• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
Steam and GOG have been known to lock out Australian users from buying RC rated games, though some don't region-lock immediately, Valkyrie Drive was available for a good while before the publisher was forced to region-lock it away from Aussie purchase.
Expanding on that: Those games should still be giftable though, right? So Aussies always have the option to just poke a friend (or someone else) to buy the game for them. Alternatively, using a VPN service (proper or via browser addon) for the purchase does work on GOG for sure, as I've tested it myself previously.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want them to tone down a single damn thing.

Australians are just going to have to smuggle in this contraband.

Which is a pretty punk thing to do when you think about it.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wait what? please tell me this is true.
maxresdefault.jpg
UFth9Xc.jpg

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
awesome. i just hope CDPR don't dumb it down for the rest of the world. they should just release a seperate version for AU. i swear if we end up with a gimped game because of 1 stupid country then i'll be pissed.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
awesome. i just hope CDPR don't dumb it down for the rest of the world. they should just release a seperate version for AU. i swear if we end up with a gimped game because of 1 stupid country then i'll be pissed.
All they have to do is blur certain things ala japanese av. Given the theme of the game. It should be easy to do. Instead of removing sections.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Don't tone down a thing to get this passed through Australia's rating board.

Witcher 3 got special version just for Middle-East so they could release in the region. Covered up some nudity etc.

I expect CP77 getting similar treatment. If region needs stuff changed, hidden etc. for game to be allowed into stores in region I bet CDPR makes such custom versions again.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Certainly in favour of games (and entertainment media in general) being more comfortable with the human body and unashamed of showing full-frontal nudity. I just hope Cyberpunk will have a nice balance between male and female nudity. Would feel incredibly awkward if we kept seeing naked women everywhere but no or almost no naked men.
There was a mix of both in the demo, I will say.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was a mix of both in the demo, I will say.
Awesome, thanks :)!
I don't think Australia is the market you have to worry about there. That would be the US. I remember at least one instance of full-frontal nudity in all versions of a game being censored to appease the US market - Heavy Rain (and I think I vaguely remember Crytek hinting at sth similar having happened with Ryse but I'm not 100% sure). But I'm not too worried about that happening here. Doesn't seem like the sort of thing CD Projekt would do.

Last edited:

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
i could see them not even bothering with getting it rated and just putting it up on gog. would suck for console players tho

boskee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
From what I heard it's all down to the depiction of substance abuse (you can use inhalers in Cyberpunk 2077). If that's the case, then I'd expect CDPR to change the inhaler animation to something less controversial, like an energy drink or something. CDPR already had a problem getting one of their games certified down under - namely The Witcher 2, so they know how to work around the censorship:

In the original version your character Geralt was given the choice of accepting sex 'as a reward' for successfully completing this particular side quest. The Australian Classification Board originally refused classification as they deemed the inclusion of 'sex as a reward' as not suitable for an MA15+ classification.

The change is only minor, in that the character choice is now made automatically for him. The character and the side quest are still in the game but presented in a slightly different context. No other changes have been made and this change has no impact on gameplay, storyline or character development.

Nov 3, 2017
...I kinda really want CDPR to change the game to comply with Australian ratings just to see everyone lose their shit over a fucking videogame

boskee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
Having grown up in a country where people were jailed for the wrong opinion, and personally knowing some of those people, you'll find I have very little sympathy for people who only really care about censorship when it effects their vidyagames

I am not sure what you're trying to say. Are you OK with people being denied access to certain media, because back in a day, people were jailed for having an opinion in your country? That's regressive AF. You may as well say that you're ok with gay people being denied civil partneship, because in some countries gays are sentenced to death.

idclev

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
A couple of Aussie journalists working for IGN, after seeing Cyberpunk 2077 footage at E3. They are very excited.

They also think there is no way in hell the Australian Classification Board will not refuse classification.

For those still unaware of the arcane nonsense that is the government-owned Australian ratings system, the Australian Classification Board has restrictions on what media can be sold and imported into Australia. Roughly around before 2011, video games had a maximum rating of MA15+, which caused several controversies over content that was "Refused Classification" (RC) such as Fallout 3 multiple GTA games, etc, until the government implemented a proper R18+ rating for games. Unfortunately, the standards were also not properly updated to accompany it, resulting in other games becoming effectively banned or censored even after the new rating was established (Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus, State of Decay, Valkyrie Drive, Hotline Miami 2, We Happy Few, etc), generally over the use of drugs or sexual content.

A change to the ratings standards is likely not gonna change anytime soon without a huge public outcry. I actually posted a petition on the topic on the Australian Parliament site (search for EN0165), completely forgot about it, and, well, got a response.

This is probably going to be the biggest upcoming release that will likely not be able to make it past the Board (and therefore "banned"), so I expect an uproar when it happens. It's also frankly anachronistic, due to the increasing ease of use for acquiring "banned" content online on both consoles and PC, especially since CD Projekt don't use DRM.

GOOD

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having grown up in a country where people were jailed for the wrong opinion, and personally knowing some of those people, you'll find I have very little sympathy for people who only really care about censorship when it effects their vidyagames
You're saying this on a worldwide gaming enthusiast forum, you shouldn't be surprised that this may be some individuals' most glaring exposure to censorship. The relative innocuity of games, and the fact they *need* to be censored, is probably part of it too.

Deleted member 11943

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what's the process of still getting these games in Australia? I can't see there being a lot of ways to stop important and downloads.

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
We are definitely behind the times in some areas haha. Oh well I'll be getting on PC anyway which will still be easy enough to get should it be banned.

Hopefully the guide lines get updated though.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think when CDPR got dicked around by Australian video game retailers for TW2 they turned off Geo-location on GoG so people could buy it cheaper than in retail stores.

Hopefully they do the same in this situation.

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Get with the fucking times, Australia. There's a rating system for a reason.

I really hope CDPR don't end up censoring or cutting back on the debauchery.

Oct 25, 2017
It's all but impossible to back this up, but multiple games over the years have used 'Australia classification issues' as PR moves and as some (effective) marketing.

There's the outright 'South Park gonna South Park' koala stuff, others are a little more difficult to spot.

And not every RC'd game does this either. RC in this case meaning Refused Classification, ie a game that's well and truly into being reviewed by all regions' ESRB/PEGI counterparts.

'Play the game Australia's censors don't want you to see' is a particularly disingenuous way to hype your game and I wish it would be called out for what it is when it happens.

For my part, I imported Mortal Kombat 9 on 360 as it was one of the last games to be RC'd here before the intro of our R18+ rating and guidelines.

Before that I purchased what was most likely an illegally sold copy of Manhunt 2 for Wii, from an independent bricks and mortar store (pre-R18, the laws surrounding sale etc differed from state to state).

We Happy Few will go through the same classification review like any other game and be judged accordingly.

Laws and regulations I don't necessarily agree with still need to be abided by those who want to sell their wares in my country, it is galling to see them manipulated all the same.

EDIT: typed all that out on mobile, so yes I do know the topic is about a CD Projekt Red release too :)

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
Does this mean I'll have to import this, how does that even work? If I go to San Fran on a holiday and buy a copy, will it work on my Australian PS4?

Enazrat

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate language
Of course Australia would have a retarded system

Oct 25, 2017
This is a dumb fucking question, so please forgive me, but are Australian consoles that are region-locked lumped in with Asian consoles, EU consoles, or does Oceania have its own region?

Sorry for my ignorance.

Your drinking age is 21.

There are goddam dry counties here. Americans love being led around like children by authorities. That's why weed legalization has taken so long.