• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
all of yall actin like you still wont be playing this game day one lmaooo
giphy.gif
This is so sad it is kinda funny.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is Etienne Garde, one of the founders of the German Webvideo Television Station "Rocketbeans TV".
He is well known for way over a decade for being part in NBC's GIGA and MTV's GameOne here in Germany.
And this is his response:

He is known for not being the most "insightful" guy but this is just... disappointing. I don't know if he really is so
backwards or just trying to defend the company that is giving one of his good friends Fabian Mario Doehla (who did nothing wring),
PR guy for the German Market a job

And the worst thing, I know he won't feel guilty for his BS and there won't be anything that will change after this.

This is all fucking embarrassing

Oct 26, 2017
I've had discussions with people who stopped listening to what I was saying because they had an idea of who I was and what I was saying, and would prefer to attack me for something I didn't say. I guess people like that; those that get so lost in their cause that they are blinded from having an actual discussion.

You used 'SJW' as a pejorative. That says a lot.

Zeus The Dino

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah their apology is really weak, I'm disappointed :/ I don't understand what point you're trying to make. Some people will pass on the game now because of the tweet.

Nah, people who pass on it are those who were never gonna get it

Those who are "outraged" and writing paragraphs, are going to forget about this in a week, or when gameplay drops

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
How is my post a shit post? Because I am getting the game?
Because your post is contributing nothing to the discussion? You are intentionally avoiding commenting on the actual topic of the thread just to say that you "don't care"

Nobody gives a shit that you don't care about the topic at hand, so why post it?

Apr 27, 2018
I'll still get the game.
I am as well. The new screenshots they released looks great.

Besides to this issue, CDPR shouldn't have said that on their official Cyberpunk Twitter account. It hurts the image of the game and CDPR themselves, as well as potential buyers for the game (including those who are transgender) I just hope they make up for it, aside from a generic tweet.

Last edited:

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I firmly believe in completely divorcing artist and art so there is generally next to noting an author/singer/game developer can do to influence my purchasing decision beyond the object I am paying money for. But that absolutely doesnt mean I cant call out that behaviour as being absolutely shitty. Honestly I'm not even sure what you're getting at here? Are you saying its hypocritical to criticise the companys poor PR performance and then buy their game?

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Context doesn't matter. Using the joke at all in any context for any reason is stupid.
You're right, and I agree. That last sentence is literally a response to the guy I was replying to. I think seeing the initial tweet helps pieces click into place for posters more willing to (wrongfully) give benefit of the doubt or lacking insight on the matter if they see what the account was replying to.

Mandikiri

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Boston, MA.
Because your post is contributing nothing to the discussion? You are intentionally avoiding commenting on the actual topic of the thread just to say that you "don't care"

Nobody gives a shit that you don't care about the topic at hand, so why post it?

Alright. You need to calm down first. Because all I said is that I am getting the game. I do care about the situation. I am stating that I am getting the game.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am arguing with a friend for the last 2 hours about transgenderism and he is saying trans people have a psychological problem and the fact that indicates that is that even in countries in which their condition is accepted the suicide percentenge is at 40% for trans people. He concludes saying that, as a society, we should not embrace their psychological problems and "accept them", but actually help them with psychological treatment. He also compared it to schizophrenia when confronted with something I said, stating that it is not because the people that have schizophrenia thinks he sees something that we should keep feeding those visions he had, like... his comparasion was in the sense that it is not because trans people believe they are not their born gender that we should be supoorting that, since it is a psychological disorder.

Thing is, he is one my best friends. And I also really dont think he is a bad person.

That said... he is being a jerk, right?

Also I am not finding the 40% stuff he said. Is he lying?
Your friend sounds like a piece of shit. Why are you friends with him?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017

Those who are "outraged" and writing paragraphs, are going to forget about this in a week, or when gameplay drops
Totally like how people forgot about Kingdom Come Deliverance?

It's okay to just post, "I am okay with this transphobic joke and I am upset that other people are finding criticism in a game I'm hyped for."

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
What I'm learning is how offensive that phrase is. I thought it was pretty mild previously and hasn't seen anyone complain at it before. What term do I use then?

At this point, SJW is a derogatory term. It's used by groups like Gamergate to target and demonize people who have any liberally-minded views.

It would be better to make it clear that it isn't a term you support (either put it in quotes "SJWs" or say "so-called SJWs") or make it clear who uses the term (Gamergate, the alt-right).

Last edited:

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
When I saw that joke I thought it was making fun of people who get easily offended, like the attack helicopter one.

I didn't know this was transphobic but you live and learn.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I am arguing with a friend for the last 2 hours about transgenderism and he is saying trans people have a psychological problem and the fact that indicates that is that even in countries in which their condition is accepted the suicide percentenge is at 40% for trans people. He concludes saying that, as a society, we should not embrace their psychological problems and "accept them", but actually help them with psychological treatment. He also compared it to schizophrenia when confronted with something I said, stating that it is not because the people that have schizophrenia thinks he sees something that we should keep feeding those visions he had, like... his comparasion was in the sense that it is not because trans people believe they are not their born gender that we should be supoorting that, since it is a psychological disorder.

Thing is, he is one my best friends. And I also really dont think he is a bad person.

That said... he is being a jerk, right?

Also I am not finding the 40% stuff he said. Is he lying?
Your friend is reciting the same propaganda that leads to shit like conversion therapy. He's being a massive piece of shit.

When I saw that joke I thought it was making fun of people who get easily offended, like the attack helicopter one.

The attack helicopter one is ALSO a transphobic joke, originated by people who were being shitty to transgendered people for no reason.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
god damn, why are you people like this?

you see a guy trying to better himself, and all you do is to attack him for not being woke enough, stop this shit

Anyone using "SJWs" in 2018 isn't just "not woke enough", my dude. Frankly anyone using "SJWs" in 2018 probably isn't even trying to better themselves.

They need to put in the bare minimum before they get that benefit of the doubt and not using that term is an extremely obvious low bar.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Check me on it when it's out. Not touching it with a ten foot pole.

Bull fucking shit. Speak for yourself. I love everything related to Cyberpunk settings, Deus Ex 1 is my favorite game of all time and I was incredibly hyped for this game. I'm not going to forget this because unlike you, I genuinely care about trans issues.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Specifically addressing the audience they offended would be done by saying:

"Sorry to the Transgender community we offended with our comment, harming anyone was not our intention, statement to follow"

What they actually did was try to absolve themselves of blame and blame the people offended for being too thinskinned and taking offense at what they said.

I definitely agree it is not a fantastic apology and could stand to be much, much better, it just doesn't read to me as something with ill-intent (like absolving themselves or passing on blame), but rather something that is a safe "cookie-cutter" apology from a PR handbook for any given situation. There is a lot to be desired, though.

Like I said, I'm hoping they elaborate on this apology and make a donation to a charity for their mistake or something similar once gamescom has settled down and they have time to investigate the issue further.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
So because I am getting the game. I don't care? Come on, let's not assume things that aren't truth.
You know what you said was meant to sound dismissive of the entire issue by posting one sentence saying you're still buying the game. Don't treat us like we're stupid. Don't act like you're here in good faith with posts like this.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
How is my post a shit post? Because I am getting the game?

Because your stance is literally, "I don't give a shit if they spend their time belittling people due to their sexual orientation, I JUST WANT TO PLAY THE VIDEO GAME SO PEOPLE WHO FEEL SLIGHTED SHOULD SHUT UP!"

That's a shit post. If you don't care, you shouldn't have posted.

Not only do you not care, you're basically saying they should continue being shitty.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain

The attack helicopter joke is made by transphobic people that think wanting to be gendered correctly is so ridiculous that it equates to a human wanting to identify as an attack helicopter.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017

You are definitely assuming too much. Each person will have a different reaction and you shouldn't downplay any of them.

Case in point: I am still interested in the game, because it is my hope that this behavior is not representative of the actual product, but I will pay no more attention to their Twitter account. If this continues, I might even skip the release and only come around to the game at a later date. Even if I'm invested in playing this title, I don't need or want to support these insensitive PR tactics, whether they come from malice or ignorance.

Oct 27, 2017
I am as well. The new screenshots they released looks great.

Besides to this issue, CDPR shouldn't have said that on their official Cyberpunk Twitter account. It hurts the image of the game and CDPR themselves. I just hope they make up for it, aside from a generic tweet.

Not to mention the people who are actually hurt by being ridiculed and laughed at simply for being themselves... Or are you implying they secondary to the company and the game that looks so great?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
The false equivalency of people criticizing a transphobic joke with people boycotting a game should be a red flag for everyone in this thread.

The same people will then argue, in bad faith, that there is no such thing as nuance because people are always offended. Clown shoes.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At this point, SJW is a derogatory term. It's used by groups like Gamergate to target and demonize people who have any liberally-minded views.

It would be better to make it clear that it isn't a term you support (either put it in quotes "SJWs" or say "so-called SJWs") or make it clear who uses the term (Gamergate, the alt-right)

thanks for actually trying to educate people

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
One mod warning in the OP, explaining the harm that this tweet caused and why it is transphobic, and 23 pages later people are still getting banned. How dense can you be?

I expected exactly that kind of apology. "Sorry if I offended you", they missed the oportunity to add "pussy", at the end. So they can get those sweet GG sales.

The foundations of society need to be demolished.

Lyon N. Laap

Oct 27, 2017
I'll still get the game.

What you choose not to say can send a message just as strongly as what you choose to say.

Like how transphobic comments mean so little to you that you wouldn't even acknowledge them in a thread revolving around transphobic comments.

But thanks for letting everyone know that the only thing you want to contribute in a thread about transphobic comments is your support for the studio that made them I guess.

Edit; And yeah, terrible look from the studio, both for the comment and their crappy apology. It shouldn't be that hard to realize why a multinational company with a problematic audience such as gamers should definitely avoid these kind of "jokes".

Oct 25, 2017
One mod warning in the OP, explaining the harm that this tweet caused and why is it transphobic, and 23 pages later people are still getting banned. How dense can you be?

I expected exactly that kind of apology. "Sorry if I offended you", they missed the oportunity to add "pussy", at the end.

bigots aren't smart.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
So because I am getting the game. I don't care? Come on, let's not assume things that aren't truth.
If your 1st reaction to this thread is "I'm getting the game" then clearly you care less about the issue than about the game to the point that it looks like you have no idea that there is an issue.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
One mod warning in the OP, explaining the harm that this tweet caused and why is it transphobic, and 23 pages later people are still getting banned. How dense can you be?

I expected exactly that kind of apology. "Sorry if I offended you", they missed the oportunity to add "pussy", at the end.

I mean, you're assuming the people who are responding in shitty ways are doing so in good faith.

They're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.