• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
For the love of god please someone find me a pun for the title

How does the localization compare to Ace Attorney Investigations 2? Is it even a localization effort, or more of a straight translation?

The names are not localized afaik but there is a real effort behind it, I found few errors though we were discussing the handling of some of the more offensive content that is present in the game just earlier.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say I love this game but the fact that almost everyone is a huge ass casual racist is as hilarious as it kinda makes me think that Capcom USA must have had their eyes popping out of their head if they ever considered it for localization
If nothing else, it sure is authentic.
zTc7352.png

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
In this game a lot of people are having prejudices against foreigners, so it makes sense to use "Jap" (which wasn't even that offensive back then). Actually in the images above, van Zieks is probably the worst one (calling them "despicable vermins"), despite not using the term "Jap".

Or in Juror 2's example, it would be weird if she were to say something nicer than that, considering she's already describing him as "tiny" and "yellow"...

But maybe it's just me as a non-native English speaking person. While I know "Jap" is a racial slur in English, I had to learn that as otherwise I would have used it as an abbreviation just like "jp.".

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Using j*p is definitely a contentious point, especially if the term in the original script wasn't as offensive. Going with "Japanese" still fits imo because you can infer that they don't mean it in a good way and are often riddled with adjectives. But I'm no localizer

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The usage of J** is, at best, an extremely insensitive localization choice. You really can't separate that word from what it has meant to Japanese people for so long.

Otherwise, I find the localization to be quite comparable to the Kenji 2 translation. Which is to say, it's not quite up to Capcpom quality, but it's very good in its own right. Generally reads well, and I never find myself having to reread anything for comprehension. I find myself chuckling at the jokes too, which is always a good sign.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah J** is definitely a questionable choice. I get their intention of wanting to highlight the racist and unwelcoming attitudes the Brits are supposed to be displaying, but it is very much a real slur and it wasn't present in the original text apparently so it's a pretty bold move on their part that may not have been the best choice. Overall I think the translation has been very good though. Nothing standout with that signature flair the official games have, but nothing about it says "amateur" or "fan." Outside maybe the strict adherence to the names, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Finished Case 4 last night and I'm a bit more mixed feeling on the game, but still positive overall despite that.
I like a lot about the game, though I've certainly highlighted my gripes with it quite a lot in this thread(though that's more about the modern series overall than GAA), but so far I'm just kind of underwhelmed by the cases so far as a whole. The fact that two cases have revolved around unfortunate circumstances and coincidence with no clear bad guy is kind of deflating. All the more so since the other two cases who had clear villains ended without any kind of satisfying resolution. I normally would be all for shaking things up and not just having the same kinds of plots setups, but something about how its handled here kind of leaves me unfulfilled. I think having 4 cases that all break the mold and are unrewarding is the main issue, and I get that's part of the greater narrative and journey for Ryuunosuke, but all the same it makes for a glum experience. I really want Case 5 to give me a real villain to nail to the wall but given people's comments on the games reception and how it's a duology tells me I should keep my expectations low.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Can't be arsed to try to get this to work myself but I'm curious. Anyone know of a good Youtube let's play? The less commentary the better.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Done with the fourth case.

I'm generally pretty charitable towards the filler cases in this series (3-3 and 3-2 are two of my all time favorites) but this one was pretty dull for sure. Straight off the bat, Souseki is just... a rather annoying character. I think it's neat that he's a real life figure, but he's probably one of the least likable defendants for me.

The biggest issue IMO is that the mystery just wasn't very exciting. The investigation was notably lacking. You never got to investigate the crime scene properly, for one. This ultimately makes sense once the truth of the case is revealed, but at the time it felt like a really strange omission. I couldn't imagine Naruhodou and Susato not trying to get a look at the scene, especially once they had Gregson eating out of their hands.

The trial itself was... okay. The stabbing ultimately had an extremely simple explanation, which led to a very small amount of evidence. Entering the trial, you had what.. one or two pieces? As each piece was added throughout the trial, you almost always knew immediately how it fit in with the case. This is occasionally a problem in other Ace Attorney titles, but it's never been as consistently an issue as it was in this trial.

I do have some positive takeaways though. After the third case, there was no way Naruhodou would be able to immediately recover and act like nothing had happened. His development was handled pretty well here, with Holmes giving him nudges in the right direction during the investigation phase. During the trial, I think figuring out that the stabbing was a tragic and completely unintentional act actually worked really well for Naruhodou's growth. As he said before starting the Garrideb Deduction, he doesn't feel that searching for the truth is something that will be in vain. Before finally accusing Joan of causing the stabbing, he sincerely apologizes to her, but he doesn't back down from that accusation for even a second. It's a far cry from the lack of confidence he showed towards the beginning of the episode. There's no clear villain, but he believes in his reasoning and in his client, and so he presses onward.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Damn the text speed is slow. Not used to it. It's really getting on my nerves. For all the things AA6 did wrong (which means like almost everything), at least it had the decency to let you speed through that shit fast enough.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Yay, the Android version's out. Time to download Bluestacks and figure out how to get that Japanese Google Play currency.

cbajd5

Oct 25, 2017
The English patch for the DGS2 demo is out too in that same newspost above, but you'll need an actual Japanese 3DS to download the demo itself from the eShop.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish the pacing was better. It's excruciatingly slow. You have to listen to Holmes' long and ridiculous deductions then proceed to correct them but you also have to hear the skit between the characters in between then listen to the whole thing again.

There is such a stark contrast between the beginning of the series and this game (and even GS6 by the GK team) pacing wise.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Alright, it took me a while to get it purchased, downloaded, and patched, but I now have the game working in English via Bluestacks.

It's kinda blowing my mind that I'm actually going to get to play The Great Ace Attorney for myself. This fanbase is amazing.

Rawky

Oct 26, 2017
Guys, help. I'm currently on mobile and I purchased a Google play card from PlayAsia. I've gotten my email verification with the invoice page, but I can't find the redemption code. On the order page there's a section that says "codes and downloads" and in that section is a spinning icon. Is the page trying to load the code? I've been on it for several minutes and have made no progress. What ways are there available to me to get the code?

Dreyarn

Oct 28, 2017
It's off center on Android for me :/, but this is still really cool.

qINslZY.jpg
You might want to search for fullscreen options in your phone settings.
This happens with some new widescreen phones, and in my Oneplus 6 I fixed this by going to Android Settings and forcing the game as 'fullscreen'

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, help. I'm currently on mobile and I purchased a Google play card from PlayAsia. I've gotten my email verification with the invoice page, but I can't find the redemption code. On the order page there's a section that says "codes and downloads" and in that section is a spinning icon. Is the page trying to load the code? I've been on it for several minutes and have made no progress. What ways are there available to me to get the code?
It's been forever since I bought anything on Play-Asia but it sounds like you're on the right page. I'd go to the page on a desktop instead of mobile. I have never had good experience or performance with any online store when on mobile.

Maybe disable your adblocker if you have one when you're there as well just to be safe.

Last edited:

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
watch them doing 3 full testimonies before i'm able to prove that the boat moved and made the bolt close by itself, lol

tumblr_myy0npwi621s2k3zlo1_1280.png

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'm slowly getting through the game, only half an hour a night, but boy this first case has a lot of characters for a series that usually tries to have as few as possible in the opener

I guess the mob cross exam has that effect

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Kids won't be able to apply a translation patch though.
I was applying translation patches when I was 11 lol

That's not really the point. The point is that using slurs is bad. It's not really that complicated.
Ehhhhhhh I don't know if I like how this game uses them but (generally) having characters use slurs is to show that they're bad, it's not an endorsement of them

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
The patcher seems to be a CFW app that directly applies to a .CIA. But, is there any version of the patch that works with a .3DS dump?

I prefer to play my games on Citra these days. And I don't really wanna CFW hack my 3DS if I can help it...

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I just wish the pacing was better. It's excruciatingly slow. You have to listen to Holmes' long and ridiculous deductions then proceed to correct them but you also have to hear the skit between the characters in between then listen to the whole thing again.

There is such a stark contrast between the beginning of the series and this game (and even GS6 by the GK team) pacing wise.
Yeah Deductions are kind of pointless and it's odd that they're the only "ability" in the game and yet aren't used more than once a case. AA 5/6 had major issues with too many mini-games to the point where none ever got used enough to reach a sufficient and meaningful difficulty, but here it's this one thing but it's only ever used once per case so again there's still never enough usage to properly increase the difficulty. The entire first part is completely redundant and pointless and only really there for the amusingly bad and outlandish theories Holmes comes up with, but they're brain dead easy during review as all the framework has been established. It would be more tolerable and possibly more challenging/interesting a mode if we just had to figure stuff out from the get go and there were more red herrings for us to suss out rather than picking the one other thing in the scene that Holmes didn't see.

I guess you could say the multi-witness mechanic is another gameplay gimmick, but again it's not used enough and the way it is used is so spoon fed to you that it's really kind of pointless. That would be a perfect time to utilize something akin to Perceive, but instead we get a big sound effect, emoticon and special animation to tell us to question the other person.

The series has really struggled, and in my opinion failed, to improve and find a good alternative to Phoenix's Psyche-Lock ability as well as lots of evidence and presenting of it. Everything they've tried to introduce is too easy, too limited, too long or just not fun. Perceive was passable at best as it's close to Psyche Locks, but way too simplified and limited. Mood Matrix is beyond dumb, too situational, slow and just boringly simple/easy. While Divination Seance has all the same problems but to an even greater degree of being excruciatingly slow and limited in use. Deductions very much mirrors a lot of their problems. Edgeworth's Logic Chess from AAI was similarly underwhelming as it had a lot of the same aspects and intentions of Psyche-Locks but made the process needlessly convoluted and drawn out.

I wish they had used Logic from AAI and Thought Routes from AA5/6 for GAA. Logic would especially make sense in this context given the greater, thematic at least, focus on detective work. It would at least give the player some semblance of piecing things out themselves, but instead everything in spoonfed to us. Thought Routes is a fairly simple mechanic but it's fast and effective and could be build upon to increase the difficulty if it was utilized more. It could also be used effectively in conjunction with the Logic system. I also think it's especially welcome as the series seems to have abandoned high amounts of evidence and lightning rounds in cases where usually at the climax we are forced to quickly piece things together as we go and must present numerous pieces of evidence to support our claims in rapid fire succession that was really fun and exhilarating. So Thought Routes at least offers a streamlined, albeit much less challenging, version of that experience.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
How is the performance on Bluestacks?

Edit: Or should I be able to run this off of my actual phone?

Last edited:

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
You might want to search for fullscreen options in your phone settings.
This happens with some new widescreen phones, and in my Oneplus 6 I fixed this by going to Android Settings and forcing the game as 'fullscreen'

Thanks, no such setting on my pixel 3 xl however. It has something to do with the patch, without it it centers fine.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Deductions are kind of pointless and it's odd that they're the only "ability" in the game and yet aren't used more than once a case. AA 5/6 had major issues with too many mini-games to the point where none ever got used enough to reach a sufficient and meaningful difficulty, but here it's this one thing but it's only ever used once per case so again there's still never enough usage to properly increase the difficulty. The entire first part is completely redundant and pointless and only really there for the amusingly bad and outlandish theories Holmes comes up with, but they're brain dead easy during review as all the framework has been established. It would be more tolerable and possibly more challenging/interesting a mode if we just had to figure stuff out from the get go and there were more red herrings for us to suss out rather than picking the one other thing in the scene that Holmes didn't see.

I guess you could say the multi-witness mechanic is another gameplay gimmick, but again it's not used enough and the way it is used is so spoon fed to you that it's really kind of pointless. That would be a perfect time to utilize something akin to Perceive, but instead we get a big sound effect, emoticon and special animation to tell us to question the other person.

The series has really struggled, and in my opinion failed, to improve and find a good alternative to Phoenix's Psyche-Lock ability as well as lots of evidence and presenting of it. Everything they've tried to introduce is too easy, too limited, too long or just not fun. Perceive was passable at best as it's close to Psyche Locks, but way too simplified and limited. Mood Matrix is beyond dumb, too situational, slow and just boringly simple/easy. While Divination Seance has all the same problems but to an even greater degree of being excruciatingly slow and limited in use. Deductions very much mirrors a lot of their problems. Edgeworth's Logic Chess from AAI was similarly underwhelming as it had a lot of the same aspects and intentions of Psyche-Locks but made the process needlessly convoluted and drawn out.

I wish they had used Logic from AAI and Thought Routes from AA5/6 for GAA. Logic would especially make sense in this context given the greater, thematic at least, focus on detective work. It would at least give the player some semblance of piecing things out themselves, but instead everything in spoonfed to us. Thought Routes is a fairly simple mechanic but it's fast and effective and could be build upon to increase the difficulty if it was utilized more. It could also be used effectively in conjunction with the Logic system. I also think it's especially welcome as the series seems to have abandoned high amounts of evidence and lightning rounds in cases where usually at the climax we are forced to quickly piece things together as we go and must present numerous pieces of evidence to support our claims in rapid fire succession that was really fun and exhilarating. So Thought Routes at least offers a streamlined, albeit much less challenging, version of that experience.
Thought Route is a terrible mechanic because you have to set up the courtroom drama in a way that the big reveal is done through multi choice questions rather than organically. It is fundamentzlly flawed and no amount of retooling can make it work in a way that the height of the drama isn't squandered by an out-of-court mini-game

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ah, I see. How is easy is it to purchase the game on Android? And will the translation give me a patched APK I can export to a PC emulator or something? I doubt my little budget Moto phone could run it, lol.

Basically you need to create a Japanese Google account, buy a 3,000 yen Japanese Google play credit code from somewhere, and buy the game that way. I'm sure you could export the file to your PC to run in an emulator but I have no experience with doing that.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Thought Route is a terrible mechanic because you have to set up the courtroom drama in a way that the big reveal is done through multi choice questions rather than organically. It is fundamentzlly flawed and no amount of retooling can make it work in a way that the height of the drama isn't squandered by an out-of-court mini-game
I mean it all depends on how you use Thought Route, if it's only used for the big revelations yeah it changes the setup/flow of the case, but currently we're not even getting that same kind of experience very often as is. Evidence is literally handed to us on a plate at many major turns now right when its needed, there's nothing organic about that. Thought Route as a mechanic is not flawed, it's historic use may be but that's different.

It's again an issue of # of occurrences within a game, which has plagued the modern series "abilities" mechanics as the player never gets as familiar with them as they should. Thought Route could be made more complex and difficult if it was used more than just once per Case, but as it stands it appears too infrequently to really acclimate players to what it is and what is demands so they can never really increase the difficulty.

Last edited:

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
100% agreed. I want Thought Route to stay far far away. At best, something should be shown in a single multiple choice prompt mid-way because seeing the strange, yet ultimately correct choice allows the player to realize it on their own. "Wait, what does that meanOOOOH!!" Thought Route doesn't even let you have that as it chews the food for you, puts the mush in your mouth, and rubs your neck to help you swallow. It's cool to watch, but it goes totally overboard. And we can't forget that it tends to come after a lot of the characters already repeating information and stating realizations that the player *should* be making on their own, and tend to already have because of how generous AA5&6 held the player's hand.

Joint Reasoning segments are pretty simple to solve and that's kinda what the devs were going for. One of the most distinct and consistent aspects of the character "Sherlock Holmes" is how much information he gathers about a person or situation from a glance. Joint Reasoning segments are supposed to allow the player to have that sensation and experience. Granted, it makes them not very effective as brain busters but they're meant to be enjoyable for the theatrics and character interactions, but given the heavy and somber tone all throughout DGS1, any bit of lightheartedness is welcome and needed. Also the Joint Reasoning segments are rarely used to solve some massive question about a case but instead are there to answer a curiosity, and the information you get happens to be useful down the road when you don't necessarily expect it.

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished case 2

Man, it was underwhelming, not only being stuck in such a small environment was depressing but also I always felt like there was more to this case even at the very end I was like "no come on he can't be dead like that" and "is that really all there is to it". I feel like this murder is so stupid and at the same time so convenient (because I suppose it's to imitate the death of mia fey since asougi fills the same role). I feel like I'm robbed of something greater, like honosoga talks about protecting asougi from assassins and then he dies like this. I was not always fond of over the top great schemes in later mainline Ace Attorney, but this is the total opposite. It's really underwhelming.

I don't even want to play anymore to be honest, I feel like this game is one of Takumi's low.

May 17, 2018
I keep looking in this thread and getting closer to doing it all then I read through the hack guide and get completely bamboozled with Fred miner and cfw and all other acronyms. What is the minimum stuff needed to do to get this running? Follow the 11.9 homebrew video on YouTube then install Luma ?

Last edited: