• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
What I'm learning is how offensive that phrase is. I thought it was pretty mild previously and hasn't seen anyone complain at it before. What term do I use then?

Use for what? Referring to people that care about social justice and caring about people of color and the lgbtq + community? The term I think you were looking 4 is decent human being

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The false equivalency of people criticizing a transphobic joke with people boycotting a game should be a red flag for everyone in this thread.

The same people will then argue, in bad faith, that there is no such thing as nuance because people are always offended. Clown shoes.

I ceel like we can have a new bingo board for these kinds of situations. I vote for "you were not going to buy the game anyway".

Pog

Banned
May 19, 2018
Extremely disappointed in this company who I thought were one of the "good ones". I will definitely not be buying Cyberpunk on release and I wouldn't be surprised if this creates a toxic stigma around the studio that affects their sales negatively.

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
"I identify as a trans woman and would like for people like you to stop murdering people like me."

"Oh yeah? Well I identify as an attack helicopter HURR DURR!!!!!!"

Yeah just making fun of people who get "easily offended". The entire point of "poking fun at outrage culture" is literally justifying hatred and bigotry, which has become clear as day over the past 4 years within the gaming community. If anyone still thinks the people spreading this rhetoric are merely "poking fun" you must be living under a rock.

It was ignorance.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I thought the joke was in context of the game including transhumanist and transexual themes since, you know, that's part of what cyberpunk is all about.

While I don't condone offensive behaviour towards any group, culture or whatever, I find it despicable how everyone is so quick on the trigger and discourse is discouraged. I'm sure the comment had not a malicious intention in any way, yet everyone is already condemning CD Projekt and all of its employees to the cross, people who don't agree with your worldview or are uninformed/misinformed are pieces of shit and everyone who does agree with you on calling them so is instantly a paragon of Justice, just like you are.

I'd rather find all of you post constructive criticism, post well formulated posts explaining why this kind of behaviour should be reprehensible and explaining the reality of all this instead of just posting "They're shit!", "I'm not buying anything" and other low-effort that do nothing but seem like virtue-signaling posts because hell, half of the posts in the thread just come out as "I'm angry at them!!!" posts, which does nothing but reinforce the "LGBT+ community are just a bunch of whiners".

You know the community manager in charge of their twitter account that he was being super fucking slick with that tweet.

Here's a tip: Your game is poised to challenge ideas of transhumanism and explore the depths of what it means to be human, in society, enmasse, in order to have a greater conversation about humanity in general. DON'T LEAD WITH SHITTY MEMES BEING USED TO BELITTLE AN ALREADY CONSTANTLY UNDER ATTACK SUBSECTION OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO CHOICE IN WHO THEY ARE!

Why is that hard to understand?

Monorojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it considered a leftist agenda not to be a piece of shit to other people?

What is so hard about this for some people, i fear I'll never understand.

Dude who sent the tweet needs to be fired but I won't boycott this game or anything like that.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that CDPR does have a history of this. Their pro-GamerGate tweet from a few weeks ago, or their poor stereotypical representation of Indian people in the upcoming game, shows enough of a running trend here.

Whoever is in charge of their Twitter account seems to be trying too hard to fit in with "Internet culture" and not trying hard enough to learn about the various ethical implications of what they are doing, this is true, but I hope the game itself will be better than that. Concerning Indian representation, we don't know if that scene will remain in the final product or if it'll be improved and/or removed.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I'm not ignoring anyone in this thread, just reporting anything questionable.

The mods are very responsive to reports. Everyone needs to report when they see something even remotely reportable. Even If no immediate action is taken, it builds a trail for the mods to see later for other reported posts.

As an aside, kudos to the mods who deal with threads like these. ResetEra has an incredibly dedicated moderation team.

If only CDPR had similar for their tweets!

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Between this and their reticence to discuss gender fluidity options in the character creation, they are treading on thin fucking ice. Get it the fuck together.

Apr 27, 2018
Not to mention the people who are actually hurt by being ridiculed and laughed at simply for being themselves... Or are you implying they secondary to the company and the game that looks so great?
It's a shitty move on CDPR's side from hurting the user base of the game, yes body modifications to Android or human being is a thing in the future. Their customer base/core audience, including those of race, sexual orientation, etc should be respected at all times.

It sucks that the official account for Cyberpunk tweeted that response to the individual who asked the question.

I just hope that the game (the product itself turns out great after all these years of waiting)

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
My thoughts exactly. Educate the person who made the mistake, make some sort of charitable gesture or similar to back up an apology, and ensure it doesn't happen again. This was an ill-advised "joke" made in poor taste by someone who should have known better, but it's still just a mistake, not a sweeping declaration of transphobia by the entirety of the company, and I expect an apology on a similar scale.
If this was a racist joke told in the same manner would you expect a similarly low-key apology?

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever is in charge of their Twitter account seems to be trying too hard to fit in with "Internet culture" and not trying hard enough to learn about the various ethical implications of what they are doing, this is true, but I hope the game itself will be better than that. Concerning Indian representation, we don't know if that scene will remain in the final product or if it'll be improved and/or removed.
All we have to go by right now is what we were shown. What we were shown doesn't strike me with any confidence.

They've done stuff like this before?
The problem is that CDPR does have a history of this. Their pro-GamerGate tweet from a few weeks ago, or their poor stereotypical representation of Indian people in the upcoming game, shows enough of a running trend here.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling for the mods, so much work to do.
Mods working overtime.

This is a bloodbath and people still won't read the OP or learn.

I was however surprised with one one account having 8k+ posts.

On topic, that was not even a apology. I feel like they are sorry that people outed them. I don't think they still get it.

Oct 25, 2017
Woo boy that follow-up Tweet. Yeah, CDPR doesn't know WHAT THE FUCK they're doing. Just another shitty game company for shitty gaming culture.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I recently spent the day watching a co-workers 2 children. They were ages 10 (girl) and 15 (boy). Both of them are very much into internet culture... memes, Fortnite references, etc. We were getting pizza after a trip to Microcenter (we were building a PC for the older boy) and I had an exchange with the younger girl because she was acting goofy where I said, "You crazy girl." She responded with, "Did you just assume my gender?" I honestly didn't know how to respond... I just let it go. I have no kids of my own and didn't know how to break down the politics of what she just said to a 10 year old.

Now she 10 but on the internet these phrases have a way of becoming their own thing, spreading and being used in a context not intended by their original hurtful means. It reminds me of the whole "Do you know the way" meme that Razor didn't realize was a racist reference and made a tweet with the phrase. It doesn't surprise me that people are being honest in coming here and admitting ignorance to the impact of the phrase. I think rather than thrashing those who admit this here, we can use this as a teachable moment to spread awareness.

Also, I feel some here who dislike the Witcher series or CDPR are using this as an opportunity to link this with the dev team. Social media accounts do not develop the games. The Tweet was stupid, the non-appology was horrible and deserves all of the response it's receiving. But remember there is a large team of people that develop and create the games and the social media accounts don't speak for all of those people.

Also, big shout out to the mod team working overtime in this thread.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
That's... not a great apology. It's kind of textbook "we don't want to admit fault, sorry for being offended" type apology.

KelticNight

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely disappointed in this company who I thought were one of the "good ones". I will definitely not be buying Cyberpunk on release and I wouldn't be surprised if this creates a toxic stigma around the studio that affects their sales negatively.

Check the news. The Cyberpunk related news being reported is the new screenshots they released.

It's already been forgotten by some, and a lot of people probably didn't even know it happened at all.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You people are on the losing side of history, and I look forward to the day when you are driven back into your underground hiding holes again, instead of being emboldened to be shitty in the public, thanks to the sentient Cheeto who's currently in office.
I agree with you, I am pretty down on CDPR in general and this stuff just reinforces my issues with them. I can't wait for that day as well. It can't come soon enough.

They've done stuff like this before?
Yup at least once before if not more.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the threads, of all the news during gamescom week, this "joke" and that "apology" are the most discussed thing here.

gg CDPR you just played yourself

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so you were just strawmanning. Thanks to clarifying.

Strawmanning? I don't get it. Im simply saying that if one developer writes something shitty in a tweet I will not stop wanting to buy the game because there are many other developers too and not buying that game will feel like Im punishing every developer of that game for something 1 dev did.

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
Reactions to transphobia, homophobia, sexism, racism, etc, all get lumped into "outrage culture" by those that just want to carry on with their prejudice and bullying of those very same groups. Oh those persecuted people are just so outraged that I can't seem to have the human decency to acknowledge their existence or refuse to stop thinking rape or gender dysphoria is somehow funny. Then they laugh at them and turn it into a caricature.
Thank you. I'm not well versed in social issues. Probably because I have never had to deal with anything like this.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
As someone who is incredibly excited for Cyberpunk, I hope that his situation pushes CDPR to be more thoughtful in their language in promotion and writing to be inclusive to marginalized individuals. If a pattern of these situations occur, then I would reflect on my potential purchase similarly to how I did with Kingdom Come Deliverance, by not purchasing the game.

I would imagine most people have this same mindset. There are more responses about people being outraged than there are containing actual criticism.
This is where I'm at right now. Was super excited for the game, but I agree with Phantom Thief that this "joke" might indicate the CDPR team don't fully appreciate some of the ideas that are central to the CyberPunk setting.

I'm really curious if Mike Pondsmith is going to comment, since he wrote the CyberPunk setting and is working with CDPR on the game.

Ajax125

Nov 15, 2017
I know this is going to piss off a lot of people.....

But i honestly didn't know that statement was used or being used (and taken) as an offensive joke.

You might be overestimating how long people's attention spans are on the internet.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's that horrid leftist agenda of... empathy and tolerance that makes their blood boil!
Yep, it is sad how there are still young people who hate people different than them. That cant handle racial and sexual diversity in their lives and games.

It's honestly depressing. Young people are supposed to be accepting and open.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
It's that horrid leftist agenda of... empathy and tolerance that makes their blood boil!
It's so weird seeing this
hqdefault.jpg

but not as a joke.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017

It was a shitty tweet but I doubt it will affect sales. The sad truth is that most gamers don't care about these issues anywhere near as much as the average resetera member does.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
This is Etienne Garde, one of the founders of the German Webvideo Television Station "Rocketbeans TV".
He is well known for way over a decade for being part in NBC's GIGA and MTV's GameOne here in Germany.
And this is his response:

He is known for not being the most "insightful" guy but this is just... disappointing. I don't know if he really is so
backwards or just trying to defend the company that is giving one of his good friends Fabian Mario Doehla (who did nothing wring),
PR guy for the German Market a job

And the worst thing, I know he won't feel guilty for his BS and there won't be anything that will change after this.

This is all fucking embarrassing

Yeah, i was honestly a bit shocked. I know Eddy spouts his stupid hot takes (about vegans for example) from time to time. But this is just wow... told him what a "Depp" he is.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
I think it's a stretch to hate this unreleased game you have no real info about and a development team based on a Tweet sent out by one person who may have been ignorant towards how offensive that tweet truly was. I don't think any sane person would tweet that out in this day and age with malice as intent on a company account.

I'm glad there is some sort of an apology albeit a shitty one...

Generalizing is never a smart thing. For all we know there are trans people in the studio who are currently taking action about this or others in that office that took issue with said tweet. This is not the mistake of CDPR. This is a mistake of one employee who probably didn't mean any harm and didn't understand the joke. Let's be aware of the harm and power our language can hold and be a little more cognisant of what we say.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I know this is going to piss off a lot of people.....

But i honestly didn't know that statement was used or being used (and taken) as an offensive joke.

You might be overestimating how long people's attention spans are on the internet.
Why would that piss people off? It's fine if you didn't get it. I don't get everything all the time either, sometimes until after it's explained.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. I'm not well versed in social issues. Probably because I have never had to deal with anything like this.

And that's fine as long as you're able to step outside your comfort zone and learn about others and their experiences. I was personally a transphobic and homophobic little shit when I was younger but it was conversations like this on forums back then that started opening my eyes.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think calling for the firing of the social media guy is a reasonable response to this. That's someone's livelihood over a poorly executed attempt at a joke. I don't think what he said is enough to infer that they're transphobic or that it was meant with hate in his/her heart. Tone deaf, maybe, but not hateful.

I think talking with him and educating him saying "hey, we have a wide ranging audience that may get offended to stuff like this, don't do that. Stay away from these kind of topics. Period." is fine enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.