• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Here I was hoping they were gonna mention including some form of third person toggle (even if it's strictly when you're out of combat/dialogue).

Don't understand why so many new rpgs are forgoing third person view all of the sudden, this one, The Outer Worlds, Vampire: TMB2, for petes sake give us an option please. Customization options seem so useless when you can't see them 90% of the time so why bother?

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Here I was hoping they were gonna mention including some form of third person toggle (even if it's strictly when you're out of combat/dialogue).

Don't understand why so many new rpgs are forgoing third person view all of the sudden, this one, The Outer Worlds, Vampire: TMB2, for petes sake give us an option please. Customization options seem so useless when you can't see them 90% of the time so why bother?

I'm on your side, but devs should be able to make a first person game if they wish to.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Devs: "Stuff that were shown last year was not the true form of the game, we will add more things and show more later."
Era: "Downgrade!!"

They don't want to deal with character animation. Most of Western devs are always struggling with it somehow. Dual perspectives will only make things worse.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They don't want to deal with character animation. Most of Western devs are always struggling with it somehow. Dual perspectives will only make things worse.

Which AAA western devs are struggling with character animations?

Other than CDPR that is. I agree The Witcher 3 had bad animations.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm on your side, but devs should be able to make a first person game if they wish to.

Sure, but there are legit people that can't play or enjoy fps only games, so they are losing all of those players who can't. (I'm not one of them though, I just like 3rd person because I like seeing my character and all the gear I acquire over the game in rpgs). I mean Cyberpunk has a "style" system in it, which even further seems strange that it's first person and we already know that dialogue is in first person so you won't even see your characters when talking with npcs either, so there's not a ton of chances (that I can think of) to see them aside from an inventory screen or some select cutscenes or something if at that.

Devs: "Stuff that were shown last year was not the true form of the game, we will add more things and show more later."
Era: "Downgrade!!"

I would think a compromise for a third person toggle while exploring would be reasonable and not take up a huge amount of dev time. The only animations you'd need are a simple walking/running animation (which are likely shared already between the character and the npc rigging system) and some tweaking for clothing and things for clipping reasons or such maybe. Then whenever you enter dialogue/combat it just automatically goes back into first person so they don't have to animate every single interaction or have separate animations for combat between 1st and 3rd person.

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I read the excerpts and I thought he said that there was new stuff to be shown, and not that game would be mechanically changed. Which sounds good since other option would suggest lack of understanding to make gameplay mechanics good, so you would have Anthem like situation were devs would just incoherently doing stuff even in production.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which AAA western devs are struggling with character animations?

Other than CDPR that is. I agree The Witcher 3 had bad animations.
Did you miss the dozens of threads/articles on Red Dead 2 animation? Or ME Andromeda previously? How about Bethesda games? And here's some complaints about AC Odyssey.

That basically cover most biggest 3rd party devs out there. Outside of Sony first party games, a lot of other AAA studios are still struggling on third person animation, and focusing on first person perspective.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Did you miss the dozens of threads/articles on Red Dead 2 animation? Or ME Andromeda previously? How about Bethesda games? And here's some complaints about AC Odyssey.

That basically cover most biggest 3rd party devs out there. Outside of Sony first party games, a lot of other AAA studios are still struggling on third person animation, and focusing on first person perspective.

RDR2 has the best 3rd person character animations. It's just not what some people prefer. The animations themselves are great.

ME had many issues, not just animations and BioWare is capable of doing good animations. They just had issues with some animations for that game.

Ubisoft also has some of the best animations in the industry. Look at For Honor, AC Unity, Watch Dogs. AC Origins and Odyssey have jankier animations because they prioritize controls.

For Honor alone has top tier animations with motion matching tech and the perfect balance between responsive yet smooth animations.

Western devs aren't struggling with 3rd person animations at all.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
Remember the game have to run on the xbox one s, of course they'll have to make compromises.. hoping for at least a crossgen release, my PC is underpowered as hell.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I really care about is whether they've managed to change their outlook on LGBTQ people and how they'll be portrayed in the game. Only time will tell, but I'm not holding my breath.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything his comments make it seem like they've improved upon what was already shown which was great. /shrug

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense it would be different.

They said over and over that the game footage won't be the same in the final game. What this means remains to be seen.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The only thing I really care about is whether they've managed to change their outlook on LGBTQ people and how they'll be portrayed in the game. Only time will tell, but I'm not holding my breath.
Witcher 3 did it pretty well. Unfortunately just minor side characters (well there's Ciri too), but don't think there's much to fear. Hopefully there's LGBTQ in more prominent role too this time.

Last edited:

notme2020

Dec 3, 2017
Of course the game is going to change its still in development and people are already freaking out on ERA surprise surprise. Cant wait to see new gameplay at E3.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Raise the bar from what was probably the most divisive game from last year?
This is where we're at huh?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing more at E3. Can't come soon enough.

They openly stated the reason they initially planned to keep the press demo private was because they expected a lot of the game to change between then and release, and didn't want to give false first impressions, an experience they felt they'd learned from The Witcher 3. They only buckled because of the overwhelming positivity from press and frustrating demands from fans to make the footage public. And when it was cut together for a public release, it came branded with text and several voice overs repeatedly stating this is an early build of the game which may change drastically over the course of development.

Low and behold the game has, apparently, changed in some unspecified ways, none of which have been demonstrated visually or mechanically yet. Nobody has anything to be upset about. Everybody was repeatedly warned, and nobody even has a frame of reference for what these apparent changes are.
Won't stop people being upset my friend. Looking forward to the thread in the same vein as puddlegate on this.

Last edited:

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds pretty good. He went out of his way to say "it's an RPG" so I'm cool with that focus. Mostly I want to be able to explore and have lots of different paths and choices. Being able to play through with different weapon styles is nice (he mentioned a katana).

NHale

Oct 25, 2017
RIP 2019 dreams of Cyberpunk and TLOU2. Sounds like Spring 2020 at the absolute earliest, more likely summer 2020.

Well, at least it leaves a clear slot for TLOU2 to shine.

Unless they changed their ways, CDPR will announce a release date for Cyberpunk sometime in the future and then at least delay it once. So considering they still haven't taken the first step the 2019 was already dead to begin with.

My uneducated guess is that they will announce a release date at E3 (February 2020) and then in the end of the year announce a delay to May/June or September/October 2020 (they can even make it coincide with launch window for new HW as a cross gen title which would mean extra copies consider how barren launch lineups and how hungry early adopters usually are).

At this time I would be more surprised at a 2019 release than a 2021 release to be quite honest. And I don't have any problem with that. Take your time.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
It's normal for a game to change quite a bit within a year during development.
I kinda doubt they're talking about a downgrade here, the gameplay demo didn't look like something that is impossible to achieve and the new consoles will be here very soon so they can make it a crossgen title.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
some ppl won't ever get over the absence of third person gameplay, and it's a shame that the given reasoning is so often that first person perspective is like some sort of shortcut, rather than a deliberate and deeply implicative design decision. those thoughts are almost insultingly reductive as far as I'm concerned

Last edited:

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
These comments make it sound like the game is nearly finished. Talking about polishing etc. Maybe they will hit that November release date

Deleted member 34385

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
nobody to blame or to be angry on, they warned us time after time, put warnings in front of every video and said it during every interview that the game would change drastically.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
nobody to blame or to be angry on, they warned us time after time, put warnings in front of every video and said it during every interview that the game would change drastically.

This is so true, whoever gets mad about this is doing it so stupidly.

Games change a lot during development especially ambitious projects like Cyberpunk

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I certainly hope so. I thought the first showing wasn't great. A lot of the systems looked very interesting, but the writing came across very poorly.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
What november release date? To me it actually sounds like the game is still far off.
There was a leak a few days ago where a Slovakian game store had it up that it was releasing on November 28. Obviously could be a placeholder or whatever but I'm definitely thinking the game is a lot closer than I was thinking before. Thought this was very far off, 2021 maybe. Not so sure now with these comments

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019

it saves $$$ to forego main character animation

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Are there more than 2 genders yet if they are going and changing things anyway?