• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is pussy used in a gender-charged manner or a animal-charged manner?

• Pussy means vagina, therefore "woman," belittling the gender

Votes: 39 22.5%
  • Pussy is a shortened version of "Scaredy Cat"

Votes: 134 77.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Huge disparity in the main demo thread about the language used in the game. Please bring all that language discussion here.

Oct 25, 2017
The setting, like The Witcher, is a harsh place where people treat each other poorly, and that includes language. I think if you're aware and ready when entering the game, you'll handle it fine.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Don't think it's an issue. The medium should have a wide and diverse range of products across the spectrum. How many can you say are as "far" as this? Not many.

Nothing to complain about imo.

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
It's a video game in a shitty, dark, scummy setting. Of course there's gonna be bad language. Get over it if you don't like it

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
You have every right to be offended, just don't be a cunt about it.

As a Brit I can never understand how people get so up in arms about the word.

Saying cunt is like saying mate over here.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The setting, like The Witcher, is a harsh place where people treat each other poorly, and that includes language. I think if you're aware and ready when entering the game, you'll handle it fine.

Yep, context is everything, and the world of Cyberpunk is already established to a pretty fucked up one.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Calling someone a pussy is always sexist. Pussy refers to a woman's body part. A man is supposed to be strong. A man being a pussy is a man not being strong. So with that, women aren't strong.

edit: and you don't really see women get called pussies.

I wouldn't say keep it out of the game, though. There's going to be shit people in this game, doing and saying shit things.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Don't think it's an issue. The medium should have a wide and diverse range of products across the spectrum. How many can you say are as "far" as this? Not many.

Nothing to complain about imo.
Yeah.

The whole point of the cyberpunk genre is that its a shitty and dystopian society, that includes sexism.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017

It's also set in America where cunt isn't a normal insult so...if we're doing the immersive excuse it still is stupid. (Granted I had no issue with the times pussy came up. When cunt did I did a double take).

OP
OP
spad3

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California

This and I'd like to add that if you don't like what the devs had to offer, don't play it. simple as that. The rest of us will enjoy their beautiful creation.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God that poll. Why in the world wouldn't you have a third option that both meanings are valid and true and is why some people are bothered by the word and others aren't?

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I dont get the language criticism. It's cyberpunk. High tech, low life. Of course, the society on that harsh world, especially on street level, won't be polite to you.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really so surprising that people would be put off hearing the main character say the c word in such a casual manner? I would never say that CDPR should compromise their vision for a harsh future dystopian game world but I understand people being disappointed. I think the bigger issue for me is that it the dialogue is pretty terrible in a general and the use of profanity seems like a lazy way to add grit and edge.

BUT I'm still incredibly interested in the game itself and thought what they showed in that demo was super promising.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Why make another thread to splinter the discussion

Essentially "Pls stop ruining my hype train and only talk about how amazing the game looks."

I feel like language in video games itself deserves another thread, it's pretty much encompassed the other thread, with posts actually talking about the language, and then other posts asking why are people talking about language, and then other posts saying people are still talking about this?

Another thread about it could encompass games as a whole, and not be limited to Cyberpunk.

That's why I feel like it deserves another thread, not because "muh hype train".

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Aussie mates always use the word cunt as a term of endearment. Being called a sick cunt after i actually do something useful on rocket league is one of the best feelings ever xD

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
I want more options in the poll.

And look, this is coming from a Deadwood fan but... harsh settings with hard characters will rightfully have harsh, hard language. That's part of world building.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty clear this thread was made in bad faith by an OP who doesn't want his precious hype thread sullied by any meaningful conversations. And I say this as a huge CDPR fan.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
You have every right to be offended, just don't be a cunt about it.

As a Brit I can never understand how people get so up in arms about the word.

Saying cunt is like saying mate over here.
Makes me wonder how people complaining about the language used would last in the UK

Personally don't see an issue. Kinda fits with the theme off the game and don't think it's too far at all. just let the Devs make the game they wanna make. The Witcher 3 wasn't exactly perfect with the language used either and I don't think anyone complained about that.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
It's 60 years in the future, maybe things changed.

I doubt it and it's supposed to be a homage to cyberpunk where I doubt cunt is used with any regularity anyway. Like there's plenty of words to use that aren't cunt that get the same point across without completely ignoring the region the game's supposed to take place in.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
What's with all the thread whining?

The other thread was becoming somewhat dominated by a single discussion, makes sense to split it off into a new thread so other things can be discussed in the old one.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
I mean I'm not going to say that media needs to remove all offensive language but "pussy" clearly refers to a vagina. No one means "pussy cat" when they use it as an insult.

Status
Not open for further replies.