• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
From his LinkedIn profile, nothing more to add at the moment:

linkedindok37.png

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sebastian-stępień-3bb81947/

Creative director leaving while the game is still in development is rather unusual, right?

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
This looks to me like better news from Blizzard than worse from CDPR.
The move from Poland to California might have been a bit of a shock.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This looks rather unusual indeed. Unless Cyberpunk is much later in development than we imagined.

trashkitty

Oct 30, 2017
It's likely that by this point they're done with most of the story and narrative and are just building a lot of the remaining stuff to have it in a properly releasable state.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
It'll be nice to have a, from what I understand, a well regarded creative lead working at a company with a good sense of style and art direction

But yeah this is normal, stop stalking linkedin profiles and making threads about it damn

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
This is normal, once the job is done you get your paycheck and move on.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Seems he actually wasn't the current Creative Director and was 'demoted' to Narrative/Setting Director, so probably not a huge deal.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I feel like it's a bit odd he didn't want to see the game he directed for 6 years to ship.

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is probably very few creative director roles available on good companies so it is best to go there if you get an offer before someone else does.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Uhh, I'm going to disagree with the majority of this thread and say it's not normal for the creative director to leave mid-flight. It would be like the director of a movie leaving after shooting is done and not overseeing any of the editing.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Do people actually know that its common for games creative directors to leave like 12 months before release or whatever? Call BS that they do. Cos most big creative directors give interviews on the games release.

Could be a major reboot with not long to go, ala Destiny

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
This isn't the first high profile departure from CDPR in the last couple of months. This was the guy who presented the game at E3:

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stepien is very talented, to see him go where talented developers go to creatively die is super depressing.
I fully expect him to come back in few years after having released nothing of note at Blizzard, Leon Boyarsky-style.

Last edited:

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard probably pays 3x as much or similar.

What his experience brings to Blizzard though I have no idea. They don't make narrative focused games which he has worked on thus far.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
What a loss for CDPR. Interesting pick-up from Blizzard - they must have given him a lot of freedom.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine their talent is highly sought after and stands to get a huge paybump from other big AAA publishers.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Creative director? Is this guy stepping into Metzen's shoes?
I thought people were leaving Blizzard. :/
Why the long face?

Changing of the guard, though. People leaving blizzard means there are spots to fill. People were expressing concern because some of that guard is very very old, and had kept a relatively reliable hand at the rudder for lo these past 20 years.

Mildoze

Feb 4, 2018
KC, KS
This is good news hopefully. A great creative person going INTO Blizzard hopefully means more well developed new games and content is on the stove for Blizzard. Also this likely means CDPR is far into Cyberpunk development that the Director of Creative development is no longer a vital role as one might worry when seeing such a high level member of the team leaving... let's also not forget how many people are working on this new CDPR game... losing one person to another super high profile developer isn't gonna spell doom for the project they're leaving behind.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
They probably offered him a ton of money. Hopefully his clout can keep the marketing people off his back long enough to make a good Blizzard game.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Activision-Blizzard with those moves after letting Bungie go. I'm expecting a new IP with him involved.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it's just a sign that the writing and creative design is mostly resolved. Didn't they hint at a 2019 release date last year or was that just my brain mis-remembering?

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
I just asked my friend from CDPR and he told me that the board was surprised by his leaving. He didn't accept the big pay rise they have offered him.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
That new director is moving on because he is getting a new FAT paycheck. I am confident the pay scale is much higher at blizzard. I wouldn't look too deeply into cyberpunk losing him. People leave jobs all the time for various reasons. MONEY is a powerful motivator.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
That new director is moving on because he is getting a new FAT paycheck. I am confident the pay scale is much higher at blizzard. I wouldn't look too deeply into cyberpunk losing him. People leave jobs all the time for various reasons. MONEY is a powerful motivator.

Yep. Although I suspect that CDPR is particularly susceptible to poaching due to the massive differences in salary and bonuses.