• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wakawun

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished it. I liked it overall.

Generally with these games I like to turn off the 'skip unread text' option but for this one I just couldn't. There are too many brain-dead obvious clues where you know exactly what's going on - but unfortunately have to sit through pages of mundane text as the characters slowly figure it out. It's not a good sign when the player is miles ahead of the supposedly 'ace' attorneys and detectives. Minus 100 points.

However - this is without a doubt the best soundtrack I've heard in an Ace Attorney game. Full stop. +100 points there.

The characters aren't fully developed but they all have their own charisma (minus Iris... sorry just not into unexplained genius girl trope) and INCREDIBLE animations. +50 points there.

I like the new deduction mechanics as it's a more interesting way of approaching investigations compared to sync-locks. Just needed a bit better tightening in the pace. But boy did I hate the jury system. It was repetitive, predictable and offered no challenge whatsoever. 0 points on the balance.

Setting and story was executed very well. A monumentally good effort in world building. A strong plot-line that got us from Japan to Great Britain. Interesting historical and technological events that coincide with the era. Even if not completely accurate, it did capture the wonderment at the opening up of the world and international intrigue. But, we're left with a cliffhanger ending with most of the biggest questions unanswered. +20 points.

If you're an Ace Attorney fan then yes, 100% you must play this. It's nowhere near the best Ace Attorney though, so don't make this your first one if you haven't jumped in the series before.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Souseki has to be the best animated character. I love his antics and he hits me right in the feels sometimes

Wakawun

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man you are so right. I sat there watching his animation for five minutes because it was so full of personality.

I only just found out that he was a real person in Japanese history.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't stand Souseki. >_> I liked him later though.

I liked Van Zieks animations the most because of how varied and intimidating they were while still being Ace Attorney silly. When he went "2nd form" I went nuts. He also has to be be much more impactful since you only interact with him in court during the first game so he has limited time to make an impression.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I just finished the first case. Honestly really impressed so far. It was easy but pretty meaty for the first case (took me 4 hours) and I was really impressed with the animation & soundtrack.

The translation seems very good so far too. If you just put it in front of me and told me it was official with no prior knowledge about it, I would never have guessed it was unofficial. Feels very in line with the official translations of prior games.

Looking forward to playing this on my commute in the coming weeks.

Wakawun

Oct 27, 2017
The translation is stunning. I'd say it's better than the official translations - plus they made very thoughtful decisions on which names to localise and not. Big ups to the entire team!

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If there's a criticism to be had, it's that "What do you mean?" and its various derivatives constitutes a hefty part of the script, though apparently the translators did their best in toning it down from the original. I also don't think an official translation would be quite as blunt with the anti-Japanese racism and I know that's been a bit of a contentious point in this thread in the past. YMMV on how much it affects the game.

As far as names go, they're fine except for
Hart Vortex
which is just plain hilarious to me. It's almost on par with the British Viceroy, Jet Jenkins, from Way of the Samurai.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Which names were changed? I can't find any.

According to the wiki, only one witness in the third case

Adam Ladyfirst was initially called Adam Redifast.

Bear in mind a lot of the characters are originally from Sherlock Holmes stories, or at least take their names from them, so changing names doesn't make much sense in their cases.

Some of the Japanese characters have their names spelled a little bit differently from their Hepburn romanisation, on account of the macron accent not really being a thing in common English (i.e. Asougi instead of Asōgi).

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
Just completed it. I think the game is fantastic. I don't really have anything bad to say about it. Translation is great too. Great music.