• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone have experience running this game using emulation, or is native hardware the way to go?

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I keep looking in this thread and getting closer to doing it all then I read through the hack guide and get completely bamboozled with Fred miner and cfw and all other acronyms. What is the minimum stuff needed to do to get this running? Follow the 11.9 homebrew video on YouTube then install Luma ?
Don't follow videos. But, well, you probably need Luma CFW installed, yes.

SantosStrife

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished case 2

Man, it was underwhelming, not only being stuck in such a small environment was depressing but also I always felt like there was more to this case even at the very end I was like "no come on he can't be dead like that" and "is that really all there is to it". I feel like this murder is so stupid and at the same time so convenient (because I suppose it's to imitate the death of mia fey since asougi fills the same role). I feel like I'm robbed of something greater, like honosoga talks about protecting asougi from assassins and then he dies like this. I was not always fond of over the top great schemes in later mainline Ace Attorney, but this is the total opposite. It's really underwhelming.

I don't even want to play anymore to be honest, I feel like this game is one of Takumi's low.

I felt the same way, I really disliked the outcome of this case 2. I was really sad with tragic nature of this case, to me felt like a cheap forced plot device.

But I began Case 3, and now I'm having a blast. What happened in case 2 can sound like a bad anime trope to motivate the protagonist, but actually works really well in the context of this game.

Please give a chance and continue to play! =3

About the translation, Scarlet Team did an excellent job. Is really amazing what they done. It's reminding a lot of the passion AAI2 fan translation Team did as well.

Fantastic games.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
So they just released a translation for the DGS2 demo, but the demo is not accessible to anyone without a Japanese 3DS?
What a tease. What's the point?

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaand I'm all done. I quite liked the final case. I'm sure I'll have more thoughts later, but I want to mention the one big thing that's nagging me.

You can't call this case "The Adventure of the Unspeakable Story" and plaster a giant "THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES" on the case's title card and not elaborate whatsoever on said unspeakable story. Even worse was that the manuscript was just sitting in the Court Record the whole time. What the hell?

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a fan translation for AAI2 on android as well? I would like to play it but I have trouble enjoying it on a laggy DS emulator

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I gotta say, I'm can't believe how lucky I've been with some of my deductions being wrong but having the same solution as the right ones.

"Where was the defendant sitting?"
Me: Obviously he was hiding under the seats! Points to seats next to the victim's seats
Game: He was sitting in the other seats, where the witnesses couldn't see him!

later

"The only thing I heard was the defendant sleeping"
Me: Wait a minute. She should've heard the victim screaming when he was stabbed! present profile of the victim.
Game: How couldn't you heard the victim entering the omnibus!?

I feel like in later cases this is gonna bite me hard...

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I'd buy this on Android because I'm a bit wary of modding my 3DS, but I'm having an absolute nightmare trying to create a Japanese Google Play account.

It keeps asking me to verify with a phone number, but rejects my mobile number ("this number cannot be used for verification") and landline.

Does anyone have any tips for getting past this?

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
No, but as an absolute noob I can assure you modding your 3DS is very easy and you can't really screw it up, as long as follow the instructions step by step. They are easy to understand and always clear on what to do.
Thanks - I'm considering it but my main concern is more any potential account action from Nintendo, since I use the same eShop account on Switch as is on the 3DS. I thought I'd read about Nintendo banning accounts, but that could just be people who pirated games.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
I thought I'd buy this on Android because I'm a bit wary of modding my 3DS, but I'm having an absolute nightmare trying to create a Japanese Google Play account.

It keeps asking me to verify with a phone number, but rejects my mobile number ("this number cannot be used for verification") and landline.

Does anyone have any tips for getting past this?
Is this after the payment step?

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks - I'm considering it but my main concern is more any potential account action from Nintendo, since I use the same eShop account on Switch as is on the 3DS. I thought I'd read about Nintendo banning accounts, but that could just be people who pirated games.

I completely understand, was scared of this as well at first. So far Nintendo has only banned users that did run pirated copies. And even those can still use the eShop just not play online. Afaik the bans are also for the consoles, not the accounts. So your Switch should not be in danger. :)

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just ordered a used copy off ebay. Now to figure out how to un region lock a 3DS lol.

How is the game? I remember imoressions from back in 2015 that it wasnt as good as 5, which makes me worried.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Is this after the payment step?
No, I didn't get that far yet - it's immediately after I enter the first details to create the account (name, email, password) - once those are accepted, it immediately asks me to verify the account using a phone number. Possibly because I was connected to a VPN at the time?
I completely understand, was scared of this as well at first. So far Nintendo has only banned users that did run pirated copies. And even those can still use the eShop just not play online. Afaik the bans are also for the consoles, not the accounts. So your Switch should not be in danger. :)
Thanks! That's reassuring, as long as the Switch account is safe that's fine.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
No, I didn't get that far yet - it's immediately after I enter the first details to create the account (name, email, password) - once those are accepted, it immediately asks me to verify the account using a phone number. Possibly because I was connected to a VPN at the time?
Hmmm possibly. I created the account beforehand but distinctly remember being able to skip adding a phone number. You're asked to provide a number when you buy the game but I just googled Japanese phone no. and it accepted it.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Shouldn't this be an Unofficial Thread? (UT) Just saying.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Aaaaand I'm all done. I quite liked the final case. I'm sure I'll have more thoughts later, but I want to mention the one big thing that's nagging me.

You can't call this case "The Adventure of the Unspeakable Story" and plaster a giant "THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES" on the case's title card and not elaborate whatsoever on said unspeakable story. Even worse was that the manuscript was just sitting in the Court Record the whole time. What the hell?
Remember what I said before about the multiple meanings of each case's title? On one hand, it's referring to the telegraph message that is sounds and not "spoken" that everyone was after, and on the other it's about the unknown mysteries left in the game like Susato and "Hound of the Baskervilles" and whatever was the meaning behind the Iroha code message. I like it.

How about that Gregson though? What a goddamn scumbag. And the return of the Asougi Nocturne track? "Even so, there was someone determined to defend me. It was...my best friend." I get a little teary every time.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
In the past I basically "watched" the game subtitled on Youtube, but maybe in the future this new translation will be a good opportunity to play it by myself, maybe when also the translation for DGS2 is out. It is amazing how the Ace Attorney community is caring about the franchise, such as the translation for AAI2 too. A big thanks to Scarlet Studio but also all the other people who did similar translations for this or other AA games!

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
DGS is apparently 6th top paid now ??

D3ak1jHWAAAlzFe

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Gotta say, I was aware of this project early on, and I spoke with the people who made it a lot during a certain period. From the start I was against their decision to do a "literal" translation but I have to admit, even though that grievance passed eventually, seeing the finished result I can't help but wonder if there's bias in this text and one defense of going literal I kept being told was "The original game has a lot of racism in it, we're not localizing it because we want to respect the author's intent".

And even still, I question if the racism was this fierce on an idiomatic level in the original.

What other ways could you say "jap" in a way that implies foreign prejudice but without being actually offensive to the reader, I wonder. "Asian" maybe? Is that worse or better?

Also, the "black and white man" comment is something too where... no offense intended but I think perceptually that would be less offensive in a sense since black culture isn't big in japan as far as I know, and of course it's all said in the historical context of the game but... i dunno, I'm sure localization would've changed this without removing the implication that it is an "us vs them" or even that it is xenophobia.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say, I was aware of this project early on, and I spoke with the people who made it a lot during a certain period. From the start I was against their decision to do a "literal" translation but I have to admit, even though that grievance passed eventually, seeing the finished result I can't help but wonder if there's bias in this text and one defense of going literal I kept being told was "The original game has a lot of racism in it, we're not localizing it because we want to respect the author's intent".

And even still, I question if the racism was this fierce on an idiomatic level in the original.

What other ways could you say "jap" in a way that implies foreign prejudice but without being actually offensive to the reader, I wonder. "Asian" maybe? Is that worse or better?

Also, the "black and white man" comment is something too where... no offense intended but I think perceptually that would be less offensive in a sense since black culture isn't big in japan as far as I know, and of course it's all said in the historical context of the game but... i dunno, I'm sure localization would've changed this without removing the implication that it is an "us vs them" or even that it is xenophobia.
Like I said before, yes, there is an element of racism and no one is asking for it to be removed. But you can convey that without resorting to slurs.

Its repeated use makes me think of that episode of South Park where they tried to say "shit" or something as many times they could in a single episode simply because they could.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to see it translated, but I bought a copy of AII2 when I was in Japan a few years ago and still haven't played that. So I'll probably just get around to that finally sometime soon, and wait for DGS2's translation to be on the horizon before looking into this. That being said...

If nothing else, it sure is authentic.
zTc7352.png

Woof, that's really offputting and I'd rather not play the patch in this state. I know the characters are indeed being racist, but using slurs to convey that doesn't feel necessary; it certainly adds a level of vehemence to every use, which just seems disruptive to the experience? Perhaps it might be vaguely historically accurate, but if the original text is just "Japanese" than it doesn't match the original feeling for the reader at all because it's way more intense, so it's a very bad localization decision.

However, one of those screenshots sticks out to me...

So, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the "White means guilty. Black is not guilty." line actually has anything to do with race?

I know very little Japanese and may be off on this, but I think the Japanese words for white and black literally are used for (or are at least heavily associated with?) not guilty and guilty respectively. So, without knowing the context, I assume the screenshot was probably just of a scene discussing that and not about a person's skin color?

Not handling it well in English is actually a problem I have with Danganronpa's localization! There's this whole thing in the trial rules about the killer being "the blackened" that sounds awkward as fuck because it's such arbitrary terminology with no reasoning behind it. After thinking about it more, I realized it was probably meant to tie into Monokuma's color scheme so they left it in for that reason, but it's such an indirect connection that they never touch on so it just sticks out.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

The white and black line isn't literally. They're not talking about groups of people but the paddle the jury has to give their vote about whether or not the accused is guilty

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The "white and black" line is in reference to the Scales of Justice behind the judge. At any point a juror can cast their verdict which throws a fireball into one of the scales. The scales are colored with, you guessed it, white scale for not guilty and black for guilty. If either side gets all six votes, the trial ends, however in the case if 6 guilty votes, the defense has the option to perform the "Closing Argument" and the jurors explain their votes. If the defense can convince four of them to change their votes the trial will resume.

Last edited:

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Remember what I said before about the multiple meanings of each case's title? On one hand, it's referring to the telegraph message that is sounds and not "spoken" that everyone was after, and on the other it's about the unknown mysteries left in the game like Susato and "Hound of the Baskervilles" and whatever was the meaning behind the Iroha code message. I like it.

How about that Gregson though? What a goddamn scumbag. And the return of the Asougi Nocturne track? "Even so, there was someone determined to defend me. It was...my best friend." I get a little teary every time.

Whatever the case, I'm definitely looking forward to DGS2 so I can get some answers. For the Holmes story and the telegraph. And the other loose ends because there are plenty. What's the deal with John Watson? Who's the Japanese person who betrayed Barok? Who was that fully modeled foppish guy from Case 4 who appeared like, once?

And yeah, Gregson was a real piece of work. I absolutely loved that you end up nailing the killer by focusing your attacks on him. They used the Questioning mechanic very well in this trial- going through a few statements of Gina's testimony before going, alright, why the heck can I see the back of this dude's shoulder? And the moment they bring up the body check, I'm like "ooooooh that's why he was shaking Waluigi".

Bonus points to this case for having what was, to me, the funniest line in the game. Big spoilers though.

During the first closing argument, if you press Juror 1 (AKA John Garrideb) and Ryuunosuke tries to super transparently butter him up. And Garrideb says, among other things, "When I go to meet my wife in jail- and thanks for that, by the way- I'm not sure what to say". Bwhahaha. I don't even know what Naruhoudou was thinking was gonna happen here.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
My Japanese isn't very good so I could have easily misunderstood something but I definitely did not interpret anything in the game to mean something equivalent to slurs on the level of the lines in those screenshots during my playthrough.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Like I said before, yes, there is an element of racism and no one is asking for it to be removed. But you can convey that without resorting to slurs.

Its repeated use makes me think of that episode of South Park where they tried to say "shit" or something as many times they could in a single episode simply because they could.
Yeah it's like Tarantino and the N-word.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My Japanese isn't very good so I could have easily misunderstood something but I definitely did not interpret anything in the game to mean something equivalent to slurs on the level of the lines in those screenshots during my playthrough.

Having completed the game in English: What is really weird is that the usage of J** is almost 100% confined to Case 4. Maybe completely confined. They drop it like candy during that case, but I'm pretty confident it was never said beforehand. It was used maaaaaaybe once in case 5, and I'm not even confident in saying that. But in that case 4, they drop it like candy.

Edit: I actually see it was used in case 3 in one of those screenshots. Not sure if there were any other mentions in that case, but I do think the point generally stands. It's in like every other sentence in episode four, and I can barely remember it from any other case lol

Last edited:

Faabulous

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks! That's reassuring, as long as the Switch account is safe that's fine.

You don't need to create a japanese account. You just need any old google account that's not your main. Basically create an account, clear google play data, connect to the VPN e and open store. When you change to your new account, you'll be in the japanese one.

I recommend a paid VPN tho, those free ones are shady af (it's also a good service to have access to in general, even more so if you're not american, like me)

EDIT:
Godamn, 3000 yen google play cards are out of stock on play-asia lol
Damn you guys

Last edited:

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to create a japanese account. You just need any old google account that's not your main. Basically create an account, clear google play data, connect to the VPN e and open store. When you change to your new account, you'll be in the japanese one.

I recommend a paid VPN tho, those free ones are shady af (it's also a good service to have access to in general, even more so if you're not american, like me)

EDIT:
Godamn, 3000 yen google play cards are out of stock on play-asia lol
Damn you guys
Awesome, thank you. I have a spare Google account so I'll give this a go.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
This seems like a good place to ask - is there an English patch for the android version of Investigations 2? Friend of mine wants to play it but he has lost his DS charger.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, be careful looking for music tracks on Youtube. Some people have uploaded tracks from the second game and changed the titles to be spoilers.

I don't know why they're assholes like that changing the track titles JUST to be assholes and spoil things. I'd say stick to spotify or something or just download the OST directly. The internet is so goddamn disgusting.
Case 5:
I wish the game spent more time explaining what stereoscopes are, I didn't quite get it the first twenty times.

Hey, say what you will but it was awesome to
"magic eye" that second set of pictures and see that tiny box be all fuzzy.

I died laughing at the initial reveal of the jury. Garrideb is eyeballing that maid next to him, the typist upgraded her equipment and WAIT, THAT GUY'S REAL!?

Oct 25, 2017
I died laughing at the initial reveal of the jury. Garrideb is eyeballing that maid next to him, the typist upgraded her equipment and WAIT, THAT GUY'S REAL!?

Absolutely. took me a moment to remember where I'd seen him before, but when it hit... There's some great humour in this game. I love the Tinpiller brothers as well. Translation did a really good job with them bruv.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Dmitri on the jury was maybe my favorite gag in all of gaming in 2015 when I first played DGS, and that was the year Undertale came out.

Just perfect execution of the brick joke.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In general I thought the jury picks got progressively more absurd as the game went on, and I loved it. Just look at Case 5, where every single juror was either horrendously ethically compromised, or an unimaginably convenient asset to the defense. Juror 1 just had his wife sent to prison by the defense attorney. Juror 2 served during the trial when said defense attorney got a guilty man off scott free, a fact which became very clear as the trial went on. Juror 3 was... fine (but very conveniently had expertise in technology that would prove crucial to solving the case). Juror 4 just so happened to have performed surgery on one of the (thankfully still living) victims for the case. Juror 5 just so happened to be the only person in the entire courtroom able to positively identify the true culprit. Juror 6 was a Russian revolutionary because why the hell not. Legit loved how he got built up in Case 2 only to end up completely unimportant, btw.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
In general I thought the jury picks got progressively more absurd as the game went on, and I loved it. Just look at Case 5, where every single juror was either horrendously ethically compromised, or an unimaginably convenient asset to the defense. Juror 1 just had his wife sent to prison by the defense attorney. Juror 2 served during the trial when said defense attorney got a guilty man off scott free, a fact which became very clear as the trial went on. Juror 3 was... fine (but very conveniently had expertise in technology that would prove crucial to solving the case). Juror 4 just so happened to have performed surgery on one of the (thankfully still living) victims for the case. Juror 5 just so happened to be the only person in the entire courtroom able to positively identify the true culprit. Juror 6 was a Russian revolutionary because why the hell not. Legit loved how he got built up in Case 2 only to end up completely unimportant, btw.

I really loved how they used the juries in this game. I was afraid when it was announced that the trials would wind up too chaotic or muddled up (going from defense, prosecutor, judge, witness to defense, prosecutor, judge, up to four witnesses, and six jurors) but they threaded the needle and I thought the juries really added to the trials.

DGS2 unfortunately doesn't use them as well, which is one of my few big disappointments with that game.

Oct 25, 2017
Juries are fun. Bring more characters into the trial without needing to put too much focus any when they aren't needed. And Closing Arguments are a good mechanic that offer something kind of different whilst also not straying too far from the standard cross examination format.

Also only at the intermission so not clicking any spoilers.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really loved how they used the juries in this game. I was afraid when it was announced that the trials would wind up too chaotic or muddled up (going from defense, prosecutor, judge, witness to defense, prosecutor, judge, up to four witnesses, and six jurors) but they threaded the needle and I thought the juries really added to the trials.

DGS2 unfortunately doesn't use them as well, which is one of my few big disappointments with that game.

That's a shame to hear, because I did really enjoy them in this game. I think the jury was at its strongest in Case 3 when it was all new to the player, but I still liked them throughout. Closing arguments were fun, and they had a bit of the cinematic flair that helps make the Holmes deductions so enjoyable. Lots of great gags with the juries throughout the game too.