• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It appears the Cyberpunk thirst is real.
Both companies, Rockstar and CD Projekt, have released their debut reveal gameplay trailers this month.
Both are beautiful and well worth watching.

Cyberpunk 2077

RDR2

Congrats both companies and CDP in particular.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty crazy how quickly CDPR made a name for themselves. The Witcher 3 was insane for them.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Both trailers were mind-blowing. I think people know what to expect with RDR2 whereas Cyberpunk was more of an unknown - nobody knew even remotely what to expect from it so they flocked to the reveal.

RDR2 many know roughly what to expect so are on blackout.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
RDR2 is almost a known quantity in terms of how it's gonna play, while with Cyberpunk we had no real idea about anything before the demo. But yes, it's undeniable that CD project has a potential massive hit in their hands, so very happy for them.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is almost a known quantity in terms of how it's gonna play, while with Cyberpunk we had no real idea about anything before the demo. But yes, it's undeniable that CD project has a potential massive hit in their hands, so very happy for them.

Probably this: Cyberpunk was unknown besides some (rather hyperbolic) reports from E3 making it as if this is a game that will only be possible in a decade or something. The Witcher 3's status, the long-lasting hype cycle (based on nothing) of the game... make for a situation where a gameplay reveal was really going to be something absolutely insane. RDR2, as interesting as it may be in trailer form, is something most people already know whether they'd buy or not, its gameplay is relatively predictable content-wise and style-wise, and it had trailers and more info than Cyberpunk this past year. But still, incredible stuff for CD Projekt: for now, at least, it seems to be one of the biggest games on the planet, and it's going to release years away. Congrats!

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Wild.

Gotta say as hyped as I am for Red Dead, Cyberpunk is on another level for me.

Cyberpunk 2077=The Last of Us 2
Red Dead Redemption=Halo Ininite

Personal hype levels.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
Take away the lack of PC interest in RDR2 and it could also be the setting. Not everyone likes the wild west, just like not everyone likes Sci Fi but I bet there are a lot of people very interested in the Cyberpunk setting. I know if I had the choice of one or the other I would've chosen Cyberpunk even before the trailers. Been anticipating CDPRs next game for a long time.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it delivered (in that footage at least) but a very stereotypical cyberpunk world that is actually large, vertical, explorable, etc. is something most people want and have still have not received. Not surprising there would be more excitement for it.

OP
OP
Paul

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is this so surprising? Cyberpunk was the hottest thing coming out of E3 and CDPR are now a company you buy games based on their name alone (similar to Naughty Dog and Rockstar).
I don't find it particularly surprising, but I do find it impressive, having in mind CDP's mortyr-driven Witcher 1 beginnings. It's cool that a company that does drm-free, free updates, zero microtransactions etc can command such blockbuster success.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm buying RDR2 and yet I haven't watched the entirety of the gameplay video.

Meanwhile Cyberpunk is still 2 years away at best, and I've watched the video 3 times already.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Both are top class of the industry.

I do think CD Projekt Red is the better developer though. They push the boundaries, where as Rockstar usually lays down the standards. Whatever the case, I am happy that westerns and sci-fi isn't dead, and it's two great devs assuring these genres as relevant still.

Nov 2, 2017
All thanks to the greatest video game character ever created: Dum Dum. RIP to the honest businessman.

dlum3evxoaaumhr58f0k.jpg

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
I bet Cyberpunk will be a multi gen title and if it's a launch title for next gen then who ever Launceston first will get a massive head start.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Turns out first person profanity is the secret sauce of gaming.

Last edited:

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I guess showing off your game more helps. We've seen more of Cyberpunk 2077 than we have of RDR2. Yet RDR2's the one that's out in less than two months.