• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
Getting everything set up on my 3DS wasn't too bad. The music is incredible in this title, I'm so happy with the music. I'm up to the 3rd case now. It's got a lot of very interesting elements even if it's taken a pretty long time to get started. I've been impressed a couple of time with how the 3rd case is set up.

It does feel like a shame the other 3DS titles weren't more similar to this one even if the cases so far have generally been pretty basic

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know of anywhere besides Play-Asia and Codashop to buy Play Store codes?

Codashop didn't work for me and Play-Asia is out of stock.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so glad more people finally get to experience the (arguably) best entry in the AA series

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally inclined to say it's been one of the best so far. I think some folks don't like the results of cases or the tone they take on. DGS is much more darker and somber than the other entries.
Can't speak for others, but for me personally, after a great case 1, having a case 2 that is investigation only and case 3 trial only is pretty underwhelming. It will probably pick up for the final 2.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
fuck my life...

someone stole my 3DS.... while i don't particulary care for the console, i had great ace attorney on it...

Now i have to pirate my other 3DS and restart the whole thing from the beginning, i was at case 4!

Does anyone know if you can transfer savefiles on 3DS from PC? And if so, would someone please send me a savefile of the game?

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Is the Android version watered down/stuff removed, or is it just as good as the 3DS version? I don't own a 3DS anymore, and wish to play it via Android.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Guess I gotta look into this... if we get more fan translations of Japan exclusive 3DS titles, the system will never die even if new releases dry up.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Today both games have arrive to my house :D I'll start the first one this night. Knowing the great work behind the translation, I'll wait patiently the translation of the second game.
I'm very grateful to the translation team. Thank a lot!

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Gotta say, I was aware of this project early on, and I spoke with the people who made it a lot during a certain period. From the start I was against their decision to do a "literal" translation but I have to admit, even though that grievance passed eventually, seeing the finished result I can't help but wonder if there's bias in this text and one defense of going literal I kept being told was "The original game has a lot of racism in it, we're not localizing it because we want to respect the author's intent".

And even still, I question if the racism was this fierce on an idiomatic level in the original.
Ya know, I wonder if someone could show/translate proof then in this case. I wonder if it's truly as racist as a screencap showed in the original Japanese.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Invoking prejudice to sway a jury is actually pretty damn realistic too.
Ignoring the subs from the video, it's not off TBH...

She literally does say those words. 黄色い (yellow), 顔 (face), 日本人 (Japanese Person/Nipponjin). Quite literal. I believe The Scarlet Study version is pretty similar too.

XsPXH6h.png

This is an interesting case to me, because this goes back to the fact that now outside of localization, this is a japanese developed game and japanese writers chose to do this.

Last edited:

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really can't think of any reason 日本人 needed to be localized as J**. It's historically inaccurate as a slur, and while it may be historically accurate simply as a shorthand for "Japanese person", it's hurtful to people today, so I'd have hoped that would have disqualified it from use.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
This game is using 3D models for the characters, right? These look really good.
Yup and has more animation than 5/6 to boot. The models/characters are so lively and full of personality.
Yes. The models are great, but even more amazing is their animation. They way they move is really something incredible.

Actually makes it hard to look at the new trilogy release because of how animated the models are. Fluid movements and not simply sprite transitions.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the game is one big Sherlock Holmes tribute so I assume the aggressive racism towards non-brits is intentional

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Yup and has more animation than 5/6 to boot. The models/characters are so lively and full of personality.
I have yet to actually play an Ace Attorney game that uses 3D models, this is the first one. I was expecting them to be more juxtaposed, but they blend extremely well with the backgrounds. So much so that I can't really even tell that they are models until they move/talk.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the 3D models, they move too much and yet still look worse than Apollo Justice. There's just something off about them.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the game is one big Sherlock Holmes tribute so I assume the aggressive racism towards non-brits is intentional

Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely racism towards the Japanese characters, and I would never want that localized away. It's part of the story. The issue here is the use of the J** slur, which was not in the Japanese dialogue, and really has no place being here from either a historical perspective or a modern perspective. There are other ways to express the racism at play.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno about that one, the sixth had the customs small cutscenes such as rayfa dance, the Bonny reveal etc. that, as for where i'm at in case 3, was the most animated the series ever was.

Last edited:

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think DGS stands out with just how expressive its characters are. Ryunnosuke is probably the best example, because they nail his awkwardness so well. Little details like his eyes darting around, his awkward "Hai!" arm raise thing(??), the way he slams into the wall before collapsing into the bench... it's all so good.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One thing about the animations in this is that, iirc, all of them are done with motion capture while AA5 and 6 (except for a few scenes like Rayfa's dance) are done via animators. I really like DGS's animations because of that since it makes them so realistic and beaming with personality while AA5 and 6 seem really stiff to me, like they were *trying* to make them in the vein of the 2D sprites and their simpler animations.

Capcom Japan showed off one of the motion capture performers in some promotional videos, behind the scenes, and I remember seeing her during one of those streaming events Capcom Japan does. They did a playthrough of Case 1 and it was fun watching her do some of the motions as they played.

Last edited:

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my aim was def not to knock on dgs animations, since they look really great visually and are rich in details.(Really love those in the joint reasoning.) I was more talking about the quantity as length, since spirit of justice had multiple mid cases long anims.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the feel I always got from 5 and 6 was "these are the classic sprites but 3D". Not that that's necessarily a bad thing though, because I was pretty into it. I was really worried about the 3D transition and I thought they nailed it.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
She literally does say those words. 黄色い (yellow), 顔 (face), 日本人 (Japanese Person/Nipponjin). Quite literal. I believe The Scarlet Study version is pretty similar too.
Oh, I see! I kinda was just curious is all.

Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely racism towards the Japanese characters, and I would never want that localized away. It's part of the story. The issue here is the use of the J** slur, which was not in the Japanese dialogue, and really has no place being here from either a historical perspective or a modern perspective. There are other ways to express the racism at play.
They could easily have changed it to "Japanese person" or something else, I do agree.. I do say that the Conan Estates thing is the big reason this will never get localized.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Am I wrong or does this game seems to have the Objection and Pursuit themes the wrong way around

They're both great tracks but the styles seem off

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Am I wrong or does this game seems to have the Objection and Pursuit themes the wrong way around

The music is definitely a bit different from the mainline games, but I wouldn't say so. The tempo of the pursuit theme is too fast for an objection theme IMO, and vice versa for the objection song.

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
After getting my Amazon JP package in the mail, I finally got my 3DS all settled and ready to run the localization, only took me an hour or so. Its amazing how far we've come with getting translation/game mods on the 3DS! I'm only about 1/2 though the first case and it reads and plays like a professional translation. I'm very impressed!

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I thought the same way back when the game was released and I just knew the tracks. They're different from the usual Objection and Pursuit themes, but ingame they work perfectly regardless.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Finally managed to buy a 3000 yen card on Play-Asia this morning, bought the game and got it patched. Works perfectly.

I was going to buy the other two games in preparation for their future patches, but Play-Asia is already out of stock of 3000 yen codes again!

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Finally managed to buy a 3000 yen card on Play-Asia this morning, bought the game and got it patched. Works perfectly.

I was going to buy the other two games in preparation for their future patches, but Play-Asia is already out of stock of 3000 yen codes again!
Offgamers was the site ScarletStudy listed that I ended up using. I ended up paying $33 for a 3000 Yen card. It even allowed me to use PayPal which made me feel a little more secure.

I also thought about going ahead and buying 2, but it just makes more sense to cross that road when we get there.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
On DGS's Pursuit, I tend to like music if it gives me some kind of mental image. The majority of the Pursuit themes give me the image of a chase of someone panicking and trying to pick up the pieces of their scheme falling apart. This is done in game via you and another character shooting arguments at each other in rapid succession which is enhanced by the blur effect as the camera snaps back and forth. It's like a rally at a tennis game.

With DGS's Pursuit, I didn't like it very much for a couple of reasons. One, the song is notably slower than any of the other pursuits and two, the cases are not terribly complex or intricate in DGS1 so there isn't a lot of "THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!" moments that would spur on the excitement of a Pursuit theme. It never gave me an interesting mental image. But DGS's Pursuit grew on me because it's fits the concept of Naruhodo, a foreigner and an outsider to institutionalized standards and systems...and then breaking them down with nothing but his words. Like an exaggerated form of parliament debates. The song gives me an image of a stone structure or prison crumbling apart after having one brick removed and the person who made it is scrambling to stop it. Civilized chaos.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Offgamers was the site ScarletStudy listed that I ended up using. I ended up paying $33 for a 3000 Yen card. It even allowed me to use PayPal which made me feel a little more secure.

I also thought about going ahead and buying 2, but it just makes more sense to cross that road when we get there.
Thanks, I did try using Offgamers at first before Play-Asia restocked, but I didn't have a great experience. I paid via PayPal, and my order got stuck in verification.

After a while I emailed them my PayPal receipt and asked them to complete the order. They replied asking me to send them all sorts of personal information (a driving licence scan, a scan of the front of my debit card and a photo of myself).

There was no way I was sending that sort of personal information to a company I barely knew, so I replied that the PayPal receipt contains all the information they should need and asked again for the code to be sent.

They refused and I requested a refund. To be fair to them they did refund me quickly.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
Question regarding one thing in DGS case 3 (and case 5 for that matter):

Did they explain why the trunk beneath the seat in the coach was filled with stuff at the beginning of the trial? After all during case 5 Gina tells you she indeed hid there during the murder.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I did try using Offgamers at first before Play-Asia restocked, but I didn't have a great experience. I paid via PayPal, and my order got stuck in verification.

After a while I emailed them my PayPal receipt and asked them to complete the order. They replied asking me to send them all sorts of personal information (a driving licence scan, a scan of the front of my debit card and a photo of myself).

There was no way I was sending that sort of personal information to a company I barely knew, so I replied that the PayPal receipt contains all the information they should need and asked again for the code to be sent.

They refused and I requested a refund. To be fair to them they did refund me quickly.
Oh wow, that is weird of them to ask for that. The only out of the ordinary thing for me was PayPal marking it as a suspicious transaction during the verification phase, but l had to do was reply yes to a PayPal text to confirm that it was me.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How good are DGS games? I only played 1-2-3 so rank them in order

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
DGS is very good for folks like me who enjoys a good drama and isn't picky. One of my favourite cases is AA1-2 despite being very easy, it's just that the case has excellent drama.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I have to say though, the growth of Naruhodou is woah. The way we are constantly introduced with new animations is great. His new slam desk animation in case 3 feels like a direct attack on Zieks. So much power and conviction in it too

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Question regarding one thing in DGS case 3 (and case 5 for that matter):

Did they explain why the trunk beneath the seat in the coach was filled with stuff at the beginning of the trial? After all during case 5 Gina tells you she indeed hid there during the murder.
Never outright said but it can be assumed that Beppo filled it before Case 3's trial started as just part of his "routine" because he wasn't aware it was empty on that night and Megundal realized that clashed with his planned scenario to clear him, so he had his goons / Gina empty the seat during the smokescreen. Gina did empty the seat on the night of the murder, saying she dumped the stuff in an alley while Beppo was getting food.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
As someone not into Android emulation, how does this (IrisMobile /TGAA on Android) work? What would I have to to and where to buy to play this on Android?

flowsnake

Oct 25, 2017
What does Naruhodou wear on the back of his hand? The closest thing I've found is a "kote" used in kendo, but I couldn't see anything in the context of uniforms.

R1LOIwL.png

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Case 3 was good. I was lukewarm on Zieks at first but the way he handles himself with his own agenda rather than being a foil to Naruhodou is a very cool thing to do