• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you buy Cyberpunk on GOG?

• Yes

Votes: 514 66.3%
  • Yes, if the Steam version only would release three months later

Votes: 34 4.4%
  • Yes, if the Steam version only would release 12 months later

Votes: 12 1.5%
  • No, Steam or bust.

Votes: 117 15.1%
  • No, I'm not interested in buying Cyberpunk on PC (or anywhere) in the first place. Why am I voting?!

Votes: 98 12.6%

• Total voters

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Gog, Steam and Blizzard are the only launcher I use so yes I would. I bought Witcher 3 there too because it was cheaper for me than Steam at launch.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I will be buying it on GoG. There's no reason to give Valve 30% of the cut when GoG does everything I need. I have never cared about collectibles or achievement points.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Certainly. CD Projekt is a great company and I want to support them in every way I can, so I'll definitly buy Cyberpunk 2077 on GOG, in any case. Actually for me CD Projekt has generated so much trust that I'll preorder Cyberpunk day one despite the fact that I'm generally against preorders.

Speaking of GOG: in fact, I generally buy absolutely everything on GOG if it's available there, as the no-DRM practice is very commendable and I want to support it.

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But you still gonna get the game, used at that right? I'm just trying to understand the where you draw the line on not getting cdpr game at all
When people on the internet say they aren't buying X game over something, especially such a big game, they usually get it day 1. I'm sure all those red dead "boycotters" sure enjoyed the journey of Arthur.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I bought TW3 specifically on GOG because I wanted the most oamount of money to go to CDPR, will do the same here.

I hate their GOG twitter BS though as of late, but the idiot was fired and let us hope that they stop utterly and completely with that junk.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I bought Witcher 3 on GOG, if I remember correctly it was like $30 compared to Steam. Since then I've bought a couple other games on there so I see no reason why not.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
They do this 4$ credit often?
It's some kind of regional pricing. Or let me put it like this. Devs often make their prices $=€ but $=€ isn't the case anymore. E.g. 60€ is $68 which makes the game more expensive in Europe. GOG gives you the difference as credit to use on future GOG purchases. The whole thing is called Fair Price Package.

It usually isn't the case for CDPR's own games since they already account for the difference when making their prices. Thronebreaker is $29.99 in the US and 25.89€ in Europe.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Before the Twitter bullshit I'd be more likely to buy it on GOG even with a Steam release.
Now, not sure.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I don't give two shits where I buy a game. If I want to play the game, I'm not going to skip it over some petty launcher bullshit.

Well, GOG doesn't require you to use a store launcher for the game at all, so there's even less bullshit involved. I think you brought the wrong discussion to this thread though.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Not sure that's what this is actually about.

What else would it be about? Is the real question, would I buy it on GOG as opposed to refusing on principle because of exclusivity? Because that's not an issue in my mind.

I want to play games, and will be them where it's most convenient if given the choice...but I'm never going to not buy a game over whether it's available widely/on a specific platform.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
For now I avoid GoG and shop elsewhere. 12 months from now? We'll see. It's never too late to learn a lesson and make a positive change. If they can demonstrate they've done that, then sure. But if it released today, then no, I'd buy elsewhere.

This has nothing to do with the weird "no Steam, no buy" mentality we're seeing lately though. I already have multiple launchers installed and try to shop where it benefits developers the most. I want to reward the devs who produce the games I love, and the publishers who front the cash for them, not the middleman who takes a big cut just for selling it on to me. But being transphobic and pro-Gamergate trumps all that, and GoG is on my avoid list until they prove they've changed that stance.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
The real question here is, Can a exclusive big enough sway your current stance, in the case the stance is 'I only buy games on Steam' ?? And with a temporal exclusive, would you fall on the hype trap and buy it for release day?

you're using a bad example, since you know GoG isn't half bad - you can even use the DRM free executable and introduce it within the Steam overlay to get all the additional functionality.

Now, for a real question - would you buy Cyberpunk if it were on Epics launcher.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
It's some kind of regional pricing. Or let me put it like this. Devs often make their prices $=€ but $=€ isn't the case anymore. E.g. 60€ is $68 which makes the game more expensive in Europe. GOG gives you the difference as credit to use on future GOG purchases. The whole thing is called Fair Price Package.

It usually isn't the case for CDPR's own games since they already account for the difference when making their prices. Thronebreaker is $29.99 in the US and 25.89€ in Europe.
Ah I see, prices in my region are in line with US prices so I don't think i'll get any discount lol

Toucan

Oct 30, 2017
I'll probably go with Steam for this one, unless they offer a discount on GOG. I tend to choose GOG over Steam for smaller (in terms of file size) single player titles where I don't see myself using any of Steam's extra features. For those games I tend to archive the installer on an external drive for easy access later on. If the game is huge (which Cyberpunk is almost certainly going to be, I'm expecting 75GB+) then I'll have to download it anyway every time I want to install it. In those cases, I almost always go with Steam.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Well, GOG doesn't require you to use a store launcher for the game at all, so there's even less bullshit involved. I think you brought the wrong discussion to this thread though.

Then I'm clearly just totally confused, because I don't understand why else we'd be talking about "would you buy thing X if it were exclusive to GoG?"

Either it's about the "I won't buy things not on Steam" thing, or what...are we talking about their fuck-ups on Twitter? Because that's not mentioned in the OP at all, and is a wholly different conversation than the multiple storefronts/launchers issue that seems to be a hot button thing now with Epic.

OP
OP
Turin Turambar
Oct 26, 2017
you're using a bad example, since you know GoG isn't half bad - you can even use the DRM free executable and introduce it within the Steam overlay to get all the additional functionality.

That's less on the platform and more on the particular game. For example you also could use a DRM free executable... not for GoG but from Epic launcher, and introduce it withing Steam overlay, as you have mentioned. I think most launchers don't force any DRM at all, the DRM is decided by the game developer.

What GoG does it assure you the game you are buying for them is DRM-free, because they don't put games with DRM in their store in the first place.

Oct 29, 2017
iirc TW3 was $47 at launch on GoG because of the discount of owning the previous titles. A similar discount would also mean I would go GoG. I never found any negatives on the launcher compared to steam other than I don't have all my games on the same library. But that was never the case anyway since I also play on consoles.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I may be grabbing this one on console depending on how the various version turn out, but if I do buy it on PC I'll buy it from whoever's offering the best price when it comes time to make the purchase. If that's GoG, then that's fine by me!

I agree that their social media guy is/was a dipshit, but I don't think i need to punish the whole company due to the actions of their twitter account. In much the same way that my gay friends fucking love Chick-Fil-A because it's delicious, even if the owner of the company is very much against their way of life. We see no problem with separating the product from the people.

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
I really like GoG but I only have the free games that they've given me there for now, actually most of the time they have lower prices on the games I want compared to steam, thing is, I'm in love with my pro controller and I don't think they have added pro controller support yet? I just don't feel comfortable with a dualshock 4 anymore and I don't have a Xbox controller so I would have to buy one or they would have to add pro controller support. Either way, yes, I have no problem using their launcher or supporting them. Both Valve and GoG have done a great job making games affordable and easy to use to people that are not in the US/EU, it's a shame that a lot of people in resetera can't see beyond their bubble.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
I would if i can use Steam 'the client' to run it and still enjoy all the features that i get from Steam 'the client'. Im a living room PC player so the controller configuration and BPM of Steam 'the client' is pretty important and none of the other clients offer nearly as much benefit to me.

Thats the deal for all of these other competition stores. I want more stores, and if the clients that came with them were as good as the one im used to then hooray, ill buy it. But if not then its a wait for it to hit Steam deal for me, or if its not coming to Steam then its a pass.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Do you guys know that Steam sells a game about the fascist president-elect of Brazil in which you kill LGBTQs, blacks, leftists and women? And that even after countless reports the game is still up?

Of course I also strongly condemn those GOG tweets, but I find it funny that people are willing to boycott GOG for that while still buying stuff on Steam - a store that actively gives a platform for hate speech.

_6-7Ijo-ABR2YBk7Oeao64FLLAHwK_wPQun-2tR5DOE.jpg

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Three strikes thing with their transphobic/gamergating Twitter. A bunch of people closed their GoG accounts the last time it happened.
Wasn't the guy doing that fired? And yeah, like the poster above me pointed out, Steam has it's fair share of garbage games. Have you boycot that as well?

nickfrancis86

Nov 10, 2017
I will buy a game on whatever platform it's available on when I want it. People complaining about other store fronts or launchers need to get a grip.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll Pre-order it as soon as the pre-orders go live. Did the same thing with witcher 3.

Helps that Witcher 3 was pretty cheap. 43euro if both 1 and 2 were in your account.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
My current stance is « I don't buy anything digital » period unless it's at a very steep discount or DRM free.

So steam games are part of humble bundles or it's GoG that gets my money

Except for Bnet games obviously but those are as good as free for me

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
Yeah, sure. I have plenty of games on there. I intend to buy Cyberpunk CE and that will most likely come with a GOG code included, same as TW3 CE. It's also a way to give CDP 100% for their product and get a drm-free game, so win win.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
The problem doesn't begin or end with that one guy in my opinion.
And yes, I haven't bought anything on Steam in almost two years.
Fair enough. I respect your decision to stick to your beliefs like that! I refused to play Kingdom Come: Deliverance for that very reason. Even though that game was made by way more than just one person, I was left with such a bad taste in my mouth that I simply couldn't force myself to do the whole "separate the art from the artist" bit.

tomd96

Jul 6, 2018
I've already got a pre-order for the physical PC version that I expect will come with a GOG code (Witcher 3 GOTY did). ÂŁ34.99 and won't be charged until dispatched so it's easy to change my mind though.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Best thing about GoG is once you buy a game and download the installer, you can essentially forget about where it came from. It's the most you can own a digital title

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Fair enough. I respect your decision to stick to your beliefs like that! I refused to play Kingdom Come: Deliverance for that very reason. Even though that game was made by way more than just one person, I was left with such a bad taste in my mouth that I simply couldn't force myself to do the whole "separate the art from the artist" bit.

I had a problem with Dan Vavra as well, and yeah - even though KCD wasn't made by that one guy, the fact that the studio is content with him being their spokesperson is damning enough.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
That's less on the platform and more on the particular game. For example you also could use a DRM free executable... not for GoG but from Epic launcher, and introduce it withing Steam overlay, as you have mentioned. I think most launchers don't force any DRM at all, the DRM is decided by the game developer.

What GoG does it assure you the game you are buying for them is DRM-free, because they don't put games with DRM in their store in the first place.

I dont think the Epic launcher supports what you're suggesting (launching their game through another launcher) but don't quote me on that.

I'm well aware of what GoG does, and its a highly flexible and consumer friendly solution. It's not the dilemma you present it to be.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind either. GoG is good. I'll just buy the game wherever it's the cheapest, like I always have. The exception to this is Epic's moneyhat 3rd party exclusives, those I won't buy unless they end up on steam. Primarily because unlike other stores you can't buy Epic store games for cheaper price elsewhere.

Last edited: