• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I was dwelling on this point last night before falling asleep but the other angle people often don't consider is that on top of consumers watching how these companies react to these incidents, employees do to. There are undoubtedly employees at or who work with CDPR all the way from development capacities to distribution and publishing to simple building/office maintenance who are themselves or who have loved ones who are LGBTQ+. Some who are out and some who are still in the closet and simply trying to get by. What happens to their trust in the people they work with and under when the concerns of LGBTQ+ customers are either ignored or simply placated? What happens when these companies allow a working community to where inclusivity is treated so flippantly? Beyond just consumers, employees are allowed to ask for more from these companies in relation to being openly progressive and inclusive. Like has been said multiple times, the industry isn't absent of "politics". People work at these companies who have concerns beyond just the financial and deal with the same transphobia, homophobia, sexism, racism and general bigotry that marginalized people outside of their workplace deal with. This is why this shit is important and has nothing to do with just "seeking attention" or "being outraged". Marginalized people don't like being angry, or outraged or "seeing bigotry everywhere". It is just a testament to the reality that we live in that these problems ARE everywhere and aren't being treated as seriously as they should be. Topics like this pop up again and again because this nonsense is ubiquitous and insidious and too many people like to live in bliss calling them absurd when they're exactly what needs to start changing for the sake of bigger things changing.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
You may find that this will come up over, and over, and over. Writers, musicians, actors. Therefore, learning to handle this kind of internal conflict is an important life skill.

And it will manifet past media consumption. You'll have to work with someone or put up with someone who part of you may feel should not be associated with at all.

It's difficult enough without taking hardline stances one way or the other. Whether to play the game or not. It's just not like that. If you choose not to play the game, you will feel like you have sacrificed; It's not as if the game never existed. And if you choose to play the game, these issues will not cease to exist and they will affect your enjoyment and perception of the game. There's no way to unmix it now. And that's how this sort of thing goes.

solidsnakeiv

Dec 28, 2017
I'm looking forward to the game. It seems like a very interesting setting, and I thoroughly enjoyed The Witcher 3. I do hope for just representation for all races and genders, so we can all just be able to sit back and enjoy it.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Game looks too dope not to skip. It would be nice if devs acknowledged people's concerns. If it was something I wasn't happy with I know I would be pissed. But I wouldn't get mad if other people still supported the game.

I think it's possible to show emphsthy and still enjoy the game.

Ombra

Jan 22, 2018
I lol'd at them choosing a generic white dude as the face of the game thats originally created by a black man and having said basic white dude go into a room and murk a bunch of black people .
I didn't notice till you pointed it out. I understand why they did that. Same reason why it was important to keep the witcher 3 a paradise and safe space for that same target audience.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
As publishers, developers, and studios become more socially involved and their stances more open to the public this is something that you'll have to decide on your own. Are some things worse than others, sure. I for one feel Persona 5's representation of gay characters is atrocious. Yet it remains a ResetEra darling of a game. It's up to you how spend your time and money. I certainly won't judge anyone.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I actually think the latest thing with trans person on a poster wasn't anti-LGBT and it suits the Cyberpunk universe. We also know there will be homosexual romance options. I doubt they will handle everything perfectly but I don't think it will be awful. We'll see.

Also I don't agree with the "tired understanding of cyberpunk" argument. It's exactly like the world Pondsmith has created. I doubt he would let them change much - and if they wanted to do something different than the world of Cyberpunk 2020, they wouldn't even bother with getting this specific license...

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Just noticed them pop up in the Gaga thread, then you realise almost their entire post history for the past few months is Cyberpunk 2077.
They seems to be pretty level headed, why bump the thread?
I'm extremely disappointed that CDPR is handling LGBT issues exactly how I imagined they would
Not entirely shocked though since they never fired all the alt-right pr people, just the one.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
They seems to be pretty level headed, why bump the thread?
Posts aren't a finite resource, it's an ongoing topic in general and it appearing on the front page for a minute before disappearing didn't cause disruption.

I'm interested in this particular juncture we have with trans/nb concerns, CDP, The Witcher 3 being what it was (great to many) and now Cyberpunk so engage in these topics. Sometimes on a more casual level than direct debate.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Posts aren't a finite resource, it's an ongoing topic in general and it appearing on the front page for a minute before disappearing didn't cause disruption.

I'm interested in this particular juncture we have with trans/nb concerns, CDP, The Witcher 3 being what it was (great to many) and now Cyberpunk so engage in these topics. Sometimes on a more casual level than direct debate.
Yes but this community isn't big, most of these threads go exactly the same with the same people arguing the same things. I know this because I have been here too. I just don't understand your original post.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
Yes but this community isn't big, most of these threads go exactly the same with the same people arguing the same things. I know this because I have been here too. I just don't understand your original post.
You picked one post and it just so happened to be one of the few that wasn't telling LGBT people they're wrong or overreacting

Status
Not open for further replies.