• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
Speaking to the PlayStation Official Magazine UK for the October 2020 issue, CD Projekt Red's staff have shared some interesting new details about weapons, fashion and vehicles in Cyberpunk 2077. One interesting line from Ben Andrews, concept art co-ordinator for the game's guns and mechanical devices:

Andrews mentioned how Cyberpunk 2077 has its own weapon culture that is very different to how weapons work in our world but a comparison can be drawn with one particular country.

"One of the things we thought about with the weapons is that in Cyberpunk, we have a very overt weapon culture. It's very different to the way weapons work in our world. This is like American gun culture just gone crazy, you know?"

"Everybody has a gun because violence has been taken to the extremes. The idea that you may be mugged on your way home from work is extremely common, or your apartment might be broken into at the weekend. So, everybody's carrying a gun."

The element of gun culture satire can be found in the game's adverts all over Night City. Andrews mentions how there's an advert for family friendy guns with a happy family posing with a gun - even the kids and pregnant moms have one.

Furthermore, he reveals that players will be able to buy low-tier, disposable guns in a very simple way. There's a gun called the Budget Arms Slaughtomatic, which cannot be reloaded so once you empty the clip, it's practically useless.

"The idea that you can pick up a gun for like five euro. And you pick it up when you're shopping in the 24/7, you use it to defend your home at the weekend, and then you just throw it away and you buy a new one," he explained.

www.altchar.com

Cyberpunk 2077 weapon culture is like American gun culture gone crazy

"This is like American gun culture just gone crazy, you know?" says Ben Andrews, concept art co-ordinator for Cyberpunk 2077's guns and mechanical devices.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, OP:

www.resetera.com

CDPR: Cyberpunk 2077 "is not a political statement"

(article is from 3 days ago but i haven't seen it mentioned here) Cyberpunk 2077 Lead Quest Designer Says No Changes Based on George Floyd Aftermath; Game is “Not a Political Statement, [or] a Political Thesis” original link was nichegamer but they're apparently GG trash. their article was...

Not political. You can't fool me.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
M1pQ3UH.jpg

What exactly is the "gone crazy" aspect?

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Find it hard to believe it can get any crazier. America's been at a point for a while now where they value the existence of guns over the lives of their own children.

Also, NON POLITICAL!

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
If what they describe as what currently exists in America is "sane" I do not want to know what "crazy" looks like. Guns are literally religion for people in some corners of the country.

May 17, 2018
Everybody has a gun because violence has been taken to the extremes. The idea that you may be mugged on your way home from work is extremely common, or your apartment might be broken into at the weekend. So, everybody's carrying a gun.

Cool, I guess, but, this magical land he speaks of is just, fuckin, living in south Philly.

God, every time these guys open their mouths I get pissed.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
They really think that's not already what American Gun Culture is like?

Maybe they keep calling Cyberpunk "non-political" because they don't know what they're even doing.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
American gun culture gone crazy

I'm pretty sure that's just regular American gun culture honestly........

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It sounds like they're putting a ton of thought into making the world feel truly lived in, which was the best bit of the Witcher III. I'm still waiting for the PS5 enhanced version though, hoping it'll be 60fps instead of 30fps.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Let's be real with ourselves - this company is very careful to maintain a friendly relationship with the alt-right. Implying that American gun culture is not already crazy is doing just that.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna guess that Europeans' idea of "American gun culture gone wild" is not that distinct from actual American gun culture. We already have guns marketed to families and kids, for example. Also, the idea that guns are ubiquitous and everyone has one, while not true, is a common trope that shows up everywhere from jokes on TV shows to the justification of police violence.

Sorry, I don't know why I got political there. Obviously magnifying and satirizing gun culture is not meant to be a political statement.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Don't fully expect them to criticize said culture or show it creating even more violence rather than truly protect people.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be real with ourselves - this company is very careful to maintain a friendly relationship with the alt-right. Implying that American gun culture is not already crazy is doing just that.
uhh, i feel like it's pretty obviously calling out the ridiculousness of Americas gun culture.

we take [absurd thing] and crank it up 11 has been a marketing trope for decades.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"Our game isn't political but it's satire."

CDPR, just please stop fucking talking.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
I wonder if CD project Red were one of the biggest devs I'm the world before Witcher 3 instead of after, they would have said as many dumbass things about that game. I greatly prefer sci-fi to fantasy and Witcher 3 still is my game of the generation. This game should be perfect for me, and honestly everything they've shown is right up my alley. But every time they open their mouth, I get less excited for this game. I'm purely hopeful based on their pedigree at this point.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
And yet a certain group of people will praise the game for how it keeps "political agendas out of it".

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, American gun culture is exposed as fucking stupid and really just racism precisely because crime is actually at historic lows. Thus, white families arming themselves to the teeth over "fears" makes no sense given the crime rates in those areas.

Yet, in their fictional world gun ownership is seemingly justified since muggings and killings are common place and the police unwilling to curb this violence. I thus fail to see the satire.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Its already out of control.

People think its like some sort of fucking religious right to be packing and people drop like flies in this country over gun deaths.

But yeah...."satire".

xem

Oct 31, 2017
Eh, American gun culture is exposed as fucking stupid and really just racism precisely because crime is actually at historic lows. Thus, white families arming themselves to the teeth over "fears" makes no sense given the crime rates in those areas.

Yet, in their fictional world gun ownership is seemingly justified since muggings and killings are common place and the police unwilling to curb this violence. I thus fail to see the satire.
not this crime... sickening
www.chicagotribune.com

Chicago Tribune

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
If what they describe as what currently exists in America is "sane" I do not want to know what "crazy" looks like. Guns are literally religion for people in some corners of the country.

Yea. But reading the lore book, he isn't lying. The gun culture in CP2077 is pretty insane mainly because of how advanced the tech is and dangerous Night City is. They even have a law similar to stand your ground but basically worse lol

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
It might not be great satire, but it's there. The cheap, no-reload, disposable guns. The continuous and needless creation of waste that literally spills blood, the obsession with the idea of self-defense, and how "a family that shoots together stays together" or some stupid shit that I feel like I've seen on a shirt somewhere.

Still ain't buying your game though, bub.

Oct 26, 2017
these are the folks that say they try to keep politics off their games, right?
Not that it makes it any better (arguably worse) but there's no way they believe this bullshit, it was a shitty statement just so they don't rile up shitty internet communities.
Saying your game based on the Cyberpunk genre isn't political is like saying your game based on hentai isn't sexual.