• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Its just about that time again.
Get yourselves ready to sit around till literally the last 5 minutes of every episode of the season until they find a tiny bit of evidence and immediately take a winter break to start all over next year....

I still enjoy it though, season 5 starts on the 7th.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
A piece of wood? 30 feet below the surface? Could it be the remains of a Spanish treasure ship that was rumored to have wrecked to Oak Island in the 1600s?

A mysterious piece of metal? Underneath a rock? Could it be part of the treasure brought to Oak Island by the Knights Templar in the 14th Century?

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I like when they find something amazing and the whole episode builds up to that find, and they mention getting am expert opinion of this amazing find and the episode ends and then...

It's never mentioned on the show ever again.

OP
OP
Razgriz-Specter
Oct 25, 2017
A piece of wood? 30 feet below the surface? Could it be the remains of a Spanish treasure ship that was rumored to have wrecked to Oak Island in the 1600s?

A mysterious piece of metal? Underneath a rock? Could it be part of the treasure brought to Oak Island by the Knights Templar in the 14th Century?
Haha, people used to joke about Mythbusters spending so much time repeating stuff but this show really takes the cake.

I like when they find something amazing and the whole episode builds up to that find, and they mention getting am expert opinion of this amazing find and the episode ends and then...

It's never mentioned on the show ever again.
Yes, it will be something that potentially blows the whole thing open but you are lucky if it gets a remote reference in the season wrap-up voice over.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
My brother talked my ear off about this show at Thanksgiving three years ago about how it was all legit and there was totally going to be treasure on the island.

Then the next year he started talking my ear off about Trump and how he was totally legit and was totally going to find treasure underneath DC.

Can't believe both shows are still on.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
did they ever continue that find about the alleged Viking stone?

how are they not out of money???

OP
OP
Razgriz-Specter
Oct 25, 2017

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Yes, it will be something that potentially blows the whole thing open but you are lucky if it gets a remote reference in the season wrap-up voice over.

The only actual thing of note that theyve found, after spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, is an old Spanish coin from the 1700s that they found in the first season using a plain old metal detector on the beach.

did they ever continue that find about the alleged Viking stone?

how are they not out of money???

I've wondered about that too, as well as how do they plan on profiting off this investment

Even if there's a vast treasure on the island, it's not like they have salvage rights to it like they would at sea. Any significant treasure would be an archaeological find of historical value that would be regulated by provincial and national authorities. The documentation, processing, and handling of the artifacts would probably be handed over to a government sponsored and approved third party, and ultimately end up in a museum.

I can see them getting a small cut of any potential treasure horde (kind of like a finder's fee), but it would takes years of regulatory red tape and bureaucratic hoops to jump through before that happened, and there's no guarantee that what they eventually received would be valuable enough to put on the auction market and recoup their investment.

My guess is their ultimate plan is an agreement with the government that a portion of what they find will go into a museum that they build on the island (which their company also owns), and that they charge admission to see. That's the only way I see them recouping their investment, and even then it would take years, if not a couple of decades, to break even on cost.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I get suckered into this show every season. This time will be no different. I'm stoked, even if I know if anything significant is found it won't be revealed until the season finale.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I get suckered into this show every season. This time will be no different. I'm stoked, even if I know if anything significant is found it won't be revealed until the season finale.

Same here, but I like to watch it on DVR so I can fast forward past the B Plot parts where the bearded brother goes running off into the woods, because some "historical researcher" from the internet said there might be a cave entrance under some tree branches or something.

The A Plot stuff is actually interesting from a problem solving standpoint, and I like seeing some of the equipment and tactics they use to get past the hurdles. They even had the most famous shipwreck diver in the world on the show to dive down that janky steel tube and check out an underwater cavern.

On a different note, I'd really like it if they would spend some time speculating on how they think this whole elaborate thing was constructed.

udwCFzvm.jpg

OP
OP
Razgriz-Specter
Oct 25, 2017
Man I just watched the season preview, weather really messed the island up.

Edit: yo that dude's son died and they used it as a cliff-hanger of the season preview, WTF.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Razgriz-Specter
Oct 25, 2017
Man the premiere had a weird constant popping sound all the way through on separate tvs and not during commercials.
man was it annoying.

OP
OP
Razgriz-Specter
Oct 25, 2017
Promising start but Jesus do they always have issues with dives. Like the 3rd time that chair idea has failed.
Got to be a better way.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
It was nice that they were able to get HD video of one of those limestone caverns, instead of grainy 50 year old film.

Promising start but Jesus do they always have issues with dives. Like the 3rd time that chair idea has failed.
Got to be a better way.

I wonder if there's a way to use a small ROV with a claw arm instead of a diver, who's guaranteed to kick up a ton of muck and immediately take visibility down to zero. Or shove a vacuum hose down the pipe to bring all the muck and everything else from the bottom to the surface.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Years ago I was genuinely intrigued by the mystery of the island. However, a little over a year ago I was able to to see quite a few episodes and the show completely destroyed it for me. It appeared as such a cash grab with its faux cliff hangers that anything that might be going on, on that island I just can't care about anymore.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Years ago I was genuinely intrigued by the mystery of the island. However, a little over a year ago I was able to to see quite a few episodes and the show completely destroyed it for me. It appeared as such a cash grab with its faux cliff hangers that anything that might be going on, on that island I just can't care about anymore.

Narrator: A cash grab? By treasure hunters? Could this be evidence of a long con to enrich a small group of business owners who own the island?

I'm sure the show helps offset some of the costs of equipment & personnel they use for their investigations, but it does use bottom-level gimmicks like teases, fake-outs, and the like, which is why I think the best way to watch it is on DVR to get to the interesting bits. The most compelling thing they've found are some clues that point to a British presence on the island, and possibly a beached/destroyed ship, but it doesn't fit the established narrative, so they never try to run that one down.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Basically a filler episode this week. An iron spike doesn't have sulfur, young men are shown an actual pirate chest, and a lost member of the Beatles finds a piece of a coin.

Deleted member 7430

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So they got this one spot they believe is the vault. They spend entire episode talking about how excited they're going to be when they dig it up. Cliffhanger. The suspense! I love this shit.

OP
OP
Razgriz-Specter
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what is going on with the show this season.
Got the normal episodes, 7 minute previews and now some weird "bonus" episodes that are like 3 hours that came on Saturday mornings and are separate from the main episodes.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Tonight's episode was pretty good and I'm glad they were finally forced to use an archaeologist, though I think they were a little dishonest about why the government was concerned. No one gives a damn about the Money Pit, since the consensus is that it's just filled with detritus from past excavations, but they're running around roughshod on other areas of the island with actual historical interest. They need someone who can recognize cultural markers and prevent them from disturbing/destroying actual historical sites.

OP
OP
Razgriz-Specter
Oct 25, 2017
Man I know this show loves to stretch out literally every second possible but Jesus is this season especially bad about it.

OP
OP
Razgriz-Specter
Oct 25, 2017
Ever wondered what this show would be like without somewhat competent professionals?
Boy does History Channel have a show for you.

This Civil War gold "spinoff" is ridiculously bad lol.

OP
OP
Razgriz-Specter
Oct 25, 2017
Oh good another show to hatewatch. Will have to check out the civil war one
Its even called "The Curse of Civil War Gold" and they haven't mentioned a curse 3 episodes in.
Just a straight name plug.

So far they are just trying to find a little bit of evidence to convince Marty Lagina to invest in their treasure hunt.

Its a fun hate watch so far.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I used to watch Oak Island every week but this season I gave up. Can't even bring myself to give this new show a try.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Well its that time again Season 6 starts on the 13th.

What's interesting to me is that for all the millions spent on securing property, equipment, manpower, and everything else, the only guy who's found anything of any verifiable value is the Lost Beatle with his $3,000 metal detector.

The most frustrating thing about the show is that they'll spend hours on a wild goose chase about some bullshit Knights Templar cross, but they find what appears to be pottery at great depth and never follow up on it and consult the archaeologist about it. They've found a lot of stuff that might shed light on the history of human occupation on the island, but it doesn't ever seem to be investigated or explored.

Also, when new evidence comes in that challenges the dominant narrative, they never change their strategy due to new lines of investigation that open up for them.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I watch the show because I love the history lessons

Hans Gruber

Oct 27, 2017
Norwich, UK
I like it cause one day they'll find a chest full of gold doubloons, the ark of the covenant, Shakespeare's lost manuscripts, evidence of alien life and a portal to hell.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Suprise there hasn't been a Lost Dutchman mine spinoff

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to it. Rumor is they've found something. They've shooting longer than usual, there's actually security now, and new equipment has gone to the island.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait...anyone know how quickly this goes up on Hulu? I fell into the series this past spring during an interim period where I was alone and waiting for my family to move down. The Announcer guy kills me with his questioning inflection all the times.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'm honestly just about done with this show. If they don't find something big this season, I'm out. There are only so many years of hole digging I can stand.

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, this show is so much trash. I like watching it from time to time.

For those that don't know, the narrator is Robert Clotworthy, aka Jim Raynor from StarCraft. He is also the narrator for Ancient Aliens (true trash) and voices the Black Knight assist trophy in Smash Ultimate.

OP
OP
Razgriz-Specter
Oct 25, 2017
Season is off to a good start at least,
Nice that they finally seem to be going all in and not a widespread of halfassed attempts due to time and budget this year.

I'll be amazed if that broach is actually from the 1300's

Boosch

Oct 30, 2017
I love all these shows that are targeted to the dorky dad market. If I could just leave my family every summer to dig up treasure I bet I could find some.

Still love it though

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
The best part of this show are the actual finds and the scientific testing they do on them. I really hate the other half of the show where these crazy "researchers" appear with their bullshit theories....."If we add up the distance between these rocks and divide by the year this King was born, then turn the number upside down and subtract the length of a Turkish horse's ass...then that's exactly where the treasure is!"

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
The best part of this show are the actual finds and the scientific testing they do on them. I really hate the other half of the show where these crazy "researchers" appear with their bullshit theories....."If we add up the distance between these rocks and divide by the year this King was born, then turn the number upside down and subtract the length of a Turkish horse's ass...then that's exactly where the treasure is!"
Yeah, Oak Island for a tiny spot has a lot of history.

OP
OP
Razgriz-Specter
Oct 25, 2017
Yup

OP
OP
Razgriz-Specter
Oct 25, 2017
"Hey we paid you guys like a couple hundred k to millions to dam upthe cove completely water tight..."

"Well you guys can go patch it yourself with shit from Home Depot"