• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game, really liked it overall! But man, heavy cliffhangers to leave on lol.

I'm a dumbass and spoiled key parts of DGS2 for myself, hopefully by the time the fan translation is out I can forget lol.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game, really liked it overall! But man, heavy cliffhangers to leave on lol.

I'm a dumbass and spoiled key parts of DGS2 for myself, hopefully by the time the fan translation is out I can forget lol.

I'm curious as to what you spoiled yourself on, but one big DGS2 spoiler almost certainly isn't as big as you think - the game barely tries to hide it.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious as to what you spoiled yourself on, but one big DGS2 spoiler almost certainly isn't as big as you think - the game barely tries to hide it.
Ah, I went deep into the Ace Attorney wiki so I did a lot lol...

Asougi being alive, van Zieks brother being a serial killer, and Vortex being the big bad

I still have the individual cases to look forward though and who knows what I'll remember by the time I actually play it.

Still, I have no damn self control and wish i didn't do what I did lmao.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I went deep into the Ace Attorney wiki so I did a lot lol...

I still have the individual cases to look forward though and who knows what I'll remember by the time I actually play it.

That first one is what I meant by "DGS2 barely tries to hide it", though of course it's preferred to go in blind. The other two are bigger, but again, you'll see what you recall when you play it.

Rule number one: never look up anything on the AA wiki that might be related to a game you haven't played, lol.

Also, just to be on the safe side, you might want to remove that spoiler altogether, in case someone misreads and thinks you're referring to case 2 of this game or something.

Oct 25, 2017
That first one is what I meant by "DGS2 barely tries to hide it", though of course it's preferred to go in blind. The other two are bigger, but again, you'll see what you recall when you play it.

Rule number one: never look up anything on the AA wiki that might be related to a game you haven't played, lol.
Oh I knew what I was getting into, complete lapse in judgement in my part haha.

Still, cannot wait to play the second game. Playing through this one has made me realize I truly cannot tire of the formula, love each game.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
At least with Vortex, it's pretty obvious - at least to me. He looks somewhat similar to Damon Gant, and acts like him too.
1050195_1339443018303_full.jpg

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
getting this going on my phone was way more painless than I thought it would be, really digging it so far

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I knew what I was getting into, complete lapse in judgement in my part haha.

Still, cannot wait to play the second game. Playing through this one has made me realize I truly cannot tire of the formula, love each game.

Usually in the Ace Attorney games the "why" and "how" are more important than the "who", so I wouldn't mind it too much. E.g. I also know the first spoiler of yours, but now I am all about "how was this possible?" and "why did that happen?".

May 17, 2018
I've decided to go ahead and hack my 3ds to do this and I've started downloading required files. But before I commit I want to check. If I follow this video first https://youtu.be/UJZYBS_eeLY followed by this one https://youtu.be/g7xCx-E_5Uo after approx the 8 minute mark - will that get me to a point where I just need the game and patch. Or should I follow the first video only and just consult the hack guide instructions ?

May 17, 2018
I added all the files to get the homebrew up and running but everyone I remove the sd card those files just disappear ! If I plug it back into my pc it's as if I've done nothing. I can delete all the folders then eject it and when I put it back in they're all there again. It's as if it's not being committed so I'm kind of stuck. Has anyone found this before ? Faulty Micro SD card (even though it appears fine when using on the 3ds)?

Oct 25, 2017
I added all the files to get the homebrew up and running but everyone I remove the sd card those files just disappear ! If I plug it back into my pc it's as if I've done nothing. I can delete all the folders then eject it and when I put it back in they're all there again. It's as if it's not being committed so I'm kind of stuck. Has anyone found this before ? Faulty Micro SD card (even though it appears fine when using on the 3ds)?
seems like your SD card is dying.

By the way, if you haven't finished installing Luma3DS, I recommend following this site rather than any video, mainly because everything is up to date, and it's extremely clear:

https://3ds.hacks.guide/

May 17, 2018
seems like your SD card is dying.

By the way, if you haven't finished installing Luma3DS, I recommend following this site rather than any video, mainly because everything is up to date, and it's extremely clear:

https://3ds.hacks.guide/
Thanks for the reply and advice. I'll get a new one and have another go. I'm guessing I can just copy over the current files on my card to the new one?

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Just finished case 3. The game is getting really boring. Everything unfolds way too fast with poor pacing all around. I have to wait until case 4 for a traditional investigation AND trial ? Fuck that. I guess they'll shoehorn Holmes, too.
The music is nice tho.

May 17, 2018
Got a new sd card and got everything up and running. Godmode9 1.8 wouldn't work for me but 1.7 worked fine. On the dai guakuten instrucions it says to put the file into the Luma/payload folder. And it warns not to launch godmode9. So do I remove godmode 9 from that folder as well or just leave them both in ?

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the reply and advice. I'll get a new one and have another go. I'm guessing I can just copy over the current files on my card to the new one?
You should be fine to do that.
Got a new sd card and got everything up and running. Godmode9 1.8 wouldn't work for me but 1.7 worked fine. On the dai guakuten instrucions it says to put the file into the Luma/payload folder. And it warns not to launch godmode9. So do I remove godmode 9 from that folder as well or just leave them both in ?
You don't need to remove godmode9, just make sure to launch the DGS1-Patcher instead.

May 17, 2018
Great thanks for the advice. Ordered the game last night (along with the glorious best price label) so looking forward to finally playing through

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having hard time playing this, it feels slow and it reminds me of P5 and how they repeat the same things over and over and over.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Am I wrong in thinking there's a relatively big plot hole in case 2?

Am I misunderstanding the whole drugged chicken thing? Wasn't that done so they could make the emergency stop to cover up the crime? But the crime wasn't premeditated and happened between 1 and 2 AM in the morning, so there's absolutely no way they would've known they needed to drug the chicken by the time they served it.

Or is it the case they drugged everyone to smuggle the girl aboard (with an emergency stop?), all the bad stuff happens, and then they close up the room with a second emergency stop?! Do we know what time she boarded the ship? This is bugging me to no end.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Am I wrong in thinking there's a relatively big plot hole in case 2?

Am I misunderstanding the whole drugged chicken thing? Wasn't that done so they could make the emergency stop to cover up the crime? But the crime wasn't premeditated and happened between 1 and 2 AM in the morning, so there's absolutely no way they would've known they needed to drug the chicken by the time they served it.

Or is it the case they drugged everyone to smuggle the girl aboard (with an emergency stop?), all the bad stuff happens, and then they close up the room with a second emergency stop?! Do we know what time she boarded the ship? This is bugging me to no end.
Your second guess.

They drugged the chicken so no one would notice they made a normal, unscheduled stop to pick up Nikomina. She then accidentally killed Asougi so she and meat head needed to frame Naruhodo. He used the emergency stop to force the ship to tilt, locking the cabin door to make a sealed room with just Asougi's body and Naruhodo and taking advantage of none of the passengers noticing the emergency stop because they were still drugged. I'm surprised none of them fell out of their beds!

Also they picked her up at the same time they stopped making entries in the ship's log if you want to know the specific time.

I always make it a point to eat some chicken when I replay this case. >_>

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Your second guess.

They drugged the chicken so no one would notice they made a normal, unscheduled stop to pick up Nikomina. She then accidentally killed Asougi so she and meat head needed to frame Naruhodo. He used the emergency stop to force the ship to tilt, locking the cabin door to make a sealed room with just Asougi's body and Naruhodo and taking advantage of none of the passengers noticing the emergency stop because they were still drugged. I'm surprised none of them fell out of their beds!

Also they picked her up at the same time they stopped making entries in the ship's log if you want to know the specific time.

I always make it a point to eat some chicken when I replay this case. >_>
Fair enough. It got confusing since she came over on a lifeboat, so they didn't need to dock or anything to pick her up.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. It got confusing since she came over on a lifeboat, so they didn't need to dock or anything to pick her up.
Uh...you're aware that a steamship goes a hell of a lot faster than a lifeboat, right? You don't think a paraglider could catch up to a plane, do you?

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Uh...you're aware that a steamship goes a hell of a lot faster than a lifeboat, right? You don't think a paraglider could catch up to a plane, do you?
It being a steamship in specific didn't play a huge role in the case itself, so I didn't think about it much. The only thing I remember in regards to the ship in regards to time was that they had been on it for a long, long time.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA

Don't feel bad. I did this for DRV3, but sadly by the time it got localized I recalled all the spoilers. lol I am also a dumbass.

VXLbeast

Nov 28, 2017
I always wondered if this would be a good entry point to the series. The setting is really appealing to me.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Finished this the other day. I'm still looking forward to DGS2, but I thought it was really, really, disappointing.

All of the cases are super short and feels like they put in the bare minimum in terms of cross examining. In the other Ace Attorney games, it felt each mystery had a bunch of individual pieces to figure out as you go along, while here it just felt like they tried to streamline everything way too much. I REALLY hate that DGS did away with having two investigation and two court sections for each case, because now the mysteries are so much smaller in scope.

And it certainly didn't help that Case 2 sucks and has no trial and Case 3 is only a trial and one that doesn't even have a proper conclusion. Over half of the game is just an overly long prologue, and that's on top of the fact that THE ENTIRE GAME is just a REALLY LONG prologue to DGS2.

Does anyone know if DGS2 remedies any of these problems?

Also, during Case 5 I came up with a tin foil hat theory that based on the ending, I'm half convinced is true

Asougi isn't dead, he faked his death as some sort of galaxy brain scheme to have Naruhodou replace him as the exchange student. He was planning this from the get-go, and sneaked Naruhodou aboard the ship for that reason. Holmes is definitely in on it, that's why he let Naruhodou stay at his place to begin with, and maybe Hosonaga got roped into it as well since his help would be needed to convince everyone that Asougi actually died.

The thing with Nikomina was an accident, of course, but Asougi used it to his advantage and played dead until he could conspire with Holmes to fabricate his death. If true, this would mean that he totally threw Nikomina under the bus with this plot, but considering that this would also mean that Asougi is the type of person who's willing to let his best friend think he's dead for a while, it kinda checks out.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I'm finally able to play this game thanks for the fans translation and the help of a close friend.

I'm playing the final case now and it feels to me like the whole point of this game is to build Naruhodo's character. there is certainly a lot of foreshadowing for the next game which seems like it will be an epic conclusion.

I will continue my old habit of giving a rank for each case.

Case1: 4/5
Shu Takumi again outdid himself in how he introduces the player to the world/setting of his game. immediately there is a lot of tension and a very complicated situation. this case is one of the best first cases in the entire series along Apollo Justice's first case and Investigations 2's first case. its very hard for me to determine which one is my favorite.
i like Asougi's character, and how Takumi portrayed how much Asians/Japanese idolized and still idolizing the west. and how the west looks down on Asians/Japanese. he did this with his comical, somehow comedic way, but the game is fully aware of what it is doing.

Case2: 3/5
This is a very... unusual case for the franchise.
The death of Asougi wasn't surprising, but the way he died was. I'm sure this case caused a lot of controversy in Japan between the fans. Asougi's trust into his friend, and his willingness to help a stranger, led him to his death, its not a message that the AA franchise usually relay. and the girl's doubts led her to murder. also, was the murder an accident or a crime? the case kept going back and forth around this, which helped to keep the reader guessing until the very end.

this case didn't have any courtroom action which was unusual for the franchise. it was similar to AAI games.

case3: 4/5
This is my favorite case in the game and maybe one of my favorite cases in the franchise. this case broke the curse of the third case in this series :P
The most impressive thing in this case is how it happened inside a very,very small place and yet it was surprising very hard to solve. the client was a bad guy as Shu Takumi used this case to further building Naruhodo's character while also countering criticisms of previous works about Phoenix Wright being too naive in his blind trust in his clients.
this was also an unusual case in the franchise... having no investigation, and ending with a terrible accident, and dragging a win for a criminal.

up to this point i was thinking that this game is a masterpiece. the setting is fantastic and all the cases were interesting so far, but then.. case 4 happened.

Case4: 2/5
This case is the "filler" case of this game. it is a typical AA case without anything special. but sadly, it is the fourth case in the game, and instead of building for an epic ending for this chapter in the story, it just did the opposite..

I've been told to not expect much from case 5 (which I'm playing right now) too.

the game started out very strong but it didn't keep it up all the way, it feels to me like the introduction chapter to a much bigger story, and while this makes comparisons with past installments a bit unfair, it is not Shu Takumi's best work.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, this is weird. I bought the game from the Japanese Google Play store on Android a couple of weeks ago, using a prepaid 3000 yen card from PlayAsia. It installed and patched fine, everything worked great.

Then my phone broke and had to be repaired. Obviously during the repair, it was wiped and I lost everything on it. As part of reinstalling and re-logging in to everything since I got my phone back yesterday, I thought I'd reinstall DGS.

I signed in to the account I purchased it from, checked my purchase history in the Play Store, and there it is. Except... when I press install, it asks me to pay again! I know I've bought it, as it still shows the left over 480 yen in my account, and it shows in my purchase history. It just doesn't let me install it.

So I tried signing in to the Play store via the web. The game is there, and shows as "installed". I click on that to reinstall and the only device listed is my phone from before the repair (this same phone, but showing as last used a couple of weeks ago). No other devices are listed despite me being signed in to the phone here right now. It's almost as if the purchase is locked to one phone and one phone only, which is bizarre.

Has anyone run into anything like this? It looks like I'm out of a purchase at the moment, which sucks. Maybe I should wait a day or two and see if it fixes itself since I only signed into the DGS purchase account on the repaired phone less than an hour ago. Maybe it takes a while to sync up. It being in my purchase history with an install button but asking me to buy again is bizarre, though.

EDIT: Panic over! It's installing now. I logged in via the web again and it updated my phone's "last used" date to today. This time when I pressed install, it worked and started downloading. Phew!

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Done with case 3, so far it's... underwhelming?

1-1 goes on for too long and has some weird logic, 1-2 may be one of the easiest cases in the franchise, which is a problem considering how long it is (Those deduction sequences, ugh...), 1-3 feels like another extended tutorial that doesn't get real until 2/3.
The creepy feelings the defendant gives are nice, though.

It honestly feels like a budget game due to the lack of exploration/investigation parts, everything unfolds automatically.

Some other randoms though:

1) Because of the Jury-system, gameplay-wise the game feels like the sequel to Apollo Justice we never got
2) Characters are really nice, I was expecting Phoenix and Maya v2, but they give completely different vibes. They feel more like platonic friends (Instead of siblings like Phoenix and Maya) and Sutato is very competent
3) Art design and character design are fantastic
4) This
Vortex
dude screams SECRETLY EVIL DUDE lol

Last edited:

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Finished case 2. Not impressed, which sucks after a great introduction in case 1. I think this game will have too much bloat judging from case 2.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Almost done with case 4 and wow, this was hot garbage.

I was excited to finally play a "complete" case, but the game keeps getting easier and easier.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it on my 3DS this weekend past and I honestly preferred this to any other Ace Attorney game I've played since #4. I was ambivilent about 5 and did not enjoy 6 at all. I love all the little touches, like when Ryuu mis-slams the table and the almost smaller feeling scale of the story. Case 2 was a highlight for me, just because I loved the change of structure and I loved the aesthetic of the deductions system.

So excited for #2.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
I am in the last case of DGS and wow, this game is really good! Like, the best Ace Attorney game I have played since #3 or maybe Apollo Justice. It is a crime this is not seeing a release outside of Japan...

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Done with the last case.

Welp, this continued the streak of disappointing cases. It quite lacked the "Oooomph" any other x-4 had.

Overall, I rank the game only over DD, but that's because DD is really a shit game. I like the cast and the presentation is lovely, but the brain-dead difficulty killed any potential this game may have had. Everything becomes a slog because the game constantly slows down to let you engage with stupidly easy minigames. At one point I started to fear the jury, and Holmes' deductions are just painful to sit through.

The game feels as big and long as the other PH games (And with better production values?) but for some reason it feels like half of the game is incomplete or a tutorial and only the last case feels like a complete game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Got as far as starting the case 4 trial. I'm enjoying it quit a lot so far. The game does have a fairly unusual structure compared to other AA games, and there have been some unexpected narrative beats that I can already see in this thread have disappointed people, but I'm finding it quite refreshing. The presentation is certainly top-notch, with some of the best music in the series and definitely the smoothest and flashiest animation.

I can understand that people looking for proper standalone 2 day cases (which the first 3 certainly aren't), and that they're more meant for slowly building up the characters and setting than anything else. I don't mind it too much, the slow pacing is suiting me fine for now.

If there are complaints to be had, it's that I'm struggling to pin down van Zieks' character beyond 'slightly apologetic Castlevania reject', and that Iris Watson feels really out of place, both in the setting and series. Holmes has a few weird elements too, but he feels like he's meant to be this larger-than-life wildcard so he pulls it off much better.

I'm also not sure what to make of Susato yet. While I appreciate that her restrained and qualified demeanour is a nice change of pace from the usual energetic peppy sidekick mould, I worry that the writers have a relatively dry well of traits to draw on for this role.

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked Ziek's character design and animations, but yeah, he isn't given too much material compared to Edgeworth or Godot. He's mostly carried by his own charisma. Honestly, a big problem I had was
that everything felt so unconnected to the main cast, there is no Fey Clan or DL-6 tying everything together. The Hound of Baskerville is probably the closer thing the game has to those, but it's not really elaborated much.

Iris is awful.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I want to like van Zieks. I like his design and his theme's a banger. But I'm finding it hard to describe him outside of those aspects. With all the other prosecutors (the newer ones included), you at least got a sense of their unique personality quirks within the first trial session with them. I guess he's fairly polite and professional? Others have mentioned his apparent disdain for Japanese people as being a trait, but it's one he shares with a good number of characters up to this point. I wonder if there's something more obvious in the original Japanese text that didn't quite survive translation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wrapped this up tonight, thought I'd dump the rest of my thoughts. The highlight of the game was probably case 3, with case 4 being the low point. Case 5 fluctuated a bit but the last stretch had some really satisfying logic puzzles to solve. I liked the new mechanics, though I can understand that the joint reasoning/deduction can drag on for quite a bit, though the presentation and music were slick enough that I was ok with it. Speaking of the music, I'll reiterate that I think it might be the best in the series. There's hardly a weak track in the soundtrack, and more than its fair share of bangers.

Main characterwise,

Naruhodou definitely feels more Apollo than he does Phoenix, though I note that he's a fair bit more blunt and sometimes even aggressive towards people. Interesting that he never acts disrespectfully towards the prosecution, whereas Phoenix or Apollo would occasionally make some derogatory comments (inwardly or outwardly).

I wasn't sure what to think of Susato, but I grew to like how she and Naruhodou balanced each other out in court. While a lot of assistants are often just in court for moral support, having an actual legit legal assistant to provide sensible and logical advice in regards to court procedure makes her as much a mentor as an assistant (if not more so), and it's a refreshing change. That's why it's all the more frustrating that the last case benches her for Iris, of all people.

I like Holmes a lot, his general antics and occasional dickishness make him a lot of fun. That he's almost entirely restricted to investigation sequences helps prevent him from taking over the game too much, so that Naruhodou doesn't get overshadowed in trials as well (since god knows Holmes can be a scene stealer).

My opinions on Iris haven't changed. I don't really understand what she brings to the game besides her being Watson's daughter, and the whole "10 year old medical doctor/bestselling author/inventor genius" is a bit too much even for Ace Attorney. She's also present for the entirety of the last case, probably with more total screentime than Holmes himself.

Barok Van Zieks will likely be more interesting in the sequel, but for the time being he's a bit bland. His design and theme is great, but there's not much more to him right now. I also feel he's written somewhat inconsistently: sometimes he's incredibly thorough, endeavouring to explore any and all possibilities to find the truth. Other times he seems keen to just end the trial as soon as a guilty verdict looms. It feels like they tried to make a more antagonistic version of Klavier but peppered in parts of AA1 Edgeworth seemingly at random. Though his best moments were in case 3, which was effectively a reverse Turnabout Samurai. The defence slowly coming to the realisation that the defendant actually did it and the prosecution is on the right side of justice did well to sell the idea of van Zieks being a legitimately just prosecutor. But again, that becomes a bit inconsistent in later cases. His whole curse/Grim Reaper thing ends up not being a bit lacklustre, with characters occasionally talking about it but nothing ever really coming of it. No doubt something for DGS 2.

As far as the ending is concerned,

I knew that there was going to be a fair few plot thread left loose (since that seemed to be the main criticism levelled at it when it was released in Japan), but it's a bit unsatisfying that basically none of them get resolved in this game. Besides the whole Cosney Megundal thing (which I do think was a cool subplot), all the overarching subplots are left up in the air. If I didn't know DGS 2 was a thing, I'd be pretty annoyed that the game's potential failure could lead to no resolution for any of them.

Last edited:

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
So i am looking for some help on this. I am trying to find out if it is possible to buy a physical copy and patch it to play on my 3ds or is dumping the rom after buying it and emulation the only way?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
So i am looking for some help on this. I am trying to find out if it is possible to buy a physical copy and patch it to play on my 3ds or is dumping the rom after buying it and emulation the only way?

You play with the physical copy in the slot and custom firmware loads a patch on top of it.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably the worst game in the series, which is still a solid 8/10. The cases were pretty weak and the twists, especially the final one in case 5, far too on the nose. The art team gave it their all and the music is downright gorgeous though.

I'm glad I got to play it anyway, here is to DGS 2!

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Probably the worst game in the series, which is still a solid 8/10. The cases were pretty weak and the twists, especially the final one in case 5, far too on the nose. The art team gave it their all and the music is downright gorgeous though.

I'm glad I got to play it anyway, here is to DGS 2!

I'd personally put it above Investigations 1, if only for how much I enjoyed cases 2 and 3. Top marks for animation and music as well. Assuming DGS1 and DGS2 were initially written as a single game (which I've heard is the case) then hopefully it all comes together in the end.

Wakawun

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to playing this. My first reaction: HOLY SHIT THE OST!!! HOLY SHIT THE ANIMATIONS!!!

Coming from just replaying AA:Trilogy on the 3DS to this - it's insane! I have played the newer AA's a few years back and may have forgotten how good the games look in 3D.

But that soundtrack tho.... ( 14:12 Asougi Kazuma~ Messenger Samurai )

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I'm bout to start this. Pretty excited. Though the impressions in this thread aren't too reassuring. Wonder when we'll see DGS2, they are already working on it, right?