• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
DO NOT CHECK THE ACE ATTORNEY WIKI IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. SPOILERS ARE RUNNING AMOK WITH NO PRIOR WARNING, YOU WILL GET IMMENSELY SPOILED IF YOU DO SO MUCH AS CHECK UNRELATED PAGES

--

DAI GYAKUTEN SAIBAN

ace-attorney-dai-gyakzrklv.jpg

Platform: 3DS, Android
Genre: Adventure Game
Director: Shu Takumi
Developer: Capcom​

PATCH

https://scarletstudy.gq/2019/03/30/3ds-only-full-game-release-android-slightly-delayed/

So, here are some things included in this (3DS!) release:
– A fully translated script, complete with all UI stuff and credits in English.
– A vast rewrite of episodes 1 and 2, with the number of ellipses cut down hard.
– Some miscellaneous fixes throughout the game.

In order to update your 3DS installation of The Great Ace Attorney, you'll have to download the new patch files and the new patcher from the Github release (see the bottom of this post). That last part is important, so don't skip it, please.

As for the Android release, we'll be making a new, small post when that's ready. But users who already have IrisMobile installed can just check it once in a while over the next few days, and it should let you know when there's a new release out.

Here's a list of things to be included in a future "fix all the things we messed up" release:
– Some missing minor features, like the 3DS's manual feature.
– Corrections on whatever issues are sure to pop up after I submit this post.
– MORE removed ellipses, woo!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I just played the first hour of this after picking up physical copies of DGS1&2 Best Price on an Amazon Japan sale a few months back.

I'm really happy that I waited for the Case 1&2 improvements as this is perfect. It reads like a professional translation and I really just can't wait to play more.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
So, do I need a Japanese 3DS and copy of the game to make this work then?

Oct 25, 2017
So, do I need a Japanese 3DS and copy of the game to make this work then?
You need a modded 3DS and physical copies of the games. Region for the system doesn't matter.

Alternatively, you can wait for the final version of the Android patch releasing soon and buy the Japanese version off the google play store with the instructions on the Scarlet Study site. The Android version also works on PC via Bluestacks.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You need a modded 3DS and physical copies of the games. Region for the system doesn't matter.

Alternatively, you can wait for the final version of the Android patch releasing soon and buy the Japanese version off the google play store with the instructions on the Scarlet Study site. The Android version also works on PC via Bluestacks.
Man... If that's what it takes, I guess I'll have to eventually. Want to hear what people think of this localization, since the AAI2 one was quite good.

Screw Capcom.

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What are the differences between the Android version and the 3DS version? And is the Android version landscape?

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Can't wait to try the second one. Watched the english translation of the first on youtube and it was pretty good.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Awesome news! Does this work with the digital version of the game? I don't want to pay too much with shipping and stuff.

Grath

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just played the first hour of this after picking up physical copies of DGS1&2 Best Price on an Amazon Japan sale a few months back.

I'm really happy that I waited for the Case 1&2 improvements as this is perfect. It reads like a professional translation and I really just can't wait to play more.

So I don't need the separate games, can I buy the 1+2 version? Or that has two cartridges?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for the full release so I'm excited to finally start it once the Android patch is out

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm nearing the end of case 1 and it is quite good. I love how Naruhodo acts in trial

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Did Nintendo ever give a reason as to why they never brought this over.
It's kinda weird.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The first one is like a prologue to the second game. I have a lot of qualms with the new systems, but I have to say the overall story is the best in the series.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
This isn't the best ace attorney game but I'm still glad that people get a chance to play it. AAI2 is my favourite ace attorney game though and the translation patch for it was really good too.

Really impressive that they managed to translate the entire game, that's really not an easy process.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's a damn shame between I2 and both of these we have to rely on the fans to bring them over.
On one hand, at least we're getting them. And at least AAI2 had fantastic fan translation, so hopefully that's also the case with DGS.

But on the other hand, it's really stupid that it's come to this. Capcom continues to dilute the notoriety of the Ace Attorney franchise in the West, and it only makes things harder moving forward.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea there was a nearly complete fan translation for this! Excited to play it soon. How hard is it to hack a 2ds?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Nice to hear. I have the previous translation patch installed on my smartphone, but haven't felt like playing it for some reason. This sort of procrastination is good because eventually I'll have both games, which is basically the full story, available in one go and it'll be just like the vacation in 2011 when I beat JFA and T&T back to back :)

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Did Nintendo ever give a reason as to why they never brought this over.
It's kinda weird.
Capcom never gave a specific reason but given Capcom's history and conservative attitude we can figure it's due to a few factors:

-The two GAA games sold pretty terribly in Japan, and the series was already on a discouraging decline at that point, not even getting physical releases overseas for the two most recent titles. The recent Ace Attorney Trilogy remake is going to play a big part in whether the series continues or gets shelved for a while.
-While the character 'Sherlock Holmes' is not an issue for copyrights, some of his later stories are. Some of which are referenced in these games. But more than that, the Conan Estate does love to challenge even safe use of the characters. Even if it's an easy win for Capcom to beat the Estate in court, that still costs a not small amount to do.

But ultimately the simplest answer is probably the best: Capcom doesn't think it's worth it. We love the idea of some dramatic, Hollywood reason why a company doesn't do something we like such as "it's the Conan Estate's fault!" with a 'villain' but you have to remember that AAI2 wasn't localized either and there isn't a single thing offensive or copyright related in that game that could hurt it or Capcom. Capcom simply didn't think it was worth it financially to put together the localization team again to bring it over.

Probably too much work to try and make a game as Japanese as this appear like it's set in America like they do with the main games.

Ugh. I'm really exhausted of the "Eat your hamburgers, Apollo" meme. Took a funny a joke and ran it directly into the ground until it was a bloody smear.

The factual relationship between Japan and England at the time is a massive part of the story.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! I expect great things from an Ace Attorney localization, so I'm excited to see how this stacks up.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Probably too much work to try and make a game as Japanese as this appear like it's set in America like they do with the main games.
If they were to localize this, it's very doubtful that they'd need to consider setting the game in America. The reasons for no localization are definitely elsewhere.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Capcom never gave a specific reason but given Capcom's history and conservative attitude we can figure it's due to a few factors:

-The two GAA games sold pretty terribly in Japan, and the series was already on a discouraging decline at that point, not even getting physical releases overseas for the two most recent titles. The recent Ace Attorney Trilogy remake is going to play a big part in whether the series continues or gets shelved for a while.
-While the character 'Sherlock Holmes' is not an issue for copyrights, some of his later stories are. Some of which are referenced in these games. But more than that, the Conan Estate does love to challenge even safe use of the characters. Even if it's an easy win for Capcom to beat the Estate in court, that still costs a not small amount to do.

But ultimately the simplest answer is probably the best: Capcom doesn't think it's worth it. We love the idea of some dramatic, Hollywood reason why a company doesn't do something we like such as "it's the Conan Estate's fault!" with a 'villain' but you have to remember that AAI2 wasn't localized either and there isn't a single thing offensive or copyright related in that game that could hurt it or Capcom. Capcom simply didn't think it was worth it financially to put together the localization team again to bring it over.

Ugh. I'm really exhausted of the "Eat your hamburgers, Apollo" meme. Took a funny a joke and ran it directly into the ground until it was a bloody smear.

The factual relationship between Japan and England at the time is a massive part of the story.
Talking about Miles investigation 2, is there a fan translated patch too?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I am an idiot and I still have hope that they will realease a port for the switch with a translation but that is really good news, I loved the AAI2 fan translation and I hope this is as good, screw Capcom for making us AA fans suffer so much without a localization