Akai

Oct 25, 2017
572dc161-0e1c-4ff2-ae9f-bfc4d03ecb08.jpg

"Cuphead is a classic run and gun action game heavily focused on boss battles. Inspired by cartoons of the 1930s, the visuals and audio are painstakingly created with the same techniques of the era, i.e. traditional hand drawn cel animation, watercolor backgrounds, and original jazz recordings.

Play as Cuphead or Mugman (in single player or local co-op) as you traverse strange worlds, acquire new weapons, learn powerful super moves, and discover hidden secrets while you try to pay your debt back to the devil!"

Where to buy? Xbox One and Windows 10 (Play Anywhere)| Steam | GOG
Price: 19.99$
Release Date: 29th September 2017
Publisher/Developer: StudioMDHR Entertainment | Website
Size: ~11 GB
f2KwWu2.png

dgnfcIS.gif
qaHEbE5.gif
4Zb3G5f.gif
YVR6Si1.gif
ccugRH5.gif

LEALlui.png

Metacritic - 86
OpenCritic - 88

QFvLelA.png

Is this an Xbox Play Anywhere supported title?
Yup, but as always you'll have to play it through the Windows Store on PC.

So this is a boss rush game, right?
The first iteration was solely a boss rush game. Years of delays gave opportunity to add in a slew of platforming levels. The developers consider the game to be roughly 75% bosses and 25% platforming levels.

How about multiplayer; can I use the interwebs?
Afraid not. The internet wasn't a thing back in the 1930's, so you're going to have to stick with two cups on one screen for local co-op goodness. The developers have hinted at online support post release though!

The weird color separation hurts my eyes!
Fear not there's a chromatic aberration slider that should allow you to turn it all the way off, or blast it up to 11.

Is this the Dark Souls of...
Please stop right there. Sure yup, its considered a tough one and there's that popular journalist video doing the rounds but the developers coin it "tough but fair". Cuphead has its roots in classic arcade-style games, games that really made you earn success. Also to get past that first jump in the tutorial, try jumping off the rock and dashing!

Does this game have one of those horrible streaming policies?
It sure does! But it's not one of those restrictive and odd ones. You can read it in full here, but essentially go wild and share the beauty of Cuphead with everyone and anyone.

c0lKl6L.png

NsHkMmp.png

Bonus:

All Credit goes to Wozzer. He was nice enough to provide all of his previous work to make this OP look nicer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Akai

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that I didn't step on anyone's toes by creating this thread. I checked the |OT| |OT| thread and nobody reserved this, so I thought I should make a quick and dirty one. Just wanted a Cuphead thread on ERA. :)

I'm still playing and need the last 5 contracts from Isle 3 to complete the game. Beat them all on Simple, but on Regular I'm getting my ass kicked. At least I got the Pacifist Achievement done and that was easier than I thought.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
I'm stuck on that robot, but I'm slowly making progress. It is a fuck to get past phase 1 without taking a couple hits.

OP
OP
Akai

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Uhm buddy, do you want me to help you with this? It's kind of a barebones OT.

I know. I just wanted this thread to exist. :P

Not sure if it's worth the trouble, but go for it if you want to.

I'm stuck on that robot, but I'm slowly making progress. It is a fuck to get past phase 1 without taking a couple hits.

I didn't even beat the Robot on Simple. Did the 1st phase skip on him. lol

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Loving this game. I saw the Target ad has what looks like physical copies for sale.

hiryu64

Oct 27, 2017
Love this game, but I feel like the coop makes it way harder than it needs to be. Also I'll probably never get the expert mode achievement.

but fuck that beach platforming level tho

OP
OP
Akai

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

JGCD

Oct 25, 2017
Plan on doing a replay with a friend on expert mode. Gonna be funny stuff

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
My wife and I LOVE this game. Big congratulations to the development team!!! It is hard for us and we are stuck on the second level at this point. However, I know we will eventually get through. We probably won't be doing any expert achievements on this. Haha.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they release a Mac version so I can play this

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
I finally picked this up yesterday - was waiting till I was happy enough with where I'd got to in Mario first.

Fucking amazing, so glad it lives up to the hype after such a long wait. Just got to the 2nd isle this evening and I'm loving every second. So far managed to keep the rage at bay, I think it's just because the game's so damned fun I don't mind having to replay stuff.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played this yet, keep teetering on the edge. Everytime I go to buy it, I think about everyone saying how hard it is and I'm not sure I need that kind of anger in my life right now.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat this last night. Probably my game of the year so far. It took me around 17 hours... I got stuck for a substantial amount of time on Dr. Kahl's Robot, Mr. Dice, and the Devil.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing this with my girlfriend. We got through world 1 and 2 fine, but damn, some of those world 3 battles are hard!

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still can't beat that dock run 'n gun. My brain can't dodge shrimp, watch out for a clam that is shooting me from behind, grab that one coin, and get enough air to avoid going down with that octopus all at once. Hell, I'm still not sure if I'm doing that last bit right. It's starting to take a toll on my enjoyment and makes me want to just fight the bosses, but it doesn't help when said bosses are the likes of that robot.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Probably my GOTY so far. Managed to 100% the achievements recently, but didn't end up doing all S-Ranks on Expert or anything. Props to those that could, you da real MVPS.

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
The game is getting a lot of attention and recognition recently after launch. I even saw some students in my college playing it on their laptops.

So happy for the devs releasing a game while taking risks during development and earning a lot of success. I really need to catch up with a lot of games such as this.

Oct 25, 2017
I got this game at launch and i got as far as the beehive in the third world.

And I Haven't been able to continue until today. I don't know if it is because i haven't played for a couple of weeks but it feels like there's a difficulty spike in world 3.

Ailanthium

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
I got this game at launch and i got as far as the beehive in the third world.

And I Haven't been able to continue until today. I don't know if it is because i haven't played for a couple of weeks but it feels like there's a difficulty spike in world 3.

There's a small difficulty spike in some of the first few bosses, but other bosses in World 3 rank among the easiest for me. You might just be taking on the tougher ones first, like Dr. Kahl's Robot or Rumor Honeybottoms. Those two are no joke.

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game a week ago and I loved it. The default button mapping is a bit dumb, but fortunately those are remappable. I really liked the soundtrack.

The robot is a real pain, in the first phase I always tried to destroy his 3 modules mostly at the same time.
I took care of the planes as the spawned the then focused on the middle part and the head.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
I'm watching tutorials on how to master the first phase of the robot and it's blowing me away that so many players are prioritizing destroying the laser satellite first, then the parryable object that shoots a vertical beam, then finally the lowermost hatch that shoots out small drones that fill the screen. Dodging the laser is so easy. just lure it to a part of the screen where you aren't going to be in the next few seconds and when it fires, move to that other part of the screen. Piece of cake. Doing this while taking out the drone factory first seems crucial to avoid a clusterfuck of shit filling up the entire screen lol. I don't get the laser satellite > pink object > drone hatch method at all, but props to whoever does it that way, you have more skill than me.

The robot is a real pain, in the first phase I always tried to destroy his 3 modules mostly at the same time.
I took care of the planes as the spawned the then focused on the middle part and the head.

Yeah, I think I'm finally getting to the point of almost pulling that off now, and it is definitely helping with that first phase.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I LOVE this game. Big congratulations to the development team!!! It is hard for us and we are stuck on the second level at this point. However, I know we will eventually get through. We probably won't be doing any expert achievements on this. Haha.

My Kids love this game. They play it all the time and we play co-op a ton. We all suck but we have a blast. My wife hates gaming and never is involved but she walked by and said wow this looks cool. It's a playable cartoon. I said basically and she couldn't stop staring at it.

The only game she ever paid attention too. Lol

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I wanted to ask how you get an S-rank on a run-n-gun level. I think I was trying it for an achievement but couldn't figure it out.I did beat the game, and I enjoyed mastering the levels and bosses before continuing. I thinkt he train boss gave me the hardest time.
I still can't beat that dock run 'n gun. My brain can't dodge shrimp, watch out for a clam that is shooting me from behind, grab that one coin, and get enough air to avoid going down with that octopus all at once. Hell, I'm still not sure if I'm doing that last bit right. It's starting to take a toll on my enjoyment and makes me want to just fight the bosses, but it doesn't help when said bosses are the likes of that robot.
If I may plug my own video run of the game at that part. I remember the dock giving me a hard time, but mostly at the beginning with all the randomness involved. There's a lot going on in the end, so I found it easier to just sit still and manage the obstacles one at a time. I'm sure the mistakes I made are relateable too.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll finally get to play this on Tuesday when I get my X. Can't wait, it looks incredible.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
i still need to finish the planes level in expert to get all the achievement.... but it's freaking hard, i got everything else except that
Took me a few tries to beat the Zeppelin in expert mode. Had no issues really on the bosses up to that point, but that one gave me a real challenge. Still need to get round to finishing the rest of the game in expert mode. Once I'm done with Hellblade I'll have to go back to it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Oh hey Cuphead OT, I missed you!

I'm currently at the third Island and both the Bee lady and Robot are destroying me, especially the robot, he throws so many shit at me I get a sensory overload and panic and die.

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to ask how you get an S-rank on a run-n-gun level. I think I was trying it for an achievement but couldn't figure it out.

You can't. There is no expert difficulty for run & gun levels so no S ranks. A+ is the highest if you are killing stuff and P rank is the actual highest rank you can get in them.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
My GOTY 2017. Beautiful game.

Start destroying from bottom to top. Destroy the belly before the small ships-like things go out, then the chest (don't forget to parry to full your meter), then go to the head and use your special. You'll finish the first phase in no time without taking a hit. The next transformations are simple and easier to deal.

note: always destroy the bombs, don't let them wandering around.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Took me a few tries to beat the Zeppelin in expert mode. Had no issues really on the bosses up to that point, but that one gave me a real challenge. Still need to get round to finishing the rest of the game in expert mode. Once I'm done with Hellblade I'll have to go back to it.

to me the hardest is the robot, i actually only miss this one and the bird, already finished the genie and zeppelin, i don't think i forgot an other boss

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
to me the hardest is the robot, i actually only miss this one and the bird, already finished the genie and zeppelin, i don't think i forgot an other boss

I'm definitely interested to see how the robot works in expert mode. The first phase was 90% of the difficulty for me in my first playthrough, once I got past that I was fine. Though the bullet hell bit on the final phase might catch me out if its made any harder for expert.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I'm definitely interested to see how the robot works in expert mode. The first phase was 90% of the difficulty for me in my first playthrough, once I got past that I was fine. Though the bullet hell bit on the final phase might catch me out if its made any harder for expert.

we're really different haha, i have more trouble on the final phase of the robot honestly, the first phase i can beat it pretty easily now

LinkMaster111

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still amazed they were able to pull it off, to be honest. Cuphead is incredible and worth every bit of the hype it received.

Deleted member 23068

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to purchase this today. I was holding off due to having a few other games in my backlog but I finished Oddysee last night so it's a perfect time to start this.

Wozzer

QA Architect at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Glad to see a return of the Cuphead OT! I created the original over at the other place, so I've sent you a DM with its contents if you want to take anything to flesh out your OT further. Up to you ^_^.

Do miss the old controversial title though :P

Fantastic game, one of the highlights of the year. Can't wait to see what the developers do next.

Eszik

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I beat it a few days ago, it was a lot of fun! A bit frustrating sometimes and boss kills are often weirdly unsatisfying because they take you by surprise, but the patterns are really creative and the art direction is obviously stunning. I don't think I'll go back to it for A+ or S ranks though, I've got too many other games to play :p

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
What are the people consensus on the hardest bosses? For me the Bee and the Dragon were the more annoying by far. The pain in my hands lasted for days because of theses two.
I have a really bad time dealing with things where you have to shoot to one side/direction while running to the opposite (ie, Dragon's second phase and Bee's third phase).

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I finished a full playthrough in co-op the other week. One of my favorite games, bar none. I think co-op on Normal is probably a more difficult way to play than Expert, with the way the shot power scales down with two people.

I'm really happy seeing the strong sales. This is a team that absolutely deserves it.

GNEVERD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this game as insanely hard as it is being portrayed in some circles?
I have it on PC, but I don't have an Xbox controller for my laptop. I've tried playing with the keyboard, which seems doable, but I can't get past the first boss...on normal. Figure I'll go hard with it when my X1X comes.