• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember who said it way back in the thread, but now I can't unsee the 'setup' the game clearly has (albeit how intentionally) for Cyberpunk-online multiplayer with MTX and the like..

Your contracts come from telephone calls so you don't have to go out of your way to pick them up, the errand/question mark on the map type-quests are all theoretically easily repeatable, and the narrative even supports it with multiple guns-for-hire living in Night city.

I guess Witcher 3 had some of this same theoretical setup too, but I feel like the cut corners have been kinda-sorta filed away at the narrative aspect of the pillar that propped up weaker parts of the Witcher 3, in order to get us to where we are here.

(that, and the systems that CDPR implement here don't work as well in a future-tech world - the cost for crafting a blue piece of gear, for some reason, requires purple upgrade/crafting mats...like, wtf?)

what about the writing and animation ? I thought it is amazing

The 'key' NPC face animations are great - the writing is hit-or-miss, especially in the beginning of the game.

Once the 'stakes are raised', it gets (somewhat) better in terms of the big quests and such.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
How are people liking this that have a 2080Ti? I've been YouTubing vids and it looks promising if you lower some settings with DLSS.
My settings for 1440p, 3900x and 2080ti.
I'm around 50-60fps with a 60fps limit in place.
WYJikCq.png

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried full screen vs borderless window? Or try to change the res ingame, switch back and forth. Or just go below 1080p native to see if that would make a difference. If e.g. 540p native doesn't increase your fps, 1080p dlss wouldn't .

I have yes, done both Full Screen and Borderless Windowed.

I have just enabled on the Nvidia settings DSR at 1.78 so i can do 1440p, enabled it in the game, set DLSS to the multiple types, and off and there was virtually 0 difference.

Again, DLSS on Ultra Performance is degrading the image to the point where it's unplayable so it's definitely doing something but even that mode doesn't give me more framerate.

CPU seems to hang around 30-40% most of the time actually

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Think I'm taking a break until the next patch. The PS5 crashes are frequent enough that I'm basically just waiting for the next one to happen. It seems common enough that it's probably a priority issue for the next one. I hope the devs are getting some rest but that seems unlikely.

If you think this will be solved with the next patch you are in for a disappointment. the game is a pile of trash on consoles, it is basically a broken early access version. they will have so much work to do, that it just can´t be solved with one, two or three more patches.

pro tip: if you can, sell the game off, buy a used copy in a year when maybe the next gen version is released and good.

I wonder if it's possible to get a refund for this game from Sony. I've never tried that before.

You have definitely one refund free as "gesture of goodwill", at least in europe. and they gave many people the money back when No Mans Sky released but stopped that after a few days because too many people tried to get their money back.

Crowh

Nov 20, 2017
Having a great time, amazing game so far, only thing is that it seems there is some memory leak going on, like your fps get a lot worse over time and you need to restart the game to fix this.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really like it when Johnny shows up in the side gigs. I thought he'd be a main story only thing but pleasantly surprised to find him more involved than I thought.

I got it!

My new favourite car!

Nice! I'm looking forward to getting it too, where does it come from? So far only the Avenger is one I can buy that's close to this :<

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any mods later on to add things to improve driving, like HUD upgrades such as adding the map marker to the road in front of you?

I have to say, it's really refreshing not to have a dozen OTs for a new massive game dominate the forum.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Having a great time, amazing game so far, only thing is that it seems there is some memory leak going on, like your fps get a lot worse over time and you need to restart the game to fix this.
I've noticed unexplainable drops but when I save and exit out and load again it goes away.

Wonder if this is why consoles crash so much.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
I was wondering if someone could help me.

I am using the following setup and i am on the latest Nvidia driver:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3700x
GPU: RTX 3080
Ram: 32GB 3600Mhz

DLSS doesn't seem to do a single thing for me, i am playing at 1080p and i know that DLSS works because there are plenty of videos showing it working for all resolutions.

It doesn't matter what DLSS preset i choose, my framerate has 0 change.

your CPU constrained.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Regarding the complaints about traffic and NPC AI - is this something that can even be fixed? Has a developer ever tried and successfully reworked their AI systems following a game's launch?

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I watched the DF video on the PS4 version, straight up average PS3 levels of game performance there, To be honest my experience of Watch Dogs Legion on Xbox One S was pretty similar (low res, choppy frame rate, massive texture pop in and frequent crashes). I feel this kind of performance on base consoles is going to become more common as we get further in to the new generation unfortunately.

I'm 15 hours in now on Series X and my experience has generally been great, I've had a few bugs but no huge ones, It's a smoother experience than your average Bioware and Bethesda RPG for me.

What is going on with pedestrian density on consoles???

Does only V live in Night City?

I think the NPC count must definitely be pushed up for the Series X version. It's generally decent in my experience, It varies from area to area but it's never felt empty.

I think the considering the game is a last gen game it generally looks good on series X, especially indoors.

vpVFuOP.jpg

PIHb2qH.jpg

There are parts outdoors that sometimes look very blurry though, some of the advertisements and vending machines for example. It seems like the game just shouldn't be played on last gen consoles but the next gen ones run it closer to how it's supposed to run, excited to see what the next gen optimised version is like, Although I expect that to be quite the wait.

The gameplay itself.. I'm having a blast. I was enjoying it well enough for the first chapter, but when you hit chapter 2 it really cranks it up and opens up, almost to an overwhelming level with people calling and texting you offering you work and side activities

There's a ton of gameplay problems and jank in it though.
If a gang get's in to a fire fight with you in an open area and a civilian gets caught in the crossfire then the police will show up and just come after you, ignoring the gangs shooting up the street, That's pretty common in these types of games but I just did a side quest that felt like it was set up for that to happen.

Enemy AI is pretty dumb and a little bullet spongy at times for my liking.

I don't mind too much, and it's the same in Witcher 3, but the lack of consequences for stealing is pretty ridiculous. I went in to Lizzies bar, had a conversation with the woman who runs it then casually emptied her safe right in front of her taking a few hundred Eurodollars without her batting an eyelid.

I don't need Yakuza levels of minigames but I'd be cool if there were a few more things to do besides the quests, side quests, jobs, fights and racing. There's arcade machines all over the place, It would be sweet if you could play them. You can go in to a bar and have a conversation with the barmaid (pictured above) but if you go to order a drink it just abruptly cuts to the shop menu to buy drink items. This kind of game would be so much better if you could drink, dance, etc to interact with the world more.

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
Runs smoothly on PC (2070s, 3700x) on high settings, medium RTX, DLSS. No issues. My wife has put in 26 hours since launch, so I guess she loves it. I got aboutone hours play before surrendering the controller.

At first, it was seriously overwhelming. So much neon, clouds, clutter, stuff to see everywhere. It literally overkilled our eyes.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I read through some of the Reddit comments. This one got me, and if it is true (seems it is), it's so disappointing.

• No NPC Day/Night cycle. NPCs spawn and despawn outside of the player's view.
  • If an NPC is doing an action, they will do that action forever until the player moves.
  • NPCs that are not story/side quest related have one dialog reply.
  • If one NPC is assaulted, every other NPC in a large circle around the player will crouch to the floor in the same animation, even if they did not see the original assault.
  • NPCs in a car will follow a specific route. If the route is even slightly interupted, for example by your car, they will cease to move forever until you remove the obstruction.
  • NPCs in a car will not attempt to move or exit their vehicle if you assault them with bullets/another vehicle.
  • NPCs will not acknowledge the player if they run the player over with their car.
  • NPCs will not attempt to steal their vehicle back if you steal it from them.
  • NPCs will not attack you or defend themselves in any way or form, even if engaged upon with just fists.
  • Police spawn around the player's vision when the player is wanted, forever, until they attempt to hide or drive away.
  • Police to not attempt to question, warn, or arrest the player for even the smallest crime commited, for example if you bump into them or accidently enter a private area.
  • Police are incapable of driving cars and chasing the player if they drive away.
  • Police will not attack hostile targets like Gangs if they are not already doing so in an activity.
  • Police will know if the player has attacked an NPC in the middle of the badlands and spawn next to the player, without vehicles.
  • NPCs will rarely thank or acknowledge the player if they are helped by the player.
  • Scripted NPCs that have dialog will say their dialog then proceed to stand there forever. They will also repeat the same dialog if the player leaves the area and visits again later.
No interactivity with pretty much anything as well. Can't sit down to have a bite to eat from street vendors. Can't go into most doors, can't play arcades. No mini games, no unique events (not quests) or interesting NPC AI. I guess this is more Metro Exodus with some Deus Ex mixed in vs what a lot of folks were hoping.

I am going to still keep my Best Buy physical copy since it came with a steelbook and wound up being about $40 for me, but with a 1080Ti I am going to wait for a few more optimization patches. Although I am kind of tempted to return it (haven't opened it).

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
I said it 50 pages ago, but I really think that if every person here didn't look at reddit, era, anything, you'd enjoy the game a lot more. That isn't to say there are not very fair critisms of the game (no driving AI? Come on!), but I think critic reviews are so high (still 90/100 MC) because of them all playing it early. If one starts reading all the very niche, specific, enthusiast negative takes one starts leting that deep into enjoyment.

Anecdotally, but the vast majority of my friends are loving the game. From base PS4 to high end PCs. They just don't know what they are missing by playing it on the base PS4. Does not excuse the shit show that it is truly is, but honestly people don't care that much widely.
My playthrough is fucked because of a bug where V can't reload any weapon. I guess I should have just ignored ERA, close my eyes and dream of this amazing game.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
The marketing of this game was all wrong.

This should have been marketed as a linear style action adventure with open world elements ala tlou2.

Then people's expectations would have been set up properly.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I5 9600k and a rtx 2080

1440p runs around 70 / 80 FPS for last 8 hours, dlss quality mode

I kind of don't believe you as that isn't the typical performance at all for a 2080 in reviews/performance analysis/forum posts anywhere.

Psycho RT and completely maxed a 3080 is doing like 65-70 average.

Ultra RTX will do 70-80s pretty typically.

You either have settings turned down or you aren't noticing lots of segments with lower fps bring the average down.

Patch seems to have stablilzed the drops a bit but there are still plenty of drops driving around.

Nothing wrong with turning stuff down for frames though.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
I have yes, done both Full Screen and Borderless Windowed.

I have just enabled on the Nvidia settings DSR at 1.78 so i can do 1440p, enabled it in the game, set DLSS to the multiple types, and off and there was virtually 0 difference.

Again, DLSS on Ultra Performance is degrading the image to the point where it's unplayable so it's definitely doing something but even that mode doesn't give me more framerate.

CPU seems to hang around 30-40% most of the time actually
I don't know what you can do, maybe reinstall the game? Can't you play 1080 native? Should be not too bad in terms of fps.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read through some of the Reddit comments. This one got me, and if it is true (seems it is), it's so disappointing.

• No NPC Day/Night cycle. NPCs spawn and despawn outside of the player's view.
  • If an NPC is doing an action, they will do that action forever until the player moves.
  • NPCs that are not story/side quest related have one dialog reply.
  • If one NPC is assaulted, every other NPC in a large circle around the player will crouch to the floor in the same animation, even if they did not see the original assault.
  • NPCs in a car will follow a specific route. If the route is even slightly interupted, for example by your car, they will cease to move forever until you remove the obstruction.
  • NPCs in a car will not attempt to move or exit their vehicle if you assault them with bullets/another vehicle.
  • NPCs will not acknowledge the player if they run the player over with their car.
  • NPCs will not attempt to steal their vehicle back if you steal it from them.
  • NPCs will not attack you or defend themselves in any way or form, even if engaged upon with just fists.
  • Police spawn around the player's vision when the player is wanted, forever, until they attempt to hide or drive away.
  • Police to not attempt to question, warn, or arrest the player for even the smallest crime commited, for example if you bump into them or accidently enter a private area.
  • Police are incapable of driving cars and chasing the player if they drive away.
  • Police will not attack hostile targets like Gangs if they are not already doing so in an activity.
  • Police will know if the player has attacked an NPC in the middle of the badlands and spawn next to the player, without vehicles.
  • NPCs will rarely thank or acknowledge the player if they are helped by the player.
  • Scripted NPCs that have dialog will say their dialog then proceed to stand there forever. They will also repeat the same dialog if the player leaves the area and visits again later.
No interactivity with pretty much anything as well. Can't sit down to have a bite to eat from street vendors. Can't go into most doors, can't play arcades. No mini games, no unique events (not quests) or interesting NPC AI. I guess this is more Metro Exodus with some Deus Ex mixed in vs what a lot of folks were hoping.

I am going to still keep my Best Buy physical copy since it came with a steelbook and wound up being about $40 for me, but with a 1080Ti I am going to wait for a few more optimization patches. Although I am kind of tempted to return it (haven't opened it).

Yep it's true. It's pretty much entirely a quest driven game.

The open world is pretty much just window dressing.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I don't remember who said it way back in the thread, but now I can't unsee the 'setup' the game clearly has (albeit how intentionally) for Cyberpunk-online multiplayer with MTX and the like..

Your contracts come from telephone calls so you don't have to go out of your way to pick them up, the errand/question mark on the map type-quests are all theoretically easily repeatable, and the narrative even supports it with multiple guns-for-hire living in Night city.

I guess Witcher 3 had some of this same theoretical setup too, but I feel like the cut corners have been kinda-sorta filed away at the narrative aspect of the pillar that propped up weaker parts of the Witcher 3, in order to get us to where we are here.

(that, and the systems that CDPR implement here don't work as well in a future-tech world - the cost for crafting a blue piece of gear, for some reason, requires purple upgrade/crafting mats...like, wtf?)

The 'key' NPC face animations are great - the writing is hit-or-miss, especially in the beginning of the game.

Once the 'stakes are raised', it gets (somewhat) better in terms of the big quests and such.

I dont think MTX will be a problem with CDPR.
And I am not even sure we will see an MP.
There is a video of shroud having a bug where he sees his character from a fixed 3rd person camera and the 3rd person animation would have to be completley redone to look acceptable. But since the game uses the whole character model in first person this would also change the first person animations.

That said: the gunplay mechanics are actually on par with some AAA shooter. I go as far as to.say that they might add some MP modes like TDM along the line with some coop or even MMO type of mode.
But the game runs so bad that I doubt an GTA Online like MP is actually possible.

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what you can do, maybe reinstall the game? Can't you play 1080 native? Should be not too bad in terms of fps.

I can of course and will. I am getting between 70-90 FPS on ultra (with a couple of things on medium such as Fog) depending on the scene but it's disappointing considering i have a 3080.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
So I intended to play through the game without killing anyone/stealth etc., etc., but I get the feeling the game thinks taht is pretty niche and tries to bandaid it by just having gun damage magically not kill people ("non-lethal" ammo elemental type, essentially). You are thrown into multiple on-rails gun sequences you have to either shoot or die in in less than hour of gameplay. The vast majority of perks do not support this playstyle either.

So is it even worth it to continue like this for those of you have seen more of the game? Or should I just try a different gunplay approach and save myself the frustration? When is the earliest you can nab some non-lethal sniper rifles/guns?

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Does anyone know why snipers seem to be hitting me even though I'm behind cover/a rock? I know there is a charge mechanic that allows certain weapons to shoot through cover but I don't know if that's it.

This is my main gripe so far, actually. I'm just focusing on the main story and while the writing, lore and the city itself are drawing me in, I'd really, really like the ability to just completely lose myself and LIVE in the world, so to speak. The little things like that help immensely.

Maybe I'm weird, but I can't explain how happy I would be if I could sit down in a diner, have my character enjoy a drink while I busy myself with small AFK tasks.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
My new systems remains above 60 FPS @ 1440p, ultra or high for every basic setting, ray tracing medium, DLSS balanced. Turning off chromatic aberration doesn't get me any extra frames, but it does make things look better IMO. Same with turning off film grain - I get the aesthetic they were going for but in my opinion it just makes things look uglier or smeared, I don't think it's having quite the effect the artists thought it would.

So far so good. I wish I had bothered to disassemble junk and weapons sooner, but I am still early enough along to catch up with gear upgrades. The world and characters you meet are so cool. Really digging it.

Twinduct

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any lore/ world building outside of the journal entries?
Not far at all into the story, but spent a good 10 hours just fucking around doing gigs/side stuff and yeah, really not getting any real feeling towards a lore filled world yet.