• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Wow, someone got triggered.

First, I'm not saying he's a saint, and second, I didn't say I agree with his views or that I like him. Yes, the pedo thing was horrible and hopefully he'll pay a hefty sum for that. Everything corporate-related, including "risks the safety of his own workers" - there are literally hundreds of companies doing the exact same.

As for CDPR, let's put your emotions aside for a second and tell me that from a PR standpoint this isn't a fucking win for them.
Why should anyone not buying stock in CDPR fucking care?

"Putting aside your emotions to marketing and social media designed to appeal to your emotions..."

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This thread reads like a corporate stan bingo card.

On topic, though, yeah, Cyberpunk went from my most anticipated upcoming game to "I'll probably check it out if I can buy it cheaply second-hand".
Not feeling CDPR's understanding of the themes at all.
(And don't @me with "bUt miKe PoNdSmiTh")
You are entitled to think so but I really don't believe this tweet indicates how the narrative of the game is going to play out.

What I do believe is that it's somehow trendy to hate on cyberpunk 2077 on Era before playing it just like some other places on the Internet are hating on the last of us part 2 before playing it and deciding that the story will be shit.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Their PR is on point, Musk is much, much more loved than hated, and for some reason people around here can't give this guy a break, like Tesla was the only company who required employees to get back to work.
Hint - you want to reach as many people as possible to try/buy your multi-million AAA game, getting Musk somehow linked to it isn't a bad thing, at all.

Poor Elon. He's really having a hard time.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Whoever is in charge of their social media is just out of touch. (Or he is alt right and i dont even wanna think about that scenario)
What the actual fuck? How do you come to the conclusion that someone is alt right from that tweet? Sometimes, reactions from this place make me dizzy.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
"Grimes (aka Claire Boucher) said she plays Lizzy Wizzy, a pop star who killed herself on stage -- doctors performed "emergency surgery" to replace her whole body with cybernetics, and she went on to continue the gig and her career as a cyborg. It's one of the "greatest pieces of performance art ever made," Grimes said."

www.engadget.com

Grimes details her character's backstory in 'Cyberpunk 2077'

Keanu Reeves might not be the only recognizable face to have a substantial presence in Cyberpunk 2077. Grimes, who's also on the soundtrack, recently held a livestream (since pulled) where she shared details of an in-game character she'd previously only teased. Appropriately, it's an...
I'm sorry, I had to reread that a few times to grasp that idea.

I'm...not sure how to feel about that. Is that (her suicide) going to actually be visually presented in the game? If it is in anyway I can not think anything but "Yikes."

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't judge the game, obviously, since I haven't played it.
I am however suspicious of CDPR's understanding and handling of the themes, and therefore not super hyped for the product.
And I am not willing to give them my money (because of the transphobic shit and their alt-right dogwhistles and subsequent non-apologies), so I'm gonna be buying it used.

That okay with you?
Dont forget crunch

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Their PR is on point, Musk is much, much more loved than hated, and for some reason people around here can't give this guy a break, like Tesla was the only company who required employees to get back to work.
Hint - you want to reach as many people as possible to try/buy your multi-million AAA game, getting Musk somehow linked to it isn't a bad thing, at all.
Yes because all companies offered their employees the time off during a pandemic and then fired the ones that did. Poor Elon people are calling out his cruel business practices.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/06/25/tesla-plant-firings/

Woylie

May 9, 2018
lol have they fired the social media person with horrible ideas about trans people yet

cdpr's twitter sucks and has consistently undercut their games' marketing with alt-right meme shit - at a certain point it's a pattern, and a lack of action starts to look a lot like co-signing that pattern.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
You are entitled to think so but I really don't believe this tweet indicates how the narrative of the game is going to play out.

What I do believe is that it's somehow trendy to hate on cyberpunk 2077 on Era before playing it just like some other places on the Internet are hating on the last of us part 2 before playing it and deciding that the story will be shit.

there's a major difference between people (mostly leftists) being skeptical of class consciousness/commentary in a game set in a genre built on such storytelling from a team who show their asses with transphobia, non-apologies, and corny shit like this (cyberpunk 2077) and alt-right xenophobic morons hating on the last of us part II because there's lesbians and POC in it

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Sure, if that is your take. But I wouldn't dogpile on a game just because it's "trendy" to do so, I mean I have publicly praised Ubisoft games here in the past.
While you're obviously allowed to disagree with me, this is not a bandwagon thing.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Look dude, they did a tweet at Elon Musk, that's a clear indicator that the creative director, writers and even the original creator of Cyberpunk don't actually get it. This tweet is the smoking gun!

Honestly, what a silly thread.
A guy in the staff of an approx 800 man company tweeted something not critical of a narcissistic billionaire, ergo said company (including the OG tabletop game), do not understand said game. Gotta love ERA.
Alternatives: an individual opinion, a sarcastic appraisal, PR so the followers of a well known rech billionaire follow you...

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I honestly didn't expect a full critical commentary on class and society from the beginning, yet I'm not familiar with the genre and I admit that I do like some of its themes and more so its aesthetics. And that is actually enough (well, that and CDPRs characters, worlds and quests) for me to anticipate the game. If I get more this is a plus.

OP
OP
HMS_Pinafore

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8

For what it's worth, I made this thread and I hope Cyberpunk succeeds.

But I see this as a red flag that at the very least CDPR need a better PR team, especally after all the Transphobic shit they've done

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Sure, if that is your take. But I wouldn't dogpile on a game just because it's "trendy" to do so, I mean I have publicly praised Ubisoft games here in the past.
While you're obviously allowed to disagree with me, this is not a bandwagon thing.
I understand, well it's your choice and I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Woah, from the title you'd think they did something atrocious like defending Michael Jackson.
But that was a bunch of ResetEra users instead.

Yes because these are perfectly fine business practices noone could possible have an issue with it.

Washington Post - "Tesla gave workers permission to stay home rather than risk getting covid-19. Then it sent termination notices."

Imagine actually defending this shit. The title is well earned.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
For what it's worth, I made this thread and I hope Cyberpunk succeeds.

But I see this as a red flag that at the very least CDPR need a better PR team, especally after all the Transphobic shit they've done
I can agree with that, I just don't believe their tonedeaf marketing on twitter is indicative of how well played out the themes of the game will be.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Gotta love people on the internet telling mike pondsmith he doesn't understand cyberpunk.

Let's be real here, nothing of what we've seen so far indicates he's had a significant influence. Neither has any of cdpjr's messaging up til this point inspired much confidence. The opposite in fact.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I like how selectively the crunch argument is used on forums. It's horribly bad practice to crunch for years but just using the argument for publishers or studios you dislike is in bad faith.

NAUGHTY DOG CRUNCH GOOD
CD PROJEKT RED CRUNCH BAD
interchangeable based on your corporate blockbuster fanaticism of choice

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
Let's be real here, nothing of what we've seen so far indicates he's had a significant influence. Neither has any of cdpjr's messaging up til this point inspired much confidence. The opposite in fact.

exactly, this moment here can't be taken in isolation. there's been a ton of red flags throughout this hype cycle for me that have me worried about the game

Oct 31, 2017
User banned (1 week): inflammatory comparison
Yes because these are perfectly fine business practices noone could possible have an issue with it.

Washington Post - "Tesla gave workers permission to stay home rather than risk getting covid-19. Then it sent termination notices."
Your point?
This entire thread is the equivalent of blaming someone who links a Woody Allen clip of being a full supporter of child molestation and grooming.

Not to mention the UTTERLY RIDICULOUS ongoing idea among a part of the user base on this forum that anything that isn't laser-focused on being a social commentary/attack at capitalism first and foremost shouldn't be considered "proper Cyberpunk".

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

All billionaires are bad, yes.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I don't judge the game, obviously, since I haven't played it.
I am however suspicious of CDPR's understanding and handling of the themes, and therefore not super hyped for the product.
And I am not willing to give them my money (because of the transphobic shit and their alt-right dogwhistles and subsequent non-apologies), so I'm gonna be buying it used.

That okay with you?
You can do whatever you like. It shouldn't matter if it's okay with me.

As for my point, it's a bit like this. Dan Vavra is a bigoted piece of trash. I'll never buy anything he ever creates. But I also won't say that I'm suspicious of his ability to create a good game, because history shows that he's created plenty of good ones. It's just that I'll never play any of those games because of the views of their creator.

I haven't heard about the alt-right dog whistles from CDPR, and what I know of the transphobic stuff is that it was just the person in charge of their twitter handle. I believe that person has been removed. Everything else I've seen and heard about the game points to a positive and well-researched trans representation.

Feel free to point out if I'm wrong about any of that. I won't be playing the game if I'm sure that the people in charge of CDPR are transphobic or alt-right crusaders. Was really looking forward to playing Spider-Man, but have no intention of doing so after I found out about the kind of shit Insomniac has done to its employees.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Your point?
This entire thread is the equivalent of blaming someone who links a Woody Allen clip of being a full supporter of child molestation and grooming.

Not to mention the UTTERLY RIDICULOUS ongoing idea among a part of the user base on this forum that anything that isn't laser-focused on being a social commentary/attack at capitalism first and foremost shouldn't be considered "proper Cyberpunk".
So your not going to engage with what Elon musk has actually done? Your just going straight up ignore the fact that he offered employee's the opportunity to stay home during a pandemic and then fired the ones that did. This is perfectly fine to you and not worthy of condemnation?

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
If the game isn't actually punk they're going to
shit the bed with word of mouth sales.

And the studios rep will drop

It's in the title, have something energising to say.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Your point?

have I missed something but there seems to be a rather strong undercurrent of people on this forum disliking almost every aspect of the game. From the digital foundry threads, the reveal and now something as seemingly innocuous as a tweet of Keanu.

also we should take the mad scrawling of OP with a pinch of salt...especially when he had this to say about the Simpson's

"The Simpsons peeked with the Tracey Ullman shorts, by season 1 it was already unwatchable"

he's a certified loon 😜 /joke

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow their social media intern isn't tapped into the controversyNet as hard as us. Unbelievable! This definitely means the game will have Elon mush as the corpo route hero

Your point?
Did you see the digital foundry thread where John was run off the forum because he didn't know about a homophobic bit in Ion Fury, therefore not mentioning it in his video analysis? This is what this forum is.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So your not going to engage with what Elon musk has actually done? Your just going straight up ignore the fact that he offered employee's the opportunity to stay home during a pandemic and then fired the ones that did. This is perfectly fine to you and not worthy of condemnation?

Hitler did some good things too....

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks OP I am truly enraged. Keep the super loaded tabloid titles up.

This Tweet has zero relevance as to how critical Cyberpunk will be of unregulated capitalism.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
"Game company posts image to giant capitalist man on popular social media platform and reveals that they don't know how to make games faithful"

Sometimes you just really need to look at the bigger picture here and realise that your minuscule moral dilemmas do not translate to the scale of corporations, which are themselves a product of capitalism and human resource no matter how big or small they are, so you really need to pick your battles here.

And when your outrage is directed at a PR department within that company for posting one wordless response but not in reaction to the unhealthy working practices that same company imposes on their workers at a known detriment to their health out with a pandemic, you really need to stop and think about where your outrage is really coming from.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I haven't heard about the alt-right dog whistles from CDPR, and what I know of the transphobic stuff is that it was just the person in charge of their twitter handle. I believe that person has been removed. Everything else I've seen and heard about the game points to a positive and well-researched trans representation.

The person who was in charge of corporate Twitter account wasn't implanted in that position by the aliens. It wasn't someone who was a blank page, either, it was a known alt-right sympathizer. The corporation chose this person to represent it on social media, issued a couple of weak non-apologies after this guy shit the bed, and only removed him because of external pressure, not because (apparently) it saw any fault with having this person in charge of their social media.
It's never just "that one guy".
Same thing with Dan Vavra - I have no reason to believe the rest of the Warhorse are alt-right dipshits, but the studio is okay with this guy speaking for them and being the face of the studio, so regardless of how the individual developers feel about it, the whole studio deserves to be boycotted until they very convincingly do a 180 on this.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
I hope you all also cancel the game awards, when he gets invited back on. Elon is a pos, but the ERA outrage often feels so selective.