• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I love mecha games but I'm super surprised by the scores and recommendations because I thought the (first) demo was really awkward to control, the shooting and melee lacked punch, and the demo itself felt repetitive. Did a bunch of stuff change from the first demo?

Yup, they took a ton of feedback to heart and improved the game significantly for the prologue demo proceeding the full release.

IF THE FIRST DEMO LEFT A BAD IMPRESSION, PLAY THE SECOND ONE, MOST CONCERNS WERE ADRESSED VERY EFFECTIVELY, AND YOUR SAVE DATA WILL CARRY OVER TO THE FULL GAME.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
In line with how most mainstream critics reviewed Armored Core games, so I'm not worried. Austin's is probably the only review of the bunch that matters to me in this space.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Austin Walker at Vice/Waypoint knows what's up.

10 hours in the demo and him saying the full game is an escalating version of that has sold me.

Day one.

TheCalcutec

IP Director @ Possibility Space
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I love mecha games but I'm super surprised by the scores and recommendations because I thought the (first) demo was really awkward to control, the shooting and melee lacked punch, and the demo itself felt repetitive. Did a bunch of stuff change from the first demo?

Yeah, absoltuely. That demo really was a way for them to get feedback, which they definitely incorporated into the final product. They released a trailer about all the changes they made, even:

Even just traversal feels way better than that initial release. It's worth downloading the new demo to test it out and see if it clicks with you, especially since progress is saved.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
The new demo is much better than the first. Can't wait to play this on Friday.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
This is probably as close to an Armored Core game as we're getting for a good while, so I guess I'm still in.

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I also noticed:

I wanted to like Daemon X Machina, but as I played, I kept wondering how much more fun it might have been if the developers had zeroed in on some of the more enjoyable elements instead of providing so many customization options and wrapping everything in such a convoluted story.

and

Daemon X Machina zeroes in on its own vision and realizes it as best as it can. It is bright and energetic and filled with character, and those are the qualities you need to carry a curious, new generation of players into the fray long enough for them to find their footing in such a niche style of game.

Heh.

This is why I don't put much into review scores.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Unintelligible cutscenes and anime tropes usually don't stop games from being reviewed well. I also don't understand what customization "blended together" means and how it is negative.

"I didn't take the time to fully understand the customization options because it seemed like there was too much going on there"

Which...I mean... complaining about that in a mech game? 🤔

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
DY1z5esX4AEUXTn.jpg

This genre still needs a huge hit. I'm sure a more polished game will come either this gen or next gen. It just needs to control like Anthem but be designed as an actual videogame or something closer to Pacific Rim.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
DY1z5esX4AEUXTn.jpg

This genre still needs a huge hit. I'm sure a more polished game will come either this gen or next gen. It just needs to control like Anthem but be designed as an actual videogame or something closer to Pacific Rim.

If this game was easier, had no hangar to go back to, a linear adventure game with more basic customization options (light rpg mechanics always gets them) and basic third person shooter controls for these giant ass mechs, it probably would've reviewed better.

I'm glad it's not that type of game.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
DY1z5esX4AEUXTn.jpg

Eh a real accurate Pacific Rim game would be closer to the GameCube/ps2/Xbox generation Godzilla game than a true mech game as it's generally 4 mechs and Monsters duking it out rather than massive armies of varied forces like actual mech games

Also there was a pacific rim game, it sucked

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I still find it annoying that people based the game on the first demo, which was called a beta and the developers asked for your feedback. You tested the game for them, gave them your feedback, they took it made the necessary correction, and released another demo for you to try, which apparently a lot of people who played the first demo didn't bother with. Even worse when they released a video months ago showing the improvements.

And this is why we can't have betas.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Day One I cant wait. Skipped Astral Chain for this and no regrets at all. Bring it on.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Has a mech game in this vein ever scored well? The Armored Core game's from From Software didn't review well at all to my recollection. It just doesn't seem like it'd be the kind of game most reviewers would be able to grasp these days

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Game resonates with me big time—my issue is that it comes out right next to borderlands and the week before Zelda. I want it...badly. But logistically I won't touch it yet. I want to support the creators but I also want to help my wallet. Any thoughts on the availability of physical copies? Anyone anticipate a Black Friday sale on this? I'm super conflicted.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
The story seems to be bad but the SixthAxis review mentions that it has some great characters. That together with the great gameplay is good enough for me to buy it, i also really liked the demo.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
I knew what I was getting into with the 1st demo. I already enjoyed it plenty then. And the final demo has solidified my purchase. Gonna preload it soon!

The review scores are kind of predictable because of this genre of game. Makes me a little sad, but there's plenty of interest for it in my social circle, so we good.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still find it annoying that people based the game on the first demo, which was called a beta and the developers asked for your feedback. You tested the game for them, gave them your feedback, they took it made the necessary correction, and released another demo for you to try, which apparently a lot of people who played the first demo didn't bother with. Even worse when they released a video months ago showing the improvements.

And this is why we can't have betas.
it's a tricky thing, imo. a good demo released long before a game's launch can really help if it makes a good impression on people. i think a huge part of octopath's success was because of the excellent first demo (the one with primrose and olberic). but a bad demo/beta can shape people's opinion negatively in a way that's hard to recover from.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It even has Armored Core review scores...

I can't wait. This game is the reason I bought a Switch in the first place.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So badly hoping this game is a commercial success. About once a year I go "goddamn I want to play a good, simple mech action game" and even with the recent trend of xbox BC, Mech Assault 1 and 2 have not been and still aren't backwards compatible. So I dig out my PS3 and play a little armored core for a few weeks.

Following this ever since announce, and loving both demos, I am QUITE hyped for this game. I don't see it getting above a 75 on MC, but it may end up my GOTY. I just hope it sells enough to make papa Nintendo happy.

And I quietly hope with the return of Battletech and Mechwarrior 5, Metal Wolf Chaos, and the release of Daemon X Machina, that we might be seeing more mech games in the near future. Too bad Left Alive couldn't be another point in favor of this.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, they took a ton of feedback to heart and improved the game significantly for the prologue demo proceeding the full release.
Yeah, absoltuely. That demo really was a way for them to get feedback, which they definitely incorporated into the final product. They released a trailer about all the changes they made, even:

Even just traversal feels way better than that initial release. It's worth downloading the new demo to test it out and see if it clicks with you, especially since progress is saved.

Oh, word. I'm gonna have to check the second demo out! Hype renewed?

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
This isn't someone liking a feature and someone not liking it. This is someone saying there's so much stuff and another saying there's no stuff. It's quantifiable and one of them is wrong, unfortunately we won't know which it is until we have our hands on the game.

Doesn't that also differ on a person to person basis. There may be a lot to do for one person but not a lot to do for another. Like, there could be game systems and customization elements that interest one player but feel like distractions to another, resulting in people getting a different feel for the value of the game. If you only eat the lettuce on a sandwich you're going to come away hungrier than someone who ate the bread.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
it's a tricky thing, imo. a good demo released long before a game's launch can really help if it makes a good impression on people. i think a huge part of octopath's success was because of the excellent first demo (the one with primrose and olberic). but a bad demo/beta can shape people's opinion negatively in a way that's hard to recover from.

Except one was a turn-base RPG, not an action game with a lot of moving parts.

And what's the point of even having a beta if it's going shape people's opinion of the game? Might as well not even bother the BS.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Doesn't that also differ on a person to person basis. There may be a lot to do for one person but not a lot to do for another. Like, there could be game systems and customization elements that interest one player but feel like distractions to another, resulting in people getting a different feel for the value of the game. If you only eat the lettuce on a sandwich you're going to come away hungrier than someone who ate the bread.
I would say yes except they're both saying extremes. Hard to believe what someone thinks is an "empty shell" another thinks is "too much of everything". If they had used less extreme descriptors I'd definitely say it's up to personal bias.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except one was a turn-base RPG, not an action game with a lot of moving parts.

And what's the point of even having a beta if it's going shape people's opinion of the game? Might as well not even bother the BS.
well i'm not disagreeing with you. i'm all for early demos and understand that games can get better over time and improve based on feedback, i'm just saying it's hard to change people's first impression of something. at least here they did a demo feedback trailer around E3 and shadow dropped a much better demo in the recent direct.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yea, those are mech game reviews alright. It would almost being worrying if there weren't a bunch of 7's complaining about the customization taking too much time or something.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It's a nice game but the gunplay isn't impactful enough for me to not feel repetetive after 4-5 hours. But if you're into mecha, this is really cool. Just skip all the silly dialogues, lol.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
How would turning into a TPS where you also happen to fly around help DxM become a better Armored Core style game?
If this game was easier, had no hangar to go back to, a linear adventure game with more basic customization options (light rpg mechanics always gets them) and basic third person shooter controls for these giant ass mechs, it probably would've reviewed better.

I'm glad it's not that type of game.
When talking about Anthem, I menat the precision of the movement while flying.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
well i'm not disagreeing with you. i'm all for early demos and understand that games can get better over time and improve based on feedback, i'm just saying it's hard to change people's first impression of something. at least here they did a demo feedback trailer around E3 and shadow dropped a much better demo in the recent direct.

Honestly expected that from the start since that's what OT did. My only issue is that they should have dropped the second demo sooner instead of a week before launch.

That and it's really annoying that no one paid attention to the feedback trailer and those who did brushed it off despite addressing most of the main issues outside of frame rate.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Reviews are pretty decent for this type of game.

I'd only buy this game on sale, but I can't really imagine retail copies staying at the MSRP anyway.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
But the silly dialog is the best part, just like Ace Combat and it's convoluted story

Naaah. I love AC, you see. But AC feels like a stupid movie. It has great cutscenes. And it has way less characters. Here too much story is told by text bubbles or just anime folks standing around. And you can't even remember who's who.