• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Such a strange atmosphere. Sort of dystopian, almost cyberpunk. Lying in rows with other cash-strapped people under bright fluorescent lights, tubes in our arms attached to humming machines that pump our blood out to be made into profit margins for giant pharmaceutical companies. Surrounded by shiny, idyllic posters of models smiling and telling us what great heroes we are, how we're saving lives, next to glass cases showcasing boxes of the expensive medicine to be made from our plasma. Bored techs going through the motions, telling us how it's perfectly safe, that the tingling in our fingers is from the anticoagulant and it's perfectly normal and there's nothing we can do about it. Giant logos, brochures, fingerprint kiosks, long lines of tired people, all for a debit card that has a surcharge for every transaction. But it's okay, there's a rewards program! So you'd better keep on donating — you might be able to get a laptop! All while the glossy photos of models smile, smile, smile... what heroes you are, what angels...

What a surreal place.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
I do it too, but kind of an illegal way, since I live in the border and I'm a Mexican citizen and only have a tourist visa legally I should not be able to donate, but the plasma center doesn't care lol Without us Mexicans the center could not have been sustained.

They pay us shit btw, $25 per donation

rstzkpf

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope I'm never so cash-strapped that I have to donate my own bodily fluids. Yikes.
I do it too, but kind of an illegal way, since I live in the border and I'm a Mexican citizen and only have a tourist visa legally I should not be able to donate, but the plasma center doesn't care lol Without us Mexicans the center could not have been sustained.

Uh... that's sounds super sketchy.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
You're making a pretty big deal out of this. Reminds me of when I donated blood in HS and no one was tripping like you seem to be

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
That sounds nothing like my experiences while donating blood. It's strange to read.

You don't get paid for donating here, and the way it works is that the blood services do traveling clinics, for lack of a better term. Blood techs get picked up in a van, and drive to different towns where clinics have been arranged. Ours are usually at a hockey arena, sometimes at a local church when that's not available. They come here once a month.

These clinics are usually pretty relaxed. You walk in, talk to the people at a table with a computer in front of them and they sign you in and book your next appointment if you agree. Then you go to a tablet, fill out a questionnaire (which can be done at home) about how you're feeling, and then wait to talk to a nurse who takes your blood pressure and texts your iron level. This is usually done in kiosks that are temporarily walled by those big folding mats from gym class. Then, you go wait in one of the usually many available chairs until they call you to go lay down on one of their reclining chairs and do the donation.

They make you read a pamphlet, which I just fake read now since I've seen and read it so many times. Everyone is happy, there's no real pressure (sure, they'll call if you don't have an appointment booked and it's been a bit, because they're always in need but that's not annoying) and there's nothing in the way of fingerprint kiosks, big brochures, logos, etc.

Canadian Blood Services does have permanent clinic locations, but they sometimes have weird hours and are generally not all that busy when I've gone in. They're quaint, clean, and bright. At least the one I went to was.

I'd donate more, but they only allow you to every two months for personal health reasons. I've also been turned away before, because of low iron and hard-to-find veins that require me to drink a ton of water beforehand. Last time the first lady who tried to do the donation couldn't find my vein, even though I'd drank around 12 bottles of water. She didn't believe me when I told her and was rude to me, then got asked to take a break by her supervisor and someone I had dealt with before did it.

Edit: I forgot plasma is different, but don't Americans also get paid for donating blood sometimes? It's illegal to pay donors for either here.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Eh you're potentially helping someone out, and making a bit of cash from it; nothing wrong with that.

Also I wasn't aware that there was a surcharge with the cards. That's crappy.

Oct 25, 2017
México

I used to do it too. There is nothing illegal in that.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
You're making a pretty big deal out of this. Reminds me of when I donated blood in HS and no one was tripping like you seem to be

I've donated blood plenty of times before. This is plasma, which is a for-profit affair and a pretty different vibe. But I'm not really tripping, just have nothing else to do but describe my surroundings while waiting for an hour for the machine to do its thing.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, to be fair, it is different for plasma. Takes longer and you're actually paid for it.

I've donated blood plenty of times before. This is plasma, which is a for-profit affair and totally different. But I'm not really tripping, just have nothing else to do but describe my surroundings while waiting for an hour for the machine to do its thing.

I know it's not the same, but I meant the way you described your surroundings and everyone around you. The lines of people hooked up, the bored techs, the posters encouraging you to do it again, etc

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Thread I made years ago.

https://www./threads/have-you-been-spending-too-much-money-on-games-here-is-a-good-tip.424059/

Smart

I'd definitely do it if they paid for it here, but would still do it even without being paid if asked. I know I'm set up to donate bone marrow or stem cells if they find a match, but don't know if I've registered to donate plasma or how.

It feels good to donate, and I feel it's the least I can do.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Weird. They have special clinics for plasma donation, and there's only one in this whole province. It's multiple hours away. Blood it is, I guess.

beloved freak

Oct 27, 2017
Last time I donated, the lady stuck the needle in wrong twice. Ended up with slightly-painful swelling that lasted for over a month, dunno if I'll ever do it again.

Good money tho. Paid for Persona 5.