• It's the most wonderful time of the year! Make your list and check it twice. The ResetEra Games of the Year 2019 Voting Thread is now live. Voting will be open for the next 5 days, 19 hours, 53 minutes, 52 seconds, and will close on Jan 26, 2020 at 9:00 AM.

Daigo Umehara: "I got punched in the face repeatedly in the arcade"

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Have you been to a modern FGC event ? Sure things were bad back then. But people and the community are working on improving things now. Its not perfect , but people do take action.
Look I'm not saying FGC is a pinacle of male toxicity or some shit I was replying to this comment at the start and trying to point out it was disingenuous at best :
"FGC is toxic"...

These sort of things could happen at a Basketball game or Soccer game where I grew up.

People are toxic.
Saying "FGC has toxic culture " isn't really wrong , but saying "This ONLY happens in the FG genre" is factually wrong and isn't deflecting criticism. This happens in all competitive gaming genres and sports.
I totally agree with this and I don't think I've said anything to the contrary in this thread. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear in my posts.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
Where I was from in LA, throwing was such a cheap move, that even done on accident a "considerate' player would pull their hands up off the controls to let the opponent take a free hit/throw. Lot of gang cholo types also played, very badly and angry too.

I was lucky enough to have one sf2 machine near me that allowed me to use the Guile handcuffs. Seem to calm/cause alot of anger...

Now imagine someone pulling this out in the 90s...
I remember someone pulling this out once at Funland in downtown Toronto and lets just say it wasn't pretty.