• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I used to say that the Super Nintendo was the greatest of Nintendo's consoles, but I think as of right now, the switch has it beat. Nintendo has multiple games of the generation on the console, where is the Super Nintendo had some great games but was match to match with Sega Genesis.

I'm always on my switch, whereas I had only a few games on the Super Nintendo I was really into. Anyone feels that the Nintendo switch is the best console in the Nintendo family?

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I think SNES was better.

I personally preferred the Gamecube software wise, and its hardware was hands down better at the time.

Oct 27, 2017
Not until Famicom Wars Switch releases
Switch has already had its FE and Paper Mario releases. The path has been cleared for IS

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Nah
Snes remains the king. Most of third party stuff on switch are available elsewhere which was not the case for snes

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't even make a top 10 of Nintendo consoles for me. I would feel differently I guess if I didn't own a Wii U and hadn't already played all its first party games on launch. To each their own!

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It hasn't reached legendary status of the SNES or DS for me, it could definitely surpass them in the next few years.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It is probably up there for the mainstream audience or will be by the end of next year - on ERA though...probably not, since many here dismiss everything that isnt a carbon copy of the PS/Xbox.
Nah
Snes remains the king. Most of third party stuff on switch are available elsewhere which was not the case for snes
Most people really dont care if software is available somewhere else - on ERA Hades being available on PC or down the line on other plattforms doesnt make it any worse as a game on Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
No way. It lacks third party support.

The SNES is the best Nintendo console ever. Third parties kneeled before it and the first party support was second to none.

Sep 10, 2020
The DS lite remains their best console. And I don't think switch pro will change that since they are keeping the defective joy cons.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
The GameCube was magnificent and the best imo. It had multiple goat games like F-Zero GX and Metroid Prime, plus I loved the controller.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
It's still far behind DS and SNES for me but it's making progress. The key here is the diversity. The more diverse the library, better the console.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The DS was definitely stronger but could easily be topped once all is said and done. SNES isn't remotely close for my money.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Not in my opinion. SNES is #1, NES #2, maybe Switch at #3. Not counting portables, in that case Switch would drop far far down.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There isn't even one Metroid Prime game on Switch. Gamecube had 2.

I'm in the "SNES and Gamecube were better" camp.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Most people really dont care if software is available somewhere else - on ERA Hades being available on PC or down the line on other plattforms doesnt make it any worse as a game on Switch.
That's where you are wrong. Most third party game perform better elsewhere. Yesterday a user posted about Daemon X Machina recommendation and the replies were: "play it on PC instead".

The advantage of switch is portablity which is huge for me but not everyone

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. SNES was legendary. Switch is nice and all but I feel almost no actual reason to buy games on it except for the occasional Nintendo first party game.

SNES, on the other hand, was my de facto console. Everything was secondary to it.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Software wise it's fairly strong, but not the best for me, yet. It's got ports galore which is great if you haven't played those games yet, but not enough originals. I'm still waiting on some big titles from a couple series and genres from both Nintendo and 3rd parties. I'm still not happy with the number of 3rd party exclusives so far, but it's improving slowly. NMH3, SMTV are going to be awesome additions. But the overall number and diversity of them still feels quite low. I need some Ace Attorney and out their originals like the DS and Wii got with stuff like Infinite Space, Ghost Trick, The Last Story, etc.

Hardware wise it's my favorite Nintendo device. The form factor and versatility is just perfect to me. Best of both worlds. So I definitely want to see them improve upon it and keep things going for years to come rather than change direction in a few years with a new console launch. Just keep iterating and improving upon the Switch model as a platform.

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
Yes, I love the switch. I've had so many great experiences on it —BOTW, Splatoon 2, Ring Fit Adventure, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bro's Ultimate, Animal Crossing, Pikmin 3, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Odyssey. Apart from Odyssey, each of these has been my favorite of its series.

Add onto that Doom 2016 and Dark Souls and this has easily been my favorite console.

on top of all those, the console's design and functionality still impress me. A portable with the ability to dock and play on a tv as well as detachable controllers for built in 2-player functionality on the go. Peak Nintendo!

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't as good as the NES or SNES and im not convinced it's better than the N64, heck that's not even talking portables. If I include portable It's not top 5.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
No, not even close. SNES was better, Gamecube was better.
I'm old enough to have been an avid Nintendo gamer back when Super Famicom was released, 30 years ago. And GameCube in 2001.

And as great as they were, I've sunk more gaming hours into the Switch than I did with those earlier consoles. Even though now, I'm a man with a family that works full time.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Still needs a minimum of Metroid, F-Zero and Mother/Earthbound to seal the deal. Even then Square Enix, Capcom and Konami's contributions to Switch are not what they were on SNES.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
The Switch feels like the Ultimate Nintendo Console. It has pretty much everything and it will only get better. The best? I don't know. In my heart, the Wii and the DS have it. The SNES is still Queen I guess, but damn, such a good console!

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
SNES is still the GOAT (and will likely stay that way forever), but I think that the Switch will pass the GC as Nintendo's best 3D console in the end.