• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Daewon, publishing partner for Nintendo Switch's distribution in Korea, shared that Switch sold 92.975 HW Units, while selling 182,178 Softwares by Feb 25th, 2018.

On 2018, Nintendo Switch hw sales was at 37,226 units while software sales lies on 100,924 copies.

source

In case you are wondering if this sales data contradicts with NoK's report on 110k Switch sold on 2017, Daewon is NOT in charge of the entire distribution of Nintendo Switch in Korea. (analysts are estimating that Daewon is responsible of 50% of distribution)

Analyst predicted that Nintendo Switch sales will top 250k YTD 2018, since Switch is selling roughly 20k units a month. - source

Update

Daewon just gave updated figures on Q1 2018 Nintendo Switch HW & SW sales.

By Q1 of 2018, Nintendo Switch hw sales are around 53k, and sw sales are around 126k.]

Analysts reaffirmed Nintedno Switch sales topping 250k YTD, with continuing strong sales and sales boost during Children's Day and Christmas.

source

Combined with 2017's number of ~57k hw units sold, this roughly put the total units of Nintendo Switch distributed by Daewon at around 110k units.

Considering Daewon is responsible for 50% of the distribution, we can assume that Switch's LTD lies around 220k.

Last edited:

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive start for Switch, given what felt like a half-assed launch (no Korean E-Shop, missing some of the major titles at launch).

Jessmo24

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm surprised, that the console makers, haven't pushed for more games that are
Popular in Korea. An HD upgrade, to maple story, a port of Starcraft 2. And some other games would do well in Korea.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks sinonobu :) , about 182,178 software, physical only or with dl cards?

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Would be helpful to know how well other systems have sold in a similar timeframe in that market.

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
Would be helpful to know how well other systems have sold in a similar timeframe in that market.
Switch had a stronger start than the Wii,DS and 3DS but I don't think there are any numbers around. PS4 did about 50k in 6 months. Thou as Sinonobu has pointed out in the recent media create thread, PS4 started increasing after a better marketing push, along with other reasons.

Eightandh

Dec 29, 2017
Anecdotally, it sold out fairly quickly the week it came out here in Seoul, but was available fairly quickly afterward. There is a much stronger buzz around the switch than wiiu (which wasnt released) xboxone (rarely seen outside of specialty shops) and I think more than ps4, although I it seems Sony has been pushing it hard (opening dedicated stores in Gangnam and Yongsan, for example). I have even seen a few late-20s friends buying them after seeing TV ads, which I had never seen before.

PcBangs still rule the roost, though.

OP
OP
sinonobu

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally, it sold out fairly quickly the week it came out here in Seoul, but was available fairly quickly afterward. There is a much stronger buzz around the switch than wiiu (which wasnt released) xboxone (rarely seen outside of specialty shops) and I think more than ps4, although I it seems Sony has been pushing it hard (opening dedicated stores in Gangnam and Yongsan, for example). I have even seen a few late-20s friends buying them after seeing TV ads, which I had never seen before.

PcBangs still rule the roost, though.
The initial reception is indeed better than PS4. As Switch sold 110k in a month, while PS4 sold 50k in 6 months.

But like you know, Sony heavily pushed PS4 with constant localization/marketing/fan events/etc, which nintendo is currently lacking in.

And you forgot to add mobile in the end :)

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Starcraft 2 without keyboard and mouse? Get out of here m
PthbF3o.jpg

Surprisingly non-terrible.

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Purely anecdotal, but I was in Korea last summer to visit my girlfriend's family and I was surprised how many switches I saw.

At the time I wasn't sure it had even been released in Korea, but I saw multiple people buying Switch games at Yongsan Electronics Market. Also, I noticed I wasn't the only Switch player on our Seoul-Jeju flight too (the same on my London-Seoul flight, but the players were likely foreign tourists).

I previously thought that a combination of anti-Japanese sentiment with a lesser history of console gaming (as compared to Japan and the West) would restrict the Switch's appeal, but that didn't seem to be the case at all. I now honestly feel that Korea is a sizable and wealthy growth market for Nintendo that will heap major rewards if successfully cracked.

OP
OP
sinonobu

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Purely anecdotal, but I was in Korea last summer to visit my girlfriend's family and I was surprised how many switches I saw.

At the time I wasn't sure it had even been released in Korea, but I saw multiple people buying Switch games at Yongsan Electronics Market. Also, I noticed I wasn't the only Switch player on our Seoul-Jeju flight too (the same on my London-Seoul flight, but the players were likely foreign tourists).

I previously thought that a combination of anti-Japanese sentiment with a lesser history of console gaming (as compared to Japan and the West) would restrict the Switch's appeal, but that didn't seem to be the case at all. I now honestly feel that Korea is a sizable and wealthy growth market for Nintendo that will heap major rewards if successfully cracked.
It wasn't out by then. Nintendo Switch released in Korea on Dec 1st.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised, that the console makers, haven't pushed for more games that are
Popular in Korea. An HD upgrade, to maple story, a port of Starcraft 2. And some other games would do well in Korea.
That ship has sailed many years ago - market is completely dominated by mobile by now.
Also it's not like consoles were never popular in Korea - NDS was practically as ubiquitous as mobile phones at its peak - but it was also a relatively short lived peak (an actual fad, if you will). Some of the responses I read about Switch are also suggesting it may go through similar adoption curve, but time will tell.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Korea is apparently a strong enough market for Nintendo that they partnered with a local department store in Seoul to open a Nintendo-branded shop similar to Nintendo NY. Lots of upside for Nintendo in this market.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

At this point a port of League of Legends or Overwatch would probably do a lot better for selling Switches than a port of Starcraft would. I can't remember the last time I saw someone playing SC at a PC Bang, it's all Overwatch, LoL, or PUBG these days (among random Korean MMOs like Lineage).

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point a port of League of Legends or Overwatch would probably do a lot better for selling Switches than a port of Starcraft would. I can't remember the last time I saw someone playing SC at a PC Bang, it's all Overwatch, LoL, or PUBG these days (among random Korean MMOs like Lineage).
Stereotypes. People think Korea will play Starcraft forever, lol.

Also, Lineage would be a great get for Nintendo as it's very popular in Japan too (will never happen tho).

OP
OP
sinonobu

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Korea is apparently a strong enough market for Nintendo that they partnered with a local department store in Seoul to open a Nintendo-branded shop similar to Nintendo NY. Lots of upside for Nintendo in this market.
That was actually Daewon not NoK.

And it has been very profitable since it's opening on December according to Daewon.
Stereotypes. People think Korea will play Starcraft forever, lol.

Also, Lineage would be a great get for Nintendo as it's very popular in Japan too (will never happen tho).
I mean Lineage is from NCSoft, the place where CEO was so impressed with BOTW that he bought his entire employees Switch with a copy of BOTW, so that they can learn from it.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was actually Daewon not NoK.

And it has been very profitable since it's opening on December according to Daewon.

I mean Lineage is from NCSoft, the place where CEO was so impressed with BOTW that he bought his entire employees Switch with a copy of BOTW, so that they can learn from it.
I don't believe in Nintendo of Korea being good at getting third parties tho. What korean games were released for Nintendo systems? lol

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017

Eightandh

Dec 29, 2017
The initial reception is indeed better than PS4. As Switch sold 110k in a month, while PS4 sold 50k in 6 months.

But like you know, Sony heavily pushed PS4 with constant localization/marketing/fan events/etc, which nintendo is currently lacking in.

And you forgot to add mobile in the end :)
I will never count mobile! Mostly because it is so ubiquitous that I forget. Even my 할머니 is playing mobile games...

I hope Nintendo pushes hard in Korea. It is such a dynamic market that everything can change practically overnight.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
http://thisisgame.com/webzine/news/nboard/4/?n=79798

Netmarble said Seven Knights Switch version is coming because Nintendo heavily requested it.

There's also War of Genesis 2 Remake which is going to be exclusive for Nintendo Switch.

Whoa whoa whoa! Hold the phone!

War of Genesis 2 is getting a remake? For the Switch?
Dude...
....duuuuuuudddddeeeee.....

I've actually always wanted to try this series but getting Korean PC games is super hard.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As discussed elsewhere the Switch is doing great but Nintendo needs to step up to really make sure they reach the market's potential.