• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
https://www.techspot.com/news/78591-over-400-developers-working-cyberpunk-2077.html
Cyberpunk 2077 may still be a long way off if staffing levels are any indication. Even though CD Projekt Red confirmed the entire campaign was playable and that the game was "progressing fast and according to plan," there are still reportedly over 400 developers working on the project with more being hired.

CDPR's Investor Relations Director Karolina Gnaś told Polish outlet StockWatch, "The team working on Cyberpunk 2077 already has over 400 people."

The statement was in response to questions about whether the loss of Creative Director Sebastian Stępień was going to push back the development of the game.

"His departure does not affect the pace of work on our latest title in any way," said Gnaś.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It should be noted that staffing levels may not be indicative of when the game is going to launch. It could launch later this year, but the staff are needed to work on DLC like Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine for Witcher 3 (Both of which were large enough to be considered full games themselves). Just a note.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I don't think Cyberpunk 2077 will be released before May 2020, at the absolute soonest (and that might be overly optimistic).

Probably Fall 2020.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if those are just CDPR employees or also accounting for contractors and the like. Nice to hear it's going smoothly. I'm gonna venture a guess that q1/q2 2020 is when it hits.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Cross gen is fine with me.
I am absolutely disgusted at the prospect of this game having to run on an original Xbox One in ~2020

We saw what happened when Anthem went from Xbox One X for its reveal to base consoles for the demos

I hope they give 0 effs about Xbox One and PS4 base consoles and let it run at 30fps 720p it's so demanding. I want this to be gorgeous on next gen.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I am absolutely disgusted at the prospect of this game having to run on an original Xbox One in ~2020

We saw what happened when Anthem went from Xbox One X for its reveal to base consoles for the demos

I hope they give 0 effs about Xbox One and PS4 base consoles and let it run at 30fps 720p it's so demanding. I want this to be gorgeous on next gen.

I thought this when they talked about the density in place. I don't think i can wait if it releases on current consoles first. Even if only by a few months.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Why do I feel this game is going to be expensive as fuck.

No, the developers are based in Poland witb polish salaries. The marketing will push the cost eveb higher but i dont thik they will reach RDR 2 budget or your average AAA western open world title.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I never understand how can soooo many people working in a game project cant be a mess to handle

Does Jason book takes something about this?

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I trust CDPR, after Witcher 3 I'm sure that the wait will be well worth the payout.

Still, I wish they'd adapt to ~1 year release after the official announcement.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
I never understand how can soooo many people working in a game project cant be a mess to handle

Does Jason book takes something about this?

His book does give a good sense of the structures in place for a game development team in terms of teams/hierarchy, though I don't remember if it directly address the point.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I just checked,these guys-CD Projekt SA company has almost 5 bn $ market cap,impressive...

NDWest14

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
When was the last time a major AAA blockbuster released in summer? Highly doubt that

Witcher 3 released in May, which is basically the start of the summer blockbuster season.

BioShock also came out in the dead of summer. It happens. Not often, but it does.

I honestly welcome it, no reason for everyone to dump their shit in November-December. Especially one of this size.

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
Witcher 3 released in May, which is basically the start of the summer blockbuster season.

BioShock also came out in the dead of summer. It happens. Not often, but it does.

I honestly welcome it, no reason for everyone to dump their shit in November-December. Especially one of this size.
That was my point though, it doesn't happen very often. May is still spring. I would prefer more summer releases as there usually isn't much going on during the summer, but I wouldn't mind another spring release.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Fall 2020. If even then. Realistically 2021 after the final late delay in 2020.

I hate it, but always, always, bet the delay in video games. It takes these companies 10 years to program a boot screen by now.

NDWest14

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
That was my point though, it doesn't happen very often. May is still spring. I would prefer more summer releases as there usually isn't much going on during the summer, but I wouldn't mind another spring release.

Seriously. Games aren't movies, I'm not done in 2.5 hours tops....30-40-100 hour games all dropping in fall when that WHOLE summer is available kills me. Wallet is one thing, but time is something completely different.

I honestly think it'll be out sooner rather than later. The demo they showed looked outstanding, it's been years, it's fully playable. I could see them dropping it quickly, like announcing a release 2-3 months before it drops instead of a year of hype like R*

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Given their innate ability to patch games that go two steps forward and one and a half step back, purchasing it on one of the next gen systems after a year or so post launch would be the most ideal way to go (aside from the PC folks).

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
Seriously. Games aren't movies, I'm not done in 2.5 hours tops....30-40-100 hour games all dropping in fall when that WHOLE summer is available kills me. Wallet is one thing, but time is something completely different.

I honestly think it'll be out sooner rather than later. The demo they showed looked outstanding, it's been years, it's fully playable. I could see them dropping it quickly, like announcing a release 2-3 months before it drops instead of a year of hype like R*
For sure. I think the competition with big summer blockbusters is one part of the reason why, but you also have to think about summer being a time when people tend to spend more time outdoors or vacation and stuff. Usually during fall/winter temps starts dropping and people tend to go out less. Also, devs want that christmas money, lol

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
Exactly. In terms of huge releases, they'll have Summer all to themselves.
And to people vacationing, and to huge summer blockbuster movies, and to people spending more time outside cause its warmer, etc, etc, etc. Not saying it would be a bad thing, but there's a reason why games don't typically release during the summer. I would love for more summer AAA games, but I don't see it happening

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guess is May 2020 or Fall 2020 when the new consoles launch depending on if they're porting the game over to next gen. Personally, I would prefer CDPR to skip this generation and release the game exclusively for Xbox 4 and PlayStation 5 at launch because not only would that guarantee that im buying a new console day one but also because any limitations that they have this gen should hopefully be gone with next gen even if it's a launch title since the majority of games are developed on PC's and then ported over to consoles.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
And to people vacationing, and to huge summer blockbuster movies, and to people spending more time outside cause its warmer, etc, etc, etc. Not saying it would be a bad thing, but there's a reason why games don't typically release during the summer. I would love for more summer AAA games, but I don't see it happening

Perhaps, but Cyberpunk isn't just another AAA release like an Assassin's Creed that wouldn't generate huge buzz.