• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
Yes. Again, they're nothing like the full DLC cases that were in AA5 and AA6.

DGS1's DLC is just concept art/music and a series of non-interactive skits (think the DLC for Layton vs. Wright, except without the puzzles) and DGS2's is two 15-minute mini-cases. They're charming, but nothing necessary.

Nothing lost on DGS1 then (is it a free download like L vs AA?) !

Were the two mini-cases in DGS2 tied to the "Asoberu! Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 Vol. Set" DLC ?

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if it can work on Citra. I'd rather play it on that than homebrew my 3DS yet again. I already have a physical copy of the game anyway.

I haven't tried this version, but the previous version did work, at least there didn't seem to be any obvious issue at the beginning with the gameplay. The only issue was for some reason somewhat poor framerate in the cutscenes. But there have been several Citra updates since I last tried, so it may be fixed by now.

Edit:

Based off Citras website, the compatibility and reports say its OK. Apparently issues with sound slowdown and also slowdown during cutscenes. So not ideal.

As above, can confirm that this is an accurate assessment. The sound/cutscene slowdown is rarely noticeable during normal gameplay, but cutscenes definitely stutter noticeably.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried this version, but the previous version did work, at least there didn't seem to be any obvious issue at the beginning with the gameplay. The only issue was for some reason somewhat poor framerate in the cutscenes. But there have been several Citra updates since I last tried, so it may be fixed by now.
Based off Citras website, the compatibility and reports say its OK. Apparently issues with sound slowdown and also slowdown during cutscenes. So not ideal.
Thanks, so maybe I'll wait a while and see if it's running better. Citra, from what little I've heard, has been making big improvements quickly these days. I still haven't played AAI2 anyway...

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, that's them IIRC. But unfortunately the code was only valid for a year after release, so even if you found an unopened first-print run you couldn't use it.

Pretty weird to me how they feel the need to put an expiration date on something like this.

I guess expired codes are truly expired in Japan : I did use one for Mass Effect 2 years ago and it worked :D

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
Dusted off my old 3DS to install homebrew on it and it works like a charm. Amazon.co.jp is also a surprisingly cheap way to get a physical copy of the game. Costs only 25€ including shipping fee (to Germany).

I've worked on the English -> GErman fan translation of AAI, so I know how much work this is. So I really appreciate Scarlet Study's efforts to bring us this quality translation!

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So how 'safe' is modding my 3ds system if I don't want to lose access to online/the eshop? I'm not risking losing access to any of that, am I?

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
So how 'safe' is modding my 3ds system if I don't want to lose access to online/the eshop? I'm not risking losing access to any of that, am I?
3DS is perfectly safe to mod, Nintendo won't ban you unless you try to use pirated games online before release date.
Switch is where they got server security right.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Took about an hour to get all sorted (wanted to take it slow and be careful) but its a super easy process on the latest FW. Now I got the game loading fully in English :) Super happy with this, though can't help wish we didn't have to rely on fans to get this done (shakes fist at Capcom). Oh well, with this and AAI2 done, hopefully the team manage to get the translation done for the second Great AA completed and released eventually.

Oct 31, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
This one. But it's sold out now, when I bought it it said "only 3 more available".
It doesn't mention import fees, my order details look like this:

Ah yeah, the infamous best price version ! :D

Import fees hit you for any order higher than 22€ in France so I guess it's a little (?) higher if you order something from Germany.

I went for the special edition as it was on sale and cheaper than the standard version (3685 yen).

Fo any EU-bros out there that might do the same thing, if you buy that version, it'll be 51€ as a whole: 31€ for the game, 10€ for shipping and around 10€ of import fees.

Considering how pricey the shipping was, I ordered DGS2 as well :P Shipping was pretty much the same in the end and the import fees went from 10 to 13€.

Last edited:

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yeah, the infamous best price version ! :D

Import fees hit you for any order higher than 22€ in France so I guess it's a little (?) higher if you order something from Germany.
Considering how pricey the shipping was, I ordered DGS2 as well :P Shipping was pretty much the same in the end and the import fees went from 10 to 13€.

Seems like you missed my edit. ;) It's also 22€ in Germany, but they only claim fees from 5€ and up and with 25.78€ I am just below 5€ fees.

I don't mind the best price version, but maybe I should have gone for DGS2 as well to save shipping fees.

Apr 24, 2018
I bought Dual Destinies for my 3DS without ever playing Apollo Justice. Held off on playing it because I wanted to play Apollo Justice first. By the time Apollo Justice hit the 3DS coupled with its price point, I had lost a substantial amount of interest.

Now I'm interested in playing the series again, but at this point, I will wait for a likely inevitable Switch port. After playing through both Apollo Justice/Dual Destinies, I'd like finally to try out the Great Ace Attorney/Investigation games.

It's really been too long since I've played these games.

Oct 31, 2017
Seems like you missed my edit. ;) It's also 22€ in Germany, but they only claim fees from 5€ and up and with 25.78€ I am just below 5€ fees.

I don't mind the best price version, but maybe I should have gone for DGS2 as well to save shipping fees.

Yeah, I missed it ! :P

In the end, I ordered both games (DGS1 SE + standard DGS2) for 77€ so that's not too bad.

Now I'm interested in playing the series again, but at this point, I will wait for a likely inevitable Switch port. After playing through both Apollo Justice/Dual Destinies, I'd like finally to try out the Great Ace Attorney/Investigation games.

A Switch port of DGS1+2 isn't likely at all as those games didn't sell well or so I heard.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the DGS games sold bad/underperformed, so the series was canned. A Switch port, even from Capcom who loves to port is far from confirmed, and even if it does happen, that's still not 100% confirmation it'll be in English this time (you'd hope it would, but you never know).

Apr 24, 2018
Yeah, I missed it ! :P

In the end, I ordered both games (DGS1 SE + standard DGS2) for 77€ so that's not too bad.

A Switch port of DGS1+2 isn't likely at all as those games didn't sell well or so I heard.
Oops guess I wasn't clear - I meant a port for Apollo Justice as far as a port goes (so then I'll finally also play through Dual Destinies -_-, afterwards).

That's a shame, didn't know that the Great Ace Attorney games didn't sell well in Japan.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, the DGS games sold bad/underperformed, so the series was canned.

I don't think it was canned as the series was supposedly a duology from the start.

Oops guess I wasn't clear - I meant a port for Apollo Justice as far as a port goes (so then I'll finally also play through Dual Destinies -_-, afterwards).

That's a shame, didn't know that the Great Ace Attorney games didn't sell well in Japan.

Yeah, we'll get a second trilogy down the line. Classic Capcom :D

By the way, I thought AAI was pretty bad but it's a must if you wanna play the sequel which is the best AA I played till now (with the first one).

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've gone through the first three cases so far. First was pretty alright. The second and third have been excellent. I'm really impressed, and the translation has read very well so far. So excited to see what's left.

I also have to mention that the music is superb. Best AA soundtrack since the Layton crossover IMO.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
I also have to mention that the music is superb. Best AA soundtrack since the Layton crossover IMO.

DGS has a lot of great things. Imho setting, atmosphere, characters, music, presentation are all top notch. It's too bad the cases are really weak and the cases are the heart and soul of every AA game.
DGS1-4 has to be the worst case in the entire franchise, the only one I actually dislike. I didn't even dislike 2-3 or 2-1 (actually I think 2-3 is better than 3 out of the 5 cases in DGS).

But similar to AAI, apparently DGS2 gets so much better in every regard it's among the best games in the series. :)

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Kinda off topic but if I hack my 3DS that's still linked to the NNID I use for Switch, will I risk getting banned?

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Yeah, the music is insanely good. And once you put headphones on Hallelujah! Sad to think though that Dai music puts Iwadares work in 5/6 to shame.

Speaking of shame, for a game that came out prior to 6, Dai also puts it to shame technically and visually. The animations and personality are beyond top notch. Makes 6 (and 5,although that's before Dai) look so stiff in comparison.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Got my 3DS all set up but need to wait for my copy to arrive in the mail. Congratulations on the translation team getting this out there. Really amazing work

Edit: and yes, that Best Price! Stripe is going to kill me inside a little

Last edited:

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
You will be banned on 3DS but not Switch
BTW as you mentioned earlier, maybe a new Great Ace Attorney OT or something for ongoing gameplay discussion?

And oh man just finished case 2.

very bittersweet on the reveal. But great sound direction. The use of Asougis theme during Nikominas confession really drove home at how extremely unfortunate the circumstances were
fuck this is good.

Last edited:

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Part way through Case 4 and it's been quite a good experience. Translation and everything has been really solid. Only noticed one very minor error with spelling.

The game itself is quite good too, though rather depressing so far, even for a AA game and I've really been enjoying it overall. That said I have some issues with it.

Case 2 is just bummer City, in both a good and bad way. The circumstances are just beyond underwhelming for a major character death and by such a tragic, vulnerable and abused character to boot leaves you with just a really unsatisfying and hollow feeling. Which isn't totally bad, just a bit unexpected. Normally even in the most tragic cases there is usually a clear bad person who really does the deed, but not here. Just purely tragic and confused circumstances where everyone are left worse off when they didn't deserve it, least of all the guilty party.

I really like Sherlock, being a not so great detective is refreshing and amusing, but I despise everything about Iris. This Loli genius shit is just really gross and off putting. I really do not look forward to more of her in case 4 or 5 and the sequel.

van Zieks is amazing so far. He's everything I've wanted in a prosecutor but haven't ever come close to gotting in AA4-6. Dude is phenomenal and hope he continues on that path in this case and the next.

And of course there's the two main characters Ryuunosuke and Susato. I like both of them a lot. I like how reluctant and out of place Ryuunosuke is as an attorney, while still being determined and strong willed, while Susato is a great mix of really smart and competent while having her own little quirks without being negative or gendered. They make for a really solid pair. I wish they had the option to talk with Susato though when investigating like past games so we could get more of them interacting.

Oh and have you heard of the Great British Empire? How has your experience in this the Great British Empire been? We'll that's just how we do in this the Great British Empire. Yeah I really do not like that and how often it's said and repeated. It is very awkward and thrown about all the time. If this is how the JP game does things they may have been a bit too faithful in their translation.

Another annoyance is how characters just never remember anything. They constantly reference how they think someone said something or how they may have met someone but it's only been 2 minutes their time since they had that convo, or just a day since they saw said person. The game definitely feels like it's leading players a bit too much. Constantly reminding and dropping hints to things that really don't need it, especially 4 cases in.

Gameplay is solid, but lacks a real killer hook. Great Deductions are piss easy and a bit too convoluted for what they offer, but are at least entertaining. I really like the court room changes though with the Jury, Closing Statement and multi person Witness Statements, even if they too are used a bit too simplistically, so far. Kind of hoping their tells don't get so telegraphed in the future. I really appreciate how the game is much better at making evidence interactable than the recent AA games. There hasn't been anything too amazing in that regard, but it's nice being able to rotate and really mess with evidence and feel like you're a part of things.

Overall I'm liking this a lot more than AA5 or 6 even if it's not perfect.

Last edited:

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Case 2 is just bummer City, in both a good and bad way. The circumstances are just beyond underwhelming for a major character death and by such a tragic, vulnerable and abused character to boot leaves you with just a really unsatisfying and hollow feeling. Which isn't totally bad, just a bit unexpected. Normally even in the most tragic cases there is usually a clear bad person who really does the deed, but not here. Just purely tragic and confused circumstances where everyone are left worse off when they didn't deserve it, least of all the guilty party.

I really like Sherlock, being a not so great detective is refreshing and amusing, but I despise everything about Iris. This Loli genius shit is just really gross and off putting. I really do not look forward to more of her in case 4 or 5 and the sequel.

van Zieks is amazing so far. He's everything I've wanted in a prosecutor but haven't ever come close to gotting in AA4-6. Dude is phenomenal and hope he continues on that path in this case and the next.

And of course there's the two main characters Ryuunosuke and Susato. I like both of them a lot. I like how reluctant and out of place Ryuunosuke is as an attorney, while still being determined and strong willed, while Susato is a great mix of really smart and competent while having her own little quirks without being negative or gendered. They make for a really solid pair. I wish they had the option to talk with Susato though when investigating like past games so we could get more of them interacting.

But isn't that such an amazing character moment for Naruhodo? He's so PISSED at her, but knows he has to let it go. AHHH, It's so good and relatable!

And Van Zieks may not be the best rival character but he is absolutely the best "prosecutor". Dude doesn't give you an inch ever, he always backs his arguments up, and he always demands evidence for your arguments. Love every one of his animations.

Iris is boring with how static and generic her character is, but how is her being a genius "gross"?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
But isn't that such an amazing character moment for Naruhodo? He's so PISSED at her, but knows he has to let it go. AHHH, It's so good and relatable!

And Van Zieks may not be the best rival character but he is absolutely the best "prosecutor". Dude doesn't give you an inch ever, he always backs his arguments up, and he always demands evidence for your arguments. Love every one of his animations.

Iris is boring with how static and generic her character is, but how is her being a genius "gross"?
Case 2 is a love hate thing. Part of me loves how utterly tragic and pointless it is, while part of me hates it, mostly because it was quite apparent well before the end that there was no deeper twist and it was simply going to be a monumentally tragic misunderstanding which made reaching that conclusion somewhat undesirable and underwhelming. It's like knowing you're going to get hit in the balls if you step up to the plate without any other choice but to walk up to the plate and let it happen.

As for Iris, being a genius is only a part of what makes her gross. Her being very Loli is the core issue, but the genius part can play into that in a gross way. It's kind of like a different take on the 1000 year old dragon trope. Here is this over the top, 10 year old with pink hair and cutesy everything, but don't worry she's intellectually head and shoulders above everyone else. So instead of being really really old and just looking/acting juvenile, she's instead really that young but shown to be intellectually very advanced, at least in some ways. While I haven't seen anything overtly sexual in relation to her it still hits way too many of those check boxes and for no good reason other than to have this cutesy little girl character in a very fetishistic manner compared to like Pearl, Emma or Trucy who were just kids who happened to have cute, precocious aspects to their personalities/character.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have no clue what you're talking about at all and at a loss how you came to any of that.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised how quickly my copy of the DGS 1+2 pack came in. The "Best Price" banner on both cases is annoying but the bonus CD is nice. It'll give me something to do while I'm gone for most of the month.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Well, I just modded my 3DS and ordered a copy on ebay. Now I wait. Seems it will take 2-4 weeks for it to get to me, but that's fine. I still haven't beaten the newest one anyway. xD

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my more in-depth, spoilery thoughts on the second and third episodes.

I really enjoyed how this case handled the weight of Nikomina's crimes. Stroganov was ostensibly her accomplice, but even he had been lied to (he was led to believe the cat was solely responsible for Asougi's death). He was willing to go so far for her, risking his own position on the ship, as well as framing an innocent man for the killing. But when Holmes and Naruhodou reveal that Nikomina had to have been right in front of Asougi when he died, all Stroganov can do is drop his head in sadness. "Princess..." This was probably the most heartbreaking moment of the case for me. She couldn't even be honest with the people who raised her, but was scared enough to allow them to dirty their hands for her. It was ultimately this inability to trust in others that led to this incident. Which is why the final deduction, when Naruhodou reveals what Asougi's true intentions were, while that beautiful rendition of Asougi's theme plays, was so cathartic. He only wanted to help. And that's the spirit that Naruhodou chooses to carry forward when he takes up Asougi's katana.

Needless to say, I loved the entire final confrontation.

This was a thrilling trial. I don't have as many deep thoughts that I'm dying to get out right at this moment, but I will say that I love the duality between Naruhodou and Megundal. Before entering the courtroom, Naruhodou sees himself in Megundal. Somebody with nobody in their corner. This is Naruhodou's chance to be Megundal's Asougi. It goes from being a trial he wants to win for the sake of his evaluation, to something more. And then as the trial goes on, we learn that Megundal pursues a very predatory career. And then there's the whole evidence forgery situation. This was awesome to me because, while I did examine the omnibus in detail both before and after the recess, I definitely didn't check out the trunk in the former portion of the trial. When the trunk began to come up in discussions, I of course went to check it out. What I was able to notice though was the bloodstain on the floor of the omnibus, because I was damn sure it wasn't there before. This was extremely unsettling, and that feeling never let up. From Megundal's frightening tantrums to accusing Fairplay and Ladyfirst, unsettling is the only word I can really think of to describe how things felt. Just as unsettling was speaking with Megundal in the lobby following the verdict. He's all smiles, and why shouldn't he be? What a first client for Naruhodou.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Oh my god Case 3. An insane thrill ride that I had no idea which way it was really going to go

Like holy shit. Naruhodo really so conflicted and lost. And us the player too! Watching the Jury dip back and forth, and him making accusations that would put Megundal in danger. But ultimately, you just knew this wasn't right. But then when you see Ladyfirst's breakdown, like they were the guilty party, you totally think they're the murderers. But right, seeing Megundal's temper and reactions, as if he manipulated the entire thing. It dawned on me since I actually did check trunk in the first portion of the trial. So it was kind of the first WTF. But then, the lightbulb hits that it was very likely during the smoke bomb that there could have been tempering. Like case 2, we're left again with another rather hollow victory. I absolutely adore Takumi for making this extremely grey.

Last edited:

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
god cases 2 and 3 are so good

i've been waiting years to see more folks play them

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
From the OP, why would the sequel being a continuation of the story lead to review bombing? Isn't that generally what we want from sequels?

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
From the OP, why would the sequel being a continuation of the story lead to review bombing? Isn't that generally what we want from sequels?

Well, it's because DGS1's plot on its own is rather unsatisfying and leaves you hanging with a lot of questions.

Though this might not be the only point for the review bombing.

Rawky

Oct 26, 2017

From what I remember the first game left a lot of plot threads hanging and the story felt incomplete. It's fine if a sequel wants to build on a solid foundation, but if the original story ends with an incomplete arc it will leave a sour taste in people's mouths, especially if there's no guarantee of a sequel.
In short, the game felt incomplete.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah IIRC pre-release Takumi said "oh we'd love to make DGS into a series", but didn't officially confirm that and certainly didn't tell anyone "DGS1 is going to end with very little resolved", which it does. It left a real sour taste in a lot of fans' mouths, even those of us who loved the game otherwise.