• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
When you insist on putting it like that.... :'(

Good thing out of the conference call script it that they do have several surprises planned to start the hype train. Just don't know when that'll be.
Whatever it is, I hope it's meaty and involves nighttime in the rain for over 5 minutes😎
It's less to do with what they feel about the game, and more to do with what the platform owners (Sony, Microsoft) thought
Wait, what??

Please elaborate on this, as I was under the impression that the polishing phase was going to take an additional four months over the original April 16th, 2020 release date before gold status was achieved🤔
It sucks for you because your primary takeaway is you have to wait longer, and that's what your focusing on. People who are saying it is "good" are reading the statement in its full, which you have too, but more importantly taking into context the implication that the game is simply not ready and/or has not met CDPR's standard of quality. Statements like this aren't just saying "you have to wait longer, that sucks", they're saying "we need more time to make the game the best it can be, and we're going to take it". How you want to frame it is up to you, but the reason people are saying "good" is because they've accepted they have no control over the former part of the statement (the release date), and thus can only sensibly process the latter (the state of the game and time needed to meet standards).

So yes, it's good. It sucks waiting. But I am happy to wait until September. Or until January next year. Or December 2021. Or whatever, because if that's the time they need, based on their gauge of development and production quality, then I'd rather they take that time than rush it to the market to meet arbitrary date expectations.
18-anchorman-quotes.gif

Thank you so much for this post! I may be grown, but it still helps to put things in perspective when someone verbalizes something in such a way, that it makes total sense and creates a calming effect for the reader when they are upset about the subject🤘🏻

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
When people comment along the lines of, "good, I don't want them to rush it" that has got to be one of the most bizarre things to say. Nothing about a delay like this is good news for us. It fucking sucks. It means the game we thought was ready is not. Obviously we want them to take the time they need, but now we know they do need more time. Which sucks. It's so strange how some people almost come across as celebrating a delay - "good". Nope!

Nice to know I am not the only one who thinks some responses are a little bit odd.

boskee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
Wait, what??

Please elaborate on this, as I was under the impression that the polishing phase was going to take an additional four months over the original April 16th, 2020 release date before gold status was achieved🤔

They've failed certain technical milestones required before the game can be sent for approval. That's all I can say

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they use the time to edit out the tryhard profanity that makes it seem as vapid as Beyond Good And Evil 2.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018

Does your...information say they'll be in good shape to hit the September date? I remember a year or so ago you were very pessimistic about how much of the game was actually done.

EDIT: looks like you addressed this point earlier in the thread:

Told you guys it's not coming out in April. Hopefully they manage to hit the September deadline, but I'd be cautious about it too given the state of the game.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Does your...information say they'll be in good shape to hit the September date? I remember a year or so ago you were very pessimistic about how much of the game was actually done.

EDIT: looks like you addressed this point earlier in the thread:

Reading that second sentence, has CDPR ever shown the game running on current gen hardware?

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
They've failed certain technical milestones required before the game can be sent for approval. That's all I can say
Let me ask this question then, given the official statement CDPR released today; stating that the game is "complete and playable" ... - when you say that the state that the game is in may prevent it from even releasing on the delayed September 17th release date - one of those two statements can't be correct, right?

boskee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
Let me ask this question then, given the official statement CDPR released today; stating that the game is "complete and playable" ... - when you say that the state that the game is in may prevent it from even releasing on the delayed September 17th release date - one of those two statements can't be correct, right?
I don't see any contradiction - their press release states Cyberpunk's content-ready and complete. It's just really buggy. I'm cautious about it because of what I've heard so far and the fact they need another 5 months to sort out problems. That's just my assumption tho - you should probably listen to the official messaging and hope it comes out in September.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I don't see any contradiction - their press release states Cyberpunk's content-ready and complete. It's just really buggy. I'm cautious about it because of what I've heard so far and the fact they need another 5 months to sort out problems. That's just my assumption tho - you should probably listen to the official messaging and hope it comes out in September.
I've listened to and read all of it. It's just very strange that a game that entered the final stages of development in November of 2019, with a release date set for April 16th, 2020 now has an additional 5 month delay until September 17th, 2020 for "additional polishing" and according to you bug fixes so severe that it may not even make the September 17th, 2020 release date.

What could be so severe that from this point until the supposed release date that would take 8 months to fix when they were so confident a month or two ago that it would be out 3 months from today?

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
As much as I want to play this game, I don't mind the delay. I remember back when we saw the E3 2018 stuff I was thinking this was a late 2020/early 2021 game, basically the final 'big' game for the generation right before new consoles release (just more of a hunch than anything else). In that way April seemed a bit early, and seeing it pushed into the fall feels like it's now getting the more appropriate release date in a weird way. Ultimately it all depends on how the final product turns out of course, and here's hoping to see the game get extra 'polished up' with that added time. I still kind of hope that they maybe add third person to cutscenes with this extra time, but I'm not expecting that.

So yeah, I definitely don't mind the delay. Certainly gives me a bunch more time to finish games on my backlog (I'm expecting my backlog progress to come to a grinding halt once Cyberpunk comes out).

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
All these games I was excited to play early in the year just get pushed back to near the end of the year. I guess I have plenty of time to play COD which I just recently bought.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
From what little I know about game development, sometimes an initially announced release date is complete bullshit and the dev team know that, they just want the shareholders off their backs for a while.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I've listened to and read all of it. It's just very strange that a game that entered the final stages of development in November of 2019, with a release date set for April 16th, 2020 now has an additional 5 month delay until September 17th, 2020 for "additional polishing" and according to you bug fixes so severe that it may not even make the September 17th, 2020 release date.

What could be so severe that from this point until the supposed release date that would take 8 months to fix when they were so confident a month or two ago that it would be out 3 months from today?
Its nothing severe, all of it is QA testing. To quote them, no "fundamental mechanisms" need to be worked on. They've also mentioned in the call that they did not want to release the game during summer holidays. That naturally pushes the game in Aug-Sept, while giving them more time to finish the game.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Its nothing severe, all of it is QA testing. To quote them, no "fundamental mechanisms" need to be worked on. They've also mentioned in the call that they did not want to release the game during summer holidays. That naturally pushes the game in Aug-Sept, while giving them more time to finish the game.
I get that - the only thing that keeps standing out to me is how on Twitter all the developers were liking the "Cyberpunk 2077 Countdown" saying things like "We can't wait either!" and "Get get ready!" and things like that - only a few days ago; which obviously shows that they weren't in the loop regarding this delay and they even mentioned on that call that it was something that was decided by the board of directors and handed down and brought up to the team today.

If the dev team thought it was ready, then what else could be going on that would prompt the higher-ups to decide to delay the game?

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
This just killed all excitement I had. I'll still pick it up but I'm just not gonna be interested in anything they say until like July or August.

And wtf they went through that whole Keanu reveal and do this? Well done Cdpr...

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone experienced their brick and mortar retailer going out of business while waiting on the collector's edition release. Did the publisher try to help out or were you shit out of luck?

I can imagine the delay playing havoc with the physical content suppliers, especially if they need to hold stock until then.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
This just killed all excitement I had. I'll still pick it up but I'm just not gonna be interested in anything they say until like July or August.

And wtf they went through that whole Keanu reveal and do this? Well done Cdpr...
So all your excitement was tied to the time of release and not the game itself? These types of comments are really weird.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
This delay really begs the question on whether or not all of the major AAA gaming companies communicate with each other regarding release dates. It's a popular theory that every AAA game has to have it's own space during a release month and if a delay occurs, speculation emerges whether it was an actual delay, or a manufactured delay - things like that.

These are questions that gamers have been asking themselves for decades and it seems that with the passing of time, there is more clarity given on the notion that the more AAA content releases per year, the more things have to shift and move around to accommodate them.

Croyles

Oct 25, 2017

Yes revealing Keanu Reeves to be in your game should exclude it from having delays.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
One delay is not constant and I get not being as excited as you would be for it if it was coming out sooner, but losing all interest in the game and any information on is bizarre.
I was talking about delay culture in general now days. Things are announced way too soon. Release dates shouldn't be disclosed until developers know exactly when they're gonna release something

Nov 14, 2017
This makes me more likely to wait for the next gen console versions. They should be out Q4 2020, and I bet CDPR will get Cyberpunk out for their launch.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about delay culture in general now days. Things are announced way too soon. Release dates shouldn't be disclosed until developers know exactly when they're gonna release something
I agree. I feel like giving a release day now a days is another way for marketers to create buzz around a game even if it doesn't make it.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
has there been any official confirmation of the game getting next gen benefits, aside from whatever each console will add to running a game in BC?

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe severe performance issues on base consoles worse than what we saw in control and fallen order?

Feb 10, 2018
It probably just 100s of bugs and glitches being found.
For game as big as cyberpunk it does not surprise me. The game could be completely finished but there's still glitches and bugs in the nooks and crannies of the game.
R* open world games have always been delayed.

May 26, 2018
Reading the conference call, it totally makes sense. I worked on a really huge mod for Deus Ex in the day, and just from complexity the amount of bugs that stack up is monumental. It doesn't mean anything is poorly programmed, there are just so many intersecting points; elements of the game impacting others. There's no avoiding it.

If Cyberpunk 2077 is Deus Ex, but open world? Good lord. God speed, CDPR.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I am not fussed, I can wait. If it means polish and a break from the March-April release window then let them.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Reading the conference call, it totally makes sense. I worked on a really huge mod for Deus Ex in the day, and just from complexity the amount of bugs that stack up is monumental. It doesn't mean anything is poorly programmed, there are just so many intersecting points; elements of the game impacting others. There's no avoiding it.

If Cyberpunk 2077 is Deus Ex, but open world? Good lord. God speed, CDPR.

Yeah looking at the 48-minute demo they released, a lot of it just looks... Implausible, I guess? Like Rockstar does huge open worlds full of civilians walking around, but on the other hand their missions are extremely rigid and linear. Then games like Mass Effect have branching stories, but no open world. Cyberpunk looks like a game that's trying to do everything at once. Of course TW3 is open world and has branching story, but none of it comes even close to the seamless, cinematic quality promised in the Cyberpunk demo.

flobber

Nov 1, 2019
The game probably just secured more internal investment thanks to The Witcher's resurgence. I blame Netflix.

In all seriousness, I'm surprised... but also not too surprised given the complexity/scope of the game. I imagine they want to make sure the release is as positive as possible.
I really wish some publishers would not give specific dates so early though, it often feels like a strategy to push pre-orders at a specific time by taking advantage of a certain event.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Yaaaaaaaas more room for RE3 to shine

dlIpzbv.gif

All you people that said they would get RE3 after playing CP have no excuse now.