• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I'd prefer if they didn't come back.

Firstly, they create an environment of the haves and have-nots, which is what this site is rightly trying to get away from with hiding junior statuses.

Secondly, it can drive certain posters to behave in ways they otherwise wouldn't, trying to become infamous and 'tag fishing'.

Ultimately, I don't think it enhances the community any. The reputable great posters will become known through their actions, not by a tag.
I never got a tag either.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't really mind tags. If anything it gives people an incentive to continue posting, whether that ends up with good posts or constant shitposting isn't something I know, but more activity is better than less IMO. I would do anything for an "All Might" related tag tho.

Best character of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Oct 27, 2017

Firstly, they create an environment of the haves and have-nots, which is what this site is rightly trying to get away from with hiring junior statuses.

Secondly, it can drive certain posters to behave in ways they otherwise wouldn't, trying to become infamous and 'tag fishing'.

Ultimately, I don't think it enhances the community any. The reputable great posters will become known through their actions, not by a tag.

I was going to say more or less the same.

Don't bring the tag system here, it was stupid. Leave it on the other side.

Tag quoting as a counter argument, unnecessary tag fishing and popularity contests... I really don't see the pros.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Firstly, they create an environment of the haves and have-nots, which is what this site is rightly trying to get away from with hiding junior statuses.

This post sums it up really nicely. There can be a hall of fame thread that only admins can post in to highlight when a user did something remarkable.

Hentai

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's not possible to stop giving tags now though especially when there's a number of them already given.

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Agree completely.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
A tag is just a string of words on the Internet. You can literally get words anywhere, I usually get my words from Google.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sums up my views on the matter.

Idc about a tag other than becoming a mod or admin

I've worked for this brehs
Your tag should be jmon.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish we could just choose our own tags. I don't see any benefit that comes from tags being exclusive. I agree that the have and have-not system at GAF was a little discouraging. I spent so much time there but never got a tag, sigh.

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see any advantages for having custom tags. More often than not, I felt it had a way more distracting and detrimental effect upon the discussion board at large.

Getting rid of the junior tag has a huge first step, a move which I feel should also carry over to custom tags as well. Only staff/mods, industry folks and representatives, and folk that have made extraordinary contributions (people like Mama Robotnik, and Durante before he officially contributed to gaming press etc.) should be given tags.

kristoffer

Banned
Oct 23, 2017
498.gif

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US

Pretty much how I feel. No reason to start making one poster more special than another.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017

Agree with all of this. Gaf tags were elitist. User-settable please, or nothing.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Alternate proposal: You get to make a tag, but it's for a random member of the site. You never know who made your tag unless they specifically contact you.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I actually like the tags. Not getting them for stupid shit you do, but for a badge of seniority and distinction. Wouldn't mind them making a comeback.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had a great tag back in the day. Was something like

"Smarter Than You
Thinks He Fights Better Than You
More Arrogant Than You"

With links to smart, dumb and arrogant things I'd said. At least I'm versatile :)

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
The less clutter on the boards, and the less cliquey behavior, the better. Keep the tags to an absolute minimum... Just "Member" is fine.

Oct 25, 2017
My old tag was nonspecific so I never had much problem with quoting. Worse thing I guess was that my Avi and tag combo had an angry, stern feel to it. I hope it never scared people off from responding.

Anyway, I don't mind if they return to the general poster population.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Bish gave me my old one. I don't think they should carry over. Either start over and earn one, or donate a small amount to patreon per month to get one, and support site costs.

fleeting

Oct 27, 2017

Absolutely, agreed.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Let this place have its own flavor. Why copy everything from the other place?

MarkMcLovin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never got the whole tag thing. Couldn't care less for it now. I prefer a system where the more posts you've made, a tag or colour goes
with it. Like in SFV.

brandrick

Oct 29, 2017
UK

^ This. They can be fun sure, but are a distraction at best.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
Will these ever be a thing over here?

At the old place I got mine for doing a random photoshop for one of the mods many years ago. I told him to surprise me and I was given "not a medical professional" as my tag, and it was so clever and went with my username quite well.

I must admit, I do kind of miss it. And if there's some plan or procedure to don migrated members with tags again, I'd love to extend the same freedom to the mod team: surprise me.

I would advise you to edit your post and it will give you the ability to create a Poll.

Create one to gauge if people want it back or not :)

I for one think if used cleverly can be a good thing, but it was often used by mods on the other place to shame users which I think was not ok.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments

Sums it up pretty well.

Stitches

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland
I never really saw a problem with them. I always just saw them as a friendly little joke on someone's profile. The begging could be annoying, but for when someone makes a genuinely funny or ridiculous post, then it's fun.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A custom tag and a user number below 10,000 is how I intend to make my fame and fortune.