• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so technically there was a (very short) thread on this interview already, but I've both seen a ton of confusion around the topic this article addressed, along with people (seemingly including the previous thread poster?) originally thinking that Destructoid faked their report, so I thought it would be good to repost this with more information and clarification.

Summary:
  • Cygames held an hour long presentation at E3 covering two of their upcoming console games: Granblue Fantasy Re:Link (IIRC ~50%/50% co-developed with Platinum) and Project Awakening (entirely made by Cygames to our knowledge)
  • This presentation was helmed by Cygames' Director of Western Marketing, David McCarthy, who explicitly approved the information in the Destructoid article for release
  • Destructoid was not allowed to report on everything they saw, but to repeat, did get explicit approval to talk about everything listed below, and did not fabricate or lie about their article, the interview, or the existence of the presentation
  • Cygames has had a major mobile success almost every year since they were founded, causing them to have huge amounts of cash
  • Cygames' CEO is a big fan of doing all sorts of things, so they've since expanded into music, plays, anime, sponsorships, manga, and of course, console games
  • Cygames is hoping to expand more heavily into the West with "big, beautiful console games" including Granblue Fantasy Re:Link and Project Awakening
  • For Granblue Fantasy Re:Link, Cygames feels the quality of their art, characters, and storyline, combined with Platinum's action game experience, will make for a product that appeals to audiences worldwide
  • Granblue Fantasy will be released in Japanese, English, French, and a few additional languages. This information comes directly from Cygames' Director of Western Marketing and was directly approved for release by him twice. This is an official statement from Cygames for all intents and purposes. This is not a statement fabricated by Destructoid.
  • This was all that Destructoid was allowed to report on for Granblue, but they were very impressed by the demo they saw. The game will be shown again publicly in December.
  • The other game they showed was Project Awakening, which is a "1% complete" game that they showed a clearly next-gen tech demo for. The game is being built on an engine led up by the technical director of Fox Engine. The game is photorealistic instead of anime styled, and stars relatively normal looking people. The general idea is to mix WRPG game design ideas with Japanese action combat. It's a fantasy title where knights fight dragons and the like. We've had a few threads on this so I'm not rewriting too much here.
  • They have several other console games in development that they imply are also slated for Western release, but either they didn't show them here, or they aren't allowing anyone to talk about the games. We know from one of the producers they hired recently that they intend to unveil a new console game this year that's targeting 1+ million sales, and is presumably part of this initiative.
Source: https://www.destructoid.com/cygames-has-conquered-mobile-now-it-s-coming-for-consoles-511778.phtml

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder since they think its good for the west will they put it on xbox one? This game would look great on the X

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder since they think its good for the west will they put it on xbox one? This game would look great on the X
They noted that it was "currently planned" for the PS4, so I'm suspicious they intend to increase the number of platforms when it heads overseas.

They were talking about playing it on PCs when they first announced it as well.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Great, should have been obvious though since it seems like a big RPG and making it Japan only doesn't make sense, is this a 2019 title btw?

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Incredibly happy to hear the multi language support. Can't wait for the game, it looks to be shaping up to something fantastic.

Can't wait to see more of Project Awakening, too!

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
One of the games I'm most looking forward to.

I should also start playing mobage soon since there's Precure collab ^_^

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
It's being headed up by one of the creators of the Fox Engine used in the most recent Metal Gear Solid titles.
The game is still years away from completion and the video I was shown of it -- featuring a man fighting a dragon-type beast -- would be difficult, but not impossible, to create on modern console hardware.

project awakening might be next gen?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Next info of the game, including the final title (Project Re:Link is working title) will be revealed at Granblue Fest this December.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Very happy to hear about this

Project awakening sounds very exciting too, we should hear about it in a couple of years.

Oct 27, 2017
Wishing for the best, a new big actor in the JRPG market is very much welcomed. I mean if you count on Bandai Namco and Tales of to push the boundaries and put some pressure on Square Enix, well. Hopefully we get a big new demo on December.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it doesn't go the way of Dragon Quest XI with a hyped up game people have been craving/asking for that no one will buy on release

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
They recently added dub voices for most of the heavy hitters of the cast in the recent Shadowverse expansion.

Also, since most of the characters come from the same Multiverse (Rage of Bahamut/Shadowverse/Granblue) there were already some with dub voices already.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They noted that it was "currently planned" for the PS4, so I'm suspicious they intend to increase the number of platforms when it heads overseas.

They were talking about playing it on PCs when they first announced it as well.
I remember that. Hopefully it can I feel like Monster Hunter paved the way for some games

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I've been following this company's console ambitions for a while now.
So far I have to see big results so I'm def looking forward to the December update.
Let's see how it goes.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So, um, Zone of the Enders 2 is a fan project ? Some Cygames producer loved the series and just decided to make a great package of the game because they have too much money to spend ?

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I wonder how limited their ambition to be successful in the west will prove to be when the aesthetics of the games are very "anime"

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
So this does raise the question though of, well: Who is localizing and/or publishing it?

I mean yeah they may have localized Granblue on their own AFAIK but Console game localization and publishing is a very different beast from Mobile - Unless they plan on going with Bandai-Namco's favorite strategy of just putting English subs option in the Japanese release and expecting people to import.

Also source-link in the OP is dead.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So this does raise the question though of, well: Who is localizing and/or publishing it?

I mean yeah they may have localized Granblue on their own AFAIK but Console game localization and publishing is a very different beast from Mobile - Unless they plan on going with Bandai-Namco's favorite strategy of just putting English subs option in the Japanese release and expecting people to import.

They already have a fully localized with full English voice acting game in Shadowverse, which would be similar.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
If only we could play Granblue on iOS here. I'm actually surprised they are localizing it but I guess PlatinumGames are used to their games not selling a lot.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

as i mentioned before, most of the key cast members were dubbed in the latest expansion in shadowverse which was a granblue themed expansion. Other extra cast members are also part of the greater Rage of Bahamut multiverse so might have been voiced in previous expansions.

edit. The voices were also dubbed for the anime as well.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Shadowverse is super big in japan, and it also has a big push in marketing in western countries but I'm dubious as to whether or not it actually resulted in a strong playerbase in the west. They keep pumping hits but the west is still a weak point. Nevertheless if we're not talking about raw player count but whales, I think the west has to be pumping quite some money into their games.

Yes this was known. They have infinite money so the just funded it.

Yeah that's interesting. I had a take that their rebranding of ZoE down to the logo might mean a ZoE3 down the line but maybe nothing will come out of it.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
YES!! So stoked to finally hear confirmation of this! Really excited to see more of it and Project Awakening, although I doubt we'll see anything of the latter anytime soon.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
In Japan, very much so. In the West, not tremendously, but they are the biggest CCG on Steam by quite a margin, and have some success on mobile.

The game made $100 million in its first six months.

Things also changed after they implemented leader cards. I know during the last financial report Cynet released, there was a huge huge huge spike after they relased the expansion with the first leader card.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
In Japan, very much so. In the West, not tremendously, but they are the biggest CCG on Steam by quite a margin, and have some success on mobile.

The game made $100 million in its first six months.

How I have I never even heard of it? Crazy.

I know Granblue is huge but I thought that was there only huge success. Also confused on why i still can't download it on iOS in U.S.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn ok Cygames; I'm checking for you guys now. I really hope their ambitions materialize and pan out for them. Granblue does look great and Project Awakening sounds intriguing.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Wow they seems to be coming hard to the AAA console scene.
Hope it pays off, GBF looks aces.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If they make PC port, I hope it's day and date with console.
Especially since Cygames is damn rich, they should be able to afford it.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Ah, I said it on the other thread to the person who through it would never come to the west ! Co-developped by PlatinumGames, and the game is ambitious af. Of course it would come to the west.
Nice to have a confirmation.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how limited their ambition to be successful in the west will prove to be when the aesthetics of the games are very "anime"

Their ambition is clearly there, but any success they'll get in the west in future will be due to equal amounts of effort, money and lady luck. Their competition is always snapping at their heels.