1. ggx2ac

ggx2ac
    Member OP

I saw this getting asked a lot in the thread about online not being free anymore in a month.

If you go to the eShop, and look at an online game like Minecraft, it will have something like this in the fine print:

"To use online services you must have access to a wireless internet connection. Some online services may not be available in all countries. From the full launch of the Nintendo Switch Online membership service in 2018, online play requires a paid membership."

Lots of retail games with online play have that fine print.
    However, if you look at the following free to play games:

Paladins
    Fortnite
    Pokémon Quest
    Dawn of the Breakers
    Fallout Shelter
    Galak-Z: Variant S
    Zaccaria Pinball
    The Pinball Arcade
    Kitten Squad
    Pinball FX3

None of them have that fine print.

2. djinnEXE

djinnEXE

That's good right

3. PK_Wonder

PK_Wonder

Strange, seems like a missed money opportunity since I'm sure the amount of people who only play Fortnite when it comes to online is non-negligible.

4. skittzo0413

skittzo0413

Interesting find. I hope they do come out and confirm this soon.

Yes haha

5. Saint-14

Saint-14

That’s good if it turns out true.

6. patapon

patapon

Good job Nintendo. F2P games should be 'Free to play', not locked behind a paywall.

7. tolkir

tolkir

So, it's free to play.

8. GreedyG

GreedyG

My opinion on this might be unpopular, but I've always found the distinction arbitrary.

Online play on for a free title has the same cost/impact on the platform holder as a full price paid title (if not more so because more people are willing to try). Obviously I'd prefer it if the platform holders absorbed the cost of online and made it free across the board, which is unlikely, but I've always found the stance from Sony (& now Nintendo) odd.

9. KoolAid

KoolAid

As it should.

10. StereoVSN

StereoVSN

Smart move by Nintendo. That got Sony a lot of mileage as well.

11. Dyle

Dyle

Good, as with everything else with this service it should have been more clearly communicated from the get go

12. Phantom Thief

Phantom Thief

So Microsoft is the odd one out on this.

13. Mandos

Mandos

Makes sense most of them rely on their own internal servers anyways

14. Fonst

Fonst

Is Galak online or just F2P/you need an online connection to proceed?

15. ShinobiBk

ShinobiBk

Kitten Squad had online play?
    Damn Peta

16. bsigg

bsigg

I would hold out until the service launches to see if anything changes. Hopefully F2P are truly F2P on the Switch unlike Xbox.

17. julian

julian

That’s upsetting. Not because I want them to charge for free to play games, but because I’d hoped they limited the subscription to Nintendo made online games.

18. Cinder Fall

Cinder Fall

That's good, it's annoying that only Xbox is the one doing this right now.

19. Medalion

Medalion

It makes a certain amount of sense, despite someone argued to contrary when I said this...

Nintendo Online is for the services Nintendo themselves are forking over for servers and storage space and content... obviously third party games that do their own servers, unless aligned through Nintendo's deal, is not a requirement because it bypasses Nintendo's network.

20. Slam Tilt

Slam Tilt

I’m sure someone will spin it as a negative.

21. NLCPRESIDENT

NLCPRESIDENT

Yea, but usually a bigger return on those F2P titles. And free is free, and if MS is the only one doing so, they will have the lowest users for those titles. They still will make it up from xbl, so it’s probably a win across the board.

22. julian

julian

But then why is the text on Minecraft? They don’t host Minecraft servers.

23. skittzo0413

skittzo0413

If you're an investor it's not necessarily the best news. Some investor may point out that this doesn't let them leverage Fortnite's popularity to earn more subscription revneue.

But for consumers it's undeniably good news, yes.

24. Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

It is Microsoft game, it costs money to play online on a MS platform, they won't make it free on the Switch.

25. JammerLammy

JammerLammy
    Banned Member

They get that money back from MTX, all those f2p games are full of them

26. julian

julian

The OP is saying this text is on all similar online games that aren’t f2p though. Curious how this fee breaks out for third parties.

27. ghostcrew

ghostcrew
    Spooky Moderator

To be fair, no game at all so far requires Nintendo Switch Online sub.

28. Jon Carter

Jon Carter

That's good for me because I don't intend on playing online games other than Fortnite and Paladins in the foreseeable future.

And they shouldn't give Sony any ammo regarding the Fortnite kerfuffle.

29. skittzo0413

skittzo0413

Yup, definitely. But I'm just giving an example of how someone (an investor) can spin it as a negative.

30. As it should be!

31. Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter

This could very well change, they may just not have put the fine print in all the games yet. But it doesn’t really make sense to me - I mean sure, at a surface level, you expect a free game to be, free. But, Fortnite has earned literally $1 billion. A billion! The game may be free, but people are spending money on it.

32. Porsche

Porsche

Is Minecraft free on the PS4?

33. Sander VF

Sander VF

Then it would be in Nintendo’s interest to offer superior online features for the subscribers, as that could entice even those who mostly play f2p games.

But I wouldn’t hold my breath.

34. Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Nope since it is not F2P.

35. rochellepaws

rochellepaws

Good to see but a very bad look for Microsoft to be left alone on charging for free to play.

36. Bazry

Bazry

This seems like it may dent Nintendo and MS's whole cross play campaign against Sony if one has to pay for Fortnite and the other doesn't

37. This makes sense, free to play games make money from in game purchases... which require an internet connection. There's no upfront payment unlike other games so this seems like a logical compromise, to me anyway.

38. Ehoavash

Ehoavash

Good. Fuck Microsoft for the bullshit

39. justiceiro

justiceiro

Lets hope it keeps that way.

40. Porsche

Porsche

Lol, I thought this game was free to play this whole time.

41. You have to buy Minecraft on any platform to play it

42. Ebtesam

Ebtesam

Good , need we MS to get rid from charge for F2P games

43. shoryukens

shoryukens

Any word on Warframe?

44. AlexxKidd

AlexxKidd
    Banned Member

As it should be.

45. Pancracio17

Pancracio17

Good.

46. Bjomesphat

Bjomesphat

It's silly that if I'm paying for a game I also have to pay extra to use all of it's features, but millions of gamers are ok with this. So it doesn't really make sense to me that some of you are not ok with requiring a subscription for a F2P game. Obviously gamers have justified it to themselves that companies need to charge for online, so it should be irrelevant if it's a paid game or F2P. It's still the same service.

I just wish console gamers had these same convictions when they overwhelming forked out cash for a service that never needed a subscription model in the first place. Unfortunately we can't go back now.

47. Decarb

Decarb

No more crossplay with paid platforms.

48. Boiled Goose

Boiled Goose
    Banned Member

Unless Nintendo offers some Switch level functionality to aid online play and they use their own servers then they should be free I guess.

49. Vire

Vire

Now we are applauding them? I'm still annoyed about Switch Online. 20$ isn't a big deal, but nonetheless I was able to play Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 for free for over a year and now for no reason at all for the end consumer, we have to fork over cash to play the same exact thing they were previously getting with no added benefit.

50. Forkball

Forkball

They made another Galak Z game? And it’s on the Switch?