• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
The installation instructions saying that if you are not careful you can brick your 3ds after mildly terrifying but anyway - just ordered physical copies of both games

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
The installation instructions saying that if you are not careful you can brick your 3ds after mildly terrifying but anyway - just ordered physical copies of both games
You have a higher chance of bricking your console during official Nintendo FW updates, and even if something happens, you are always able to restore the system using GodMode9, which you should have installed during the jailbreak process.

BhetjaXIV

Sep 8, 2018
Belgium
Huh, weird. Tried to use that Seedminer exploit on my 3DSXL and got to the flipnote thingie, but the face icon doesn't show....

Too bad, really wanted to finally put my copy of the game to use :(

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
You have a higher chance of bricking your console during official Nintendo FW updates, and even if something happens, you are always able to restore the system using GodMode9, which you should have installed during the jailbreak process.
Thanks. I'm going to give it a shot, though I'm pretty sure I'm going to fuck something up :)

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Probably not going to hack my 3DS, but I'm very interested in watching a Let's Play of this. I know this new translation patch is very recent, but has anyone started one yet on YouTube or anything?

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Wish there was a mobile version. I don't want to bring out my 3DS with it's puny resolution and sound.
Edit: Lol so dumb, right after I post this I see they are also working on the Android version.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Would you say that DGS2 does a good enough job recapping the first game and reminding you about everything important, or is it a thing where you'll probably want to replay at least some key points to refresh yourself once the translation of the sequel drops?
The "unanswered questions" of this game are pretty easy to keep track of but the first two cases in DGS2 are basically summaries of them. Kinda like 3-2 was a "Fey Family and Spirit Channelling" summary tucked away in a case.

But I'm sure that when the 2nd game's translation drops plenty of people (me) can post a list of the unanswered questions.

I finished the first case this morning and boy, that was a doozy. Asougi and Naruhodou were really cool, but the crime was far too uninteresting to be dragged out in the manner it was.

But steaks tho! STEAKS!!
And Naruhodo suddenly remembering a blood spot that Hosonaga NEVER noticed for some reason!

Yeah, the first case is really good with a great twist ending...but then it keeps going for another hour...

Last edited:

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
This is what finally got me to set up homebrew on my old 3DS XL... I was following this guide https://3ds.hacks.guide/get-started and while there are many steps to be done in a very specific order, in the end it seems to work. It seems that the best option is to upgrade the 3DS firmware to the latest version first as then everything can be done in software, without the need for the flash carts.

In any case, playing the game now, translation certainly looks very good so far. If I didn't know it's fan translation there is really nothing that gives it away as such.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered the game from Amazon JP. Will mod my 3DS following the instructions from the linked site in thread. Thanks

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a tutorial somewhere? This is the part I'm afraid

Do you already have homebrew set up on your 3DS? If no, the follow this guide first: https://3ds.hacks.guide/get-started. Probably the easiest is to upgrade the firmware on your 3DS to 11.9 and the follow the Seedminer process on that page.

Here is also a video that describes the first part of the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJZYBS_eeLY, but after this you still need to do the "Finalizing setup" part from the above page.

When this is all done, then follow the steps 1-5 from the github page for the translation patch: https://github.com/ScarletStudy/DGS1-3DS-Release. After the patching is done, the patcher will generate a CIA file which you then install via one of the apps that were set up in the first part of the process (FBI). After this, you can simply run the game normally.

It's just hard to summarise because there are a lot of steps in the process but if you follow them exactly there should not be any issues. I did it today without having any knowledge about 3DS homebrew before this.

BhetjaXIV

Sep 8, 2018
Belgium
Finally got it to work on another 3DS ! :D

cPHFGgb.jpg

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Do you already have homebrew set up on your 3DS? If no, the follow this guide first: https://3ds.hacks.guide/get-started. Probably the easiest is to upgrade the firmware on your 3DS to 11.9 and the follow the Seedminer process on that page.

Here is also a video that describes the first part of the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJZYBS_eeLY, but after this you still need to do the "Finalizing setup" part from the above page.

When this is all done, then follow the steps 1-5 from the github page for the translation patch: https://github.com/ScarletStudy/DGS1-3DS-Release. After the patching is done, the patcher will generate a CIA file which you then install via one of the apps that were set up in the first part of the process (FBI). After this, you can simply run the game normally.

It's just hard to summarise because there are a lot of steps in the process but if you follow them exactly there should not be any issues. I did it today without having any knowledge about 3DS homebrew before this.

Thank you so much!

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember wanting to buy this game but then I lost interest, if I did I would use patch. I'm still not interested to buy it unless is really cheap also lol Capcom is probably not going to bother with this now that there is a patch, not that they ever did.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You don't need to hack anything, just copy the luma files to a new SD card.

Wait....can you elaborate? I don't need to go through the entire hacking my New 3DS xl process to play this?

I literally just want to buy the japanese versions of Dai Gyakuten Saiban 1 & 2, apply the English Patches, and play them on my NA New 3DS XL. Not interested in homebrew or any other aspects of hacking the system.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Wait....can you elaborate? I don't need to go through the entire hacking my New 3DS xl process to play this?
Oh no, it's just that once you hack the system, there's no need to do so again, as the process is permanent and just uses the SD card to read CFW files.
(So if your SD card goes kaput, you just replace it with another one, copy the CFW files on it and are good to go)

except i don't have anything, my hack was really old, that was even before luma
Ah, ok, weird that you didn't update to AL9H/BS9, there was no reason not to...

Feb 12, 2019
It turns out this is probably the thing that would make me softmod a 3DS or deal with Android emulators. It's like, pitifully easy to do that stuff these days, right?

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
They haven't, but the DLC is just mini skits, it's nothing like AA5 and AA6's full cases.

You can't buy them without a Japanese 3DS anyway. They were also never released for the mobile versions.

Ah I wasn't sure if there was anything like those full cases. I still would've liked to be able to check them out, but that's understandable.

Oct 25, 2017
That was for the best price version, right ?

Pretty good deal in the end as it seems to be 8000 yen now, shipping included.
That was for the individual Best Price versions of DGS1&2 separately.

h4ow79l.png

I wanted the double pack that came with the soundtrack sampler, but it cost quite a bit more at the time.

I was worried that if I waited for the full release of the patch, it would be sold out.

Oct 31, 2017
That was for the individual Best Price versions of DGS1&2 separately.

h4ow79l.png

I wanted the double pack that came with the soundtrack sampler, but it cost quite a bit more at the time.

I was worried that if I waited for the full release of the patch, it would be sold out.

The best price banner is killing me :(

DGS2 has two what-if mini-cases like AA6's joke ones. I'm not sure if they're available on the eShop.

Is one of them something tied to this "Asoberu! Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 Vol. Set" DLC ?

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The best price banner is killing me :(

Is one of them something tied to this "Asoberu! Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 Vol. Set" DLC ?
I don't remember but even so, you'd probably just get a download code that you'd have to enter in the eShop to download and I think modded 3DS's can't access the JPN eShop?

And you can get copies without that "Best Price" nonsense plastered everywhere.

DGS1
Amazon

DGS2
Amazon

Oct 31, 2017
I don't remember but even so, you'd probably just get a download code that you'd have to enter in the eShop to download and I think modded 3DS's can't access the JPN eShop?

And you can get copies without that "Best Price" nonsense plastered everywhere.

DGS1
Amazon

DGS2
Amazon

Yeah, I saw all the versions available on amazon jp :)

Did the first game get DLC too ? If so, was the DLC even translated ?

I was also wondering if you could access the JP eShop with a modded US/PAL 3DS but it sounds like that isn't a thing.

everything about it made me wish that I bought the double pack, they look horrible in person lol

Yeah... Ugly as fuck.

Why no "best price" sticker and be done with it, Capcom ? :(

Last edited:

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I guess those were pretty optional, then ?

Yes. Again, they're nothing like the full DLC cases that were in AA5 and AA6.

DGS1's DLC is just concept art/music and a series of non-interactive skits (think the DLC for Layton vs. Wright, except without the puzzles) and DGS2's is two 15-minute mini-cases. They're charming, but nothing necessary.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if it can work on Citra. I'd rather play it on that than homebrew my 3DS yet again. I already have a physical copy of the game anyway.