• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 28131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
RDR2 did not set any bars. It's still very debated.

giphy.gif

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
RDR2's open world is a new bar in the genere.
As game as a whole is very good but not revolutionary, especially with those outdated gameplay mechanics.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I can't even imagine how this is going to look and run in an Og Xbox or even PS4.
Just drop it to next gen now

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Hahaha uh... ok champ. If you don't think RDR2 raised the bar for open world games in any way at all then I'm just gonna assume you're a troll.
Look around this topic.

We are all trolls because we don't agree with you. Technically it is a new bar for open world. A that is it.

Gameplay surely not, freedom surely not, narrative surely not etc. I am sorry if you where so impressed by the graphics to forget everything else

Deleted member 28131

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Look around this topic.

We are all trolls because we don't agree with you. Technically it is a new bar for open world. A that is it.

Gameplay surely not, freedom surely not, narrative surely not etc. I am sorry if you where so impressed by the graphics to forget everything else

Who's we? I'm replying to you. A new bar for open world games, yes, that's exactly what I said. So we agree?

I made no comment about gameplay and I can absolutely see why many didn't enjoy that aspect of it, that's fine. I enjoyed the slower pace and simulation aspects of it. And graphics? Where did this come from? Why are you assuming I'm only impressed by the graphics? The fuck lol.

Even CD Projekt Red said themselves that they want Cyberpunk 2077 to have the same quality as RDR2.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Who's we? I'm replying to you. A new bar for open world games, yes, that's exactly what I said. So we agree?

I made no comment about gameplay and I can absolutely see why many didn't enjoy that aspect of it, that's fine. I enjoyed the slower pace and simulation aspects of it. And graphics? Where did this come from? Why are you assuming I'm only impressed by the graphics? The fuck lol.

Even the CEO of CD Project Red said himself that he wants Cyberpunk 2077 to have the same quality as RDR2.
"we" because you accuse me of being a troll and my response was that I am by far not the only one.

I assume that it's graphics that got you because it's the only aspect of the game that sets a new bar. There is a difference between a new bar in technical advancement for open worlds and a new bar for open world in general.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Nice. Probably going to get the PS5 version, hopefully it can match the trailer's visuals. Then I can go back and play the PS4 titles I've missed while gaming on PC these 1-2 years.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah. The doubt I've seen people have for C2077 makes no sense to me. Like, people didn't feel that the trailer/gameplay look showed the depth of the world. Uh, yeah? It was 50 minutes. That's a small fraction of anything, and a lot of that was getting right to the action "looks good for the press" stuff. It's like people just completely forgot about TW3.

Also yes RDR2 did absolutely nothing for any sort of "bar"; this isn't 2009 where I get impressed that I can wipe off a gun to raise its shinyness stat or whatever.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Two words. Watch Dogs.

Absolutely embarrassing the way people acted with that shit, and it's far from the only example.

I think that's more an indictment of the internet in general: a senseless inferno of blind, opinionated rabble that eventually burns itself out only to rekindle on the next 'hot take'.

I love the connectivity we have, though I loathe how easily that connectivity fosters negativity.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
They just need to get the combat/shooting right. I trust them with everything else, but combat has always been a problem in their games and its their first FPS, too.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they changed their ways, CDPR will announce a release date for Cyberpunk sometime in the future and then at least delay it once. So considering they still haven't taken the first step the 2019 was already dead to begin with.

My uneducated guess is that they will announce a release date at E3 (February 2020) and then in the end of the year announce a delay to May/June or September/October 2020 (they can even make it coincide with launch window for new HW as a cross gen title which would mean extra copies consider how barren launch lineups and how hungry early adopters usually are).

At this time I would be more surprised at a 2019 release than a 2021 release to be quite honest. And I don't have any problem with that. Take your time.

I'm of two minds on the release date.

Realistically, I agree with you in that they announce for early 2020 - say, February, and then possibly delay to summer 2020.

But....if they announce a 2019 release date (or even a target date), that's gonna build hype like pretty much nothing else would.....but that could also 'backfire' if they have to delay again after that.

It's interesting in that there have been 'hints' both that the game has come pretty far (such as the main path being playable since august of last year), and then we get interviews like this, lol.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If only the differences included adding a third person view option. C'mon, CDPR. Don't leave me in the dust.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
97 metacritic..23 million sales and counting...130+ GOTY awards

RDR 2 has and will never be divisive, it is only "divisive" on ERA if anything

Errr...people really uses metacritic scores to argue game is not divisive with a straight face? lol

Edit: Of course people are already mad about a possible graphical downgrade. I think it's a fair possibility that would happen at some point, being a open world game with lots of content. Personally i think they should focus on creating a great gameplay experience with meaningful content, if they can maintain or not the graphic standard of the previous trailer shouldn't matter too much in the end.

Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
CDPR: Here you go, little girl. I give you your game.

*Looks at the cover and sees "Cyberpunk 2077: A Point-and-click Adventure Game"*
Me: But I gave you a AAA, 80 million dollar big budget action adventure game....

CDPR: It is point and click adventure game now.
That would be good too though...

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Errr...people really uses metacritic scores to argue game is not divisive with a straight face? lol

Edit: Of course people are already mad about a possible graphical downgrade. I think it's a fair possibility that would happen at some point, being a open world game with lots of content. Personally i think they should focus on creating a great gameplay experience with meaningful content, if they can maintain or not the graphic standard of the previous trailer shouldn't matter too much in the end.
the fact that it got 130 + GOTY awards shows that it wasn't really divisive

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
please stay a first person game
Crossing my fingers for a third-person mode.
Maybe they upgraded to third-person.
If only the differences included adding a third person view option. C'mon, CDPR. Don't leave me in the dust.

===========================

Dualshockers talked to quest designer Patrick Mills at this year's Gamescom who confirmed that the first-person perspective won't change.
"We are firm in that decision. However, we're very aware that a lot of people don't like first-person, and there is a small number of people who can't play first-person for a variety of reasons."
Mills went on to say that the studio hoped to create a selection of difficulty and sensibility options to make the game more accessible to those who normally can't play those types of games.

===========================

I'm not sure if you all have read the very clear quotes coming out of CDPR. They also squashed the countless threads about the perspective on their own forums.

I can't find the other quote, but there's even a quote where they say they are only focusing on first-person for launch, and that they are MAYBE thinking about other perspectives down the line.

And I won't requote myself, but again, it seems a lot of people have a gap in knowledge about what it takes to make the different perspectives and the large amount of work it would actually take to "just make it third-person as well". Not to mention the fact that for a game with reportedly this much detail, it might conflict with the design.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

I don't think goty awards show anything other than what was the most hyped game with enormous marketing and production values of said year. But opinions.

It's okay that you and a big portion of these 23m people loved RDR2 for what it is, but criticism against the game by another portion is also valid and regarded as good points, which means it's a divisive game.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To all the people saying "lol downgrade" wtf did you expect when they put out that footage with the explicit warning that it was going
To massively change!? No one is trying to fool you

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think goty awards show anything other than what was the most hyped game with enormous marketing and production values of said year. But opinions.

It's okay that you and a big portion of these 23m people loved RDR2 for what it is, but criticism against the game by another portion is also valid and regarded as good points, which means it's a divisive game.

I didnt like god of war as much as other people, does that mean its divisive too?

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019

literally every acclaimed game has its dedicated subtractors. BOTW is also "divisive" using that criteria

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

Interesting that you bring that point since god of war had the most goty awards this year. The metroidvania with excellent gameplay beat the hyper realistic sluggish to bad gameplay open world game. It had some AMAZING elements. But if I can fail a mission in an open world game for not doing it the exact way the game wants me to, the open world crumbles to nothing

Oct 31, 2017
I certainly hope so because I did not like what I saw in that 48 min demo, just a bunch of FPS games mixed together.

Wasn't as unique and praiseworthy as the gaming media made it out to be.
Conversely I still have problems believing it was all real. The amount of complexity showed or even just hinted was genuinely impressive.
To the point I'm basically confident it won't look that good on consoles, and I'm still questioning if it's feasible on PC.

Also, it really didn't remind me of "a bunch of FPS". It looked like a Vampire Bloodlines with ten times the size, budget and production value. Which I would definitely dig.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland

By that definition anything can be labelled divisive because you aren't gonna get a unified opinion on anything. It's divisive to you, that doesn't make it so for the rest of the world.

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017

Oh my, staaaaaaahp.

As for Cyberpunk, sounds like some cool changes. I just hope the crowds aren't too scaled back especially on consoles, I wouldn't buy a gimped version especially as next generation isn't too far off.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people still hoping for 3rd person mode? Even after the developer squashed it like a billions times. Acceptance is hard for some people i guess...

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I didnt like god of war as much as other people, does that mean its divisive too?

Nothing is universally praised.

It's normal that a game like God of War, or dunno, Ocarina of Time, or Hollow Knight, are regarded as not as good as some people think. They're not divisive because of that. Most people like them in different levels (from "this is the best thing ever" to "it's just okay"), and opinions regarding them as actual bad games are rare.

This is completely different from RDR2 scenario. It's less about "it's not that good" and more like "how the hell people have fun with this?".

This is not a post to bash RDR2. Even if i don't care about the game or open world stuff in general, i'm a fan of Souls games, which are also really divisive. I love them but it's not hard to understand why people simply can't stand playing these.

Dunno if it's because RDR2 is really mainstream and check most goty boxes, but it's sad that fans of the game regards any criticism as invalid because of arbitrary numbers and stuff like this.

To maintain this universally loved status of their beloved games, some people simply doesn't exist, or are trolling, or baiting or whatever.