• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019

"During a Q&A session, CD Projekt Red was asked if the development team would need to "crunch" to finish Cyberpunk 2077. Adam Kicinski, who is CD Projekt Red's joint CEO, confirmed that he expects the team to need to work long hours to finish the game, though he said there is a plan in place to attempt to lessen the periods of crunch."

"To some degree, yes--to be honest," Kicinski said. "We try to limit crunch as much as possible, but it is the final stage. We try to be reasonable in this regard, but yes. Unfortunately."

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Hello Crunch time, my old friend.

sucks that video game companies do this to their employees.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
To the surprise of no one that actually has experience working in the industry. When one of the AAA games I was working on in 2008 was delayed, it signaled the start of the most brutal crunch I had ever experienced. We thought the finish line was close, and then over night, it turned into "Don't forget, you're here forever."

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Absolute fucking garbage.

Like Jim Sterling would say: "And it IS abuse".

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Why didn't they just delay it another month then

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Or.. you can give yourself a longer delay period to avoid this.

I wonder if this response is a sign of progress: acknowledging crunch and not masking it as employers loving their work so much that they want to work long hours.

Apr 21, 2018
At this point they should take their time and not rush OR crunch. A cross gen launch and this could be the premiere next-gen game to get.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Why didn't they just delay it another month then

To think that even CD Projekt RED has its development pipeline plotted out down to an exact science for the next five months and haven't delayed it for that long based on estimations and vagueries undercuts the sheer difficulty it takes to make an AAA open-world RPG, let alone any major video game.

It's not that CD Projekt RED are necessarily the bad guys for making an unending crunch. They're just the ones being incrementally more open and honest about it than the rest of the industry (oh, and also all of them are the bad guys for perpetuating it).

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I assumed the delay was to elevate the crunch? Without it, the developers would probably put even more hours in. It's a sad reality of the industry even when not required. Peer pressure will always push employees to do this.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine how shit the last few months must have been when adding 5 fucking months of dev time doesn't alleviate this shit.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Um, delay it further then to avoid crunch? They just announced a delay, and then tell us they'll STILL be crunching?

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crunch isn't a problem since they get paid but I hope people aren't forced to or if they want time off they can get it.

fattylion

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Another month of delay would means millions more in expenses. And then there is burn outs from working on the same thing for years. Really sometimes is you just want to get the product out of the door. Hopefully CDPR compensates affected employees properly in form of overtime pay or a reasonable period of break.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Fam it ain't that serious, no crunch.

Hell every response I saw about the delay wasn't even mad, people were saying "hey as long as you do it then we'll wait whenever."

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
Why not put in November instead of September then? If you're gonna delay the game almost six months, might as well go for almost eight to ensure this doesn't happen.

RollTheDice

Oct 25, 2017
having worked in gamedev and been in this EXACT position, our schedule turned into 80-ish hour weeks. I feel really bad for them.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Here's your daily reminder about CD Prjekt RED paying their devs terribly low wages compared to the rest of the industry btw.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
they could delay it another year and there would still be crunch. That's just the culture there it seems, unfortunately.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'm upset about the delay, but this is not what I wanted to hear. I actually thought it was so long because they weren't doing this.