• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you buy Cyberpunk on GOG?

• Yes

Votes: 514 66.3%
  • Yes, if the Steam version only would release three months later

Votes: 34 4.4%
  • Yes, if the Steam version only would release 12 months later

Votes: 12 1.5%
  • No, Steam or bust.

Votes: 117 15.1%
  • No, I'm not interested in buying Cyberpunk on PC (or anywhere) in the first place. Why am I voting?!

Votes: 98 12.6%

• Total voters

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
  • I have over 200 games on GOG, and other DRM-free games on itch.io and Humble, so I am not opposed to buying games on storefronts other than Steam when they are DRM-free. DRM-free games do not require me to use a third-party client, and generally integrate well with Steam - though you do lose some of the community features.
  • I would consider Cyberpunk 2077 to be a "first-party" exclusive to GOG rather than them having paid the developers for that exclusivity, so I am generally less opposed to that even if I would still prefer that it was not exclusive to their store.
For those reasons, I would not be opposed to Cyberpunk 2077 being exclusive to GOG, compared to the third-party exclusives that Epic is buying up.
However I have had bad experiences with GOG support, prefer to keep my "current" games library on Steam where possible, and after their recent incidents on Twitter and how they have handled that, I would prefer not to continue supporting them as it sounds like the issues go beyond the one person that was fired.
As I understand it, GOG are a subsidiary of CD Projekt, just like CDPR are, so supporting Cyberpunk 2077 is not supporting GOG if you buy it elsewhere—at least not directly.
I'm quite conflicted over Cyberpunk 2077 as it's probably been my most anticipated game since they announced it, but at the very least, I do not want to buy it on GOG.

And yes, I haven't bought anything on Steam in almost two years.
But are you still primarily a PC gamer, or have you moved away from PC rather than Steam?

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
But are you still primarily a PC gamer, or have you moved away from PC rather than Steam?

It's a bit of both. I play mostly on consoles nowadays, and my PC games come from Origin, Bnet and MS Store, sadly. I realize it's almost impossible to be a primarily PC gamer and not use Steam.

Edit: forgot about Uplay

From the recent troubles with GOG twitter post and their firing of the person who were doing those post I'm ok with GOG as long as they improve on their message and not trip over again. There in a position of doing better than Stream where they are just being careless.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yes

GOG's client is optional and it offers DRM free setup executables, so even if it's not your first store choice, you don't have to ever use it again unless you want to pick up patches. It's my only choice anyway for pc as I don't like DRM.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I'll buy it on GOG as I have done with all CD Projekt RED titles. However, if it was exclusive, I actually might not since I'm firmly against the idea of locking games behind 'exclusive' storefronts.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Hypothetical scenario. I think they confirmed already it would release on Steam.

Highly anticipated game: Cyberpunk 2077. Let's imagine it would release exclusively (on PC) on their GoG store. Would you buy it there, or would you wait for a Steam version if there is a temporal exclusive, or just not buy it at all?

By the way, they already released their last games, Gwent and Thronebreaker only in GoG, with the notable difference that they released Thronebreaker a pair of weeks later on Steam, it seems because the sales were lower than expected for Thronebreaker. Although I believe they just overestimated how many people would buy it, just because they were Witcher fans (it seems not that many people were interested in a story based paid card game!)

The backstory of this thread is obvious. The real question here is, Can a exclusive big enough sway your current stance, in the case the stance is 'I only buy games on Steam' ?? And with a temporal exclusive, would you fall on the hype trap and buy it for release day?
Unless this gets locked to a 3rd party store, it's not an issue, is it? If this is a veiled Epic Store thread, the difference is CDPR owns GoG and CDPR is a developer and publisher of Cyberpunk while Epic is locking down 3rd party game.

As to the original question, I own Witcher 1-3 on GoG and 1&2 on Steam, so whatever works, it really doesn't matter. I do hope GoG doesn't go with exclusivity though because it's annoying. They didn't for Witcher 1-3. Gwent I can understand since there is underlying infrastructure they are using.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
GoG doesn't have regional pricing for my area and that is why games are very expensive there compared to steam. I will wait however long it takes to come on steam and buy it there or else buy the physical console version.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Sure, since GoG's platform doesn't suck.

It has cloud saves, achievements, various overlay features, the no DRM policy etc. and seems genuinely interested in competing with Steam for consumer favor.
It also doesn't moneyhat indie exclusives and force them to be removed from stores they are already announced for.

The way the question is asked in the OP is misleading, IMHO.
  • GoG is a much better service for gamers than what Epic provides.
  • GoG has earned some trust as a sustainable platform.
  • First party exclusives are not at all the same as exclusives generated by buying exclusivity for games already announced for other platforms.
It's not that a different exclusive game "sways" me, it's that GoG is a much better platform.
Not quite as good as Steam, at least for me, but not unacceptably under-cooked (and also not completely breaking compatibility with all my third party tools like UWP does) so I don't mind.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only have a couple of games on gog and they eventually came to steam too. I actually meant to cancel my account there when all of their twitter fuckups were happening, so no I won't be buying cyberpunk on gog.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's my only option, sure. I have a few games on already on GoG. It's not my favorite launcher\platform, but it's totally fine (see reasons Durante listed above).

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It depends. If there are cheap keys from resellers (Instant Gaming, cdkeys.com, etc) for Steam I'll buy a Steam key. If there are only GOG keys I'll buy a GOG key.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely.

I'm very keen on having viable competitors and alternatives to steam.

I like GOG.

All for them keeping their properties there.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
I used to be very fond of GOG. This has changed quite a bit with the drama around their problematic community manager which they handled in a terrible way (and other incidents before that). This has tainted their positive image quite a bit for me.

Next to the Humble store they are still the most important proponents for DRM-free software, which is very important to me, so I will still use their store, but I don't think I can sing their praises anymore.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I really like the fact that GOG Galaxy is an option, but it's not a requirement to run games I buy on GOG, so yeah, definitely. I've actually re-bought several games on GOG just due to the fact that they didn't require a launcher to run.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
What else would it be about? Is the real question, would I buy it on GOG as opposed to refusing on principle because of exclusivity? Because that's not an issue in my mind.

I want to play games, and will be them where it's most convenient if given the choice...but I'm never going to not buy a game over whether it's available widely/on a specific platform.

Again the OP uses the word "obvious" for a situation that isn't actually all that obvious, especially when not everyone reads every thread here. They could be solely focusing on the multitude of launchers that are now appearing, or they could be talking about this:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/eu...-employee-and-the-spectre-of-gamergate.85429/

I don't know if that's actually what they are referencing, but it's hard to tell what the actual intent is with some threads here at times.

If it's really just about launchers: I already have GOG Galaxy installed, so it's not like I would have to add another new launcher.

Last edited:

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer steam but i want them to have as much of the paid amount as possible.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Well, I already try to get my games rather from GOG than from Steam where possible. The DRM free games I can keep in a post GOG time. I fear my steam library, even the backups, will be useless post Steam. Also I value bringing lost games back more than gaming on a TV.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I canceled my GOG account following CD Projekt's failure to acknowledge and apologize for its transphobic comments on Twitter.
I'm not buying Cyberpunk 2077 anywhere until CD Projekt makes amends and makes it clear that those tweets were not in line with company values.

As for generally, I would buy whatever wherever.
It's a case by case kind of thing. If the company's alright, service/plaftorm works, has good policies and support, the basic features that I require, and plays the games, then we're good. I don't have a problem with Origin, Uplay, didn't have one with GOG.

I'm not exactly going to jump on any new ones, like Epic. So far they've only been good to developers.
Bethesda and Microsoft is not good competition. I avoid those the best I can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Turin Turambar
Oct 26, 2017
Sure, since GoG's platform doesn't suck.

It has cloud saves, achievements, various overlay features, the no DRM policy etc. and seems genuinely interested in competing with Steam for consumer favor.
It also doesn't moneyhat indie exclusives and force them to be removed from stores they are already announced for.

The way the question is asked in the OP is misleading, IMHO.
  • GoG is a much better service for gamers than what Epic provides.
  • GoG has earned some trust as a sustainable platform.
  • First party exclusives are not at all the same as exclusives generated by buying exclusivity for games already announced for other platforms.
It's not that a different exclusive game "sways" me, it's that GoG is a much better platform.
Not quite as good as Steam, at least for me, but not unacceptably under-cooked (and also not completely breaking compatibility with all my third party tools like UWP does) so I don't mind.

It isn't my intention to equate GoG with say, Epic game launcher.

Although I agree my poll is flawed, as lots of people who are voting for GoG, they do it because they didn't have anything against GoG in the first place. What I am more interested is in the people who only play on Steam and it isn't interested into using a new store.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I voted steam or bust, but only because I hate artificial exclusives as a concept. So it is not really a question of Steam in particular; I want the game to be available everywhere like Witcher trilogy was - retail, gog, steam , origin, uplay, all the other sites.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
GOG Galaxy is fucking trash, and after they shit they pulled with Thronebreaker. No, I will never buy from GOG again.

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017
I have no problems with gog. I'll get it from which ever store that sells it the cheapest (including third party stores).

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I voted steam or bust, but only because I hate artificial exclusives as a concept. So it is not really a question of Steam in particular; I want the game to be available everywhere like Witcher trilogy was - retail, gog, steam , origin, uplay, all the other sites.
So how does that work for you with artificial Steam exclusives? GoG is owned by the same group that make Cyberpunk, so if they chose to make it an exclusive there (they aren't, but hypothetically), it's only the same as Valve making Portal 2 exclusive to Steam. And multiple third party publishers have historically been Steam exclusive too. Bethesda made Skyrim and Fallout 4 exclusive to Steam for example, before switching to their own launcher for exclusivity this year. So I'm genuinely curious why you hold the "Steam or bust" opinion if artificial exclusivity is a problem for you when Steam does exactly the same thing?

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
GOG always gets the preference.

I know that the Steam version will probably be DRM free aswell, but GOG offers extras and more download options and well if I'm out to support DRM free stuff, might aswell do it on the store that has said policy upfront.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So how does that work for you with artificial Steam exclusives?

How do you think it works? I don't like it either, eventhough I understand it. But it is one of the reasons why I like CDP more than Valve in this respect, since CDP were always platform agnostic. Their Thronebreaker stunt was a shame, I am glad they reconsidered and hope they will not try doing it again.

GoG is owned by the same group that make Cyberpunk, so if they chose to make it an exclusive there (they aren't, but hypothetically), it's only the same as Valve making Portal 2 exclusive to Steam. And multiple third party publishers have historically been Steam exclusive too. Bethesda made Skyrim and Fallout 4 exclusive to Steam for example, before switching to their own launcher for exclusivity this year. So I'm genuinely curious why you hold the "Steam or bust" opinion if artificial exclusivity is a problem for you when Steam does exactly the same thing?

Bethesda was never steam store exclusive. They always sold their games everywhere (except GOG due to DRM-free stance), even if they used Steamworks.
So I bought most of their games outside Steam, actually.

As for using Steamworks - as long as Steam is the best platform on the market with most features, I have no problem with companies using it.
If Valve however started paying third parties to make their games Steam exclusive, then I would be criticising Valve, just like I criticise Epic now.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Bethesda was never steam store exclusive. They always sold their games everywhere (except GOG due to DRM-free stance), even if they used Steamworks.
So I bought most of their games outside Steam, actually.
Yeah, you're falling for a common misconception regarding their launcher. Sales aren't locked to their launcher alone. You can still buy RAGE 2 and Fallout 76 from all the same places as you could buy Skyrim and Fallout 4. But now Steam's store location has been replaced by the Bethesda store location, and rather than needing to register and launch the game through Steam, you need to register and launch the game through Bethesda's launcher. The number of places you can buy from is the same, so if you normally shop outside of Steam your purchasing habits won't be affected. The only change is registering the key you buy through a different launcher.

Their games are Bethesda launcher exclusives because you can't play them without installing their launcher.
Skyrim and Fallout 4 were Steam exclusives for the same reason - it's impossible to play those games without installing Steam.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Are we doing market research for GoG?

Though I voted yes, I'd probably only favour it if they provided some incentives.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
Are we doing market research for GoG?

Though I voted yes, I'd probably only favour it if they provided some incentives.
Historically they often provided more goodies as extra. I think it was not the case with TW3 but I do not have the game on Steam to check.

And since they get all the money, they will have more money to invest back into making even better games that fit my taste. That has always been my biggest incentive to buy on GoG.

Same as paying full price for games and devs/pubs that I like.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you're falling for a common misconception regarding their launcher. Sales aren't locked to their launcher alone. You can still buy RAGE 2 and Fallout 76 from all the same places as you could buy Skyrim and Fallout 4. But now Steam's store location has been replaced by the Bethesda store location, and rather than needing to register and launch the game through Steam, you need to register and launch the game through Bethesda's launcher. The number of places you can buy from is the same, so if you normally shop outside of Steam your purchasing habits won't be affected. The only change is registering the key you buy through a different launcher.

Their games are Bethesda launcher exclusives because you can't play them without installing their launcher.
Skyrim and Fallout 4 were Steam exclusives for the same reason - it's impossible to play those games without installing Steam.

I am not falling for any misconception and I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I am. I know full well that Bethesda games are going to be selling in some other places outside Bethesda Store - although not on Steam and GOG.

My problem with them is that Bethesda Launcher has zero credibility and zero useful features so I do not want to touch it with my credit card or a ten foot pole.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
But now Steam's store location has been replaced by the Bethesda store location, and rather than needing to register and launch the game through Steam, you need to register and launch the game through Bethesda's launcher.

For me that makes it an easy decision. Bethesda's launcher is massively inferior to Steams and so i wouldn't be buying from it. Steam offers so much more for me as a customer.