• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Saying the Voodoo Boys are all stereotypical criminals after what I've read doesn't seem accurate.
They seem to be a gang who police the entire district, have strong cultural and religious ties and just sound awesome all round imo.
Although, until I see it for myself I can't say whether they've nailed it or not. But I like what I'm hearing, I want more of this shit.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The only black people of note shown so far are stereotypical criminals.

Even with apparently stereotypical take on Haitians I wouldn't call Voodoo Boys just stereotypical criminals. They are very, very into tech and help V to access Cyberspace that according dev isn't small feat and requires a lot trust between persons as access requires a lot help.

Overall I wouldn't rush to say that CP77 has POCs only as gangster and criminals, we just know and seen too little. I assume it wasn't you intention tho as your posts give vibe of "Lets see how they end up dealing with all of this in end product".

Can we expect to see that E3 demo after 2 months like last year? I hate to read description of such demo and try to imagine things.

Community manager said that this year they will release footage during PAX so Aug - Sep turn.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The only black people of note shown so far are stereotypical criminals.

I don't think anyone (or at least most) are making any final judgments. Just tough to be optimistic given CDPR's history. Both outside of games with their weird PR and social media stuff, and in games with The Witcher not really having any minorities at all. This is huge uncharted territory for CDPR. Hopefully they get it right.

edit: also, the small detail in the demo about how V makes fun of the Haitian accent still feels really weird and clunky to me.

What is stereotypical about Rick Ross crime boss? It's Cyberpunk, everyone is going to be a criminal in some way.

Yes it is🤘🏻

In the video Simo provided a few posts up, the guy in the video is Haitian and he is elated at how the Haitian culture & language was portrayed in the new demo.

I saw that and that's basically my level right now. Now, maybe they fuck it all up and produce some racist, stereotyping trash. But for now, I'm on the "WE IN THIS RIGHT NOW," phase. There's black people in the game, lots of them, not just a few. We actually in this. Now, go even further and throw in some Jamaicans that aren't stereotypes and the game will ascend to a whole other level for me.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018

From the replies, one of the guys in the video:

As the man says, inclusion is different than representation. It's GREAT to be included, but that doesn't mean that good representation magically follows. As many others have said, it would be nice to see more before making clear judgement calls, and we obviously won't have know what the game truly is until we actually... play it.

Orwell

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
The Witcher not really having any minorities at all.

I see this said a lot, but in all fairness to CDPR, The Witcher does have minorities. They exist within the context of the Witcher world, and all happen to be "white," yes, but they are still minorities and the story treats them as oppressed classes that are subject to strains of oppression which mirror what minorities in our world are subject to -- with the exception of being burned at the stake, of course.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
What is stereotypical about Rick Ross crime boss? It's Cyberpunk, everyone is going to be a criminal in some way.

I saw that and that's basically my level right now. Now, maybe they fuck it all up and produce some racist, stereotyping trash. But for now, I'm on the "WE IN THIS RIGHT NOW," phase. There's black people in the game, lots of them, not just a few. We actually in this. Now, go even further and throw in some Jamaicans that aren't stereotypes and the game will ascend to a whole other level for me.
So far, it's looking like Cyberpunk 2077 will be the new paradigm for inclusion of POC!!

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Well for a game releasing less than a year from now, they showed almost nothing tbh. They need to be more generous.

They want and can ride this gameplay material (video itself and buzz from it) easily to early September. Then they push it into public domain for month or two for more buzz which then leads to final leg of marketing with more nuts and bolts explanations of how stuff works (like they did with TW3), possible influencer access to record and publish new gameplay in early Spring (again, like they did with TW3) while ramping mass marketing campaign.

Just how I see it working out. They have 10 month arc here and I feel they can cover it nicely with posting plenty new stuff about game without going overboard.

I get that people are thirsty for new gameplay footage (I need it too asap <.<), but from marketing perspective I can see why they would want to stretch stuff out.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I wish that someone during an interview would ask the devs about the sound design - for example, the Xbox One X supports 7.1 Dolby Atmos and I would like to know if they plan on using that for CP2077.

Also I'd like more information about the music in the game - like whether or not they'll be different stations with different genres of music and are they licensing tracks from popular Synthwave artists for the game.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Also I'd like more information about the music in the game - like whether or not they'll be different stations with different genres of music and are they licensing tracks from popular Synthwave artists for the game.

Licensing is always tricky. When they ran out you have to remove licensed content from your game. Didn't this happen to some GTA game not that long ago?

Oct 25, 2017
From the replies, one of the guys in the video:

As the man says, inclusion is different than representation. It's GREAT to be included, but that doesn't mean that good representation magically follows. As many others have said, it would be nice to see more before making clear judgement calls, and we obviously won't have know what the game truly is until we actually... play it.

Yeah, I understand that.
I was hyped af seeing Barkhad Abdi in BladeRunner 2049, even though he had less than two minutes of screen-time it's really something when you see someone of your ethnicity speaking your language and just being cool in that moment in time.

Though in this case, it remains to be seen how well the Haitians have been represented, knowing that your people are being included in a seemingly respectable way is great regardless. I say seemingly because I don't know how far this goes, I just hope they nail it.
I want more minority representation, even if there are missteps. I want them to keep pushing.
For real though, Placide looks dope af in the screenshots, I wonder if I can make V look anything like him.

Don't know if I articulated my point well as I'm busy, but I'm just glad to see them is all, especially in an awesome setting like this.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Even with apparently stereotypical take on Haitians I wouldn't call Voodoo Boys just stereotypical criminals. They are very, very into tech and help V to access Cyberspace that according dev isn't small feat and requires a lot trust between persons as access requires a lot help.

Overall I wouldn't rush to say that CP77 has POCs only as gangster and criminals, we just know and seen too little. I assume it wasn't you intention tho as your posts give vibe of "Lets see how they end up dealing with all of this in end product".
Well stereotypical in the sense that they're minority criminals operating in the rundown section of a major city. And what's further off-putting is that in the source material The Voodoo Boys aren't all black. Yet in 2077, by all accounts of the demo shown, they're now 100% black. Just seems like an odd change. And then I think of how the corpo agent last year was a white woman, or how in this demo the NetWatch cop was also white. He tells V how the Voodoo Boys are just merciless criminals and will betray him. And it turns out he's right.

But you're absolutely right. In an open-world game with probably dozens of important characters, we've seen barely anything at all. I'm not making any real judgments until I've played this through, just feeling a little uneasy.

The bolded is fair, but I think there's shades to that. Like law enforcement, the corporations, the NetWatch agent in the newest demo, etc. I just hope that minorities aren't all relegated to street level criminals.

Also hoping that not every gang or faction is racially one-note, like all black or white or asian. I'm assuming that won't be the case, but that's all that's been shown so far.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I wish that someone during an interview would ask the devs about the sound design - for example, the Xbox One X supports 7.1 Dolby Atmos and I would like to know if they plan on using that for CP2077.

Waypoint said they saw an M83 track in the in game radio, not a specific name but would be surprised if it wasn't this one.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Well stereotypical in the sense that they're minority criminals operating in the rundown section of a major city. And what's further off-putting is that in the source material The Voodoo Boys aren't all black. Yet in 2077, by all accounts of the demo shown, they're now 100% black. Just seems like an odd change. And then I think of how the corpo agent last year was a white woman, or how in this demo the NetWatch cop was also white. He tells V how the Voodoo Boys are just merciless criminals and will betray him. And it turns out he's right.

Or were Voodoo Boys just covering their own ass and wanting to eliminate NetWatch from digging into their doings? V was acceptable casualty for this. So in a sense they did betray V, but they were looking after their own interests. I also wonder if we avoid that situation and resolve it in other way, in a way that doesn't result in them triggering brain melt.

Corpos come from many backgrounds and ethnicities. In reveal trailer from last year we see corpo in red dress, she is Asian. Most likely has ties to Arasaka corporation. We also know that there is gangs that are just white people and, judging from reveal trailer, some are even stereotyped(?) Russians.

On why Boys are now actually Haitians and black it seems like CDPR made aware decision to move them into this direction. To better include Haitian culture, religion, language, ways of dressing etc. This from that Pondsmith interview few posts up.

At the end I think this game will result in many feeling uneasy, offended and/or appalled. Game will tackle politics, religions, minorities, transhumanism...

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
As far as collaborations go, i hope we get Lorn :)

edit: i removed my song i wished were in there (Acid Rain), since Yong Yea's interview had for answer that all songs are original songs made for the game specifically.

Last edited:

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I understand that.
I was hyped af seeing Barkhad Abdi in BladeRunner 2049, even though he had less than two minutes of screen-time it's really something when you see someone of your ethnicity speaking your language and just being cool in that moment in time.
I also loved his appearance. And despite the short screen time, I love how that scene played out in regards to how he communicated with Ryan Gosling's character (and it's part of why I'm uneasy / confused about certain aspects of 2077). Abdi's character speaks nothing like Gosling in a completely different language. Yet the two understand each other perfectly. Abdi flies through his dialogue without hesitation and Gosling fully absorbs everything Abdi's character says. And neither of them draws any attention to the language difference nor do they make any reference to it. I think it resulted in a slick bit of world building that communicated a lot about the setting of LA and how 2049 was basically continuing the original movie's theme of LA being a "melting pot" of different cultures.

In 2077, I've seen multiple multiple recaps of this newest demo refer to the Haitian Creole accent being subtitled phonetically. And one of V's responses to a member of the Voodoo Boys is like a sarcastic reference to their heavy accent (the Voodoo Boys pronounces they as "dey" and V responds with the same pronunciation). Why does this accent stand out so much to V? Are The Voodoo Boys or people like them that alien to Night City? Enough for V to comment on i? It's just...weird.

All this analysis about a tiny moment in the demo probably looks a little crazy, but I do think small details like this can make or break a setting as far as world building.

Oct 25, 2017
I also loved his appearance. And despite the short screen time, I love how that scene played out in regards to how he communicated with Ryan Gosling's character (and it's part of why I'm uneasy / confused about certain aspects of 2077). Abdi's character speaks nothing like Gosling in a completely different language. Yet the two understand each other perfectly. Abdi flies through his dialogue without hesitation and Gosling fully absorbs everything Abdi's character says. And neither of them draws any attention to the language difference nor do they make any reference to it. I think it resulted in a slick bit of world building that communicated a lot about the setting of LA and how 2049 was basically continuing the original movie's theme of LA being a "melting pot" of different cultures.

In 2077, I've seen multiple multiple recaps of this newest demo refer to the Haitian Creole accent being subtitled phonetically. And one of V's responses to a member of the Voodoo Boys is like a sarcastic reference to their heavy accent (the Voodoo Boys pronounces they as "dey" and V responds with the same pronunciation). Why does this accent stand out so much to V? Are The Voodoo Boys or people like them that alien to Night City? Enough for V to comment on i? It's just...weird.

All this analysis about a tiny moment in the demo probably looks a little crazy, but I do think small details like this can make or break a setting as far as world building.
Agreed about Abdi's performance in that scene.
Also agree that subtitling the Haitians phonetically is just weird, and I don't think I'm going to like V mimicking that. The whole 'dey' thing is just weird and can come off really badly. Guess we'll see for sure in August.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The phonetically spelled creole isn't exactly out of the ordinary. I'm 100% no expert on this but my reading is that it's similar to how Pidgin is usually represented in text like in this article: https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/tori-42750623
Or these Scottish Twitter posts: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/O7AXn

These are both examples where the peoples of the culture themselves embraced a phonetic spelling. I'm not sure if it's the same for Haitian Creole, but so far from what I've seen online from those that say they are Haitian they say they're at least willing to see how it goes.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The phonetically spelled creole isn't exactly out of the ordinary. I'm 100% no expert on this but my reading is that it's similar to how Pidgin is usually represented in text like in this article: https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/tori-42750623

These are both examples where the peoples of the culture themselves embraced a phonetic spelling. I'm not sure if it's the same for Haitian Creole, but so far from what I've seen online from those that say they are Haitian they say they're at least willing to see how it goes.

many Jamaicans also write in Patois when commenting on youtube videos for example...completely normal. how would you represent jamaican patois in a videogame? you write it out phonetically...

in this game there are Haitians that speak creole, why should it be written in english? would make no sense at all...

Oct 25, 2017

If this is the case then I'll be fine with it, I suppose. I am ignorant to a lot of this after all.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
in this game there are Haitians that speak creole, why should it be written in english? would make no sense at all...

French creole (kreyol ;) ) is also mostly phonetically written, pòmdetè for "pomme de terre" (potato), i just love Creole, mine and other patois :) (didn't know it was written "patois" in english as well for these dialects)

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia

In one interview Pavel Sasko said that all the music on radio stations in the game is original made for the game

Oct 25, 2017

These are dope af.
D89qq1mXsAA9yfo.jpg:orig

Placide's my favourite character design in the game so far.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia

But you're absolutely right. In an open-world game with probably dozens of important characters, we've seen barely anything at all. I'm not making any real judgments until I've played this through, just feeling a little uneasy.

The bolded is fair, but I think there's shades to that. Like law enforcement, the corporations, the NetWatch agent in the newest demo, etc. I just hope that minorities aren't all relegated to street level criminals.

Also hoping that not every gang or faction is racially one-note, like all black or white or asian. I'm assuming that won't be the case, but that's all that's been shown so far.

The Voodoo boys aren't 100 % black in the game, there are whites and other races in that gang.. and really, only black characters that were showned are criminals ? Hmmmm, I beg to differ
D84h2RgWwAAxso6.jpg:large

cyberpunk-2077-poslal-z-e3-nie-image-542.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-2_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNJjoeBT78QIaYdkJdEY4CnGTJFJS74MYhNY6w3GNbO8.jpeg

cyberpunk2077-just_in_time_for_dinner-rgb-en.jpeg

D89qq2SXUAAmVMq.jpg

We don't know what their characters and occupations are in the game, but these people don't see to me atleast as criminals and I'm pretty sure that younger woman is even helping you in the game to go to the "cyberworld"

Last edited:
OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Waypoint said they saw an M83 track in the in game radio, not a specific name but would be surprised if it wasn't this one.

I knew it!

In the YongYea interview, Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz says "All the music tracks were done strictly for us".

I'm calling it now - expect to see most of, if not all of the following artists on the Cyberpunk 2077 soundtrack:

• Lazerhawk
• Gunship
• Carpenter Brut
• Perturbator
• Mitch Murder
• Robert Parker
• Miami Nights 1984
• Dance With The Dead [Totentanz ;)]
• Kavinsky
• Dynatron
• Power Glove
• Com Truise
• The Neon Droid
• Scandroid
• FM Attack
• Occams Laser
• Le Matos
• Turbo Knight
• Chvrches
• Waveshaper
• Droid Bishop

If they're going to go all out, imagine if they got Vangelis and John Carpenter to make some tracks for this game?!?

I fucking knew it and that gets me extremely excited for the radio in Cyberpunk 2077!

Nov 1, 2017
Considering the nature of the game I think it's safe to say that we'll see various peoples of all religions, creeds, beliefs to be good, bad and everything in between. Like everything we'll get a variety of people that have their own train of thought and wants and that'll help impact the things we do and see.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
The Voodoo boys aren't 100 % black in the game, there are whites and other races in that gang
I'm basing this off of all the recaps I've read / heard of the demo. I've only seen them described as black or Haitian.

And while those characters (especially the male) look bad ass, that's just surface level stuff. I'm hoping for some minority characters that go beyond the streets. That hint at the higher powers of Night City (like the Netwatch Agent this year or the corporate woman from last year).

Trust me, I hope I'm 1000% wrong on all this. I want to love this game. But all I can go off of right now is what they've shown so far and CDPR's spotty history.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
The environment in the background and the time of day make it look like something out of Blade Runner or Blade Runner 2049.
I think Perturbator already confirmed he was not contributing music to the game.
Right Perturbator, we believe you ;)

The fact that they managed to keep Keanu Reeves a secret for over a year means that anyone involved in this production isn't just going to come out and say that they're working on it.

We shall see if Perurbator is on there or not soon enough. I would imagine that they'll have a soundtrack expose sometime in the near future before release showing us all of the artists creating original songs for Cyberpunk 2077.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
The Voodoo boys aren't 100 % black in the game, there are whites and other races in that gang.. and really, only black characters that were showned are criminals ? Hmmmm, I beg to differ
D84h2RgWwAAxso6.jpg:large

cyberpunk-2077-poslal-z-e3-nie-image-542.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-2_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNJjoeBT78QIaYdkJdEY4CnGTJFJS74MYhNY6w3GNbO8.jpeg

cyberpunk2077-just_in_time_for_dinner-rgb-en.jpeg

D89qq2SXUAAmVMq.jpg

We don't know what their characters and occupations are in the game, but these people don't see to me atleast as criminals and I'm pretty sure that younger woman is even helping you in the game to go to the "cyberworld"
Aren't 3 of the 5 characters in those screens members of the Voodoo Boys (Brigette, Placide, unnamed guy in last pic)?

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Thanks for the link to the interview with Mike by YongYea. Superinteresting!
You are very welcome!

Actually, his interview with Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz is even better and the best Cyberpunk 2077 interview I've seen yet. He asks a lot of pertinent questions instead of the usual fluff and drooling over Keanu Reeves that most interviewers are wasting time with.