• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I wouldnt throw stones at glass houses there. Imagine people not taking 5 hours of their life to watch someone shitting on something they like
Yeah, to be honest I think the video has some decent points from the little I've seen of it but if this was a 5 hour long video on a game I enjoyed way more than P5 I couldn't really justify watching it.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
It's incredible the nosedive the game takes after the first 2 dungeons, in basically every regard.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldnt throw stones in glass houses there. Imagine people not taking 5 hours of their life to watch someone shitting on something they like
Complain that they're wrong without watching is shallow reasoning and overall indefensible. You don't want to watch it, that's fine. Reacting to something you haven't watched is wack

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Honestly I'd argue Persona 5 has too much substance and the style can't carry it. Of course it's all opinions. Many here in this thread love it and don't think the game is enough. Where as I was tired of the game 40 hours in. The episodic nature definitely kills it for me. The actual stories just aren't as interesting as the first one and there's not enough real plot going on to encourage me to keep playing it. I managed to beat it and really have very little interest in replaying it.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Persona 5 fans would rather play 20 hours more Persona 5 than watch a 5 hour video smh
Who wouldn't want to play more of a game they love rather than sit and watch someone dissect that game for 5 hours of their life? What could I possibly get out of that that would enrich my life? That's like 6 or 7 episodes of The Next Generation that I could be catching up on instead.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Complain that they're wrong without watching is shallow reasoning and overall indefensible. You don't want to watch it, that's fine. Reacting to something you haven't watched is wack
You can disagree with a thesis while not wanting to devote 5 hours of your day to have something you like be torn apart (ultimately subjectively from what I have seen). At least people arent pretending they took the time to watch it

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's (IMO) a masterpiece well worth watching! I watch it every couple of years and it's one of my favourite movies despite only seeing it for the first time in like 2008.
oh I appreciate the craft behind it, the cinematography is just fantastic. Its just the characters themselves arent as engaging as i would like to. I stopped at the middle

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
IMO Persona needs a massive overhaul from the ground up. The 3 last games had some pretty bad bloating and pacing issues.
Yeah, but given the reaction to each of these games together with the constant milking and increased bloat (e.g. Persona 4 Golden and the upcoming Persona 5 Royal), I wouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon.

Sep 28, 2018
I disagree with the premise. There is style and substance in equal measure and I really enjoyed the game. Don't think I'll be dedicating 5 hours of my time to this.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm not gonna watch it but I agree with the premise. The presentation is amazing, and surface-level it's a very well made game. The gameplay is actually pretty decent too, but it drags on with how long the game itself is.

The writing, story and characters though leave a lot to desire. It starts off strong but after the first act or so, it's pretty bad. Everything's so clear cut, there's no real ambiguity in who's right and who's wrong, the story never really does anything with its premise. I'm playing FE3H recently and it's surprising because I feel like even the non plot important students in that game are more fleshed out than most of the P5 cast.

it gave us Hifumi tho so maybe it aint that bad

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I mean if people enjoy doing stuff so much why are people commenting in a thread that is explicitly negative about P5 going by the thread title?

It's incredible the nosedive the game takes after the first 2 dungeons, in basically every regard.
Kamoshida was such a strong villain. Like really really good. Then we go into a plagiarist while not as strong as abusive sports coach, it starts to get a bit comical but still fairly real. Then we get generic gangster trash. A CEO? Why was the CEO lame. Because we had to stop and have pointless Morgana feels worthless drama to detract from that.
I wish P5 kept up its strong start. The ending was predictable but the actual climax was kinda hype no matter how much you could see it coming.

Like P5 attempts to be hard hitting with actual real problems. Then it remembers it needs to be an anime game. Royal looks like it is slapping more of the anime into the anime game.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like should be able to discuss all of persona 5's many failings and lack of any actual substance or insightful commentary on society in well under five hours.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Anyone that spends 5 hours watching a very opinionated video should realize they are just circlejerking.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I mean if people enjoy doing stuff so much why are people commenting in a thread that is explicitly negative about P5 going by the thread title?
Because even if you're a fan of something you can still be open to reading or watching criticism of it.

More often than not though that criticism is something I can read or watch in a matter of minutes, not something that will take me an entire afternoon.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Like P5 attempts to be hard hitting with actual real problems. Then it remembers it needs to be an anime game.

Basically. It's a game that's unwilling to cash the check it wrote. It tries for some very ambitious social critique of society and even manages to do it decently at first with Kamoshida, but then it undermines that for the sake of male otaku wish fulfillment and anime hijinks because that's what's expected from it.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Everything's so clear cut, there's no real ambiguity in who's right and who's wrong
Just gonna say this is obviously purposeful. Persona 5 is a game about being able to do something about horrible people who are generally untouchable in real life because of societal reasons. It's not intended to be a grey story about 'But maybe these awful people aren't actually that awful.' A story isn't necessarily bad for taking a clear side on an issue and is arguably stronger for it.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have a number of problems with the game, but not enough to watch a 5 hour video about them. Really like the game overall.

Anyway, I think the biggest problem is the game's pacing conflicts heavily with the story. The game tells the story within Palaces as if you are in there multiple times over the course of the three-ish weeks you are given, but to get the most out of your time, you'll want to 2-day all of the palaces, which leaves you waiting a good 3ish hours to continue the story, and sometimes even Mementos gameplay (there isn't enough Mementos requests imo)!

The constant "did we actually do it? i guess we have to wait and see." texts get annoying, and there's no real story justification for the gap. You're telling me Futaba was actually asleep for 3 weeks? What bs. It also doesn't make sense when Shadow Okumura is killed, but it takes three weeks for the real Okumura to die. And now I'm worried I'll lose out on time for trying to two-day Sae's palace bc I saw the initial cutscene!

Anyway, I'd personally cut down the length of palaces by about a third to keep them from wearing on too long, add 2-3 new ones (probably between the 2nd and 3rd/4th and 5th ones), and shorten the time for each palace to ~10 days. I'd also make it so the treasure has to be stolen on the last day; maybe the calling card only works when tensions are at their highest idk they could come up with a half-good reasoning. It'd keep the story flowing smoothly and keep palaces from becoming too much of a slog, I'd think.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Just gonna say this is obviously purposeful. Persona 5 is a game about being able to do something about horrible people who are generally untouchable in real life because of societal reasons. It's not intended to be a grey story about 'But maybe these awful people aren't actually that awful.' A story isn't necessarily bad for taking a clear side on an issue and is arguably stronger for it.
I agree with you that a lack of ambiguity isn't necessarily a problem in and of itself. That being said, I feel like Persona 5 compromises its message in multiple ways, and I feel like exploring the ramifications and potential downsides of what the Phantom Thieves were doing would have made for a much stronger overall story.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
Like P5 attempts to be hard hitting with actual real problems. Then it remembers it needs to be an anime game. Royal looks like it is slapping more of the anime into the anime game.
I was talking about mementos, the boring ass main villain and how little the game evolves the gameplay, when now was the perfect chance for it.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i do think you could make like a decently long video about persona 5's weird treatment of sexual assault that permeates the game

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll check out a bit of this video, but the thing is, I find it extremely hard to believe that a video essay like this would warrant 5 hours. I just watched one of the best video essays for a game I've seen, and that was 31 minutes long.
It's 31 minutes long for what is essentially a 4 hour game (if that).

This is 5 hours long for what is essentially a 100 hour game.

It'd be like if someone did a scene for scene breakdown for all of Game of Thrones, but then when the video was multiple hours long, people ridiculed and said it was too long.

The video would be easier to swallow if the video was broken down unto a multi-part series, but other than that, I think the time is warranted, if you take a look at what all is covered via the time stamps.

You can disagree with a thesis while not wanting to devote 5 hours of your day to have something you like be torn apart (ultimately subjectively from what I have seen). At least people arent pretending they took the time to watch it
I agree with this. If people don't want to watch the video due to it's main premise and length, then that is perfectly reasonable. Life's too short to fill it with stuff you don't want to hear.

I think most of the ridicule being thrown is at people who are calling it a bad video or overly bloated for no reason, when the video starts off with a good explanation as to why it's long and as much as I've watched so far, actually has good points to make.

Like if the video isn't to your taste, you disagree with the premise, or don't have enough time to watch, then just state that. Don't just blindly shit on the video due to its length or because you don't agree with the premise. You can say you don't like or are interested in something without saying it sucks. Note, my response isn't targeted towards you per say, just to this thread as a whole.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England

Hmm, maybe I could phrase it better, but on the whole I disagree. The game does try to tackle societal problems, like sexual abuse, suicide, familial ties, social media, etc, but it just ends up being very simple. I understand what you mean, there is a definite focus on being a force for good, but my issue is that you can't create an engaging story/world like that.

The game never asks for any thinking beyond the surface level of 'good vs. bad', and thus you get a game which drags. It would have been okay for the game to be a cheesy anime inspired good-feel game, but at the same time, for that to work you can't introduce complex issues and not expect the player to want to solve them, or at least tackle them in a meaningful way. For example the game's very first act introduces sexual exploitation of a minor, and actually handles it pretty decently, but the rest of the game acts like that never happened, and sexualises said character itself, even in the ending CG. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not going to watch something I'll disagree with because I love the game. The only major complaint since Persona 4 is the character development is on the optional side than being the game's narrative like in Persona 3. It's something I want to see comeback in Persona 6.

Mine went to 100h too and I hated how long it was. There's no rule saying 100h = bad, but if it's that long the content needs to be good to justify it. And most japanese RPGs don't take that long to beat, so it's not "normal" and people aren't just nitpicking Persona, they're just long games.

Then why not just skip the optional stuff? Nobody is asking you to do everything.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
also an alternative to FIVE HOUR VIDEO is, like, multiple twenty minute videos that focus on specific criticisms.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
What part of the video covers how awful Mementos is, and how it's somehow a step down from P3's Tartarus.

Status
Not open for further replies.