• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I think it's good to precise that the game is also playable on next-gen consoles while the real next-gen version isn't out yet.
Even tho it sounds weird to me lol

fcpiofoi4ms51.jpg

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that all games on PS4 released after Ghost of Tsushima had to be compatible with PS5 (or was it Last of Us 2?). Not surprised it'll run on next Xbox.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
The television adverts that started recently have been showing that same thing. You can see it at the end of this video from October 1st.

I just took it as "It'll play good via BC" - but the nextgen patch will still be next year.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
PS5/XSX will probably just have a res bump to 4K, not expecting anything major until the actual next-gen patch in 2021. Kinda weird we haven't seen actual PS4/XB1 footage yet btw. Maybe they're saving it for the next Night City Wire.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Does it not also play great on Xbox Series S :P?

Real talk though, it annoys the hell out of me that they worded it this way instead of 'Plays great on Xbox Series X and PS5 too'.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
It would be great to know what great means. Does it play just ok on series S? :D

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
They do. I don't get what you're questioning.
I guess I just don't find this as "new news?" I'd assume that if the game runs on next gen systems, which it does, it'd "play great" in BC mode. Or at least way better than the PS4 and Xbox One.

Oh, I didn't remember seeing this exact line in marketing stuff already shown before. I didn't know there would be more than one patch for next-gen either.

Last edited:

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I would like to kno some details about how it will run next month, just to not go blind.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Weird wording but yep - can't wait to play on my X. I'm not waiting - game looks incredible.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Wait wait wait wait..... I didn't realise this. It comes out ON THE PS5 LAUNCH DAY...... But the next gen version is out later?

That's a really, really strange approach. I wonder what the reasoning is there?

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's a good idea to have a setting on pro or xbox one x of the game that just runs at 4k/60 or what have you so the series x and ps5 can take advantage of, I'm guessing that's what this will be.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they show some footage on the next gen consoles of this version with maybe a preview of what the optimised version will eventually look like (tho presumably it just more closely matches a solid PC). Undecided on whether to wait.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Wait wait wait wait..... I didn't realise this. It comes out ON THE PS5 LAUNCH DAY...... But the next gen version is out later?

They had enough trouble getting the current version out by that date? There's not much to get tbh.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
I can sense the long series of annoying marketing meetings that must have taken place to get to this weird sentence. where by the end of the meetings the marketers have convinced themselves that they have formed a perfectly natural, informative and exciting sentence, but in reality it just sounds like a robot has made it, and all the real humans in the world will have to pause and think about what the fuck it actually means, then post about it in social media to talk about how weird it is. Then the marketers will call it 'cut through', like they've done it on purpose. I've been in plenty of those tortuous meetings.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

They are completely overworked with the current gent as it is.
Once that's out of the way, the other 2 will come out.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
So, 5 weeks to release, no console footage shown so far, cherrypicked gameplay was running on beastly PCs and still had problems to run smooth.

i fully expect this game to run really bad on base and mid gen consoles. and if the performance bump on next gen consoles relies on the boost mode it could very well be that it will also run subpar.

in short: native next gen version should have been there day one.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean they had to do something. They decided to delay it until the same time new systems were launching despite their next gen versions not being ready (baffling tbh). So they need to let people know who are interested in the game but maybe arent as up on gaming news that the game will work on their new consoles. If they dont they risk losing a lot of money in those first few weeks

ket

Jul 27, 2018
PS5/XSX will probably just have a res bump to 4K, not expecting anything major until the actual next-gen patch in 2021. Kinda weird we haven't seen actual PS4/XB1 footage yet btw. Maybe they're saving it for the next Night City Wire.

I suspect it's because the game runs like ass on base consoles

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Like GoT, I am expecting a simple patch that unlock the framerate / dynamic resolution. Nothing more.
But I am not expecting actual gen to run well, so it will be a must.

The only question, is, what origin story I will choose for launch play, and which one for next gen patch.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I wish they would just come out and say what this means. The game's already gone gold so I don't know what's keeping them.

I'm crossing my fingers this means it will have an option to uncapped the resolution and framerate.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But why not hold back and release the next gen versions and last gen versions together?
Because lots of people who play on PC or won't be getting a new console just yet will be mad at any delay for a next-gen release.

Remember that the vast majority of Cyberpunk 2077 players in November will already own the hardware they're likely to be playing this game on. That means PS4, Xbox One and PC. The game is ready to roll for those players so it should release for their platforms. Next-gen players can wait.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I wish they would just come out and say what this means. The game's already gone gold so I don't know what's keeping them.

I'm crossing my fingers this means it will have an option to uncapped the resolution and framerate.
Maybe they'll release more information with the next Night City Wire video? Last time they revealed the PC specs, so hopefully they will give us more console info next.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
So, 5 weeks to release, no console footage shown so far, cherrypicked gameplay was running on beastly PCs and still had problems to run smooth.

i fully expect this game to run really bad on base and mid gen consoles. and if the performance bump on next gen consoles relies on the boost mode it could very well be that it will also run subpar.

in short: native next gen version should have been there day one.

Current-gen performance is going to be ass. There is reason why they show the game running only on PC.
One can hope the framerate is somehow unlocked and next-gen consoles can run this with 60 (or close to) fps via BC.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
Because lots of people who play on PC or won't be getting a new console just yet will be mad at any delay for a next-gen release.

Remember that the vast majority of Cyberpunk 2077 players in November will already own the hardware they're likely to be playing this game on. That means PS4, Xbox One and PC. The game is ready to roll for those players so it should release for their platforms. Next-gen players can wait.
Actually, that's a key point that hadn't occurred to me - PC version. I think that's probably the main answer.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully they did the obvious thing and have an uncapped frame rate mode with a dynamic 4k resolution.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'd gladly take the Xbox One X version simply with an uncapped frame rate on Xbox Series X.

I understand further next gen optimizations for that game are coming, but playing around 60FPS on day one on XSX would be really appreciated.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
While this is true, you should keep in mind that the game will essentially be a backward compatible title at launch. The real next-gen improvements won't arrive until next year.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Just temper your expectations for current gen versions to not be great and you'll be fine. Although I'm looking forward to people that are somehow shocked at it running poorly on crappy 5+ year old hardware.