• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh reviewers... "Too much of everything" says one. "a beautiful shell with not enough to fill it" says another. So which is it?

I'll just do what I usually do and go with my instinct and that instinct tells me that I'll enjoy this game quite a lot (I played both demos).

I also noticed:

I wanted to like Daemon X Machina, but as I played, I kept wondering how much more fun it might have been if the developers had zeroed in on some of the more enjoyable elements instead of providing so many customization options and wrapping everything in such a convoluted story.

and

Daemon X Machina zeroes in on its own vision and realizes it as best as it can. It is bright and energetic and filled with character, and those are the qualities you need to carry a curious, new generation of players into the fray long enough for them to find their footing in such a niche style of game.

Heh.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
These scores are in-line with the Armored Core series. Looks like the old 'fans of the genre' line holds true for this one.

Oh reviewers... "Too much of everything" says one. "a beautiful shell with not enough to fill it" says another. So which is it?

I'll just do what I usually do and go with my instinct and that instinct tells me that I'll enjoy this game quite a lot (I played both demos).

Strange that people can think different things about a game...

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
A 70 average was about what I was expecting. I'll be giving the new demo a whirl soon, the Prototype Missions demo was actually a lot cooler than I had expected based on the way people talk about it, but between Astral Chain and Luigi's Mansion 3 I just don't think I'll have the money to pick this one up for a while. I personally thought this was the most interesting announcement of 2018 too. It's a shame they sent it out to die in September, sandwiched between two more accessible games, instead of putting it in a month that might give it a fighting chance of doing well. I wonder if delaying this to February might have been a smarter move.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.

A big problem about review Culture is that there SOOOOO Much faffing around, trying to make the review ARTISTIC AND ELOQUENT. Total nonsense fills half the word count so they can get around the simplest expressions of "I liked it, I didn't love it, but I liked it," that lead to stuff like that.

It's infuriating, and it's the worst when it's a game that has a mix of good and poor qualities.

Everyone thinks they need to eat a jade egg to sound like Ebert, and they break their teeth in the process.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Austin Walker's review got me very excited. Loved him talking about it on the Beastcast last week.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I think the most frustrating thing for me with this game is that it's not bad, but you can easily see all the possible vectors of improvement which would make it a great game.

I can see myself still enjoying it, because like Austin I am into mechs and mech games, but not sure if it's a thing I should pick up at launch.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
some reviewers said the removal of dungeons in breath of the wild was a nice change of pace, but then different reviewers said they wanted more dungeons?

uhhhhh.... hypocrites much?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
reviews seem to be pretty polarizing but overall a decent result, the game seems to be getting some good praise here and there.

edit: added a few more reviews to the OP.

Last edited:

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About what I expected.

Little disappointing that the game relies on missions with those fodder enemies too much and saving the most interesting fights for the Mercenary /boss fight missions.

Man, some of those maps in the reviews look so beautiful. I can't wait to fight on the blue jungle map or the red and white one. Also glad to hear that the frame rate in multiplayer holds up.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
some reviewers said the removal of dungeons in breath of the wild was a nice change of pace, but then different reviewers said they wanted more dungeons?

uhhhhh.... hypocrites much?
? Reviewers aren't some monolithic entity that have the same opinions?

That's why it's best to read reviews and not just go off a score.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Playing the new demo now and it's certainly better. There's something very cool and compelling about customizing mechs. I might get this down the line.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
alot of people didnt even realize there was a little more to the demo than just the few story missions they gave u the demo did have co-op missions that alot of people missed.

I've heard that before. That's fair.

Yeah, I really liked the demo. Im pretty sure I will like the full game even more. The review scores mean nothing to me in this case.
Of course! And my post wasn't meaning towards you, but just in general. Sorry if it came across that way.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I didn't even know For Answer was 65 on metacritic and I loved that game. Wonder why these games score so low? Doesn't matter I was going to buy it no matter what lol. 72 is good enough for this kinda game.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
As per the usual I don't put much stock in reviews of robot games.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
That's better than nearly all Armored Core games (which western reviewers never liked), impressive.

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
7/10 is about what I expected. I love mechs (avatar quote) so I am excited to play this.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the reviewers liked the gameplay but think that the story is trash and some mission feel like a filler. That's why there are 6s and 7s, that's how reviews work. So basically if you are here for fighting mechs, customisation and flying around get this game.

I'm almost 20 hours in and can't stop playing, wish there were more people in multiplayer.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
God, this week is just too much. I'm already trying to juggle Celeste's DLC, Blasphemous, and GreedFall, and between the demo and Austin's review, I guess I'm going to have to find time for DXM as well.

And as someone who didn't get into mech games until somewhat recently, I'm also shocked that the Armored Core games have always had such middling reviews. I never realized critics were so down on them.

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
Better scores from the press than I expected! Good shit! Can't wait for the game to arrive!

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if online servers werent up and working as alot of reviews dont even mention the online play.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Some good scores there! Was immediately sold on this since the first demo and snagged it with those Nintendo Switch vouchers. Really excited to play this, but currently overwhelmed with the sheer amount of good quality games on Switch.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Though it looked awful the first time I saw it. Made my eyes hurt just looking at it.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if online servers werent up and working as alot of reviews dont even mention the online play.
They were working but finding someone was hard. Yesterday I created a room, waited for 30 minutes and found some French guy. Today after 20 minutes finished two mission with some Japanese guy and he left.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I sort of expected around 73 Meta so I am curious to see where it settles. For a Japanese mecha game, 70+ already puts it in the top-tier lmao.

Though it looked awful the first time I saw it. Made my eyes hurt just looking at it.

36244.jpg

There, have your avatar-quote.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really want this game, but I'm assuming it won't be on sale at all this holiday since Nintendo published it ;(

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Strange that people can think different things about a game...
This isn't someone liking a feature and someone not liking it. This is someone saying there's so much stuff and another saying there's no stuff. It's quantifiable and one of them is wrong, unfortunately we won't know which it is until we have our hands on the game.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
There are some really positive reviews(ironically some of the most positive don't have number rankings to influence the balance

I played and deleted the second demo because I'm ready for the full thing!

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
About what I expected. I played the feedback build and the demo and neither did anything for me. Just not my cup of tea I guess.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like an Armored Core game to me, I have too much stuff to play right now but I'm probably picking this up on Friday

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
lol These reviews read exactly how I expected except they're a lot more positive than I thought but they end up giving it a 7.

It's mostly because of the flow and structure of the game. People will find it repetitive going from the hangar, to the mission, to the hangar again. But this is this type of game. You either like it or you don't.

I'm reading the only review that matters to me and he really liked it so I'm good.

Can't wait to pick it up this Friday!

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't expecting this to get rave reviews considering the type of game it is but I have to say it's funny how Austin Walker is once again a bit of an outlier. Disliked Astral Chain a bunch when the majority loved it, loves this game when the majority are only "okay" with it.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Not surprised. Thankfully not as bad as Left Alive though, so I'll still consider this a mini-redemption for the mecha genre this year lol.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
One day people will stop defining 7/10 games as "bad" or worse, but this is not the day

Regardless, my Orbital Edition is coming fuck yeah. I did buy all three special editions of this month (Awakening, DxM and Astral Chain) but not Fire Emblem (lol). Will finish all of them anyway. I don't expect to do much of anything other than work and play this month lol.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love mecha games but I'm super surprised by the scores and recommendations because I thought the (first) demo was really awkward to control, the shooting and melee lacked punch, and the demo itself felt repetitive. Did a bunch of stuff change from the first demo?