Cyberpunk 2077 Creative Director joins Blizzard

Nov 22, 2017
This looks to me like better news from Blizzard than worse from CDPR.
The move from Poland to California might have been a bit of a shock.

Oct 30, 2017
It's likely that by this point they're done with most of the story and narrative and are just building a lot of the remaining stuff to have it in a properly releasable state.

Oct 25, 2017
Not really unusual, if they are in Beta and are mostly polishing the game, he has nothing really to do.

But that,s only one possibility.
If its this, then agreed. Maybe we will learn more in time?

Good news for Blizzard though, quite the acquisition.

Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
It'll be nice to have a, from what I understand, a well regarded creative lead working at a company with a good sense of style and art direction

But yeah this is normal, stop stalking linkedin profiles and making threads about it damn

Oct 28, 2017
There is probably very few creative director roles available on good companies so it is best to go there if you get an offer before someone else does.

Mar 22, 2018
Midwest, USA
Uhh, I’m going to disagree with the majority of this thread and say it’s not normal for the creative director to leave mid-flight. It would be like the director of a movie leaving after shooting is done and not overseeing any of the editing.

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Do people actually know that its common for games creative directors to leave like 12 months before release or whatever? Call BS that they do. Cos most big creative directors give interviews on the games release.

Could be a major reboot with not long to go, ala Destiny

Uhh, I’m going to disagree with the majority of this thread and say it’s not normal for the creative director to leave mid-flight. It would be like the director of a movie leaving after shooting is done and not overseeing any of the editing.
I've seen it happen on all the games I've worked on personally. Is it a common thing? I couldn't tell. But it does happen.

Oct 27, 2017
Stepien is very talented, to see him go where talented developers go to creatively die is super depressing.
I fully expect him to come back in few years after having released nothing of note at Blizzard, Leon Boyarsky-style.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard probably pays 3x as much or similar.

What his experience brings to Blizzard though I have no idea. They don't make narrative focused games which he has worked on thus far.

Oct 25, 2017
Creative director? Is this guy stepping into Metzen's shoes?
I thought people were leaving Blizzard. :/
Why the long face?

Changing of the guard, though. People leaving blizzard means there are spots to fill. People were expressing concern because some of that guard is very very old, and had kept a relatively reliable hand at the rudder for lo these past 20 years.

Feb 4, 2018
KC, KS
This is good news hopefully. A great creative person going INTO Blizzard hopefully means more well developed new games and content is on the stove for Blizzard. Also this likely means CDPR is far into Cyberpunk development that the Director of Creative development is no longer a vital role as one might worry when seeing such a high level member of the team leaving... let's also not forget how many people are working on this new CDPR game... losing one person to another super high profile developer isn't gonna spell doom for the project they're leaving behind.

Scuffed

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They probably offered him a ton of money. Hopefully his clout can keep the marketing people off his back long enough to make a good Blizzard game.

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it's just a sign that the writing and creative design is mostly resolved. Didn't they hint at a 2019 release date last year or was that just my brain mis-remembering?

Oct 27, 2017
I just asked my friend from CDPR and he told me that the board was surprised by his leaving. He didn't accept the big pay rise they have offered him.

Oct 28, 2017
That new director is moving on because he is getting a new FAT paycheck. I am confident the pay scale is much higher at blizzard. I wouldn’t look too deeply into cyberpunk losing him. People leave jobs all the time for various reasons. MONEY is a powerful motivator.

Oct 25, 2017
That new director is moving on because he is getting a new FAT paycheck. I am confident the pay scale is much higher at blizzard. I wouldn’t look too deeply into cyberpunk losing him. People leave jobs all the time for various reasons. MONEY is a powerful motivator.
Yep. Although I suspect that CDPR is particularly susceptible to poaching due to the massive differences in salary and bonuses.

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
For the reasons of him leaving, I could see the CDPR crunch finally taking too much of a toll. As to my understanding, Activision-Blizzard is allegedly really nice place to work. Atleast as far as gaming companies go, even though they had that one notable racial abuse and discrimination incident. Of course it won't be a vacation at Blizzard either, but likely bit more lax.
Blizzard probably pays 3x as much or similar.

What his experience brings to Blizzard though I have no idea. They don't make narrative focused games which he has worked on thus far.
Many of their games do have a lot of story and especially lore. It's just that it's not usually anything special.
This isn't the first high profile departure from CDPR in the last couple of months. This was the guy who presented the game at E3:

Whooooa Finland! I forgot he worked for Remedy before. Welcome back ^^

Last edited: