• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Credits to /u/Joseki100 on sourcing the open letter, and using DeepL for English translations.

note.com

第335号『任天堂への手紙』|松山 洋 サイバーコネクトツー

先日、ある部下が私にこんなことを言ってきました。 「任天堂さんって、凄いです、もう感謝の気持ちしかありません」 実に端的な言葉ですが赤面しながら言ってきたので内容が気になって「うん、どうしたの?詳しく聞かせて」と伝えて話を聞きました。 その部下は女性社員で現在は各プラットフォームメーカーの窓口業務をやっていて、日々のゲームソフトの売上の確認や報告をしています。 感覚的というか一般的な会社のポジションに当てはめて説明すると『営業』と言ってしまった方がわかりやすいかもしれません。 弊社の営業担当として任天堂やマイクロソフトなどの各プラットフォームメーカーの業務部と呼ばれる担当者と

Full English Translation said:
"The other day, one of my subordinates said to me, "Nintendo is amazing, I can't thank you enough.

It was a very simple statement, but he blushed as he said it, so I was curious about what he said. I said, "Yes.

The subordinate is a female employee who is currently working as a contact person for each platform manufacturer, checking and reporting on daily sales of game software.

If I were to explain it sensitively or by applying it to a typical company position, it might be easier to say 'sales'.

As a sales representative of our company, I communicate with the business department of each platform manufacturer such as Nintendo and Microsoft.

The game business today is much more complicated than it used to be.

Until about 10 years ago, selling game software was a simple process of manufacturing, distribution, and sales, rather like selling toys.

Nowadays, however, downloadable software is sold separately, and special versions of download-only game software called "deluxe editions" are often released in addition to the "regular edition".

And these are prepared and sold for each platform.

[IMAGE IN THE LETTER]

As you can clearly see from this image, there are three different types of products that will be sold for the single game "Senjo no Fuga", and they will be sold on six different platforms, making a total of 18 different product lines.

In order to properly sell each of these products on each platform, we have to apply for and receive approval from each platform manufacturer before finally releasing the product.

This is not the end of the process, even if all the products are displayed on each platform's store page and start selling.

You will need to cross-check each platform's sales performance report and invoice processing.

This is because when you compare the invoices with the performance reports of the game software sold in a month, there are sometimes errors.

Some people may think this is ridiculous, but it's true.

Game software is sold not only in Japan but also in hundreds of countries around the world at the same time.

And even if the performance report says "Performance at the end of the month," strictly speaking, the numbers are slightly different because the closing time differs depending on the time difference between each country. In addition, the closing time of the performance report and the invoice are also different, and each platform manufacturer has different rules.

It is the job of the female employee I mentioned at the beginning of this article to check, compare and inquire about these errors.

This is a bit of a long preamble, but the bottom line is that the current game business is extremely difficult, complicated, and troublesome because there are many different versions of games to sell, and each platform manufacturer has different procedures and rules. That's what I mean.

To be honest, when I first learned about this reality, I thought, "Other game makers are doing the same thing? Why is no one complaining about something so troublesome? But when I asked other game makers about it, they told me that they felt the same way and were making the same requests for improvements to their systems, so I had no choice but to accept it.

And each time I had a question, I had to ask them directly, "Where can I find out about ____? I had no choice but to ask directly. However, the replies and responses to these questions varied greatly from one platform manufacturer to the next.

"There is no contact point in Japan, so please contact North America directly.

"Please send another email to another department.

"Please send the email in English as Japanese is not supported.

"It's in the manual, please check it again.

"I sent an inquiry to North America, but haven't heard back in two weeks? Please wait until the end of the week as the person in charge is currently on vacation.

I really wanted to feel sorry for our female contact person, but the responses from the various platform manufacturers were so disjointed and the rules were so difficult to understand that I was worried that she herself would suffer a mental breakdown.

***** Companies that don't say, "It's written here.

As I listened to her, worried about the woman in charge, I learned that there was one company that handled things differently than the others.

It was Nintendo.

She told me that the person in charge at Nintendo responded to every inquiry carefully and gave detailed explanations.

One time, after receiving a detailed response to her inquiry, another staff member pointed out to her, "You know, you can see all the details of your inquiry here," and the female staff member's face turned red.

Of course, it was her own carelessness at that time. "She must have felt embarrassed that she had taken the trouble to send an email asking for information that she could understand by looking at it, and at the same time, she must have felt sorry and grateful to the Nintendo representative for answering her question so politely.

She looked up and told me, "If you are the president of Nintendo, please contact them.

"She looked up at me and said, "You may not have the opportunity to meet with your contact at Nintendo ......, but if you do have the chance to meet with someone higher up at Nintendo or your boss in the operations department, please convey my apologies and gratitude.

"Nintendo is awesome! They don't say, "It's written here. They don't say, 'Here it is.

Of course, as soon as I heard this story, I told our vice president (in charge of sales) and thanked Nintendo's business department.

I think we all have moments when we "don't know what we don't know. At the same time, in a state of panic, we may overlook information that is easy to find.

Of course, in such cases, we would like to offer a helping hand, but I would like to express my gratitude to Nintendo for its deep pockets and warm-hearted behavior and attitude, even in areas that are not visible to the public.

Thank you, Nintendo.

Please keep up the good work.

Close if old.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just saying, this trait of supporting 3rd party developers well was the reason Playstation became so big in the first place. Maybe they should take another crack at that even if they don't actually need to for console sales.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This is a big hole for Microsoft. Local and regional support. They can have the best hardware in the whole world, but it's for naught if developers and publishers don't feel supported.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I feel like I work up in another timeline I know CC2 has some ports of their anime games on switch, when did they becomes so chummy with Nintendo?

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
This is a big hole for Microsoft. Local and regional support. They can have the best hardware in the whole world, but it's for not if developers and publishers don't feel supported.
It's also the case for Sony know. Your contact is PlayStation WW HQ which is now in the US so a lot of communication has to be in English.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's also the case for Sony know. Your contact is PlayStation WW HQ which is now in the US so a lot of communication has to be in English.

Yeah the stories that have come out about sony in the last 6 months have been pretty damning. A real sense of crumbling leadership in every department except for internal game development and distribution.

Simone

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
It's a shame the Demon Slayer game releases on every platform except Switch, I'm sure it would have been the most succesful version :(

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
Do Sony and Microsoft also conmunicate in languages different than English? I guess the reason Nintendo accepts japanese requests is mainly because they are a japanese company that operates from Japan (Playstation is operated from California, if I remember correctly).

Is there any non english developer that knows it?

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I mean that was damn near 25 years ago.

Who would have thought that things can change in 25 years.

Only ResetEra can go back DECADES to put a negative spin on something...geez

Of course. Gaming market is different, and companies react differently from how it was in the past. But it's still surprising anyway.
Maybe it's just a stigma on my mind that I need to bypass.
Let's move on.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The complaints sound awfully familiar to what sony had been accused of a year or 2 ago on how theu act with relations ever since I hey moved the main office to U.S

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo seems to be great to work with, Fuga likely sold best on Switch, Kakarot doing numbers on Switch despite being late yet KNY isn't coming to Switch.

Japanese gaming industry is really fascinating sometimes.

Paradax

Jun 1, 2018
I feel like I work up in another timeline I know CC2 has some ports of their anime games on switch, when did they becomes so chummy with Nintendo?

The games they sell for Switch sell very well. If they don't ship more games for the system, it's because their frequent partner Namco Bandai has no interest in it.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"There is no contact point in Japan, so please contact North America directly."

"Please send another email to another department."

"Please send the email in English as Japanese is not supported."

"It's in the manual, please check it again."

"I sent an inquiry to North America, but haven't heard back in two weeks? Please wait until the end of the week as the person in charge is currently on vacation."

Shit, that employee went through the ringer. The sheer joy they must have felt to connect with somebody who can just- communicate simply, effectively, and answer questions- distill that feeling and sell it as pure happiness

(Saturday goes back to writing a memo that starts with "as previously mentioned in my last e-mail...")

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
This is a big hole for Microsoft. Local and regional support. They can have the best hardware in the whole world, but it's for naught if developers and publishers don't feel supported.
I'm pretty sure Xbox has regional support for Japan, China and South Korea, they set-up a new group a couple of years a go if I'm remembering right.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
This company sounds so familiar. What games have they made that are popular?

Edit: Ah Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really want to be in that meeting room when someone decided which platforms the demon slayer game was gonna be on

Oct 25, 2017
Really want to be in that meeting room when someone decided which platforms the demon slayer game was gonna be on
Ard so we got this new shonen
Yea
It's blowing up
How big sir?
Massive, top selling movie of all time in japan, 150mil manga sales, ppl are pushing articles that it had a part in helping the economy during covid.

let's make a game
What platforms?
Obviously switch right sir?
Heh..no
But it's selling massively in japan and demon slayer is a massive japan ip....
I said no

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I feel bad for reading this so cynically. Like I think everything written here is based in fact, but I can't help but read this as an oblique way to say that Fuga bombed on anything not called the Switch, or that this manager is trying to impress his junior employee.

Note: I own Fuga, it's great, everyone get it.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
Seems Sony is the odd one out being English only for support.

Disappointing really, but it's expected since they're pretty much US based now.

Just stupid that they're forcing non English speaking publishers to communicate in English as well.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is cool to see but man will it not be frustrating that Nintendo will support 3rd party's but yet Demon Slayer isn't on Switch and may not be for a long time and it's just late port after late port.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Is that a aniplex thing? Like I'm legit confused on why it skipped switch

Likely due to the publisher wanting to focus on other systems first, either due to time/different development needs between switch/other systems. The CEO of CC2 noted in a QA vid a while ago that he would really like .Hack GU on Switch but Bamco said no when they pitched it, so that latest ESRB rating hopefully means that they finally won them over on that front. Keep in mind CC2 hasn't really fully self published a game before until Fuga, which they put on literally everything, and I feel they'd do that for their older games/everything they do if they could, but they aren't able to port Tail Concerto or Solatorobo due to Bandai being the only one that can give the final OK on that, which is frustrating in the former's case as it's perfect for a simple multiplat HD port akin to Drill Land, yet nobody at BNEI wants to touch it

RedSpring

Aug 23, 2020
Please send the email in English as Japanese is not supported.

Would be pretty ironic if this is Sony since I remember reading a long time ago a developer experience with each of the major platform's SDK. PS2 SDK had all its document either all in Japanese or in badly translate English and require a lot of work to set up. GameCube, which is referred to by its code name Dolphin, he got it up and running with no hassle and is easy to develop for. Don't remember what was said for the Xbox but I think he has problem installing all the NVIDIA tools. Wish I can find the original article though. Good to see Nintendo realized their error early on and resolved the issue even to this day.