warbles almost broke me - most of the time I finished a new boss with an S rank after around 30-45 minutes of trying, but these two took a few hours. My thumb just hurts now.

The good thing though: I feel like playing through the game on normal should feel like a breeze now, so I'll definitely play through this game again as long my skills are still fresh.
What an amazing experience and probably one of my prouder gaming achievements!

p8r9h8gs.png
o9hb5mi9.png
Herzlichen Glückwunsch, Alter;)

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
The precision parrying you had to do against king dice was the toughest part of the game for me. If I didn't have at least 4 health after the gauntlet I knew I didn't have a chance to beat him.

Anyways I finally 100% the game last night. I may try to beat it on expert but idk yet I'm pretty satisfied with 100%
it was the randomness that threw me off most of the time the devil was a piece of cake compared to most bosses to me honestly

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Haha, all good. I now welcome the challenge. :)

Teeth, I've always wondered though -- is there a preset number of different card patterns programmed into the game for the Mr. Chimes battle, or are they completely randomized every time? If the former, could a prospective FAQ/guide maker conceivably take snapshots of all the existing patterns to help the, um, more memory-handicapped challenged player? :)

There are a couple of LUTs.

Honestly, there are very few things in the game that are actually random. Everything that seems "random" are usually different LUTs or sequenced lists that are jumped into at different points, then cycled through in order.

Truly random things don't feel sufficiently variable, so we tuned everything by hand.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Not putting a checkpoint or anything before king dice..... truly the work of the devil

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not putting a checkpoint or anything before king dice..... truly the work of the devil

King Dice is really easy so it's not that big a problem. The only issue is if the first three cards he sends out can't be parried and you have the Smoke Bomb equipped.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Any tips on the robot boss? It's the last one I need for that island and it's killing me. Way too much stuff on the screen and the last phase is a nightmare.

Oct 25, 2017
México
You just need to learn how to control the dice. I always take the same path and never got hit once. You must fight a minimum of 3 bosses. My path is:

• Space 3: Mr. Wheezy (Cigar)
  • Space 5: Hopus Hocus (Rabbit)
  • Space 7: Pirouletta (Roulette Wheel)

With the Dash Bomb charm, you can easily avoid all the attacks of those 3 bosses.

I will record videos of my strategy. Give me 1 hour.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any tips on the robot boss? It's the last one I need for that island and it's killing me. Way too much stuff on the screen and the last phase is a nightmare.

You need the extra hit point charm, trust me.

When he pulls out the magnet there's no hurtbox to it and it's honestly safer to just let yourself be pulled in.

I did Bottom > Middle > Top in terms of getting him out of his first phase and used my super to destroy his heart.

I used bombs for the first two phases but I don't actually know if they do more damage.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You need the extra hit point charm, trust me.

When he pulls out the magnet there's no hurtbox to it and it's honestly safer to just let yourself be pulled in.

I did Bottom > Middle > Top in terms of getting him out of his first phase and used my super to destroy his heart.

I used bombs for the first two phases but I don't actually know if they do more damage.

Okay, definitely investing in the extra heart. I've been doing bottom > middle > top as well. I actually have most trouble with the first and last phases.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, definitely investing in the extra heart. I've been doing bottom > middle > top as well. I actually have most trouble with the first and last phases.

Yeah first thing I did was get right up to his body and destroy both the middle and bottom sections, and then start focusing on his head. If you're just looking to beat the boss then don't worry about taking a hit here since there is so much shit flying at you it's really hard to dodge.

As for his third phase, there really is no strategy other than keeping your distance with the gun and weaving around the walls and energy attacks.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
You just need to learn how to control the dice. I always take the same path and never got hit once. You must fight a minimum of 3 bosses. My path is:

• Space 3: Mr. Wheezy (Cigar)
  • Space 5: Hopus Hocus (Rabbit)
  • Space 7: Pirouletta (Roulette Wheel)

With the Dash Bomb charm, you can easily avoid all the attacks of those 3 bosses.

I will record videos of my strategy. Give me 1 hour.

No need - I beat it already, was just saying it can be brutal at first.

Of course, if you wanna make a video for anyone else struggling, go for it. I just got to him with 4 hp and hid behind his hands.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No need - I beat it already, was just saying it can be brutal at first.

Of course, if you wanna make a video for anyone else struggling, go for it. I just got to him with 4 hp and hid behind his hands.

I tried cheesing him that way but never could. He'd damage me and his hands block my shots.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
wow, this dice bullshit might have just killed the game dead for me.

Up till now I was having a great time. Dying a lot, but loving it.

But I don't like this at all.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
I tried cheesing him that way but never could. He'd damage me and his hands block my shots.

I got in with 4 HP, and used chaser. Get behind his hand, wait for cards to pass, shoot him while you move to other side. Rinse repeat. He will put the same hand down twice in a row and you will likely take some hits if you're not good at parrying, but using this method I was basically able to tank through it (I had trouble parrying those cards)

This is not an optimal strat but it worked for me and I'm not especially skilled

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Everyone probably knows this already, but I was pretty shocked that Chaser is like, kinda broken? It completely trivializes Captain Brineybeard and significantly reduces the difficulty of Phantom Express.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
King Dice is really easy so it's not that big a problem. The only issue is if the first three cards he sends out can't be parried and you have the Smoke Bomb equipped.
Yeah I felt that if the first parry was on card #4 it was impossible not to take damage, I just made sure to land on all the +1 heart spaces and hope I got a good run on the cards, only hit Start Over twice. :|

Took a handful of attempts at the Devil but didn't even make it out of the first phase, does the timing on the jump/dash to avoid his hands clapping change? It felt like it had some slight variations to it.

wow, this dice bullshit might have just killed the game dead for me.

Up till now I was having a great time. Dying a lot, but loving it.

But I don't like this at all.
Keep at it, I was feeling like this too a lot during this "boss". Just try to force the dice roll so you always land on a +1 heart or safe space. You can get the timing down if you jump two digits before the one you want. EX: If it is rolling 1-2-3, jump on 1 to parry on 3.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Everyone probably knows this already, but I was pretty shocked that Chaser is like, kinda broken? It completely trivializes Captain Brineybeard and significantly reduces the difficulty of Phantom Express.
I cheesed my way through the entire game using Chaser, it's great. I've heard people swear that Rumor Honeybottoms is the hardest boss in the game, but Chaster turns her final form into a joke.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I cheesed my way through the entire game using Chaser, it's great. I've heard people swear that Rumor Honeybottoms is the hardest boss in the game, but Chaster turns her final form into a joke.

I didn't use chaser for her but I didn't have too much problem with her.

Oct 25, 2017
México
So, I just recorded these videos for the King Dice. Sadly, the Switch only records the last 30 seconds, so the fights will be incomplete. The fights are in Expert mode.

For my weapon, I only use the Roundabout, and for my charm, I use the Dash Bomb. And I use Super 1.

You first need to learn how to hit the dice. I need Space 3, Space 5, and Space 7. I can get the dice to hit those spaces 90% of the time. Very easy, you just need to jump one number after the number you want. If the dice rolls as 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 and you want a 3, you need to jump on 1 and then parry when you see the 3.

So, for the first boss (Cigar). Very easy to avoid the fireballs. Just keep shooting backwards. The Roundabout will hit the boss. When he turns into ashes, just Dash Bomb the floating cigarettes. Use the Super when the cigar is emerging from the ashes.

Next boss (rabbit). Just get on top of the card and keep shooting in any direction; the roundabout will hit the rabbit no matter which direction you shoot. It has two attacks: circle of skulls and some crystals with shapes. For the circle of skulls, just dash bomb through them to the left. For the crystals, you will hear a magical jingle/sound before the attack, so you can prepare to parry the pink figure. Just pay attention; when you hear that magical jingle, prepare to parry. Use the Super only when you are inside the circle of skulls, and only at the beginning of the attack (when the circle is bigger) so you have time to escape with a dash bomb.

And for the last boss, we need to hit Space 7 (roulette wheel). Very easy. You don't even need to jump at all. Just keep shooting the Roundabout in any direction. Dash bomb when the Roulette runs in your direction. When she shoots some balls in the air, stay still, shooting the roundabout. When the balls are about to drop in your position, dash bomb in the opposite direction. Use the Super only when the Roulette is doing that attack.

Disclaimer: I had 4 hearts on the rabbit boss and 5 hearts in the roulette boss because randomly, those spaces had hearts on them on that particular run. I didn't use the Twin Hearts charm (the Dash Bomb is more valuable on those bosses than the Twin Hearts charm).

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I felt that if the first parry was on card #4 it was impossible not to take damage, I just made sure to land on all the +1 heart spaces and hope I got a good run on the cards, only hit Start Over twice. :|

Took a handful of attempts at the Devil but didn't even make it out of the first phase, does the timing on the jump/dash to avoid his hands clapping change? It felt like it had some slight variations to it.

Keep at it, I was feeling like this too a lot during this "boss". Just try to force the dice roll so you always land on a +1 heart or safe space. You can get the timing down if you jump two digits before the one you want. EX: If it is rolling 1-2-3, jump on 1 to parry on 3.

If you're having trouble dodging his clap attack try air dodging at the peak of your jump to give you a little more time before you land.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've hit my first serious hurdle in this game, the Junkyard Jive battle.

First phase isn't too bad, I destroy the head laser, then the crotch plane launcher and then the chest pink laser-wall launcher and then unleash my super on the exposed heart to move to second phase. I've got a decent strategy but I can still easily lose lives in this phase. Second phase is easy apart from those sdlow moving homing bombs. Third phase is hectic af but I feel like if I could make it out of phases 1 and 2 without losing health I'd have a better chance.

Oct 25, 2017
México

First phase isn't too bad, I destroy the head laser, then the crotch plane launcher and then the chest pink laser-wall launcher and then unleash my super on the exposed heart to move to second phase. I've got a decent strategy but I can still easily lose lives in this phase. Second phase is easy apart from those sdlow moving homing bombs. Third phase is hectic af but I feel like if I could make it out of phases 1 and 2 without losing health I'd have a better chance.
You need to save your Super for the second phase. Don't waste your atomic bomb on the heart. Destroy the heart with regular bullets. Just keep shooting the heart and immediately (immediately!) destroy any bomb you see coming from the crotch (don't let the bombs chase you).

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017

https://youtu.be/R-TEfafTNfc

This video helped me quite a bit, they explain their tactics but their winning run is the final 2-3 minutes of the video if you want to skip ahead. This made the first phase so much shorter for me

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Hot tip on the Robot: if you're spaced right, your mini bombs can hit both the middle and bottom sections at the same time.

Other tips:
-On phase 1, i usually take out the top laser first, as it blocks bullets and will prevent damage on the other parts unless you constantly bait it to attack high.
- On phase 1, using mini-bombs on the bottom section will destroy most of the ships as they come out as well as damage the Robot part.
- On phase 1, i find it good to sort of even out the damage on the bottom and middle portions so that they die nearly at the same time. Just makes life easier.
- On phase 1, the middle robot-can enemy that you have to parry: once you parry him (so he's no longer pink), he can't damage you. He can block your shots, but not damage you.

-On phase 3, watch your plane, not the boss.
- focus on dodging, not on doing damage.
- Use EX shots when the boss delays between firing bullets (cuz then you don't have to worry about dodging, so you can focus on damage).
- A super (bomb) can work as a free HP in a panic situation.

Good luck!

Last edited:

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Just tried the game again tonight and unfortunately it just isn't for me. The game is too difficult, and I simply don't have time nor do I find it enjoyable replaying the same level/boss over and over again only to die at the end.

What makes things worse, there's an "easy" option, but you can't actually progress the game using it. I assume it's only there for people to use to "figure out" the boss/level, and then try again on regular difficulty. Which I find a load of B.S.

Easily the most disappointing game I've ever owned. Such a beautiful game with fun gameplay, needlessly hampered by difficulty.

Apr 25, 2018
I've got all the 3rd island bosses done now except for the Robot. I've never liked bullet hell type shooters so it's possibly too tough for me. I kind of wish all of the bosses were platforming bosses with no plane.

Still, very pleased and surprised I made it this far, brilliant game with amazing animation.

Oct 28, 2017
So you know how we used to say 'Wow, that 16 bit game looks so good, it looks like a cartoon!'.

Well I was thinking, obviously this IS a cartoon right? It's the HEIGHT of the craft. This is the pinnacle of making a game that looks like a cartoon! 20 years from now, you can go back to this game and say 'wow this game looks fantastic'. If someone were to attempt to make Cuphead decades from now, they would have trouble making it any better than it is now.

That's awesome.

I agree that Cuphead truly is a visual masterpiece, and really nails the vintage cartoon look. But I remember having a similar epiphany to what you're describing when playing Wario Land: Shake Dimension back in 2008.

When we were kids we always talked about "cartoon-like graphics", and I even remember they used those exact words when advertising the Intellivision System. (Talk about hyperbole!)

Shake Dimension was the first time I thought "Wow, it really is true now – these graphics are exactly like a cartoon". It's not as visually striking, and is only an OK game, but I just thought it was fun to share my similar thoughts from 10+ years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Just tried the game again tonight and unfortunately it just isn't for me. The game is too difficult, and I simply don't have time nor do I find it enjoyable replaying the same level/boss over and over again only to die at the end.

What makes things worse, there's an "easy" option, but you can't actually progress the game using it. I assume it's only there for people to use to "figure out" the boss/level, and then try again on regular difficulty. Which I find a load of B.S.

Easily the most disappointing game I've ever owned. Such a beautiful game with fun gameplay, needlessly hampered by difficulty.
What boss are you having trouble right now? My suggestion would be to stick to one boss only and just practice. Keep in mind that a lot of us (well, at least me) had to repeat and repeat and repeat each level dozens of times before getting S-Ranks. For example, for the Robot boss, it took me close 3 hours to get an S-Rank. I had to retry every time I got hit.

Just keep practicing. Don't hop between each boss if you can defeat them the first time.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Was able to get through the first world without too much trouble. The slot machine (tigers grr) and the last phase of the flower guy gave me the most trouble, everything else was down in a handful of tries.

Should I be agonizing too much about what to buy in the shop or is is possible to afford all of it in one playthrough? I've bought the homing and spread shot, and the extra HP.

Nov 9, 2017
Dang, beating Djimmi on Expert with the new mini puphead marionette form was kinda tough. Anybody else complete the new/hidden forms of Root Pack, Sally Stageplay, and Djimmi?

Oct 25, 2017
México
Was able to get through the first world without too much trouble. The slot machine (tigers grr) and the last phase of the flower guy gave me the most trouble, everything else was down in a handful of tries.

Should I be agonizing too much about what to buy in the shop or is is possible to afford all of it in one playthrough? I've bought the homing and spread shot, and the extra HP.
The Dash Bomb is essential for my style of playing. It's also very useful to get the Pacifist rank in the Run & Gun levels.

Nov 9, 2017
I only knew about the new form of the Root Pack (radish). How do I get the new forms for Djimmi and Sally?

Djimmi Secret Phase

As Djimmi is scanning the player prior to phase four, if the players shrink into the mini-plane form, Djimmi will pull out a dinosaur, a mini Dr. Kahl's Robot and a stone statue

Sally Stageplay Secret Phases

In phase 1, when Sally blows the pink heart at the players, it can be parried to allow the player to jump up on cherubs hanging from both sides. For each time Cuphead or Mugman lands on the cherubs they will be weighed down, and the chandelier will shake and make a sound. When both are lowered, phase 1 suddenly ends as the chandelier falls on the husband and crushes him (as the husband looks up with his eyes popping out of his head), as Sally goes into the background plane and beginning to mourn her partner's death.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Djimmi Secret Phase

As Djimmi is scanning the player prior to phase four, if the players shrink into the mini-plane form, Djimmi will pull out a dinosaur, a mini Dr. Kahl's Robot and a stone statue

Sally Stageplay Secret Phases

In phase 1, when Sally blows the pink heart at the players, it can be parried to allow the player to jump up on cherubs hanging from both sides. For each time Cuphead or Mugman lands on the cherubs they will be weighed down, and the chandelier will shake and make a sound. When both are lowered, phase 1 suddenly ends as the chandelier falls on the husband and crushes him (as the husband looks up with his eyes popping out of his head), as Sally goes into the background plane and beginning to mourn her partner's death.
Oh, wow. Thanks.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
What boss are you having trouble right now? My suggestion would be to stick to one boss only and just practice. Keep in mind that a lot of us (well, at least me) had to repeat and repeat and repeat each level dozens of times before getting S-Ranks. For example, for the Robot boss, it took me close 3 hours to get an S-Rank. I had to retry every time I got hit.

Just keep practicing. Don't hop between each boss if you can defeat them the first time.
Just all the first world ones (except I beat one in the garden). Likewise for the levels, I beat one level. I have also beaten the other bosses on the easy difficulty, but not the required normal (I can't even muster c rank).

But that's what I mean, the game isn't for me if it's about repeating levels this many times. I have very limited time with games, so I can't afford to just keep repeating (I also find it quite boring, especially on levels, to keep repeating).

They literally have easy mode baked in, why not just let me finish the game like that? Just make easy mode viable, add check points in for easy mode as well, then let all the hardcore fans play on normal and try for S rank. There's no reason to limit the game's audience like this.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Just all the first world ones (except I beat one in the garden). Likewise for the levels, I beat one level. I have also beaten the other bosses on the easy difficulty, but not the required normal (I can't even muster c rank).

But that's what I mean, the game isn't for me if it's about repeating levels this many times. I have very limited time with games, so I can't afford to just keep repeating (I also find it quite boring, especially on levels, to keep repeating).

They literally have easy mode baked in, why not just let me finish the game like that? Just make easy mode viable, add check points in for easy mode as well, then let all the hardcore fans play on normal and try for S rank. There's no reason to limit the game's audience like this.
No offense... the game is hard, but not that hard. Have you played 2D games before? SNES, NES games? Are you playing with the d-pad or joystick? What kind of games are you used to play?

I just want to help and trying to find if maybe you are doing something wrong?

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
No offense... the game is hard, but not that hard. Have you played 2D games before? SNES, NES games? Are you playing with the d-pad or joystick?

I just want to help and trying to find if maybe you are doing something wrong?
2D platformers are my favourite genre. Been playing since the NES. Pretty sure i should be skilled enough. I have a new baby and so I'm pretty strict on my time allowance.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You need to save your Super for the second phase. Don't waste your atomic bomb on the heart. Destroy the heart with regular bullets. Just keep shooting the heart and immediately (immediately!) destroy any bomb you see coming from the crotch (don't let the bombs chase you).

This helped a lot, thanks! Got reeaaally close to beating him this morning on the train, I reckon I should have no probs tonight when I try it on the big TV.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the game, at 98% probably because I am missing a few Coins and don't have the twin hearts. Mostly really enjoyed it, despite some of the times you can just get straight up unlucky which are frustrating ex. the devils minions in particular created a few situations where I could not avoid a hit

Would probably go insane if I went back to try on expert...we'll see

Oct 25, 2017
México
Beat the game, at 98% probably because I am missing a few Coins and don't have the twin hearts. Mostly really enjoyed it, despite some of the times you can just get straight up unlucky which are frustrating ex. the devils minions in particular created a few situations where I could not avoid a hit

Would probably go insane if I went back to try on expert...we'll see
You will be surprised how good you became. Try the first bosses on Expert and see how they will not be that hard this time.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I defeated the robot! I love how I keep managing to do things I previously thought were impossible in this game.

Same here. The extra heart made all the difference; funnily enough, I got about 95% of the way through on one run with only 2 HP on the final boss... and lost. Then I had 4 HP going into the final phase, got nervous because it seemed like I could win, and quickly lost 3 of it. I was able to win though because I built up a second Super and that did the trick. I let out an audible gasp when I won.

What are the best equips for the King Dice boss gauntlet?

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Same here. The extra heart made all the difference; funnily enough, I got about 95% of the way through on one run with only 2 HP on the final boss... and lost. Then I had 4 HP going into the final phase, got nervous because it seemed like I could win, and quickly lost 3 of it. I was able to win though because I built up a second Super and that did the trick. I let out an audible gasp when I won.

What are the best equips for the King Dice boss gauntlet?

You're going to get a lot of different answers on this one. I think the Chaser is a good weapon for the actual final boss, King Dice, so you can just focus on jumping and staying alive, while still dealing damage. I think I went with Charge Shot for my other gun, or Peashooter, or whatever you like.

I think Smoke Dash is vital, there are a few fights that are super easy if you have that because you can negate the tricky parts. And I like either the Lv 1 Super Art, or going Art-less and just mashing EX moves.

... yeah when I think about going through the bosses again, now on Expert, I usually have the Chaser with me just for the phases where you want to concrete on staying alive and not so much dealing damage... because you can do both (damage/defense) with the Chaser. I feel like it's always my secondary weapon to Charge Shot, Looper, or Peashooter.

Oct 28, 2017
Well King Dice seemed impossible without the smoke dash, but the trick of hiding behind Dice's hand really made it possible for me to beat it.