• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you buy Cyberpunk on GOG?

• Yes

Votes: 514 66.3%
  • Yes, if the Steam version only would release three months later

Votes: 34 4.4%
  • Yes, if the Steam version only would release 12 months later

Votes: 12 1.5%
  • No, Steam or bust.

Votes: 117 15.1%
  • No, I'm not interested in buying Cyberpunk on PC (or anywhere) in the first place. Why am I voting?!

Votes: 98 12.6%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
Hypothetical scenario. I think they confirmed already it would release on Steam.

Highly anticipated game: Cyberpunk 2077. Let's imagine it would release exclusively (on PC) on their GoG store. Would you buy it there, or would you wait for a Steam version if there is a temporal exclusive, or just not buy it at all?

By the way, they already released their last games, Gwent and Thronebreaker only in GoG, with the notable difference that they released Thronebreaker a pair of weeks later on Steam, it seems because the sales were lower than expected for Thronebreaker. Although I believe they just overestimated how many people would buy it, just because they were Witcher fans (it seems not that many people were interested in a story based paid card game!)

The backstory of this thread is obvious. The real question here is, Can a exclusive big enough sway your current stance, in the case the stance is 'I only buy games on Steam' ?? And with a temporal exclusive, would you fall on the hype trap and buy it for release day?

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
If I buy it (probably won't) it would be on GOG.

My rule is: if it's on gog (and this one will be) then I choose them.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
GOG exclusive? No problem. I am going to pre-order Collector's Edition so I will have a GOG copy provided but if this was not a case I would still buy it on GOG because this game is day 0 for me.

At the end of the day, if the game is as magnificient as Witcher 3, then I wouldn't have a problem to buy copies on GOG, Steam and console because developers like CDPR deserve that support.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
If GOG is an option, I get it there. Usually no DRM so I don't have to even worry about booting steam, just hit the game icon from the start menu game folder box I organized.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I want the game, and I would be willing to buy on GOG, as I did with The Witcher III.

N64rob

Banned
Dec 6, 2018
To be honest, if I had the choice i'd buy it on GOG for all the extras you normally get on the platform. E.g soundtrack, artwork etc especially with cd project red games

Oct 29, 2017
If it was a third person game I would be tempted to use steam for the steam controller, but not if it is first person only. So GoG seems fine, I don't use all of the features of steam.

OP
OP
Turin Turambar
Oct 26, 2017
Obviously, I hope people are honest. Which can be tricky, as it's very easy to believe you totally would maintain your stance until you really are in that sticky situation, with a big and anticipated game coming and you not being able to play it.

I think the best is to try to see your past behavior. Were you a big Battlefield fan but stopped playing them once they were Origin only? And what with Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2?

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but GOG is a different store from Epic or Bethesda launchers and stuff.
GOG has a special hook, that is, no DRM in their games. And they integrate very easily with Steam so I can keep using Steam features.

I would prefer to have it on my Steam library, but I've already bought Witcher 2 and 3 in the past on GOG.

I did not like what they did with Thronebreaker though (forced Exclusivity)

Obviously, I hope people are honest. Which can be tricky, as it's very easy to believe you totally would maintain your stance until you really are in that sticky situation, with a big and anticipated game coming and you not being able to play it.

I think the best is to try to see your past behavior. Were you a big Battlefield fan but stopped playing them once they were Origin only? And what with Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2?

I stopped playing Battlefield games when they went to Origin.
I still buy Battle.net games. I never had the expectation of Blizzard placing their games on Steam. They had their own network and APIs that they used in their games. Their ecosystem makes sense for them.

Origin, uPlay, Bethesda.net and Epic store can all go burn somewhere else.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would only buy on Steam if it was discounted there. If a DRM-free version of the game is available on GOG there is no reason to acquire it on Steam unless you care about slight convenience more than DRM.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk is a killer app for me, so yeah.

Don't have any problems with GOG though, just like to have all of my games on one platform.

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
Since I game on Linux my only choice is Steam (Since the game won't have a Linux build and I have the Proton thing) and also because there is no GO Galaxy Linux client for auto-updates.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

I see what you're trying to do here, but here's the thing: GOG brings something to the table that none of the other storefronts do by promoting DRM-free games. You also do not need to download any sort of launcher to play GOG games if you don't want one.

So it's not nearly the same scenario as the Epic Launcher.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yeah if I'd have to I'd do it without a problem, I bought Thronebreaker too. Though I could maybe wait three to six months atleast if Steam release was confirmed for that time. I prefer Steam over any launcher, but if I want to play a game I'll play a game.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
I'll buy the cheapest version of the game I can get 3-4 months after launch. Unless the CE is the best shit ever, but I doubt it.

OP
OP
Turin Turambar
Oct 26, 2017
Yes.

I see what you're trying to do here, but here's the thing: GOG brings something to the table that none of the other storefronts do by promoting DRM-free games. You also do not need to download any sort of launcher to play GOG games if you don't want one.

So it's not nearly the same scenario as the Epic Launcher.

Yes, I know at least GoG have a defining, exclusive feature: DRM free games. Although, I will add it still doesn't have many of the Steam features that people always bring up in this kind of conversation and I have in the last days (family sharing, bpm, linux, etc)
I'm not trying to compare -exactly- with the Epic Launcher scenario, it was a bit more general: Origin, Epic Launcher, Bethesda Launcher which is also in the news, Blizzard launcher, etc.

Not buying anything on GoG ever again.
I'll probably buy CP2077 used on console.

Wow, what happened with GoG?

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Friendly reminder: CDPR Games are DRM-Free on steam too

GOG would have to offer something more for me to choose it
Timed exclusivity would just piss me off, but since it's their own game I would be less annoyed.
I have all the Witcher games on GOG

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Yes, also Cyberpunk2077 is confirmed on Steam.

I'd buy on GOG to support CDPR.

OP
OP
Turin Turambar
Oct 26, 2017
Friendly reminder: CDPR Games are DRM-Free on steam too

GOG would have to offer something more for me to choose it
Timed exclusivity would just piss me off, but since it's their own game I would be less annoyed.
I have all the Witcher games on GOG

Knowing them, a more plausible scenario would be offering goodies (soundtrack, pdf art book) and throwing $4 credit for your GoG account.

Deleted member 33597

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Sure. I've got nothing against store exclusives as long as the store isn't hot trash. To my knowledge the only one that doesn't meet that criteria is MS's Windows Store but I've never tried it so I can't say for sure.

Deleted member 15497

Oct 27, 2017
If it was exclusive and I wanted it I'd buy it and add the .exe to STEAM as a non STEAM game and play it like that.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I need the game Day 1, so I'd get it on GOG if it's a timed exclusive the. But I'd rather just buy it on Steam.

DRM free is cool and all but previous CDPR games have been DRM free on Steam as well and when I played Thronebreaker on GOG I just realized how much I miss some Steam features when they aren't there. Also the collection aspect, I have all other CDPR games on Steam, so I'd prefer to have Cyberpunk there as well.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
No, I don't support developers like this. Gog account is nuked for a good reason, and it's not gonna come back.

Linkyn

Oct 27, 2017
GOG is a really solid platform. If it'd been around for longer, I'd probably have the myjority of my digital PC library on it. I only tend to stick to Steam because I already have so many games on it.

Furthermore, I personally take no issue with publishers choosing to release their titles through their own launcher / store. I was mainly annoyed at Origin in the beginning because it was a bad launcher, not because it meant I wouldn't be able to buy my Bioware RPGs on steam anymore.

What would bother me a lot more would be if titles not developed / published by CD Projekt ended up being exclusive to GOG. This is my primary point of contention with what Epic is doing at the moment. I feel they should be confident enough in their service / platform to draw in consumers without having to lock what might otherwise be multiplatform titles to their ecosystem.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I even bought Witcher 3 on GOG over steam because it is DRM free there.
Will do the same with cyberpunk.

The thing about other stores is: they have to give me, the costumer, a good reason to miss out on Steams excellent refund policy, native DS4 support and family sharing. Those stores have to have something else (like DRM free games), a great exclusive (like "old" mass effect) or greatly reduced pricing (like the ability to trade in achievement coins for 20% discounts on uplay Europe).
Take epics new store: great for Devs getting a better cut, but what's in for me?

Oct 29, 2017
The most important factor at the end of the day is that it is their own game imo. No one would blame Epic for locking Unreal Tournament and whatnot under their own launcher, at this point we have mostly accepted Origin as well, although not everyone , but it is not the same as using indies instead of your own IP.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Three strikes thing with their transphobic/gamergating Twitter. A bunch of people closed their GoG accounts the last time it happened.
But you still gonna get the game, used at that right? I'm just trying to understand the where you draw the line on not getting cdpr game at all