• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Thought this was a pretty cool thing to see after the recent news with Activision Blizzard.

Looks like all the positions listed here are for an 'unannounced project' and since the mobile game has been announced, it can't be for that right? Please don't let it be ANOTHER mobile game.

Pretty much has to be Diablo 4 related right? RIGHT?!?

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
That's always infuriating when you job opening while they are layoffs at the same time.

In my company there are literally planning to ged rid of some people, but they are still hiring for the "same" roles...

Blitz

Oct 29, 2017
That's always infuriating when you job opening while they are layoffs at the same time.

In my company there are literally planning to ged rid of some people, but they are still hiring for the "same" roles...

pretty common. That's how one gets rid of the bad bunch, low performing, older, or higher paying, etc.

Then high new people for half the price.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US

Yeah hopefully some of those laid off were considered for the posted positions but I imagine if they're not qualified, then it's not something they can transfer into. Who knows, just hope those affected find something soon.

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's reckless speculation to assume they didn't try to move people around that fit. They didn't fire 16 people today.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Well, this fit with what Kottick said earlier, cutting "expenses" in other departments in order to grow their development force by 20%. Already begun.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I think it's reckless speculation to assume they didn't try to move people around that fit. They didn't fire 16 people today.
Yeah. If they're anything like companies I've worked for in the past, not in the gaming industry though, they still have to post the positions and go through the normal process to look to fill the spots. Who knows, some of these 16 might already have people they're gonna fill into the role. Hopefully.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
One of the more interesting open Diablo positions is for a "Quest Designer"...

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

pretty common. That's how one gets rid of the bad bunch, low performing, older, or higher paying, etc.

They didn't lay off devs as far as we know. They laid off support / aux staff

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
One of the more interesting open Diablo positions is for a "Quest Designer"...
Yeah and that specific position doesn't look to have any specific past game development requirements. I usually look at these and most always need something relating to having worked on a past AAA title, etc. Seems like a pretty entry level type position unless I'm reading it wrong.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

This isn't whats happening though, they are getting rid of e-sports people, and PR related people for games where the community is dying down (which is seemingly every blizzard game at this point).

At the same time they are hiring the people that actually build games.

You can't transfer the community manager for world of warcraft to quest developer of diablo 4. The skillset is entirely different.