• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Watch the E3 trailer for Cyberpunk 2077 — the role-playing game of the dark future from CD PROJEKT RED, creators of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Cyberpunk 2077 is a narrative-driven, open world RPG set in the most vibrant and dangerous metropolis of the future — Night City. You play as V, a hired gun on the rise, who just got their first serious contract. In a world of cyberenhanced street warriors, tech-savvy netrunners and corporate life-hackers, today is your first step to becoming an urban legend. Cyberpunk 2077 is set in the same universe as Mike Pondsmith's classic pen & paper RPG system, Cyberpunk 2020.

CD Projekt Red joined us on our E3 2018 stage to discuss Cyberpunk 2077's first-person gameplay, open world, character creation, and so much more.

IGN: E3 2018: First Cyberpunk 2077 Details: Game is a first person RPG, more.
CD Projekt RED's Cyberpunk 2077 is a first-person RPG. This news came during a behind closed doors E3 2018 presentation.

Here are some of the other details that are emerging from the presentation, which is currently still going on.
  • CD Projekt describes the game as a "first-person RPG."
  • Gameplay is in first a first-person perspective, but switched to third-person during a cutscene.
  • You play a character named V (as in the letter).
  • V can be a man or a woman.
  • The stats you pick at the start include Strength, Constitution, Intelligence, Reflexes, Tech, and Cool.
  • These stats are all pulled from the original tabletop RPG.
  • There are no classes at the start. Instead, you evolve the class you want to be as you play instead of picking a role.
  • Your apartment is a set place that fills with all of the clothes and weapons you get, though you don't have to go there to swap.
  • You'll be able to get more and different apartments throughout the game.
  • You can drive cars in the game, and seemingly toggle between first and third person during this.
  • While driving in first-person, the U.I. appears diegetically on the windshield.
  • You can engage in combat while driving -- AI took over steering as you lean out the window and shoot at enemies.
  • CD Projekt also described Cyberpunk as a "mature experience intended for mature audiences."
  • The goal is for you to not only engage with the game world, but with its inhabitants.
  • Like Witcher, you take missions from NPCs and have dialogue options in conversations.
  • It's an open world that you open up more with "street cred." For example, a specific jacket might raise it by 5%, allowing you access to new places.
  • Completing a quest levels up your street cred.
  • The UI in the demo is extremely minimal at -- just a light compass and a small quest log.
  • UI expands during combat -- enemies have names, health bars, and what appear to be levels.
  • Some enemies have question marks instead of levels, possibly meaning they're much higher level than you.
  • Damage numbers pop up during combat.
  • There's a bullet-time-like ability that allows you to slow down time.
  • CD Projekt keeps emphasizing that choices have consequences, in the moment and to the world at large.
  • Obstacles have several solutions depending on your skills. For example, V got to a door, but his hacking skill was too low. However, his engineering skill was high enough, so he could open a panel and bypass the door.
  • There's an inspection system lets you look super close at items and learn more about lore.
  • You use an inhaler to heal.
  • Gunplay feels slower than Doom or Borderlands, but faster than Fallout 4.
  • CD Projekt showed off some late-game abilities, including mantis-like blade arms and wall running.
  • We saw a boss fight against a dude in an exoskeleton. This included sliding under cars and taking cover.

This is a transcription from a part of the game's E3 2018 reveal that contains information about the game, including talk about the game featuring a character creation system:

Transcribed if anyones having a hard time reading it;
_________

It's been over 2077 days since we announced our plan to develop Cyberpunk 2077. We released a CGI trailer, gave some interviews and... went dark. Normal procedure for these kinds of things - you announce a game and then shut up, roll up your sleeves, and go to work. We wanted to give you The Witcher 3 and both expansions first, which is why this period of staying silent was longer than we planned. Sorry for that.

As soon as we concluded work on Blood and Wine we were able to go full speed ahead with CP2077's pre-production. But we chose to remain silent. Why? At some point, we made a decision to resume talking about the game only when we have something to show. Something meaningful and substantial. This is because we do realise you've been (im)patiently waiting for a very long time, and we wouldn't want anyone to feel that we're taking this for granted. On the contrary - it gives us a lot of extra motivation. The hype is real, so the sweat and tears need to be real, too :).

But to the point. Today is the day. If you're seeing this, it means you saw the trailer - our vision of Cyberpunk, an alternative version of the future where America is in pieces, megacorporations control all aspects of civilised life, and gangs rule the rest. And, while this world is full of adrenaline, don't let the car chases and guns mislead you. Cyberpunk 2077 is a true single player, story-driven RPG. You'll be able to create your own character and..., well, you'll get to know the rest from what we show at our booth at E3. Be on the lookout for previews!

Before we finish, you probably have some questions, right?

1. When? When we told you we would only release the game when it's ready, we meant it. We're definitely much, much closer to a release date than we were back then :), but it's still not the time to confirm anything, so patience is still required. Quality is the only thing that drives us - it's the beauty of being an independent studio and your own publisher.

2. How big? Seriously big, but..., to be honest, we have no bloody clue at this point in time. Once we put it all together, we will openly tell you what you can expect. And we promise we'll do this before we start talking about any pre-orders or ask anything of you.

3. Free DLC/Expansions/DRM? Expect nothing less than you got with The Witcher 3. As for DRM, CP2077 will be 100% DRM-free on PC.

4. Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?
Once again, thank you for your patience. If you have a minute, do visit cyberpunk.net and share your opinion (about anything) with us. We read everything you post and we treat it very seriously.

Yours, CD PROJEKT RED Team

The game is adapted from the Cyperpunk 2020 Tabletop Game written by Mike Pondsmith.

We're going to need a thread that explains this game's source material, as people are real ignorant on the fact that this game is using Cyberpunk IP, the TTRPG.

Cyberpunk 2020 is my favourite TTRPG ever, but people seem to be unaware that this isn't a new CDPR IP, it's based on an existing IP and the original creator is involved with the game. this guy, Mike Pondsmith. He created one of the most developed universes in the Cyberpunk genre, and CDPR has adapted it beautifully with the trailer (which looks like Night City) - we'll have to see how they adapted the mechanics, but aesthetically it is on point.

1uc1qus.jpg

You can start reading up on Cyberpunk (the IP) HERE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_2020

Mike Pondsmith's response to the reactions of the trailer about it being during the daytime:

For those who wish it was more rainy and dark and stuff: Five words: Day/night Cycle Weather Algorithms

ANYONE can make it dark and rainy and neony. We already knew we could do that. We wanted to prove that it can be the Dark Future ANY TIME OF DAY OR NIGHT.

Last edited:

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
It was.....entirely different from what I expected them to show. Will reserve judgement until we finally see some gameplay footage.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
That was the greatest thing I've seen in ages, holy shit.

And that music!!

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great set up, but I have to admit the game is alot ....brighter....and err daylightish....than I was expecting

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
I love.... I love everything about it.

Not give me gameplay footage. D:

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
This looks really cool, but Witcher 3 was boring af so I'll temper my excitement until we see actual gameplay.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Overall conference was........ I think I'm becoming a jaded older gamer.... nothing really excited me..

Except this. Holy shit this game looks amazing. Day 1.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
OMGGGGG

THA WAS THE MOST INSANE THING I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY GAMING LIFE!!!!

THE WORLD LOOKS SOOOO ALIVE AND....DETAILED!!!!!!! HOLY DAMN FFF!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.