• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deraldin

Oct 25, 2017
Onion Rings should be first on this list.
Onion Rings are not fries. They should be disqualified from this discussion before that shit even begins.

That said, waffle fries are the best. Not sure how to qualify curly fries as curly fries pretty much = Arby's, so that's not so much curly fries in general being good as Arby's curly fries are good.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
Straight cut french fries, also thick cut. Curly is fine but the worst by far are fish & chip shop chips in the UK. They are softer, they have no crunch and they are arduous to eat.

Deleted member 13131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a big difference in taste between each form?
I am probably okay with all forms.
There are wide differences in the ratio of crispy fried surface to fluffy middle across them which does alter the taste, and some like wedges and curly fries are often seasoned (some waffle fries are as well).

I definitely prefer thicker fries - such as wedges and steak fries - over say, shoestring fries. I like the fluffy middle with the crispy outside.

DoggosPuppersWoofers

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Home
14254932794154gkqa.jpeg

Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside.

Home or Steak.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are wide differences in the ratio of crispy fried surface to fluffy middle across them which does alter the taste, and some like wedges and curly fries are often seasoned (some waffle fries are as well).

I definitely prefer thicker fries - such as wedges and steak fries - over say, shoestring fries. I like the fluffy middle with the crispy outside.
Well, lets make all the same way, same seasoning, and cook them to perfection. Would the surface then make a difference in taste? I am not really sure.

Deleted member 13131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, lets make all the same way, same seasoning, and cook them to perfection. Would the surface then make a difference in taste? I am not really sure.
I think so. The inside of a potato wedge tastes different from the surface, because of both the cooking and the seasoning. In different shapes and cuts, you're going to have different ratios of those components, resulting in a different final flavor. Texture is also a huge factor in preference, and the texture of eating McDonald's fries bears little resemblance to wedges and even curly fries, for example.

Some cuts, such as wedges, also have the skin attached and that also affects the flavor (vs. most shoestring potatoes, for example).

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think so. The inside of a potato wedge tastes different from the surface, because of both the cooking and the seasoning. In different shapes and cuts, you're going to have different ratios of those components, resulting in a different final flavor. Texture is also a huge factor in preference, and the texture of eating McDonald's fries bears little resemblance to wedges and even curly fries, for example.

Some cuts, such as wedges, also have the skin attached and that also affects the flavor (vs. most shoestring potatoes, for example).
I can agree that thicker fries are good for rips or steak.
Still keep my opinion though, they all are roughly the same outside of, as you mentioned, thickness and thus texture inside.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not as concerned about the shape so much as the flavor and the texture. I've had amazing fries in all of these shapes.

Oct 27, 2017
Too many mentions of wedges.

Those shouldn't be classified as fries. You might as well just eat a baked potato at that point, which taste way better anyways.