• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
I can't get any suspense from the show just for the fact that if they ever DID find an actual treasure, it would be all over the news well before it aired on tv. So every season I'm just like; well I know you dinguses haven't found anything, but show me what you've got anyway.

Honestly the real treasure of Oak Island is that they are making money off of this tv show so they probably wouldn't ever want it to end unless the actual treasure was very significant. Hell if they ever did find anything they'd probably toss it in a hole just so they could keep filming the show.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see a YT video of "Real archaeologist reacts to Curse of Oak Island".

This show is peak bad reality tv. In the 90s an entire season of this would have been a single 1 hr special. There's going to be 30 episodes this season!

Absolute nothingness stretched to the limit. Ascribing meaning to every button or strangely oriented piece of wood they find in the ground.

The parts with the metal detector guy are the funniest garbage I've ever seen on tv. They send him out into the woods any time there's more than 20 minutes of screen time without them making any sort of "discovery"

Metal detector guy waving his stupid wand around, finds a nail

"This nail could be from a 1600s spanish galleon!"

Narrator cuts in

"A nail? Potentially from a 1600s spanish galleon?"

Narration continues as stock footage of spanish ships is played for 4 straight minutes

Cut to the war room where all the "experts" get together and go over the astonishing find of a nail on the beach

Add in all the recaps after coming back from a commercial break and you probably hear the same piece of information 5 times per episode. Not to mention the inevitable flashbacks to it on subsequent episodes, lest you forget about the nail they found.

I think I've watched a combined 3 hours of this since discovering it a couple months ago and I'm 100% caught up on everything that happened in the 60+ episodes that have already aired.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
seriously someone should make a single season edit out of this show.

i've often wondered what would happen if you show up there, it's less than 2h away from me.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I can't get any suspense from the show just for the fact that if they ever DID find an actual treasure, it would be all over the news well before it aired on tv. So every season I'm just like; well I know you dinguses haven't found anything, but show me what you've got anyway.

Honestly the real treasure of Oak Island is that they are making money off of this tv show so they probably wouldn't ever want it to end unless the actual treasure was very significant. Hell if they ever did find anything they'd probably toss it in a hole just so they could keep filming the show.

The real treasure of Oak Island is the millions they've spent along the way. I'm sure the various local construction and drilling businesses appreciate the windfall, and have made more money off that island than the "Fellowship of the Dig" ever will.

The "Money Pit" is an apt name for that place, but it's still fun to see them try to fit everything into a preconceived narrative.

I would love to see a YT video of "Real archaeologist reacts to Curse of Oak Island".

Same here. They have a real archaeologist on the show, but they don't give him much time since he's a scientist looking at things that have no context and going, "yeah, it's a thing."

A thing? Found on the beach? Could it be related to Captain Kidd, the pirate who some say buried treasure on Oak Island?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking of a horror movie based on he basic premise of this show and Oak Island itself. Basically a several seasons long crappy reality TV show all about excavating a specific site with a notorious history. Everyone has the "been there, done that" look on their faces as they work simply because the money is there from whatever channel is footing their bills until they find something that actually is unique and rare and important. Maybe its some kind of monster, or maybe a haunted object. Shit goes south after that find and you get the idea.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
seriously someone should make a single season edit out of this show.

i've often wondered what would happen if you show up there, it's less than 2h away from me.

Buy a cheap ancient coin from somewhere in Asia on Ebay. Show up there and drop it in a hole when no one is looking

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking of a horror movie based on he basic premise of this show and Oak Island itself. Basically a several seasons long crappy reality TV show all about excavating a specific site with a notorious history. Everyone has the "been there, done that" look on their faces as they work simply because the money is there from whatever channel is footing their bills until they find something that actually is unique and rare and important. Maybe its some kind of monster, or maybe a haunted object. Shit goes south after that find and you get the idea.

I like this, especially with the added bonus of no one believing the actual Discovered Horror, thinking they jumped the shark and faked it for ratings.

Buy a cheap ancient coin from somewhere in Asia on Ebay. Show up there and drop it in a hole when no one is looking
I know, right. Just load a drone with weird-ass old pottery and send 'er in

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018

This show is peak bad reality tv. In the 90s an entire season of this would have been a single 1 hr special. There's going to be 30 episodes this season!

Absolute nothingness stretched to the limit. Ascribing meaning to every button or strangely oriented piece of wood they find in the ground.

The parts with the metal detector guy are the funniest garbage I've ever seen on tv. They send him out into the woods any time there's more than 20 minutes of screen time without them making any sort of "discovery"

Metal detector guy waving his stupid wand around, finds a nail

"This nail could be from a 1600s spanish galleon!"

Narrator cuts in

"A nail? Potentially from a 1600s spanish galleon?"

Narration continues as stock footage of spanish ships is played for 4 straight minutes

Cut to the war room where all the "experts" get together and go over the astonishing find of a nail on the beach

Add in all the recaps after coming back from a commercial break and you probably hear the same piece of information 5 times per episode. Not to mention the inevitable flashbacks to it on subsequent episodes, lest you forget about the nail they found.

I think I've watched a combined 3 hours of this since discovering it a couple months ago and I'm 100% caught up on everything that happened in the 60+ episodes that have already aired.

I watch it on one of the TVs at the gym and this is perfect.

Don't forget the ominous reminders of the curse and how one more person HAS TO D-D-DIE before the treasure can be discovered.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

A haunted object, you say???

VCY3DQw.jpg

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
SOME GUY: Yeah, that's clay.

NARRATOR: Clay? 5000 years ago in ancient Mesopotamia, the Sumerians used clay to make everything from great mud-brick temples, known as ziggurats, to tablets, containing the first known evidence of writing. This ancient script, known as cuneiform,

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Oak island has been THOROUGHLY debunked as nothing more than a hoax/publicity stunt from long before this show. How in the hell they've drawn it out this far as they have with the information as readily available as it is alone is insane. Take that a step further and watch how the show is structured and it's incredibly clear they're just making shitup. Take it one step further and given how this would work (it being filmed ahead of time), how would the news possibly not pick this up long before anything aired had there been a significant discovery. Yet people STILL watch this show expecting something to happen. It really is incredible.

Also people keep talking about them running out of money.. are you kidding? They must be making a fortune off of this show. The tourism must be great for the area as well. They'll drag this sucker out until the entire island is dug up and gone if they have to.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
For those playing the home game, the story so far this season: They still haven't found shit, aside from a few trinkets discovered by metal detection expert, Gary Drayton. For all the millions the brothers spent by the brothers digging holes, building coffer dams, and ordering special-engineered & manufactured equipment, a guy with a $5,000 metal detector is the only one who finds anything interesting.

Could it be that the real treasure of Oak Island is the millions in receivables collected by Irving Equipment Ltd, as well as drilling and construction companies in Nova Scotia?

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
On this week's Oak Island...
  • Metal detection expert, Gary Drayton finds a "inge" in the spoils from Smith's Cove, along with a couple of big nails
  • Archaeologist Laird Niven says more than a few words, while trying to maintain as much of his professional integrity as he can
  • People diving in the waters off Oak Island discover that there are rocks on the bottom. The show attempts to portray the rocks as being in the form of a triangle pointing at the Money Pit, without realizing a triangle has three points.
  • Can slamming is over at borehole H8. The next move is to dig in another useless spot and milk that for a couple more seasons
  • If they want to maintain the massive coffer dam they've built, they need to get more permits from the government. Brothers Rick and Marty Lagina believe that if they were back in Michigan, instead of Canada and its pesky environmental regulations, they could've dug an open pit mine by now and had their faces melted off by the Ark of the Covenant whilst reading Shakespeare's lost manuscripts by the light of Templar treasure
  • Marty asks the group if they want to spend more of his money and they unanimously agree

OP
OP
Razgriz-Specter
Oct 25, 2017
This shit cracks me up, they get so desperate for people to watch the Curse of Civil War Gold they make the Season Final of Oak Island say 2 hours so that people automatically see it

There's literally no "curse" ever mentioned the just want that Oak Island recognition instead of a generic treasure show.

OP
OP
Razgriz-Specter
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus this spinoff.
They are so incompetent and make the Oak island crew look like treasure hunting gods and genius by comparison.

S1 ended when the dumbass leader jumped into water in scuba gear incorrectly and seriously injured himself.
S2 starts with them about to do a dive and the dumbass' brother overheats himself before they even get in the water...

Its been over a year since they supposedly found the sunken traincar full of gold that they GPS'd and everything...
and they didn't get freaking permits to even touch it in that time.

This show is an amazing hate watch.