• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I'd prefer if they didn't come back.

Firstly, they create an environment of the haves and have-nots, which is what this site is rightly trying to get away from with hiding junior statuses.

Secondly, it can drive certain posters to behave in ways they otherwise wouldn't, trying to become infamous and 'tag fishing'.

Ultimately, I don't think it enhances the community any. The reputable great posters will become known through their actions, not by a tag.

This. It's probably best to ditch them for this site, IMO. I don't think they added any real benefit.

Courier 7

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It encouraged shit-posting, or more of it, for tag-fishing.

Then again, I could just be saying that because I never had one.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
I never minded them, personally. Always found it quite intriguing to find out how it was obtained.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
We can rebuild him.

mQRbS6o.png

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer if they didn't come back.

Firstly, they create an environment of the haves and have-nots, which is what this site is rightly trying to get away from with hiding junior statuses.

Secondly, it can drive certain posters to behave in ways they otherwise wouldn't, trying to become infamous and 'tag fishing'.

Ultimately, I don't think it enhances the community any. The reputable great posters will become known through their actions, not by a tag.

Yep, agreed on all counts. Tags runs counter to the philosophy this site is trying to employ.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't want another tag that I don't understand. My old one was "Smells Like Fresh Rosebuds" and I still don't know what that means >:(

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I want tags to come back, but no negative tags.

I don't think this can be stressed enough. Negative tags were a badge of shame that perpetually embarrassed users and derailed conversations because people could attribute any post or behavior to that same mocking byline. I want this place to be better than that. So no tags making fun of users. It's not nice, it's not fair, and it's not in the spirit of the board.

I like funny, charming, and positive tags that users might get for making outstanding posts or contributions to the board. But nothing else.

I say this as somebody who had a positive tag on the old forum and asked for it to be removed.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was always envious of the tags people received that were multi colored text or otherwise unique instead of just some branded text. New board, new tags, it's part of the culture of the board. They should be rare, but not too rare.

I just don't want another tag that I don't understand. My old one was "Smells Like Fresh Rosebuds" and I still don't know what that means >:(

Ever watch Citizen Kane? that's the first thing that came to my mind...

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I don't see the positive benefit to custom tags. I think it creates an environment where people act in unusual ways to try to obtain one. I think ResetEra should stick with the mentality that resulted in all members (even juniors) being only titled members. No separate class of members being created.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really surprised. Spent like 7 years on GAF, had like 4 bans, controversial poster who liked to eat his foot sometimes, Bernie supporter, and painful-to-watch No Man's Sky fan.

Never got a tag lol

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think this can be stressed enough. Negative tags were a badge of shame that perpetually embarrassed users and derailed conversations because people could attribute any post or behavior to that same mocking byline. I want this place to be better than that. So no tags making fun of users. It's not nice, it's not fair, and it's not in the spirit of the board.

I like funny, charming, and positive tags that users might get for making outstanding posts or contributions to the board. But nothing else.

I say this as somebody who had a positive tag on the old forum and asked for it to be removed.
I agree. Plus if a poster is really that shitty, they probably should just be banned instead tbh

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the tags, some of them were genuinely funny. But this being a reset and all, they shouldn't migrate any tags over.

Oct 27, 2017
custom tags should reserved for banned users

like if they got banned in a massive troll thread, their tag could be like "extra spicy" or something lol

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tags should be Mod, Admin, Banned. "Member" is kinda superfluous these days, don't ya think? Since Junior Members aren't identified by tag any more. Just pull Member off entirely, clean that left side up a bit.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I gotta say - that's not the best of tags, ElectricBlanketFir. But att least you didn't get an F.

screenshot2017-10-30apnsq8.png

Last edited:

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't we just enable the relatively normal forum system of everyone being able to set their own tag like an avatar or signature?

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want custom tags to be a thing here. They were occasionally funny in the old place, but they often detracted from the discussion. There's no need for them to exist.

Why don't we just enable the relatively normal forum system of everyone being able to set their own tag like an avatar or signature?
Because that can be really annoying. Signatures add too much noise to the posts.

I was always envious of the tags people received that were multi colored text or otherwise unique instead of just some branded text. New board, new tags, it's part of the culture of the board. They should be rare, but not too rare.
If custom tags end up being a thing (I hope not), then I want them to be rarer than shiny Pokemon. It took me more than 100 hours to get a shiny Ho-Oh in Omega Ruby; a tag should take years, if not decades.

Last edited:

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I like the signatures that are quotes about the poster by their lame ass friends or quotes by the poster that are so god awful. It's great.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
They are a fun addon. Sure, why not. It felt pretty nice when you finally got one. Also many of the funny/negative ones had an interesting story behind it.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I would have them gone.

If they have to exist, let it be just the negative ones, a tag would be a mark of shame.

Ray Wonder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I would have them gone.

If they have to exist, let it be just the negative ones, a tag would be a mark of shame.

I think if anything it should be the opposite. I'm the type that likes to judge a post on it's merits alone. A tag that influences the opinions of the reader before they even read a post sounds like a recipe for biased discussion.

Although, I'm not bothered by it either way.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Tags are either way but it's quite obvious there's a large contingent of people who desperately want to be go, "HEY LOOK AT ME I GOT A TAG!" Like, I wouldn't be surprised if the average person who got a tag text messaged their BFF and went, "I got a tag and this is why, omg so funny!"

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. The tag Microsoft has here is funny as hell and I'd love to see more of that, but the old place was largely made up of tags that were pretty mean spirited. I think no tags is a bit No Fun Allowed, but tags need to be something that elevates the mood of the forum instead of promoting toxicity.