• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
This and other bits of information came from interview with Marcin Iwinski by Jason for Kotaku Splitscreen.

It was 30-ish minute interview with variety of topics, including crunch talk, and you can listen to it here: https://player.fm/series/kotaku-splitscreen/e3-2018-the-challenges-of-making-cyberpunk-2077

Here is my notes from interview. Questions and answers aren't word for word, but more me just taking up larger points and such.

------------------------------------

Why to show CP77 behind closed doors?
  • Would love show everyone, E3 format influenced decisions. Only so limited amount of people would have seen it on stage. They decided to show to limited pool of people too, get feedback straight.
  • They handed out surveys to everyone who saw gameplay demo.

How long was in prep for E3?
  • They started prep in 2017.

They appriciate that people are willing to wait bit longer for CP77, telling them to take their time and get it right

They do QA from early on in development, seeking for any issues and solutions early on.

Teased in 2013, rumors about reboots later. True?
  • Coy about answer, but confirms that there has been some soft-reboots on aspects of the game. Iterating. Visual design was one of those things, if I understood context right
  • They somewhat changed direction of whole game too at some point. Doesn't address it, but sounds like there was no rumored 100% clean start hard-reboot.

When true dev started?
  • They thought in 2013 they could run CP77 and TW3 in parallel, they couldn't. They maybe could have, but decided to go all in on TW3's and expansions quality.
  • There was world design etc. work going on at background for CP77 during TW3 development, made starting actual development easier for CP77

CDP + GOG is 800-ish people, 600-ish people working on development, 100-ish on Gwent and 500-ish on CP77?

Jason says 400-ish for CP77, Marcin doesn't correct him.

This gen or next?
  • PC + current-gen. Says they have no idea when or what next-gen is, says their tech is ready to scale up to next-gen.
  • REDEngine 4 runs CP77, REDEngine 3 ran TW3. They rewrote / improved most of engine for CP77.

Crunch discussion. Jason brings up and Marcin addresses interview where it was implied CDPR was against unions
  • CDPR not against unions, they just don't think it's answer to crunch.
  • Publicly known that CDPR crunches
  • People have to be paid for overtime (read: crunch) in Poland, unlike in e.g. US
  • Not proud of need for crunch, but they are open about it and tell new people that it's part of their culture so people know what they are getting into
  • Feels that a lots of AAA dev houses are similar, crunch culture all around. Doesn't say that as positive thing, not at all
  • They wants to mitigate crunch, from business financial and human cost perspectives. Would be cheaper for them as company and would take less toll on employees
  • They make schedules for projects with overtime in mind, but often there is even more overtime than thought
  • Crunch is something that they constantly think about and seek solutions to mitigate it, but there is no magic bullet solutions

What learned from TW3?
  • Says he isn't developer, but does business and publishing side. Pivots to day to day of CDP
  • Day to day on Adam, for game development
  • They have big focus on Gwent
  • They have company they work with in China, sounded like Gaia but I didn't really catch it
  • For CP77 they released English and Chinese versions of the trailer, still learning China as market area
  • TW3 never had official release in China
  • Gwent got official release in China

How Gwent is doing?
  • Learning a lot from live game, GAAS, as company
  • Happy with how game is doing
  • Excited for full release later this year, will add SP campaign

Minigame like Gwent in CP77?
  • He doesn't know, a lot left to do with core game still

Did E3 gameplay demo of 77 require full dev team?
  • Yes, but demo is actually all out development build that they used internally for development. Not vertical slice just for E3.
  • Proud of their achievement, able to get build into this presentable state was big achievement from the team. From graphics to gameplay to stability of the build
  • They had to plan somewhat around E3, fit it into schedule so it gets done by X date.
  • Treated this as milestone. Didn't have separate team doing "vertical slice", but everyone working towards same goal and moving game forwards

When is next CP77 appearance?
  • Gamescom 2018.
  • What they show wont be what was shown in E3, something different / new.
  • Don't expect 100% new demo, but something different. New angle on things.
  • Doesn't say if this will be behind closed doors or public showing, but Jason also didn't ask

Post-release roadmap planned for CP77?
  • Not planned yet, first they want get core games release planned and done
  • Witcher 3 and its roadmap worked and did very well, something similar with with 77.
  • Don't expect less from us (CDPR). They don't want gamers pre-ordering anything they don't know about much or anything

Thoughts on MTX?
  • "By gamers, for the gamers" approach by CDPR
  • Different kind lootboxes, good and bad
  • BFront 2 made them all seen mostly as evil

Witcher is very Polish game, 77 looks American / European. Polish blood in this?
  • "Lets live American dream for little bit"
  • Maybe expect some Polish accent. Bottles of vodka.
Edit:

What gameplay ran on
6Q2tzAX.png

https://imgur.com/gallery/ag25Ll0

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
This part was a little eye-opening for me. I didn't actually know that overtime is unpaid in the US. That's terrible.

I imagine it varies from company to company, from contract to contract. In Poland law says that every company has to pay for overtime.

At least it's how they put it in interview.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. Really cool info overall.

It seems that game is due to release in 2020 at the earliest.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cannot wait for GamesCom. The CDPR press booth last year was amazing. Will book my appointment asap.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gives me optimism that the demo wasn't a vertical slice of bullshit that we are fed at E3s.
Which corrobates what everyone that saw the demo said, that there was lots of dialogue, most were skipped. Because it's a work in progress slice for the final game.

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
This part was a little eye-opening for me. I didn't actually know that overtime is unpaid in the US. That's terrible.

To get around this, they don't pay hourly for some jobs in the U.S. the employee will be paid by salary. There is a specific cutoff on the salaried amount where you are legally obligated to pay overtime. I think it is in the high 40k or low 50k range. But the salary command by developers usually outstrips that by a decent amount so those companies aren't required to pay overtime at all.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what system specs were when running this build. I imagine something along the lines of a 1080 or up.

Oct 25, 2017
CDP + GOG is 800-ish people, 600-ish people working on development, 100-ish on Gwent and 500-ish on CP77?

Absolutely insane. Happy for them and how well the business is going. Damn, I still remember when I read the first preview for W1 in a local VG magazine. Great to see how much they've grown since then.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
They should really stop talking about crunch/union stuff, cause all that shit sounds terrible tbh

Just to be clear, overtime is absolutely typically paid for in the states, usually because you're a part of a union. It's the games industry where it's a big issue. Some of the general private sector too, but no, it's not like everyone working overtime here doesn't get paid for it.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't showing gameplay again behind closed doors at gamescom be kinda redundant? Majority of big and medium outlets sent their people to E3 so they saw it, if they have game ready for showing then show it to everybody.

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
They should really stop talking about crunch/union stuff, cause all that shit sounds terrible tbh.

Who should? Gaming industry? Because Marcin's answers, views etc. on the topic are shared by many in industry. CDPR isn't some unique case on that.

Wouldn't showing gameplay again behind closed doors at gamescom be kinda redundant? Majority of big and medium outlets sent their people to E3 so they saw it, if they have game ready for showing then show it to everybody.

If they do behind closed doors again then it's 100% aimed at European media and press, especially smaller outlets that will attend Gamescom while skipping E3 because of expenses.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Who should? Gaming industry? Because Marcin's answers, views etc. on the topic are shared by many in industry. CDPR isn't some unique case on that.

The devs are making terrible excuses and it doesn't really matter how many other studios have been indoctrinated to the point that they agree. The industry needs unions; anything being stated other than that values the creation of games over the preservation of people. It's not worth hearing.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Demo ran on an 8700K, 32GB RAM, GTX 1080 Ti.

Good luck and godspeed, current gen consoles.

Takes me back to how incredibly insane the first Witcher 3 reveals looked, then how it actually looked upon release.

I'm tempering my expectations now.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Takes me back to how incredibly insane the first Witcher 3 reveals looked, then how it actually looked upon release.

and you just know that even though PC has the hardware to run the game that it will be held back for consoles. i wish they had never confirmed it for current gen and waited for PS5/XB2.

Frostman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great Britain
Lmao, that system isn't too different to my current system! Time for an upgrade, Nvidia.

Edit; also seems like that Milestone we heard about was in-fact the demo.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you seen the outrage and people nitpicking over unfinished games acting as if it's already finished?
That's likely why. It takes a lot of work to have a playable slice that is in good shape since lots of elements are unfinished.
Well, BGE2 by ubisoft alpha footage don't get much outrage... At least I don't see none. I think the pc specifications are a bit exageration.
Hope more gameplays come.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if this really isn't releasing until around new consoles, there's no way I'm playing it on my X. I'll get the next Xbox first. Or PS5, whatever appeals more at the time.

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

Game is 1-2 years away from release, at least.

What was show was deep in development, everything unfinished with basically zero optimization done. They were throwing pure raw power at it to get it to run, according Digital Foundry, at 30 FPS. Most likely at 4k. Throwing its graphical presentation under the bus and yelling "DOWNGRADEEEEEEES!" from rooftops is tad premature, no?

Edit:
and you just know that even though PC has the hardware to run the game that it will be held back for consoles. i wish they had never confirmed it for current gen and waited for PS5/XB2.

No way CDPR will ignore huge current-gen install and user base. That would be just leaving millions of € on to the table for no good reason after insane development costs.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

It could end up like Dying Light where it's announced for current gen consoles and is eventually canned in favor of it releasing exclusively on next gen consoles. Mike Pondsmith said the game is still years away, so it's not releasing until at least 2020.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Counter poductive when they don't even know what those look like. Outside of spec and some udk builds. I'm tcan't abandon the huge market player base. Otherwise you get no install base. Outside of PC.

I would only ever play this on next gen console. For sure, but we need to see the severity of that scale back. Because it seems like they're doing their best to scale their game in a smart way.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It could end up like Dying Light where it's announced for current gen consoles and is eventually canned in favor of it releasing exclusively on next gen consoles. Mike Pondsmith said the game is still years away, so it's not releasing until at least 2020.
hopefully. i'd definitely ditch ps4/xb1 and wait for ps5/xb2

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

Pondsmith also cleaned up after himself later on by saying that he actually has no idea when this is shipping. CDPR isn't keeping him in on that loop just yet.

Sauce: https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/8q7evh/told_you_it_was_worth_waiting_for/

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't questioning what they should be running it on. Chill

I more so meant it in reference to the need for some new hardware, nothing else.
well what were you "lmao" at? if you have something similar to the best PC that money can buy then what do you think they were running it on?

anyway chances are that your specs will be too weak for the final game. this is the best they can run the game on right now but once it is further into development and has more optimisation then i'm sure the specs needed will be higher. have fun upgrading your PC.