• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Done with the fourth case. The animations for the characters are really great and some members of the jury are really well done. The music is pretty good too. I think the fan localization is very good outside of repeating that slur often. Unfortunately I feel this game did really nothing to easy the feel of fatigue I had with the series so far. Hopefully this is like AA2 and the last case is really good or else this was a really terrible entry for me.

Most of the time this game is tedious to play with everything slowing down to a crawl because of the jury system or the theater of logic. It seems the game doesn't start before the fourth case and then it's the usual drivel about BELIEVING. It's also exactly like AA6 where they've raised up the ante by taking place somewhere where they really don't like foreigners. The whole premise on why you are even an attorney is so bad I have to believe there is some sort of conspiracy behind that. Same thing with the outcome of the second case there has to be more otherwise this is so poor I don't know what to say.

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
Wow case 2 might have the dumbest death in the Ace Attorney series.

The protagonist's best friend, the man who was one of the brightest students in all of Japan, met his end by breaking his neck on a bed post after being pushed by a 15 year old ballerina... I know they wanted to kill him off to make the protagonist grow, but that is an awfully dumb way to write such an important character out of the story. I really hope the rest of the cases are better than this.

Edit:
Tbh I'm mainly just upset that Asogi is gone, he was my favourite character lol. I should've seen it coming though. The case overall wasn't bad and had some real hard hitting emotions. I can't help but feel dissapointed at how they handled Asogi though, so I am admittedly pretty bias about it.

Last edited:

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to create a japanese account. You just need any old google account that's not your main. Basically create an account, clear google play data, connect to the VPN e and open store. When you change to your new account, you'll be in the japanese one.

I recommend a paid VPN tho, those free ones are shady af (it's also a good service to have access to in general, even more so if you're not american, like me)

EDIT:
Godamn, 3000 yen google play cards are out of stock on play-asia lol
Damn you guys
Tried this today with a spare Google account I had and it worked great, thanks again!

That's step one done, now I just have to wait for Play-Asia to restock some gift cards since Codashop didn't work for me.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Finished up last night. It was a fun game, but aside from the freshness of the cast and setting I can't say it's all that great of an AA game. It's good and serviceable for sure, but really does nothing to advance the series as a whole and more often than not feels like a continued regression. Granted this is 4 years old and was made after AA5 and slightly before AA6, so it's not exactly recent or indicative of the series' trajectory, but all the same for a game largely unfettered by the baggage of the original series it didn't do a whole lot with it.

My biggest gripe is its even further reduction and simplification of the Investigation/Trial setup, which really saps the tension and development of cases as there's little to no depth them. Investigation periods are mostly perfunctory and most things are left to the Trial period, and a single one at that, often with exceedingly few actual witnesses. Overall the case quality was rather poor with an excessive number of contrivances required to reach their finales, especially Case 5's ending which felt like needless padding that served no purpose but to add additional drama to the trial. Again the lack of real satisfying conclusions to many cases left a bitter taste the game never fully justified in my opinion. It tried for something new, which I appreciate but it did not pan out. Complaints about how the game leaves so many threads open is very valid even knowing there is a second game that will resolve them. It felt like anything of interest was simply a hint or tease for events in the next game. Really one single loose thread was actually tied up in this game and it wasn't really all that satisfying and that in turn still led to another new mystery.

I really liked van Zieks, but he was poorly utilized to say the least. He has zero development outside an end game line hinting at some deeper history left to the next game. Naruhodou's arc is solid, but not amazing. Their intentions with him were interesting but I don't think they did a very good job of actually interrogating and conveying this unlikely/uncertain Attorney and his struggles with knowing what he's fighting for. Susato and Holmes were very good supporting characters, despite not having a great deal of depth or development to them. Iris blows. Many of the other supporting characters were decent and all that, but they failed to really establish a good repertoire between everyone, again something I see as a casualty of the limited Investigation/Trial setup. As well as a product of the overall story they were trying to tell. Original AA trilogy had a lot of interactions between many characters inside and outside the court allowing for a much broader and well rounded development of them and in relation to one another. That just did not exist here very much. There was rarely any breathing room or good setup to the cases. Case 5 is the only with any kind of lead up.

To the game's credit the multi-person Testimonies and Jury system were good additions and did make things somewhat interesting. But overall they were too simple, lacking any real challenge or critical thinking, and never really elevated the experience for me. They failed to justify the increased focus and the extreme limitation of single day trials. I do look forward to the sequel and hope that Scarlet Study are able to quickly turn that around, I think they did a fantastic job all around and really appreciate all the hard work they put into things. It was seriously top notch work. But yeah I'm keeping expectations somewhat low for GAA2 all the same.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed the Scarlet Study website updated their purchasing guide page and included other websites besides Play-Asia and Codashop on where to buy Google Play codes digitally. Guess what, the 3000 Yen cards are all out of stock there too lol.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Wow, Case 2 really sucks. The mystery itself is straight-up awful, and Ace Attorney without Cross Examinations and/or Court sections is just bland.

I'm sure my enjoyment of this game will pick up once the usual Investigation/Court formula shows up going forward, but that was not a good way to start the game off at all.

Oct 31, 2017
So they just released a translation for the DGS2 demo, but the demo is not accessible to anyone without a Japanese 3DS?
What a tease. What's the point?

People owning a modded JP 3DS can play the demo :P

Gotta say, I was aware of this project early on, and I spoke with the people who made it a lot during a certain period. From the start I was against their decision to do a "literal" translation but I have to admit, even though that grievance passed eventually, seeing the finished result I can't help but wonder if there's bias in this text and one defense of going literal I kept being told was "The original game has a lot of racism in it, we're not localizing it because we want to respect the author's intent".

And even still, I question if the racism was this fierce on an idiomatic level in the original.

What other ways could you say "jap" in a way that implies foreign prejudice but without being actually offensive to the reader, I wonder. "Asian" maybe? Is that worse or better?

Also, the "black and white man" comment is something too where... no offense intended but I think perceptually that would be less offensive in a sense since black culture isn't big in japan as far as I know, and of course it's all said in the historical context of the game but... i dunno, I'm sure localization would've changed this without removing the implication that it is an "us vs them" or even that it is xenophobia.

This is a localization though.

It sounds like you're criticizing their take on not changing some things more... Which is ok at the end of the day.

I noticed the Scarlet Study website updated their purchasing guide page and included other websites besides Play-Asia and Codashop on where to buy Google Play codes digitally. Guess what, the 3000 Yen cards are all out of stock there too lol.

At this rate, DGS won't reach the first place on the JP android charts ! :D

Last edited:

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I really loved how they used the juries in this game. I was afraid when it was announced that the trials would wind up too chaotic or muddled up (going from defense, prosecutor, judge, witness to defense, prosecutor, judge, up to four witnesses, and six jurors) but they threaded the needle and I thought the juries really added to the trials.

DGS2 unfortunately doesn't use them as well, which is one of my few big disappointments with that game.

I agree, but DGS2 is better than the first game in every other way besides that. Sorta.

Wish we had Sherlock acting the way he acted in that final case throughout the other games, I liked him okay during the two games but him during that last case was super entertaining.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
As more people finish up DGS1, it's fun reading reactions and seeing how they match the initial response from the Japanese version.

I really love DGS1 and its stronger focus on character development and more somber tone, but I also can't deny that some of the actual cases suffer for it. The pacing is also pretty screwed up as many people have pointed out.

The good news is that if you had those issues with DGS1, you'll probably like DGS2 much more - it feels much more like an original trilogy game in that the focus is on the plot and the individual crimes, and it's paced much better. The downside is that DGS2's character work is a little weaker IMO and it loses a bit of DGS1's melancholy vibe.

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked case 2. Not really any cases I didn't like over all.

Case 4 was probably the weakest, mostly down to the completely pointless moving of the crime scene which felt anticlimactic after spending so long trying to make any headway into it. Still had a good cast though.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
As more people finish up DGS1, it's fun reading reactions and seeing how they match the initial response from the Japanese version.

I really love DGS1 and its stronger focus on character development and more somber tone, but I also can't deny that some of the actual cases suffer for it. The pacing is also pretty screwed up as many people have pointed out.

The good news is that if you had those issues with DGS1, you'll probably like DGS2 much more - it feels much more like an original trilogy game in that the focus is on the plot and the individual crimes, and it's paced much better. The downside is that DGS2's character work is a little weaker IMO and it loses a bit of DGS1's melancholy vibe.
Yeah I broke down and went and looked at the Wikia for each case in DGS2
and I didn't read anything other than seeing that most of the cases actually seem to have a 2 day structure with 2 investigations and trial periods which should really help out a lot.

Still tempering expectations though.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
No, it isn't.

AFDA5cv.png
I wonder what lesson Capcom will take from this?

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Finally on the cusp of finishing Case 2. Sherlock is really smarter than he appears, it's a bit scary

Oct 25, 2017
Holmes is simultaneously a genius and a complete idiot.

I loved Holmes in this game. You have parts where you can tell he's playing up his eccentricity, or just bluffing. But then you have the start of case 5.

Also liked that part where Vortex straight up does an evil villain monologue about desiring order. As if he wasn't evil looking enough already.

Last edited:

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

"Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 - The Resolve of We're Answering the Questions Please Stop Yelling at Us!"

Oct 29, 2017
If nothing else, it sure is authentic.
zTc7352.png

I get why they went down this route with the use of "Jap" (it is indeed historically accurate), but I am absolutely certain that this is not the localisation choice that Capcom would've gone for if they actually localised this game...

... that in of itself is pretty offputting. This is a big reason why I pretty much never play fan translations; you are never getting the actual experience intended by the developers.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
How does this compare to Ace Attorney 5 and 6?
100% better :P

I haven't beaten it myself yet. I do think so personally though. The writing is just stronger in general and the long term effect is that the plotting seems better; mystery is more imaginative and satisfying and the characters are better fleshed out. It feels like a game with an intuitive, concrete vision instead of a bunch of half-baked, uncocked concepts such as "Evil Court In Khurain" or "Dark Age of Law"

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017

On it's own it's imho by far the worst AA entry, mainly based on the cases. There is a lot to love in DGS, including music, atmosphere, presentation, most characters, etc.
The overall story is rather interesting, but nothing gets resolved in part 1, so it's also very unsatisfying.
But the cases are really underwhelming, especially case 4 is so freaking bad, whatever case you thought was your least favorite until then will seem like a genius case in comparison.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
You folks have too narrow a vision of Ace Attorney, which is why they keep adding more stuff instead of doing something special with the formula

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's far better than 5. 6 is more complicated to compare DGS to, as it has more interesting individual mysteries which makes the moment-to-moment in that game more satisfying to me. But the character work in DGS is really special. I'd probably say that I like this game better than 6.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think Capcom USA should have turned this into an Old West Ace Attorney. Poorly photoshopped cowboy hats on every character.

Oct 25, 2017
DGS still wraps up all it's central mysteries. With all the talk I read prerelease I was expecting it to resolve a lot less than it actually did.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised to see all the negativity in here. I've been enjoying this game a ton, although I've been going at a very, very slow pace.

The lack of a trial in Episode 2 sucks, but I understand why they had to do it from a story perspective, and Episode 3 makes up for it by being all-trial.

I love the deductions and actually wish there were more, they're so flashy! Sherlock's original conclusions are funny, and then piecing together what really happened is cool. Mind, I also liked the Mood Matrix.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
You folks have too narrow a vision of Ace Attorney, which is why they keep adding more stuff instead of doing something special with the formula
Narrow how? I don't think most people are opposed to change or don't want to see them take risks and do unique things they just don't trust them do so given they've yet to show they have the ability to even recreate original's quality.

Personally its their increasingly narrow approach that frustrates me as I want them to expand in many areas but they almost never do. Instead they seem hyper focused on trying to distill the original experience down into a more simplified and concentrated one. Reducing the number of days for cases dramatically limits what they can do with the story, as does the increasingly reduced importance and scope of Investigation periods. There's only so much drama and stuff you can have occur in a single investigation and single trial. It becomes too predictable. That's not to say every case should have at least 2 investigations and 2 trial minimum, but just like don't make all 5 like that.

DGS of any game in the series should have been an investigation and forensics showcase with its inclusion of Sherlock Holmes but that simply did not happen at all. The game is probably among the worst, or the worst, in that regard compared to pretty much every other installment in the series. There was blood analysis in Case 5, which amounted to nothing and we didn't even have to do anything, and that was it. Even the Deduction side of things was absolutely paltry in comparison to other games, let alone the other major spin off series AAI which featured tons of interactive and complex special gimmicks. The only thing that's not narrowing and they keep adding to is the Attorney roster in the mainline series which is a whole other issue.

Their reluctance to give players a real challenge is a major problem. The writing in the game is really bizarre. Everyone repeats the same stuff a dozen times over thanks to all of their severe short term memory conditions in obvious attempt to keep player clued into important facts. There's far less evidence and it is spoon fed to you at every major turn and the new gameplay systems are basically on autopilot. Deductions, Juries and Multi-Person Witness Testimonies are all solid ideas and additions at first glance, but they never trust the player and instead spoon feed you everything up until the very end. Deductions could have been a perfect opportunity to kind of create an amalgamation of past Attorney abilities like Perceive, Mood Matrix and Logic to give players puzzles to construct conclusions from by closely scrutinizing characters and their environments. Instead Sherlock does all the work for us and we just swivel a camera and around a bit and select the one other option that's available to fix things.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think DGS works best when looked at as a cohesive whole. The cases all play off each other in a way that I don't think any other game in the series manages, so it's really hard for me to view them in isolation. The Yamazaki games try for something similar with their overarching plotlines, but fall short primarily due to their fear of letting any character break from their status quo (with the notable exception of Apollo who kind of becomes a different character starting with DD?). In the original trilogy, there is character development, but it's often isolated to the final cases. With DGS, Ryunnosuke is a demonstrably different person in Case 1, in Case 2, in Case 3, in Case 4, and in Case 5. He's never static. It's not the kind of development I've come to expect in an Ace Attorney, and I think it makes playing through the game almost always interesting, even when some of the mysteries are not.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I'm done with case 5. Hated the game as much as the Layton vs Wright game. Really bad cases and poor logic all around. After the first case I was shocked at how poor it was and the rest didn't fare much better. They were all awful for very different reasons unfortunately. It's also obvious they had a sequel in mind right off the bat as there is a ton of stuff never answered at the end.

I don't think they link the cases very well at all. The only game that managed to link all cases together elegantly was AAI2. I suppose the big questions are answered in the second game. I already own it so I'll get to play it eventually. People were telling me the second one has an "outrageous story". I'm ready for the laughs.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm done with case 5. Hated the game as much as the Layton vs Wright game. Really bad cases and poor logic all around. After the first case I was shocked at how poor it was and the rest didn't fare much better. They were all awful for very different reasons unfortunately. It's also obvious they had a sequel in mind right off the bat as there is a ton of stuff never answered at the end.

I don't think they link the cases very well at all. The only game that managed to link all cases together elegantly was AAI2. I suppose the big questions are answered in the second game. I already own it so I'll get to play it eventually. People were telling me the second one has an "outrageous story". I'm ready for the laughs.

I was expecting negative responses to DGS1 because even though I love it, it does a lot of things poorly and outright wrong in others while still being lopsided in its focus. But I never expected or have seen someone hate every single aspect of it from start to finish. Makes me curious what you do look forward to in an Ace Attorney or consider the defining traits / themes of it.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
just started case 4... while i like the atmosphere and the characters, the case have been pretty underwhelming for now.... Sure change is good, but i miss the obvious
culprit breakdown, which is missing from both case 2 and 3...

The cases are over way too quickly, i'm glad DSG2 will correct it at least, it has great potential!

I'm not hating it that's for sure, it's just a bit disappointing

Runner

Nov 1, 2017

I used offgamers and got two 1500 yen cards instead of one 3000 yen card

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Just finished Case 3, and I have to say I've been enjoying this *very* much. Tempted to just grab DGS 2 right away once I'm done, and read it in Japanese.

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
No, Ace Attorney Investigations 2 was never localized.

Fwiw, that game has a fan translation, and is pretty universally acclaimed. You should go play it if you have any interest.
I think the person's point was that out of all the AA games that have been officially localized into English, the localization was done by Capcom USA and not by the original developers.

Oct 31, 2017

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I think the person's point was that out of all the AA games that have been officially localized into English, the localization was done by Capcom USA and not by the original developers.
Ah, thanks.

Yeah, I agree @super moustique—whether fan made or "officially" created by the company, games are hardly ever translated by their original writers. And it's not like there haven't been cases where the fan translation is clearly better than the "official" version.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Is that this game variation on the ladder vs stepladder joke or am i reading too much into it?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting negative responses to DGS1 because even though I love it, it does a lot of things poorly and outright wrong in others while still being lopsided in its focus. But I never expected or have seen someone hate every single aspect of it from start to finish. Makes me curious what you do look forward to in an Ace Attorney or consider the defining traits / themes of it.

The last game I really loved was definitely AAI2. I felt that game had good cases that stood on their own and when you finally reached the last one it all made sense nicely. On the other hand I found AA6 to be really pushing it and for me the series has been on a steep decline starting with 4. I think DGS manage to actually combine everything I hate from the series in a single game. I enjoy interesting logic and deductions and entertaining stories while I don't like bad pacing, deus ex machina and unrewarding cases. Like I said earlier in the thread I'm feeling series fatigue with the AA series and this game does nothing to help me. Instead of making it fresh with the new setting, it's basically more or less the same thing with worse writing, bad investigations (little evidence, little place to investigate), constant ass pulls and far-fetched logic, lack of interesting mechanics and all of the tropes from the franchise distilled in one entry.

The case seems to be as long as usual but there isn't as much investigation to do so everything is replaced by mechanics I found really uninteresting. Having poor investigations in a Sherlock Holmes game is definitely bizarre.

And the whole backstory for this game is tough to swallow haha. I really hated for instance how AA4 never made any sense

because they've basically hired Wright to redesign the justice system while they accused him of cheating and forging evidence in the first place. It made little sense to choose him to improve everything under that accusation but even worse when they've let him use the case he was involved with to get his revenge.

This game is so much worse backstory wise. I know the game is heavily and not subtly pushing a conspiracy but man it's ridiculous. I don't want to derail the thread with my negativity so I will leave it at that.